Southwest out of MIA

Hello all. I need an update. The last time we flew Southwest out of MIA (Jan 2022), the boarding gates did not have the boarding position posts/cues, and thus boarding was on the honor system. I don't need to tell you how that went. Has it changed? Do they have the posts/positions/cues in place now? We're debarking Liberty in FLL, but Southwest doesn't have a flight to our destination until 5 pm that evening. MIA has a direct flight at 12:50 pm, but the (lack of) honor system at MIA is a deal breaker for me. 

2 hours ago, Baked Alaska said:

Hello all. I need an update. The last time we flew Southwest out of MIA (Jan 2022), the boarding gates did not have the boarding position posts/cues, and thus boarding was on the honor system. I don't need to tell you how that went. Has it changed? Do they have the posts/positions/cues in place now? We're debarking Liberty in FLL, but Southwest doesn't have a flight to our destination until 5 pm that evening. MIA has a direct flight at 12:50 pm, but the (lack of) honor system at MIA is a deal breaker for me. 

Yes I flew MIA in Jan of this year on SWA. They have the metal post, I hate SWA boarding style......and MIA in general. 

28 minutes ago, bobroo said:

I have never ever understood the appeal of Southwest Airlines.(After they took away the liberal free booze policy of course)

Low fares (if booked far enough out), no checked bag fees, can check for price drops, can usually cancel flights for future fight credit, direct flights in places where the legacy carriers must route you through a hub city.  They are a much more consumer friendly airline to do business with.

The trick to surviving the no assigned seats thing to board early.  Either add the cost for early bird to the trip before comparing prices or use their credit card to get free boarding upgrades.  If you are in the B or C boarding group it sucks.  

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Yes I flew MIA in Jan of this year on SWA. They have the metal post, I hate SWA boarding style......and MIA in general. 

This is good news! When the metal posts weren't there, there was no point in flying out of MIA (Missing in Action/Cluster $#@k). @twangster is right. You must pay for better boarding. Even with Early Bird (or sometimes the Anytime fare) added on, the price is usually better than their competition. I love that I can reprice my airfare just like I can reprice cruise fares. 

I love Southwest ordinarily, but am a bit wary after last year's debacle with cancelled flights.   Although, you can reprice Delta and United as well.  I had a flight from Vancouver to San Francisco on United last month (coming home from our Alaskan Cruise) and 3 weeks prior to the cruise I decided to change to a later flight from Vancouver in order to squeeze in a shore excursion in Vancouver.  We ended up getting a $220 credit per person, which was great in purchasing airfare to Fort Lauderdale for our next cruise in November.  It pays to check back on airfare prices after the initial purchase, and it's easy to do through the airline app.  I did the same with Delta last year as well.  

SWA boarding is the only negative, but it is a huge one. However, all the stuff @twangster mentioned is true, just the no checked bag fees alone. Pre-pandemic I mostly flew AA and have/had decent loyalty with them. They changed the tiers, and I haven't flown enough with them to make a status that is worth it. That means bags are a rough one......$60-70 each way on top of the ticket price if you don't do first or business class. Coming from ORD/MDW I cannot always justify $700+ tickets to FLL/MCO/MIA. I hate my experience flying SWA but then I search flights and they always come out ahead. I always get EB, so I am usually no lower than A 35 but the boarding still sucks.

I have found that Southwest is the easiest part of our travel.  Three times  we have had to change flights the day before travel and it eases my mind to not be hit with change fees.  We can keep rebooking if the price goes lower and other airlines look at you sideways if you want the first 2 suitcases free.  I book my husband in Business class and he boards ahead of me and saves me a seat.  I book myself Anytime fare so both of us get the Early Bird check-in with the price of the ticket.  I look at it as flying for a few hours vs driving for days and the low key hassle of Southwest fits our style of travel.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting.  Is this "legal" or just a hack that you have discovered ?  Just wondering if saving seats is allowed.

Saving seats is not allowed but not enforced. On our last SW flight two woman almost got in a fist fight over seat saving. Bring on the popcorn!

23 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting.  Is this "legal" or just a hack that you have discovered ?  Just wondering if saving seats is allowed.

There is the whole drama of the SWA boarding process.  

On my last flight I was A3 so I boarded near the front and got the first row bulkhead window.   The lady in the aisle was saving the middle seat for her husband who "Is in the bathroom".  I heard her tell that over and over again.  Except no one was in the bathroom.  I could see since I was in the first row.  The bathroom door was not shut all the way and it was bumping with the cockpit door.  

