Icon of the Seas has officially left the shipyard

There are some people on the boat you can follow on social who are posting periodic photos. It seems as if they had some of the staff/crew join the ship in Finland, not sure if it's for rehearsals or simply to help get the ship ready.

On Instagram, @iampoppybristow, @paulagilabert, @brie.dias, @ichkogranat, @anuka1220, and @gustavo_fujikawa are on the ship. Some of them were on previous Royal contracts as part of the aqua show and are joining on for the first cast of Icon.

I'm sure there are other accounts (feel free to post in replies).

No photos of the inside of the ship so far, but updates here and there. 

On 12/1/2023 at 1:55 PM, jeffmw said:

There are some people on the boat you can follow on social who are posting periodic photos. It seems as if they had some of the staff/crew join the ship in Finland, not sure if it's for rehearsals or simply to help get the ship ready.

On Instagram, @iampoppybristow, @paulagilabert, @brie.dias, @ichkogranat, @anuka1220, and @gustavo_fujikawa are on the ship. Some of them were on previous Royal contracts as part of the aqua show and are joining on for the first cast of Icon.

I'm sure there are other accounts (feel free to post in replies).

No photos of the inside of the ship so far, but updates here and there. 

I'm guessing the employees would get in trouble for releasing inside ship photos of the ship before the first cruise

9 hours ago, Doug_Texas said:

Wow, looks like she is getting work done in Cadiz. I wonder if that will be an extended time parking spot needing to kill time for a month.  

Icon is getting fitted in Cadiz. Art, furniture, crew members, et al.

Wonder did the same thing in Marseilles for a few weeks.

On 12/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, Scott M said:

Just saw a pic of her in dry dock, is that typical of a new build?  Understand finishing touches, but that seemed odd.

It could be any number of things. It could be logistical, having to do with dock capabilities, labor, perhaps the location of items that need to go onto the boat, etc. If the furniture, for example, is being sourced out of an area that's easier to get to Cadiz than Finland, maybe it's easier to stop there on the way. They're in completely different areas of Europe facing different bodies of water so it may be easier to bring the boat to the appropriate people and cargo rather than the other way around. Perhaps the Finland port is more expensive and better for heavy duty construction while Cadiz is cheaper and better for putting on finishing touches, etc. Again, no evidence to support any of this, but all could be viable reasons for something like this. Doesn't seem too odd to me. 

4 hours ago, jeffmw said:

It could be any number of things. It could be logistical, having to do with dock capabilities, labor, perhaps the location of items that need to go onto the boat, etc. If the furniture, for example, is being sourced out of an area that's easier to get to Cadiz than Finland, maybe it's easier to stop there on the way. They're in completely different areas of Europe facing different bodies of water so it may be easier to bring the boat to the appropriate people and cargo rather than the other way around. Perhaps the Finland port is more expensive and better for heavy duty construction while Cadiz is cheaper and better for putting on finishing touches, etc. Again, no evidence to support any of this, but all could be viable reasons for something like this. Doesn't seem too odd to me. 

Your explanations make perfect sense for docking in a different location.  But Scott M said Icon was in dry dock (as in out of the water).  That does sound unusual at this point.  Anybody confirm if that was actually the case or just an old photo?

It's actually in the dry dock.  From the pictures I've seen I can't tell if the dry dock has been drained (ship is out of the water) but I'd assume they wouldn't have tied up the dry dock unless they were going to take it out of the water.  I was wondering what they might be doing as well.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it was planned and not an unexpected issue.  

5 minutes ago, Jjohnb said:

It's actually in the dry dock.  From the pictures I've seen I can't tell if the dry dock has been drained (ship is out of the water) but I'd assume they wouldn't have tied up the dry dock unless they were going to take it out of the water.  I was wondering what they might be doing as well.  Whatever it is, I'm sure it was planned and not an unexpected issue.  

Yes, seen plenty of photos and it's definitely out of water, but that could mean anything. There may be some additional work to do under the water line. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article on the stop in Spain - Picked up the 10,000 plants for Central Park since Finland has such a different climate.  Used the dry dock for Azipod repairs, and updates to box coolers and sea chests.  (Whatever that means).

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/12/royal-caribbeans-icon-receives-10000-plants-in-spain/

10 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

Here's an article on the stop in Spain - Picked up the 10,000 plants for Central Park since Finland has such a different climate.  Used the dry dock for Azipod repairs, and updates to box coolers and sea chests.  (Whatever that means).

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/12/royal-caribbeans-icon-receives-10000-plants-in-spain/

Bit concerning that it already needs repairs to one of it's Azipods

They are removing the last of the building material and bringing a few more interior things onboard.   They are also doing all of their coast guard safety drills, along with other safety and regulatory tests.  Also the last of the crew will join and all crew will go through US customs.  Finally the final shipyard workers are departing.   They will stay there until the 6th and then they will leave and head to coco cay for the 8th, then will arrive in Miami at 07:00 ET on the 9th.

• 3 weeks later...