hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

22 minutes ago, Pooch said:

I tried a kindle but missed the feel of an actual book in my hands.  My books are always too heavy but it’s just the price I pay for my reading.

there is really nothing like the feel of a good book (and BOOK SMELL, i SWOON at the smell of a new book or notebook) in your hands. i understand this. 💚

20 minutes ago, She Sails Away said:

I'm the same way! (Or should I say, I'm in the same boat!) I cruise way too often...(and I , too, am cheating on Royal in a few weeks. But following it up with Symphony, so it's all good). 🥹 Cruising is awesome! 

OMG i feel so much better. i actually think there are probably some of our group on here who may have sailed MSC before so i may be picking some brains (that is such an odd expression tbh) for info later on.

also, total sidebar -- would you all be interested in fashion/outfit posts in addition to ship pics/details??

i mean RIP our potential male readers, but needs must and all that 😂  my best friend always demands an outfit shot before we leave for dinner, so i'm happy to include with the liveblog if that would be of interest. 💚 on the other hand, i'd rather not bore everyone to tears if you're just in it for the ship (which i totally understand).

let me know!!

oh! i also forgot to mention; target had these great microfiber beach towels that dropped yesterday for $20. i got one and liked it so much, i grabbed another. 

https://www.target.com/p/72-34-x40-34-deep-sea-print-seahorse-print-microfiber-beach-towel-navy-blue-cream-agua-bendita-x-target/-/A-87115012

there are three patterns but i liked this one best since i thought the white would be good with reflecting the heat  instead of absorbing it. (i hope)

fun fact: my favorite dress that i wore on symphony was made by this same designer. 💚

i know bringing a towel aboard is kind of bougie - and there’s really no need 😂 - but it sure is nice to carry when we go ashore and not to have to return to the towel stand at the end of the day. #firstworldproblems 

36 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

there is really nothing like the feel of a good book (and BOOK SMELL, i SWOON at the smell of a new book or notebook) in your hands. i understand this. 💚

OMG i feel so much better. i actually think there are probably some of our group on here who may have sailed MSC before so i may be picking some brains (that is such an odd expression tbh) for info later on.

also, total sidebar -- would you all be interested in fashion/outfit posts in addition to ship pics/details??

i mean RIP our potential male readers, but needs must and all that 😂  my best friend always demands an outfit shot before we leave for dinner, so i'm happy to include with the liveblog if that would be of interest. 💚 on the other hand, i'd rather not bore everyone to tears if you're just in it for the ship (which i totally understand).

let me know!!

Sure go ahead, make us jealous!!!

7 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i REALLY miss going away with my family and their bougie tastes may have led us to a compromise on MSC. we're... considering it.

Don’t be deceived. MSC is only bougie with their decor. Not too impressive outside of Yacht Club. We sailed MSC once in 2018. It was a one and done.

15 hours ago, asquared17 said:

oh! i also forgot to mention; target had these great microfiber beach towels that dropped yesterday for $20. i got one and liked it so much, i grabbed another. 

https://www.target.com/p/72-34-x40-34-deep-sea-print-seahorse-print-microfiber-beach-towel-navy-blue-cream-agua-bendita-x-target/-/A-87115012

there are three patterns but i liked this one best since i thought the white would be good with reflecting the heat  instead of absorbing it. (i hope)

fun fact: my favorite dress that i wore on symphony was made by this same designer. 💚

i know bringing a towel aboard is kind of bougie - and there’s really no need 😂 - but it sure is nice to carry when we go ashore and not to have to return to the towel stand at the end of the day. #firstworldproblems 

I love this pattern! We brought our microfiber towels because I didn't want to risk the fee if something happened to our towels, and once Royal towels get wet, they are useless. We did a snorkeling trip and the towels got wet after the first stop, but being microfiber, they partially dried by the second stop and we could keep using them. Plus they weren't getting everything else in the bag wet. I call it practical, not bougie!

15 hours ago, asquared17 said:

let me know!!

yes

28 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I call it practical, not bougie!

i feel like i need to emblazon this somewhere. it can be my new motto!!

also i will include outfit posts!!

i actually got one of my favorite dresses that i always wore on cruises — including on our first harmony cruise — on poshmark last night. i am no longer 2017 size me, so i’m hoping this updated size will fit. if it does, y’all will for SURE be seeing it!!

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

I would love to see what you wear aboard a ship. I just may steal some ideas (since there will be no police around to catch me stealing).

always happy to share!!! feel free to steal any and all ideas!! 💚💚

On 4/15/2023 at 9:48 AM, asquared17 said:

yes!! i am a quarter greek!!

