Diamond Lounge

3 hours ago, deButler said:

Doesn’t appear that this was a One Off event related change. I would just consider this a permanent change as we all expected.

Incorrect, as Royal just clarified https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2023/10/30/royal-caribbean-clarifies-why-theyre-restricting-access-loyalty-and-suite-lounges-some

OK, I fully admit that the older I get, the less I understand. But can someone please explain to me "due to the high number of top tier members, Royal Caribbean may restrict access to the Crown, Concierge, and Suite Lounges"?

Specifically here is what I think I am misunderstanding, are they saying there is the possibility of so many Diamond and above members aboard that Royal is fearful that they may all want to be in the good ol' DL during Happy Hour??? And, today they are adding that that Pinnacles can also be restricted from the Suite Lounges for the same reasoning? They are feigning concern about overcrowding, right?

I apologize in advance, I am not very good at subtle. I really am the worst person to have understated words with, I can often be pretty tone deaf when it comes right down to it.

9 hours ago, bobroo said:

They are feigning concern about overcrowding, right?

I don't think they are feigning concern, they have concern about it.  They don't want to restrict the access just to upset the Diamonds.  They just need to address the volume of participants in the CL without dedicating more space to it.

I doubt they care too much if Diamonds eat the pigs in blanket.

52 minutes ago, Cruiser4 said:

Hi! Currently on Transatlantic on Symphony. No restrictions on crown lounge eventhough 3000+ diamonds, diamond+ & pinnacles on board. But the lounge is sooooo full in the evenings that you can’t actually enjoy being there..

Little known fact: You might think to yourself, Gee guys this place is busy for such a small place. The needs or concerns of this group isn't so much that they get together in this specific space, why not have Happy Hour in a different , larger venue say...Dazzles or the Safari Club or the Solarium or 270 or even those little known, unused conference rooms? Boy, that would make a lot of sense. Much larger space. They have already have bars. They already have furniture. In most cases like a solarium on Oasis class or 270 on Quantum class already look elegant in the evening. Good chance these venues have better or closer washroom facilities. So why can't they just do it in there?

Well, I've asked this question in the past. The answer is decisions to move events--even to a better or more accommodating unused venue--must be first requested and second approved by Miami. A ship can not just do it on the fly.

1 hour ago, Xaa said:

I don't think they are feigning concern, they have concern about it.  They don't want to restrict the access just to upset the Diamonds.  They just need to address the volume of participants in the CL without dedicating more space to it.

I doubt they care too much if Diamonds eat the pigs in blanket.

I am trying my hardest NOT to be a crabby, set in his ways old man here. But man o' man I have had a list of overcrowded, inadequate spaces aboard Royal Caribbean for a long time. I'll mention the most egregious: the washrooms closest to any MDR.

And yeah, I don't think they care much about the appetizers. And looking at the appetizers, Diamonds and above don't think much of them either. (I know I just stepped on your feelings @OCSC Mike, go ahead and let me have it)

And I don't think they care much how over stretched a Concierge might be. Just keep it so that they are touching all the bases.

So what is this all about, really???

17 minutes ago, bobroo said:

And yeah, I don't think they care much about the appetizers. And looking at the appetizers, Diamonds and above don't think much of them either. (I know I just stepped on your feelings @OCSC Mike, go ahead and let me have it)

No worries here. Everyone has different preferences. I don't care if I'm in the minority enjoying those snacks. There are obviously tons of things on the ships I don't like that others do. That's what's great about cruising.

FWIW, the snacks seemed pretty popular on Allure last week. I didn't really spend much time there at HH though b/c it was only 5 nights and between 2 specialty dinners and other plans, we were either saving room for dinner or doing something else at 5:00. The breaded shrimp were quite good night one, nothing else overly exciting, but there's always something I can make a small plate of. Very nice breakfast spread though set up before 7am. Was nice to be able to toast a bagel and lox early there since Park Cafe didn't open til 7:30am (I'm an early riser and used to 6:30am on my last couple Oasis class sailings).

