hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

On 3/25/2023 at 4:00 PM, asquared17 said:

we are also very aware of the fact that the sun is going to be HOT HOT HOT. much hotter than our usual times of december/february, so anywhere we can find an umbrella when in the sun will be a priority for us. even we know our limits.

Coolibar has a silver, reflective, UPF protective, portable umbrella that is great! It is part of my extensive sun/beach packing list!

On 3/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, SweetPea said:

Girl, are you insane?! Symphony is sailing out of your backyard in 2024! What is wrong with you?! 😅😅

No, i get the itinerary sux, but you could always join us 5/31/24. 😁

I was looking at Symphony next summer but you're right - the itinerary isn't great. But Bahamas - I wonder if Symphony will visit the new Royal beach club?

On 4/4/2023 at 11:29 PM, asquared17 said:

does anyone else bring random/weird stuff with them??

yes

mostly my "just in case" items and then sun/beach stuff, as I mentioned before. Multiple pairs of sunglasses, our own microfiber beach towels, multiple bottles of sunscreen, water shoes, waterproof phone cases, beach lock boxes, etc...

On 4/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, Pooch said:

This mess is my travel stash.  Full of free samples, hotel shampoo/conditioner/lotion. Toothpaste from the dentist.  I also throw in make up and deodorant that have only a week or so in them.  Use them and toss them.  For those who use liquid foundation, department store make up counters have those little sample containers.  A couple last me 10 days and take up no room at all.

7FFA4330-FEAB-4AEB-9ECE-14DFD37FC99C.jpeg

We keep all of these in the bathroom that guests use when they visit, to provide some "hotel" toiletries in case anyone needs them.

On 4/6/2023 at 10:25 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I'm not talking about vacuum packing bags.  I'm talking about seal-a-meal kind of vacuum bags.

What type of sealer does it use? Portable, or big? Brand? I'm intrigued by this...

On 4/11/2023 at 7:25 AM, Pooch said:

Ok I am hesitant to post this but you are all so sweet, I feel safe.  My first jumpsuit.

Needs a little sweater or my Jean jacket but DD insists it’s ok.

81569E9D-DD9E-4373-87A2-CC5240404DB0.jpeg

@Pooch  - you look fantastic! Great color, great fit. Go for it!!

On 4/11/2023 at 8:30 AM, asquared17 said:

this is the one in currently in rotation:

8A89273D-3D37-452D-AFC4-F3FAB5898E41.jpeg

but i used to favor a wide leg version with a cropped leg and lower back that was super comfortable also. 

1109B372-BD45-4F69-ADCC-10A74ACFE9D5.jpeg

958D94AA-AB82-4C39-97F1-BA720E548AEF.jpeg

9E80ECC7-6849-41C5-B712-901AC4A96F93.jpeg

i typically don’t wear black unless i am in a ~mood (ie, don’t mess with me, i am on a mission 😂😂) except for when i travel.   then i’m like, give me ALL the black because travel is messy!!

I REALLY love the second one. I have a weird OCD thing about asymmetrical clothing... Is the outfit that looks like a dress at the end also still the pantsuit? Do you remember where you got it, or would be willing to share the brand?

2 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Coolibar has a silver, reflective, UPF protective, portable umbrella that is great! It is part of my extensive sun/beach packing list!

I was looking at Symphony next summer but you're right - the itinerary isn't great. But Bahamas - I wonder if Symphony will visit the new Royal beach club?

yes

mostly my "just in case" items and then sun/beach stuff, as I mentioned before. Multiple pairs of sunglasses, our own microfiber beach towels, multiple bottles of sunscreen, water shoes, waterproof phone cases, beach lock boxes, etc...

We keep all of these in the bathroom that guests use when they visit, to provide some "hotel" toiletries in case anyone needs them.

What type of sealer does it use? Portable, or big? Brand? I'm intrigued by this...

@Pooch  - you look fantastic! Great color, great fit. Go for it!!