Her husband finally boarded and was nearly the last person on the plane.    It was a full flight so I knew someone would be next to me.   Any passenger could have plopped themselves down and taken that seat.  The flight attendants would not stop them if they did.  She was also trying to save overhead bin space for her "medication bag".  Apparently her "medication bag" was in the bathroom with her husband.   Not really.  It was just a carry on.  

On the same flight a few rows back a lady was trying to save three rows for her family.  That didn't end well for her.  She lost the row in front and behind her.  I heard her say "I'm saving this row" and another passenger respond "You can't do that" and with that they sat in that row.  She freaked out and the flight attendants told her you can't save rows.  

People are scum.  They say anything to try to get their way.  

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is the whole drama of the SWA boarding process.  

On my last flight I was A3 so I boarded near the front and got the first row bulkhead window.   The lady in the aisle was saving the middle seat for her husband who "Is in the bathroom".  I heard her tell that over and over again.  Except no one was in the bathroom.  I could see since I was in the first row.  The bathroom door was not shut all the way and it was bumping with the cockpit door.  

Her husband finally boarded and was nearly the last person on the plane.    It was a full flight so I knew someone would be next to me.   Any passenger could have plopped themselves down and taken that seat.  The flight attendants would not stop them if they did.  She was also trying to save overhead bin space for her "medication bag".  Apparently her "medication bag" was in the bathroom with her husband.   Not really.  It was just a carry on.  

On the same flight a few rows back a lady was trying to save three rows for her family.  That didn't end well for her.  She lost the row in front and behind her.  I heard her say "I'm saving this row" and another passenger respond "You can't do that" and with that they sat in that row.  She freaked out and the flight attendants told her you can't save rows.  

People are scum.  They say anything to try to get their way.  

I don't deal well with this kind of situation.  That's why I have always avoided SWA.  I hate flying to begin with so this kind of nonsense is just stress I do NOT need.

I didn't realize SWA even HAD a Business class fare, so that was news to me.  If I was forced to fly SWA for some reason, I guess I would have to spring for the BC fare for both of us.  What a circus.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I didn't realize SWA even HAD a Business class fare, so that was news to me.  If I was forced to fly SWA for some reason, I guess I would have to spring for the BC fare for both of us.  What a circus.

It's called "Business Select" and has nothing to do with true Business Class. You get higher boarding, you get one drink, you get extra miles...but it's the same seat, same legroom, same everything else. Hell, even Spirit offers a bigger seat and legroom on its highest fare (well, technically an add-on, but it's available and it's comfy). 

9 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I don't deal well with this kind of situation.  That's why I have always avoided SWA.  I hate flying to begin with so this kind of nonsense is just stress I do NOT need.

Their business fare is not "business class" like on legacy carriers, they just have features like more flexible changes, early boarding, etc.  Same seats as everyone else, same shenanigans when boarding.   

I read about a couple who tried a new approach.  The husband in the aisle tried to come across as a creep by eagerly greeting and overly smiling at people as they walked down the aisle.  "Sit here next to me".  Naturally a lot of people chose not to.  

Some people fake cough to encourage folks to keep walking.  

I have done Business Select mostly when flying SWA and it is nothing to write home about. I have been A3/4/5 the last three times I flew them and want to guess how many people were in front of me? at least 20+ each time.

Pax use lots of "hacks" to get on first. Tons of people who suddenly need wheelchairs and family member who can board with them, etc. The crappy part is you can buy your ticket together and not be assigned together, so I often save my travel companions seat. Usually it is within 10 spots so its not a big deal but I have seen people space out in rows to ensure their group sits together. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I have done Business Select mostly when flying SWA and it is nothing to write home about. I have been A3/4/5 the last three times I flew them and want to guess how many people were in front of me? at least 20+ each time.

One other thing to consider with WN that you don't have to consider on any other airline - being a stop along a direct flight. You could very well be A10 just to find out 30 through passengers are on the plane coming in, so it's suddenly like you're B40. 

4 hours ago, Zacharius said:

One other thing to consider with WN that you don't have to consider on any other airline - being a stop along a direct flight. You could very well be A10 just to find out 30 through passengers are on the plane coming in, so it's suddenly like you're B40. 

I only do direct, this includes all the people with their travel companions in wheelchairs faking. I am not talking about people who need them but people who get them because they know they will board first because of it. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I only do direct, this includes all the people with their travel companions in wheelchairs faking. I am not talking about people who need them but people who get them because they know they will board first because of it. 