According to the Crown Lounge Concierge the threshold for RADIANCE class implementing the Diamond time restriction is set solely by having 39 or more Pinnacles onboard. Diamond and Diamond + are not really factored into their determination. She was not aware as to what threshold has been set on the other classes. 

7 hours ago, bobroo said:

Little known fact: You might think to yourself, Gee guys this place is busy for such a small place. The needs or concerns of this group isn't so much that they get together in this specific space, why not have Happy Hour in a different , larger venue say...Dazzles or the Safari Club or the Solarium or 270 or even those little known, unused conference rooms? Boy, that would make a lot of sense. Much larger space. They have already have bars. They already have furniture. In most cases like a solarium on Oasis class or 270 on Quantum class already look elegant in the evening. Good chance these venues have better or closer washroom facilities. So why can't they just do it in there?

Well, I've asked this question in the past. The answer is decisions to move events--even to a better or more accommodating unused venue--must be first requested and second approved by Miami. A ship can not just do it on the fly.

They did this in September on Jewel - there were 300+ Pinnacle on the cruise so they turned the Safari Club into the Pinnacle Lounge for happy hour.  Worked just fine.

Just to provide a bit of intel, this sailing on Indy (11-6-23) is restricting access to the Crown Lounge during Happy Hour (5:30-8:00) to D+ and Pinns.  Diamonds can go into the Crown Lounge any other time, but not during HH.  IMO, this will be a permanent change on all ships going forward.

Adjacent topic - Pinns are NOT being restricted from the Suites Lounge on this sailing. I also believe that the “top 30 Pinns” in the SL will be a permanent policy.   My guess is that there are fewer than 30 Pinns on this sailing, so basically every Pinn qualified but I look to be restricted from using the SL whenever there are 30 or more Pinns on any given sailing b/c we will be low man on the totem pole for a good while.  I guess we’ll see.

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Adjacent topic - Pinns are NOT being restricted from the Suites Lounge on this sailing. I also believe that the “top 30 Pinns” in the SL will be a permanent policy.   My guess is that there are fewer than 30 Pinns on this sailing, so basically every Pinn qualified but I look to be restricted from using the SL whenever there are 30 or more Pinns on any given sailing b/c we will be low man on the totem pole for a good while.  I guess we’ll see.

i wonder if they will do this for oasis class ships with CK as well or just the lounge?

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

i wonder if they will do this for oasis class ships with CK as well or just the lounge?

There are rumblings in a few FB groups that this is already in place for Nov/Dec HM sailings. I checked my Odyssey sailing for NYE and there's nothing there yet. People are saying that this can be found on the app under "Welcome aboard"

image.thumb.png.357a5456c8900470d8bdd50439d1d92f.png

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

There are rumblings in a few FB groups that this is already in place for Nov/Dec HM sailings. I checked my Odyssey sailing for NYE and there's nothing there yet. People are saying that this can be found on the app under "Welcome aboard"

Yep. That’s pretty much what I expect.  It looks like access to the CK will be completely denied to the “below 30” even for lunch and dinner which totally sucks for us.  At least they’re giving us a breakfast venue.

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

denied to the “below 30”

My question is actually the way it's worded. When they say top 30 pinnacle bookings, does that mean the top 30 "people" or actual "bookings". So for example, that allowed number could be 60+ if they are counting the actual bookings. It's confusing.

The other sad realization that I am coming to, is for the D+ people like us, who are slowly trying to climb that ladder, is there even a point anymore? By the time I get there in a few years, will Pinnacle benefits be so watered down that it won't really matter? Just thinking out loud cause I know that this forum is my safe place to do that, not like those other places out there.

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Or perhaps trying to make room for those new Sky Junior bookings?

oh true, because they will have dedicated/permanent CK access. i think it would only be the suites on deck six though, so it shouldn't be too much of a lift??

...does this mean the rest of us plebs in standard junior suites will ALSO get the boot?!!

rip in pieces. 😭

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

My question is actually the way it's worded. When they say top 30 pinnacle bookings, does that mean the top 30 "people" or actual "bookings". So for example, that allowed number could be 60+ if they are counting the actual bookings. It's confusing.

