Well now we know what is to come for Diamond members

RCIfan1912

🙂 I don't expect the poster to willingly cop to hyperbole without a 

It's a few hours.  They had to cut somewhere so Diamond is the place.  It hardly equates to having to work in the engine room.

I really doubt they turn diamonds away if you just show up.

42 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Over a couple hours in a lounge, this is how you feel?

They have limited space and capacity issues.  That's the reality.

You shouldn't feel like a peon, but you should feel entitled to less than those at Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.  That's who gets that access in those hours.   They earned it.  If a day comes when it can only be Pinnacle,  so be it.

There are so many better places on the ship to spend those hours.

I was joking, only making a joke. I always feel awkward in those places anyway. I'm a blue collar guy, I belong in the engine room. 🤣 the only time we had a suite and a good one was on Explorer in a Grand suite. We had access to some lounge and it was not that special and again felt awkward.

This cruise that starts on Thursday is our first as Diamond. The 4 drinks are really all we are looking forward to anyway. We have two kids so we probably won't make in here at all anyway. 

31 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I always feel awkward in those places anyway.

It's a just room with a coffee machine, some food, and some chairs and tables, nothing to feel awkward about.

And on Oasis class, it's not even a nice room (except for Allure). It's a windowless basement on deck 4, lol.

44 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

I was joking, only making a joke. I always feel awkward in those places anyway. I'm a blue collar guy, I belong in the engine room. 🤣 the only time we had a suite and a good one was on Explorer in a Grand suite. We had access to some lounge and it was not that special and again felt awkward.

This cruise that starts on Thursday is our first as Diamond. The 4 drinks are really all we are looking forward to anyway. We have two kids so we probably won't make in here at all anyway. 

Interesting.  I'm an engine-room kind of guy also.

This discussion has morphed.  First, from the demotion of Diamond members perks, and then, to the actual interest or value, or lack of, of the Diamond Lounge.

I have spent precious little time in the Diamond Lounges.  It's a convenient place to meet up with someone you might have met on a forum such as this, and/or it might be handy to get a C&A grievance settled.  And of lately, it's not even been good for that.

Usually for me, it's been a mostly empty room with water and a coffee machine that is broken.

So for the folks that truly appreciate the Diamond Lounge, I get that, and I am supportive.  For others, like me, if the Diamond Lounge went away for me, I'd likely not notice.

Now the closure of the cigar lounge was much more news worthy...😞

39 minutes ago, RCIfan1912 said:

The 4 drinks per day are the best perk in the industry. Forget about the lowly “crown lounge”. I would rather be in the engine room as well provided I could bring a beverage! 

7 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

It's a just room with a coffee machine, some food, and some chairs and tables, nothing to feel awkward about.

And on Oasis class, it's not even a nice room (except for Allure). It's a windowless basement on deck 4, lol.

Yep, very true. On freedom class or others w/ Viking crown lounge it’s actually a decent place to spend some time. The lounge that was formally known as the diamond lounge on most Oasis class ships is basically a hell hole with a fancy coffee machine. Total waste of space. 

3 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

I think this is part of the overall problem, not @RCIfan1912 in particular, but the earning rates.  We all know the "loopholes" to get those extra points, which was all fun and games when we earned them, but now we're hitting the limits.  I'm all for getting what we've earned, but maybe Royal should change it so that you only get 1 point per night as the standard rate and not do the doubles for single cruisers, gaining a suite, etc...  They could then offer up double points promotions when they need to fill the ship and it could be done on a ship by ship, sailing by sailing basis.  

I sail solo, and the extra point per night (when paying a single supplement) is in recognition that solo cruisers have to buy out the cabin by basically paying fare for a ghost on non-studio cabins on the vast majority of sailings. I don't sail suites, but the extra point there is for how much more expensive a suite is versus a non-suite cabin. Even Celebrity awards points differently depending on cabin booked and how many people are in it.

Double point promos aren't happening anytime soon as Mr. Liberty (I believe) has said. And from the same conversation, Royal will be far more strategic about them in the future. I can also see the company changing to a "Double Points Promo*" where the fine print is earn an extra point per night when staying in any cabin instead of total points per night x2; aka the "Double Points" promotional title is based on nightly points awarded for double occupancy in an interior stateroom category cabin. Thus the maximum amount of points per night is 4, not 6, for sailing solo in a suite. Most people aboard would be earning 2-3 points per night under such a scheme versus 2-4. 

If we’re going to be honest here, I think many people (me included) just hate the idea that there’s some place on the ship (whether it’s a “nice” venue or not) that they canNOT go.  The D/CL/SL is one of those places for some people.  I don’t often frequent the DL/CL but I COULD go if I wanted to.  When you no longer have that option, it’s disappointing.

3 hours ago, RCIfan1912 said:

only time we had a suite and a good one was on Explorer in a Grand suite. We had access to some lounge and it was not that special

IMHO the really beneficial Suite benefits don't kick in unless you're on an Oasis or Quantum class ship.

I've done a Freedom class suite and all the Oasis class ships in grand suites and will not spring for it again on any class without CK and free WiFi

Just now, RCIfan1912 said:

Just out of curiosity where do you find info like that? How many pinnacle, D and D+? Is that readily available info? 

When you go to the top tier event, they show it on a screen. I even took a picture of it because i couldn't believe how few top tier passengers were on the cruise.

On 10/17/2023 at 4:31 PM, Xaa said:

you should feel entitled to less than those at Diamond Plus and Pinnacle.  That's who gets that access in those hours.   They earned it. 

I definitely understand what you're saying but should they really feel less entitled if, when they earned diamond, there was no restriction? Afterall, they also earned it. 

I agree that there are capacity issues since so many tiered-up quickly due to double points. But those double points were offered to entice people to book in the early days when sailing restarted and not too many folks wanted to sail due to mask restrictions, covid tests etc. I don't think it is too much to ask that Royal recognize that all the double-point folks were instrumental to their recovery and should't let their earned benefits slowly erode away due to capacity issues. As a company, they can do better and find another solution. Just my humble opinion. 

58 minutes ago, Sea Squirrel said:

I definitely understand what you're saying but should they really feel less entitled if, when they earned diamond, there was no restriction? Afterall, they also earned it. 

I think yes.   Not in a bad way, but when the benefit is finite and limited, I do think that the D+ and Pinnacle have done everything for the cruise line that the D have done and then some.

I suppose that it doesn't need to be all or none, on a 7 night cruise maybe you could have the D allowed at happy hour 2 nights and the D+ and Pinnacle the other 5 or something. 

I certainly have no negative feelings toward D cruisers.

On 10/18/2023 at 12:48 PM, RCIfan1912 said:

Just out of curiosity where do you find info like that? How many pinnacle, D and D+? Is that readily available info? 

Amazingly enough, on our April trip on Wonder, the cruise director did a 'by the numbers' breakdown of passengers. Started with first time cruisers (Royal or first timers period, I guess) to Pinnacles. Interesting info; that seemed like an occasion to order a drink................