Ναι!!!! είμαι και εγώ ένα τέσσερις Έλληνας! 

haha my greek is pretty rudimentary so I can’t say quarter, only 4, all this to say ME TOO! I call my dog my sweet pappou (sometimes morphing into papoutsia which means shoes 😂

I can appreciate your packing list sorted by outfit. I do this for short trips when I’m packing so little that it’s important to not forget an important piece like say, a strapless bra when you’ve brought a dress that necessitates it! When it’s over 3 days I just pack an assortment and vacation me will have to figure the order out. haha

26 minutes ago, DDaley said:

Ναι!!!! είμαι και εγώ ένα τέσσερις Έλληνας! 

the way i RAN to google translate for this 😅💚💚 hello my sweet friend 💚💚

29 minutes ago, DDaley said:

I do this for short trips when I’m packing so little that it’s important to not forget an important piece like say, a strapless bra when you’ve brought a dress that necessitates

this is EXACTLY why i do it. i just left out that part on the forum friendly post 😂 but i was finding that i didn’t have the right support or undergarments or shoes/accessories when i didn’t block it this way!!!

19 hours ago, asquared17 said:

let me know!!

I'd love stuff like that! I would look, enjoy, and comment---but let me be clear that I live in shorts and saggy t shirts all cruise long. In a few weeks , I'm dressing for formal night on my next (non Royal) cruise for the first time in years.....other than that, it's mouseville for me. 😂  (See picture for shining example of my highly imaginative and age-appropriate cruise uniform.)

Also I work from home and live in pajamas.  😝

IMG_7192.jpeg

1 hour ago, She Sails Away said:

I'd love stuff like that! I would look, enjoy, and comment

okay fashion/outfit posts will be included!!

im looking forward to this again; there is a part of me that really loves outfitting and a little extra something that comes from looking and feeling good in what you’re wearing. 

when i worked at anthropologie, one of the personal stylists on the team i managed used to say that you have a the choice every day to look and feel fabulous — why not go for it! (she was so creative and inspiring💚)

whereas i always used to tell my clients; when you’re going into a social situation, you can’t control anything but the clothes on your body!! CHOOSE WISELY. 

and half of them (the normal ones, who weren’t control freaks with a touch of social anxiety) would look at me like i was nuts. 

and the other half would light up and fully agree. 

we all handle our quirks and mannerisms in different ways 💚😅🥰

50 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Serious question for all you jumpsuiters .... do you not drink at all when wearing one? Do you have iron kidneys? Or are there some here who identify as camels? Or do you just not care that going to the loo is a yoga workout when wearing one?

(Asking for a friend....) 🥰

the trick is to wear one when you don’t require a ton of maneuvering.  i do not typically recommend for airport travel days for this reason 😂 

usually a dinner on a cruise is about that window of time where you can go just before you put it on, eat your meal, play some uno/people watch, and wander back without much of a costume change. (to be fair, we rarely take in the shows unless it is the aqua show, so i might be a boring use case here 😂)

also my former favorite jumpsuit - with the wide leg fit - was easy in and out because of the open back. 

the current one is a one shoulder, you just sort of undo the tie at the waist and… shimmy. 😆

9 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Serious question for all you jumpsuiters .... do you not drink at all when wearing one? Do you have iron kidneys? Or are there some here who identify as camels? Or do you just not care that going to the loo is a yoga workout when wearing one?

(Asking for a friend....) 🥰

The one I bought just slips off the shoulders.  It’s brushed cotton with an elastic waist.  I have a bladder the size of a pea.  Holding it it not an option!  I’ll let you know how it goes (or how I do😁)

Also, since the covid shutdown and subsequent retirement, I wear tank tops with built in bras.  I will take a couple of real bras with me but I rarely use them. 

On 4/16/2023 at 9:57 PM, asquared17 said:

i mean RIP our potential male readers,

Welcome to bra talk...

21 hours ago, DDaley said:

it’s important to not forget an important piece like say, a strapless bra when you’ve brought a dress that necessitates it! 

14 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I also primarily work from home, and getting dressed = putting on a bra.  End of. You know I'm right. 

5 hours ago, Pooch said:

Also, since the covid shutdown and subsequent retirement, I wear tank tops with built in bras.  I will take a couple of real bras with me but I rarely use them. 

despite telling myself that i was NOT buying new clothes for this trip (my closet is more than equipped to handle a cruise wear vacation), i have found myself grabbing things here and there. there are still some things en route, so i haven’t finalized the outfit list yet, but it’s on my agenda for the weekend.

today the softest sweatshirts arrived from aerie. they have a scoop neck WHICH I LOVE — my best friend always makes fun of me because i can’t handle a crewneck anything. i always cut the necks out from my sweatshirts and tees that have crew necks. to be fair, i mostly just buy a v-neck, but rarely do you find a scoop neck sweatshirt. 