Who really knows at this point, but I have read elsewhere that it will be determined by the seniority of the top Pinn in the stateroom, and that anyone booked in that same room will be eligible to join him/her regardless of their C&A status.  So I think your latter hypothesis will be the correct one.

8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The other sad realization that I am coming to, is for the D+ people like us, who are slowly trying to climb that ladder, is there even a point anymore? By the time I get there in a few years, will Pinnacle benefits be so watered down that it won't really matter? Just thinking out loud cause I know that this forum is my safe place to do that, not like those other places out there.

I understand your concern.  It’s very real.  

You guys are making me feel silly for being mildly disappointed that I will likely have to go one cruise without my beloved CL HH snacks before we're D+.

I hope everyone is able to make peace with however they are affected by whatever new rules and restrictions are introduced and get back to enjoying cruising rather than worrying about this stuff.

Although this is disappointing, for my next cruise I have devised a strategy for forgetting about most of it:

1. At 7:00AM, I will have Lovely Latte in the Diamond ... er Crown Lounge.
  2. At 9:00AM, I will have a Celebratory Caesar on the pool deck.
  3. At 12:30PM, I will have a Resplendent Rose with lunch.  (I can not believe they have one as good as they do on RC ships these days).
  4. At 5:00PM, I will have a Marvellous Martini at my favourite Bar (with a Bartender I have "trained" to make the Martini absolutely perfect 😉).
  5. At 7:30ish PM, I will have a glass of Wonderful Wine (probably as big a red that they can find).
  6. At 9:30PM. I will have a Superb Scotch in the Schooner Bar (probably one of their best MacAllan's) AND gladly pay the additional charge.

As I roll into bed, none of the changes will matter.  I will sleep well.  If, and when, I wake up the next day, and I am a little bit down ... I will "rinse & repeat" steps 1 to 6 above.

I hope this helps ...

Curt from Canada

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

oh true, because they will have dedicated/permanent CK access. i think it would only be the suites on deck six though, so it shouldn't be too much of a lift??

Yes, Deck 6 JS only. But say there are 8 JS on Deck 6 and they hold a max of 4 people (so they hold 4? I don’t even remember), that is an additional 32 people potentially who now get full access to the suite lounge and CK.

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes, Deck 6 JS only. But say there are 8 JS on Deck 6 and they hold a max of 4 people (so they hold 4? I don’t even remember), that is an additional 32 people potentially who now get full access to the suite lounge and CK.

oh shoot. i didn't even think about this. and you're so right -- because it would be so much more lucrative to pay a sky JS fare for 4 pax than it would be in a higher suite. 😔 and then have full access to CK, suite lounge, etc. oh man.

19 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

In the past the app hasn't really been good for predicting this sort of thing. Just like when a ship alternates between, say, 5 and 9 day cruises, the dinner menus can be messed up if "this cruise" doesn't match the number of days of the cruise you will be going on.

At least in the past, some parts of the app can really only publish information for the current cruise, and it can cause confusion when looking at your future cruise in the app.

7 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

In the past the app hasn't really been good for predicting this sort of thing. Just like when a ship alternates between, say, 5 and 9 day cruises, the dinner menus can be messed up if "this cruise" doesn't match the number of days of the cruise you will be going on.

At least in the past, some parts of the app can really only publish information for the current cruise, and it can cause confusion when looking at your future cruise in the app.

All very true. However, with what people are seeing in multiple sailings in the app, combined with the rumblings that @WAAAYTOOO has heard first handed, and with all the letters from the crown lounge on multiple ships the people are posting, I am not going to be surprised when this is the way going forward.

9 minutes ago, Shari said:

The more they mess with Diamond and up benefits makes me think they are really trying to push the older crowd to Celebrity.  That way they can book more lower level families on Royal for maximum dollars.

Hey! We're about to hit D+ and definitely don't consider ourselves "the older crowd", lol. What are you saying?