You may be direct but where did the plane come from?

Before arriving for you to board the plane came from somewhere else.  There can be passengers on the plane that are not getting off in the city where you are boarding.  They are "through" passengers.  They never leave the plane.  

Case in point:

A couple of week ago I flew at 8am from MCO to BUF.  Being early in the day it was the first flight for this aircraft on this day.

When we arrived in BUF they requested that any through passenger not getting off in BUF remain in their seats while the rest of us getting off in BUF deplaned.  Once they did a head count any through passengers were free to relocate including into forward rows.

Here is the thing with WN - the next phase of the flight went from BUF to FLL.  There were people who booked MCO to FLL that had to fly toi BUF to get there.  In BUF they were "through" passengers.

If someone with an A1 boarding pass in BUF walked onto the plane all those "through" passengers heading to FLL would have been located in the forward rows even before BUF passenger A1 walked on the plane.  

This is the downfall of WN.

Let's say that there is a big event in MIA.  The Icon inaugural sailing for example.

You are flying Chicago to Miami.

The plane started in Los Angeles, flies to Chicago and then to Miami.

Let's say 150 people board in LAX.  Of those 100 are heading to MIA.  The plane stops in MDW and 50 people get off, but 100 passengers are flying through to MIA.   

You are boarding MDW with an A1 boarding pass.  You are now passenger 101 on the plane in row 20, middle seat.  Welcome to SWA.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

This is the downfall of WN.

Let's say that there is a big event in MIA.  The Icon inaugural sailing for example.

You are flying Chicago to Miami.

The plane started in Los Angeles, flies to Chicago and then to Miami.

Let's say 150 people board in LAX.  Of those 100 are heading to MIA.  The plane stops in MDW and 50 people get off, but 100 passengers are flying through to MIA.   

You are boarding MDW with an A1 boarding pass.  You are now passenger 101 on the plane in row 20, middle seat.  Welcome to SWA.

A true theoretical, but in practice it doesn't typically turn out that badly.

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

A true theoretical, but in practice it doesn't typically turn out that badly.

True, but I have seen the first 8 rows, aisle and window seats taken.  

Row 9 wasn't what I was expecting having paid $40 to upgrade.  There were only two wheelchairs on that day.  

I could have taken a middle seat in row 2 though, to your point.  That's WN.  

As a former A lister for a few years in a row it's not always that bad, but scoring "first class" (row 1) is pretty rare as a solo WN flier.  You just never know.  

On 6/9/2023 at 5:53 AM, bobroo said:

I have never ever understood the appeal of Southwest Airlines.(After they took away the liberal free booze policy of course)

I loathe SW, but my son convinced me to go all in and try it.  His claim is the flexibility of canceling flights, free checked bags, etc.  I have the "companion pass" thing so Mrs Fan flies free at least for this year.  I still loathe them, but I hold my nose and fly with them anyway. I hate the cattle car atmosphere, but you get that with the other carriers too (just not as bad). Once the companion pass has expired and I've used up my points, I'll probably go back to AA or other carriers.  I've learned that you have to book way out to get great pricing with SW otherwise you can get similar pricing with the other carriers.

My worst SW story was years ago I was traveling from Tampa to Las Vegas for work.  SW had a direct flight at the time. So, I took a chance and booked it.  By the time I got on board, all the window and isle seats were gone.  I sat between an older couple. They proceeded to talk over me to each other the entire flight. I asked if they wanted to sit side by side and was flat out turned down. So, I was stuck between them for a 4-hour flight with them talking back and forth and me in the middle. 

3 minutes ago, FSUFAN said:

I've learned that you have to book way out to get great pricing with SW otherwise you can get similar pricing with the other carriers.

That isn't as much the case as it used to be. In the past when they opened their schedule for the next 5 months or so, rates were dirt cheap, but not anymore. Their prices do go down though. I've got a flight next month that has dropped $95 since I booked.

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

That isn't as much the case as it used to be. In the past when they opened their schedule for the next 5 months or so, rates were dirt cheap, but not anymore. Their prices do go down though. I've got a flight next month that has dropped $95 since I booked.

You mean the old  “fly anywhere is the continental US for $35”?

Gee, what could possibly be wrong with that???