I REALLY love the second one. I have a weird OCD thing about asymmetrical clothing... Is the outfit that looks like a dress at the end also still the pantsuit? Do you remember where you got it, or would be willing to share the brand?

I think those are all pictures of the same jumpsuit, just front and back views.

3 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

REALLY love the second one. I have a weird OCD thing about asymmetrical clothing... Is the outfit that looks like a dress at the end also still the pantsuit? Do you remember where you got it, or would be willing to share the brand?

i will catch up to all the comments when i’m back home but the ~fashion was calling my name 😂 so here i am!!!

the jumpsuit is actually the same in the last pictures - so it looks more like a dress due to the wide legs (and my lack of height 😂). it’s called the goulding jumpsuit by show me your mumu. i don’t think they make it anymore but you can find them still on poshmark and ebay!!

20 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

then sun/beach stuff, as I mentioned before. Multiple pairs of sunglasses, our own microfiber beach towels, multiple bottles of sunscreen, water shoes, waterproof phone cases, beach lock boxes, etc...

i just started bringing my own microfiber beach towel last trip and i swear it's been a game changer for me. i also bring one to dry my hair (see also; my lion's mane of hair 🦁) but i was surprised at how well the beach towel did. i considered bringing second one, but i think i'll just supplement ship sea days with the blue towels if i need to.

21 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Can we go back to the packing lists for a minute? I was on my cruise and couldn't weigh in, but I am a list-maker!!

My primary packing list is typed up and saved, and it is organized by levels in my home so I don't have to backtrack so much (I'm in a rowhome with 4 stories, including finished basement where luggage is stored). This is my packing list for everywhere, no matter how long or where we're going. It includes subcategories like "in summer" and "in winter." Each member of my family has a travel toiletry bag that had duplicates of all items we use at home that is stored with luggage. When something is close to running out when we're away, I make a note and try to get it replaced when we get back so I don't have to deal with it before we leave. 

THEN, I create a Google doc for specific vacations which outlines our schedule, our reservations, our confirmation numbers, helpful hints, AND another packing list for things specific to this trip. As I'm reading the forum messages or as I think of things, I just add them to the bottom of this list.

Even with all of that, every time I leave for vacation, I get that awful sinking feeling that I've forgotten something really important. 

your packing list system DEFINITELY takes the cake. to be fair, i am mostly packing for myself. i have a client i still do personal styling/shopping for and i always tell her i'm happy to take on packing for them because i feel it would be so satisfying.

back in the day, i used to clean out/organize my friends' closets for fun. wild friday nights, i tell ya!! there is something so nice about bringing order to an otherwise chaotic system that super appeals to me.

i will take screenshots of what my system looks like for ~science 😂 i do have a different packing list for work trips vs leisure/non cruise vacation trips but since we've been cruising so much for vacation (WOW A FIRST WORLD FLEX - my bad 😅🙃), it hasn't gotten much use. 

my toiletry bags do have duplicates of my every day products - albeit much smaller versions and of course, DESPITE WHAT IT MAY SEEM 😂, not nearly as extensive.

ScreenShot2023-04-13at11_48_23AM.thumb.png.99691a48177e8cbccc33af01f2d5a7da.png

this is my old outfit list from when we were on symphony. i have cleaned up the list a lot since then but it is a good benchmark to pull from.

my harmony packing list is about 65% complete at this point. i usually cross reference it by staging the dresses/dinner outfits on my stationary garment rack to keep track. during the day we are usually found at the beach/pool, so it's typically just a coverup and bathing suit, so the outfitting isn't typically much to remember.

i can ATTEMPT to screenshot my two sided packing list but the formatting is going to get trashed 😂 so don't hold it against me, please!!

ScreenShot2023-04-13at11_52_59AM.thumb.png.0a2064e04ea27d42483b0a79f01e9c8f.pngScreenShot2023-04-13at11_53_47AM.thumb.png.5c7e046fb32c786ebe56944d161c2bcc.pngScreenShot2023-04-13at11_55_03AM.thumb.png.1b7ae3a7f11c15553ed4b275189c81ed.png

now that i'm going over it, there are definitely some duplicates... might be time to do some work here...