ANYWAY. enough of my soapbox about loungewear necklines 😂

i had a coupon and a discount on top of it so they wound up being only $24 from $50. also i take really good care of my clothes so these will last for a while, i can already tell from the fabric content. and i love that they have a cotton/terry fabric so they’ll breathe and not trap in heat like a poly or synthetic blend. 

image.jpg

i think i’m going to pack the neon pink!!

i grabbed larges because i like them super slouchy/oversized, especially when wearing with cutoffs or jeans or leggings. though i’m usually running hot, temperature-wise,  recently i started bringing one to ward off any kind of post-sunburn chill or wind whipping through central park/pool deck. 

excuse the wrinkles; i’ll probably wash them before i leave and then stuff inside a carryon somehow 😂

update: i dragged out my large away suitcase, my hardtop away carryon, my soft carryon/personal bag, my FORMER soft carryon that i am upgrading from, and the mini duffel bag that J usually brings through security for me as her personal item. 

i am surrounded by a sea of bags and slightly daunted. 

somewhere in the caribbean, @Ampurp85 is laughing… 😅😂

2 hours ago, FireFishII said:

How are you going to vacuum the pillow for your trip home?

these vacuum seal bags are great because you just roll the air out. they are resealable!!

when i pack on the final night, i separate all my wash into dark/cold and warm bags. then i roll out the air and voila! it’s good to go. 

https://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Space-Bag-Travel-Bags/dp/B00RCMUDSS/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_mod_primary_new?crid=2CV4KM6DVXUCF&keywords=ziploc+travel+compression+bags+for+packing&qid=1681931097&sbo=RZvfv%2F%2FHxDF%2BO5021pAnSA%3D%3D&sprefix=ziploc+packing%2Caps%2C86&sr=8-3

3 hours ago, asquared17 said:

these vacuum seal bags are great because you just roll the air out. they are resealable!!

when i pack on the final night, i separate all my wash into dark/cold and warm bags. then i roll out the air and voila! it’s good to go. 

Thanks.  I had some older vacuum seal bags but they need to be hooked up to a vacuum to suck all the air out.  I love the idea of separating the wash into different bags.  I think that is half the battle of laundry - separating the clothes. 

1 hour ago, FireFishII said:

I love the idea of separating the wash into different bags. 

during the week, i pile into a vintage large ritz carlton fabric laundry bag i filched from my bougie parents. then when it’s pack up night, i dump out and sort.

if i didn’t do this… the laundry would just pile up and stare at me for a week. 

but i also have a three section laundry sorter in my relatively small bathroom to keep it separated, too.

for me, it’s so much easier to do laundry if i just grab the one bag and haul it down to the washer/dryer. i do warm water clothes// towels (and socks!! those guys get lost when run through with regular clothes!!)// cold water clothes. my cold water clothes usually need a mesh or laundry bag — i HATE dry cleaning, so i have a lot of cold water wash/hang to dry + steam-out type of clothing. 

also, to be fair, i am that psychopath who comes home from a trip and immediately unpacks everything. the suitcases get stored back away in the attic, toiletries and various items go back in the their bins under the bed, dirty clothes are dispatched to laundry, etc. 

i used to be a terrible procrastinator with this; it would sit around for weeks. one day i (figuratively) snapped and couldn’t take it anymore. 

and now i disassemble when i come home. (…sometimes literally 😂😂😂)

16 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Just picked up mesh collapsible laundry bins at Job Lot.  $2.49 each and they perfectly in the lid of the suitcase.  I hate piles of dirty clothes in the cabin.  At the end of the vacation, the clothes get stuffed in plastic trash bags & crammed into the suitcases.  

You won’t be sorry.  The collapsible laundry basket is one of my favorite hacks.  I just had to replace mine.  The robovac and the laundry basket got caught up in a grudge match and the laundry basket lost. RIP.  Thank goodness for Amazon.  New one already in the suitcase ready for our Vision cruise on Friday.

I have a pop-up mess laundry bag I picked up for my last cruise.  I liked using it better than pulling my luggage out from underneath the bed and throw my clothes in there.

The idea I loved that was mentioned above is to separate your clothes before you pack them for the trip home.  Then when I get home, I can just throw 1 bag into the wash with the correct setting.  

@asquared17 -I too am a procrastinator.   But coming home from a trip is the one time I can put all procrastination aside and put everything away ASAP.  Now, if I can just get the clothes out of the dryer ....

55 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

The idea I loved that was mentioned above is to separate your clothes before you pack them for the trip home.  Then when I get home, I can just throw 1 bag into the wash with the correct setting.  

this was the game changer for me. a little more work up front, but well worth it in the end!!

random update as we are almost a week out -- J has been trying to upgrade her luggage for a week now.

the two options i sent her from amazon were both duds. the first wasn't a 28 inch suitcase, and the second... just never appeared. the third is supposed to arrive today.

fingers crossed it does -- her current luggage has only two weeks and requires dragging over THE CARPET IN MIAMI (ahem it's fine, i'm calm) and other places. hoping the new set arrives today and we are in good shape for next week.

luggage wars continue...

i started packing my new/slightly larger duffel and it seems spacious so far. hoping i can get everything in one place. a dress i ordered is due to arrive today and i will find out if it needs to be hemmed or not. also i'm debating taking a pair of white jeans on the cruise. i have a cute top or two that i could pair back to them, but will i still be feeling like i want to wear white jeans after a few days of cruise eating...? 😂