13 hours ago, Cactus527 said:

Now I'm curious - what makes MIA so terrible?

the carpeted floor EVERYWHERE — making carryon drag a REAL drag. forget pushing. it’s impossible.

the bathrooms with doors that don’t hang straight on the hinges, leading to fear of exposure and extreme vulnerability in a time when perhaps you would prefer it NOT to be that way 😅😂

SECURITY.

just. no.

even with clear and TSA precheck, the lines and personnel are on another level. 

last time we had people getting flagged thru the precheck line for not taking their laptops out and when they told the TSA that they were precheck, the girl just looked at them and shrugged. (and kept doing it)

not to mention the lack of food options, etc. 

also the airport seems to have not been updated since the 1980s. mind your self, as i am convinced rick astley will pop from around a corner and start rick rolling me. (which maybe would be an upgrade, honestly...)

FLL might be smaller, but it runs much smoother, in our opinion. their precheck and clear is ACTUALLY precheck and clear. their security lines are immense but move quickly. food options are decent. there is a (small) united club to huddle up in, if need be. 

it is relatively well lit. THERE IS TILE FLOOR EVERYWHERE. (clearly i am scarred from dragging my carryon all over creation in MIA 😂

we have two upcoming cruises both sailing out of MIA in the next 12 months and will be flying in and out of FLL and ubering to the port. i know this has gotten mixed reviews but it is the better option for us, especially when it comes to overnight accommodations for the day before flight in. 

/ end rant 😂😂

3 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

the carpeted floor EVERYWHERE — making carryon drag a REAL drag. forget pushing. it’s impossible.

the bathrooms with doors that don’t hang straight on the hinges, leading to fear of exposure and extreme vulnerability in a time when perhaps you would prefer it NOT to be that way 😅😂

SECURITY.

just. no.

even with clear and TSA precheck, the lines and personnel are on another level. 

last time we had people getting flagged thru the precheck line for not taking their laptops out and when they told the TSA that they were precheck, the girl just looked at them and shrugged. (and kept doing it)

not to mention the lack of food options, etc. 

also the airport seems to have not been updated since the 1980s. mind your self, as i am convinced rick astley will pop from around a corner and start rick rolling me. (which maybe would be an upgrade, honestly...)

FLL might be smaller, but it runs much smoother, in our opinion. their precheck and clear is ACTUALLY precheck and clear. their security lines are immense but move quickly. food options are decent. there is a (small) united club to huddle up in, if need be. 

it is relatively well lit. THERE IS TILE FLOOR EVERYWHERE. (clearly i am scarred from dragging my carryon all over creation in MIA 😂

we have two upcoming cruises both sailing out of MIA in the next 12 months and will be flying in and out of FLL and ubering to the port. i know this has gotten mixed reviews but it is the better option for us, especially when it comes to overnight accommodations for the day before flight in. 

/ end rant 😂😂

This is all good to know! I have to fly into MIA soon and I am using Southwest, so I am starting to get a little concerned... 🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Cactus527 said:

This is all good to know! I have to fly into MIA soon and I am using Southwest, so I am starting to get a little concerned... 🤣🤣🤣

eh, you’ll be fine!!

i’m sure no one packs as much random stuff as i do (so some of the drag of the carryon is for sure self inflicted 😂)

and i should add that down by baggage pickup, etc (ie, not where the gates are) it IS tiled/marble (?) flooring. 

just give yourself time if checking bags. we found it was absolutely the worst collection/wait time ever (bar newark and the complete abandonment of bags — or so it seemed, given how long that took 😂)

if you can camp out in one of the international terminals (assuming they are connected the way they were for our last trip), they have the updated bathrooms and some slightly better food options. 

and if you get starbucks, DEFINITELY use that mobile app and order in advance!!!!

I have been flying SWA almost exclusively for 15 years now.  It is the best choice CT to FL.  I have no issues with boarding.  In fact I find it almost no different than legacy airlines.  The few times I flew Delta, everyone rushed the gate as soon as boarding was announced so you had to “excuse me, excuse me, excuse me” to the gate anyway.  At least on Southwest you’re in some kind of order.  I don’t stress about sitting close to the front, we all arrive together and I don’t make connections that are so tight that I have to be first off.  I check bags for free so I don’t have to deal with the 50lb “carry ons” people insist on bringing on board.  Picking up luggage takes 15 minutes.  In 20 years of flying have only had a bag go missing once.  As for seating?  We usually head to the back third of the plane and if by some chance we had to sit apart, we’ve been married 43 years.  I think we’ll survive 2-3 hour flight. Works for me.