My packing list is in my head.  I only make an actual list for the items that get packed last minute & check them off as they go in the bag.  I know I’m jinxing myself but so far have never forgotten anything!

Again, wow!  That is one specific list!  See it sometimes pays to have no clothes.  I just take all of my summer clothes and throw them (neatly) in the suitcase.  🤷‍♀️😁

@asquared17 Wow to the list, my family and friends think I am anal, I will share this and watch them eat their words. You make me feel good about myself as I know my little quirks could be worse, I mean that as a compliment 🤣.

I have to say I have cruise/vacation clothes, so I don't really have to worry about planning outfits......but also not a girly woman so........But I plan to share this with the vintages. I tell them they will need things and they always forget, having an outfit plan might help them. 

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

My packing list is in my head.  I only make an actual list for the items that get packed last minute & check them off as they go in the bag.  I know I’m jinxing myself but so far have never forgotten anything!

Again, wow!  That is one specific list!  See it sometimes pays to have no clothes.  I just take all of my summer clothes and throw them (neatly) in the suitcase.  🤷‍♀️😁

i used to go off things in my head when i was younger (hopefully when my brain worked better too???) but then as the years went on... i started adding more (sometimes ridiculous) things... and i finally had to get it into this. the HOPE is that this is everything, but again... i've definitely forgotten things. 😂

3 hours ago, Pooch said:

Really, I probably take 75% of what’s on your list if I sat down & made a list.

i also feel like you guys cruise often enough that you know what you're doing at this point!! 😂 up until this past couple months, J and i were good if we could take maybe two cruises a year. the way we're going now, as long as we can keep sourcing deals, we're getting closer to like three in a calendar year/almost four in a 12-month cycle. my hope is (again) that by this trip -- since it will be our third cruise since december -- i will have this nailed down. I HOPE. we'll see 😂

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@asquared17 Wow to the list, my family and friends think I am anal, I will share this and watch them eat their words. You make me feel good about myself as I know my little quirks could be worse, I mean that as a compliment 🤣.

I have to say I have cruise/vacation clothes, so I don't really have to worry about planning outfits......but also not a girly woman so........But I plan to share this with the vintages. I tell them they will need things and they always forget, having an outfit plan might help them. 

SHARE IT AND CACKLE AT THEIR DISMAY, FRIEND!!! I AM HERE 4 U!!!

the irony of this is that i've packed one of the outfits (with the wideleg pants) on the past two cruises and haven't worn it... and it will be coming YET AGAIN on this trip 😅 the outfit one actually wound up being super helpful for me in culling through the "noise" or random extra outfits i would bring for no reason.

the vintages are fortunate that they have you to look after them!!

@Pooch, my packing list is in my head too! 

Honestly, I'm lucky.  I throw whatever i want to take on the bed, and the hubs packs it. Since that is quite literally the only job he has when it comes to travel, I'll take it!!

I can't be the only one married to a "Mr. Just tell me where and when to show up and what to Bring."

35 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I can't be the only one married to a "Mr. Just tell me where and when to show up and what to Bring."

Nope.  You’re not the only one.  I have one, too.  He rarely knows which ship we’re sailing on or where we are going. No biggie…a couple pairs of shorts and some T-shirts and he’s good.

Almost everything that we consider “cruise inventory” just stays in the suitcases.  Things like the power blocks being discussed in another thread, charging cords, Beach bags, towel clips, sun block….all the little stuff that is so easy to forget….we just never take them out.  All we really have to pack are clothes and my clothes for cruising are the same clothes I wear every day so not much head work involved there.  We can pack in a couple of hours, at the longest.  I guess we have a “system”.  We rarely forget anything anymore.  

