Royal Up Chances?

We decided to try Royal Up for the first time for our upcoming Alaskan cruise in July. We bid slightly over the minimum required for a two-bedroom grand suite. For those who have experience with Royal Up, what are the chances that we will get upgraded? Thanks.

6 minutes ago, JNS123 said:

We decided to try Royal Up for the first time for our upcoming Alaskan cruise in July. We bid slightly over the minimum required for a two-bedroom grand suite. For those who have experience with Royal Up, what are the chances that we will get upgraded? Thanks.

No one can answer that. Not being snarky; it just depends on too many factors, is handled by a 3rd party company, and the algorithm is not public knowledge.

That said, if there are few to no GS's available as your sailing approaches, your chances are low.

Our personal experiences with Royal Up is that since ships have been sailing at full capacity, we haven’t had a bid accepted regardless of how much over the minimum we’ve bid. 

That being said, Royal Up is more a fun game of chance for us than a legit hope of upgrading.  We book the cabin type we want to begin with. 

There is no answer for your question, unfortunately, that will mean anything for your specific bid. It will depend entirely on how many other people bid and how much others are willing to pay. It only takes one person to bid $1 higher than you and you might be out of luck. It will also depend on if that 2Bd GS gets booked between now and the time of your sailing. If that cabin isn’t simply available, no matter what you bid will matter because you aren’t getting it….even if it was available at the time you made the bid. Since you put in such a low bid, you should have zero expectation of getting the cabin BUT if you do get it, it will be quite a great way to kick off your cruise. This is more of a zero risk gamble than anything. If you lose, you pay nothing. Good luck.

It depends on so many factors.   Cruise date, cabin type, etc. etc. I have bid on several Royal Up"s.   Never gotten one though.  I even maxed out a bid before and still did not get it.   But I hear of people getting their bid accepted on a minimum bid.  You just never know.

On 5/30/2023 at 5:40 PM, teddy said:

Our personal experiences with Royal Up is that since ships have been sailing at full capacity, we haven’t had a bid accepted regardless of how much over the minimum we’ve bid. 

That being said, Royal Up is more a fun game of chance for us than a legit hope of upgrading.  We book the cabin type we want to begin with. 

That's what I don't get.  We got a Royal Up email for our July cruise and when I look at the categories on which they are allowing us to bid, they are all sold out.  Makes no sense.  We did put a bid in for the fun of it, but it's low and no rooms available as of now, so figure we have 0.0036% chance of us winning the Royal up.

4 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

That's what I don't get.  We got a Royal Up email for our July cruise and when I look at the categories on which they are allowing us to bid, they are all sold out.  Makes no sense.  We did put a bid in for the fun of it, but it's low and no rooms available as of now, so figure we have 0.0036% chance of us winning the Royal up.

People cancel, people may royal up to a higher category and free up a lower one, etc.

Your chances are slim no matter what but that's why you are still able to bid.

We did 2 cruises during the restart; one Odyssey at like 30% capacity and won a Junior Suite with a min bid; and then an Symphony and won a Junior suite with a min bid.

Then; we sailed from Jersey in Oasis (we were in a balcony) and i put a very decent offer on many cabins, but since the cruise was near full capacity i lost it on every single bid.

We spent last new years even on allure with my family, i upgraded 3 interior rooms to balconies for a tad little bit over min bid and cruise was supossed to be near full capacity; but i KNEW it WASNT FULL because i could still book balconies at a ''decent'' price during prior days; this is a huge factor in my opinion. 

We are cruising from Ravenna in Sept. 24 and if you look at Royals page; there's pretty much no chance to upgrade my room, we are currently booked on a Junior Suite and the site shows no availability for other suites. No matter what ill still bid to try and snag a last minute upgrade but im doing it with low hopes. 

54 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Thanksgiving sailing out of Tampa, I bid on the sold out ship/cabins. I even spoke to my concierge and he confirmed all cabins booked as he was speaking to everyone's requests. I was 29 bids 0 upgrades. 

The day before we were to board my credit card alerts to a charge to Royal without card present. I investigate to find out my bid was accepted. (Not minimum but no where near the top) 

After boarding found out flights from up North were canceled due to a freakish weather situation and the family had to cancel as they couldn't make it to the ship. 

So 28 bids and 1 ability to pay a little more for an upgrade, if not for bids that cabin a 2 bedroom owners suite would have sailed empty. So now those bidding for my owners suite got moved up and so on down the line. 

Book what you would be comfortable in, bid and relax you're going on a cruise!! Good luck 🙂

1 hour ago, WannaCruise said:

I figure Royal is covering all their bases to make as much money as possible.