Me too.  He asks every week or so “when is the cruise?  It’s on the CALENDAR!!  The paper calendar hanging in the kitchen!!  How can you miss it??  I never let him pack as he cannot match clothes to save his life. Garanimals for men!  He forgets a belt every trip.  OTOH, he does all the housework, including the laundry & bathroom so I’m ok with handling his packing.😁😁

True story -  we were at Disney with our DGS.  Hubby had 2 shirts, blue & grey and green & brown and 2 pair of shorts, grey & green left to wear.  Wanna guess what he put together?  When we travel with the grands I put full matched outfits in plastic bags.  Every morning, they get up, grab a bag & get dressed.  Since that trip, I do that for hubby too

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

True story -  we were at Disney with our DGS.  Hubby had 2 shirts, blue & grey and green & brown and 2 pair of shorts, grey & green left to wear.  Wanna guess what he put together?  When we travel with the grands I put full matched outfits in plastic bags.  Every morning, they get up, grab a bag & get dressed.  Since that trip, I do that for hubby too

I used that same trick when I took Girl Scout camping.  Not only do they have a complete set of clothes but the zip lok bags kept their clothes dry if it rain.

19 hours ago, FireFishII said:

I used that same trick when I took Girl Scout camping.  Not only do they have a complete set of clothes but the zip lok bags kept their clothes dry if it rain.

I did it when I used to pack for my daughter for sleepaway camp! I didn't have to worry about socks or underwear getting lost when clothes were pulled out - everything was in one neat little bundle!

22 hours ago, Pooch said:

Garanimals 

My sister in law was really big into the brand June & January for my nieces and nephews. She raved about the concept of any of the colors going together, and being to mix and match any piece from their collection with another one. I always thought "this seems familiar..."

Here's my main packing list:

2023-04-13(1).png.d6f8c9243e8384c354c83c4d86bd73e7.png

and my cruise-specific list, for this cruise (I make a copy of the document for each new cruise and then just change the specific details). Also,  didn't end up bringing all of the stuff on this list - it was just items to think and decide about while doing the packing. AND, there are always things that I think about during the process that I throw in but never made it onto the list. 

2023-04-13(2).png.43c8a2c91e7129f1a2128f67acfef031.png

Wow, really nice, detailed packing / outfit lists but I really hope this is not a requirement for cruising with Royal.

My wife usually packs her stuff and the kids stuff two days before we go and I throw my stuff on a suitcase either the evening before or the morning of the travel, completely without lists. More like some from this drawer, some from here and so on until the suitcase looks full.

On 4/13/2023 at 6:36 PM, SweetPea said:

gone the way of Underoos

i didn’t know these were an actual thing?? i thought people just used it as another word for underwear 😆

yesterday the weather was almost 90 here - it’s been wild in NJ this entire week - and your girl got sunburn on her face. it wasn’t great, but i thankfully had these little pink capsules of hyaluronic acid that take the red away and they did the trick!! this is a long winded story (clearly my favorite kind 😅) but the point is — this MEANS there is yet another item that must be brought in with the skincare routine 😂

image.jpg

and now, the vitamins post. 😅

i had to wait until i had the entire counter free to set it up. 

i used to travel with the bottles themselves but that was… a hassle, to say the least. then i’d just group them into bags and fish them out day by day - but then i’d get lazy and skip/forget. 

if i keep them in the preassembled baggies, they are just grab and go. so i can take or toss in my bag for the day if we’re going ashore or if we need to set up with chairs at the pool deck. 

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

ahahahaha an entire suitcase of toiletries and meds i'm cracking up 🤣

i would say at least a third of what i bring is preventative/precautionary. i will bring extra liquid IV packets in case J or i get wiped out/depleted in the sun or eat something that doesn't agree with us. the rest of the vitamins are just part of my daily routine -- other than the occasional headache, it is rare for me to ever get sick. it's just how i maintain my health since i, like my yia yia before me, pretty much hate doctors/going to the doctor. if you have great doctors, it makes all the difference in the world!! we have had a couple run ins with some not so great ones, and some really good ones, so now i just try to split the difference by keeping up with vitamins, exercise, etc. 

i recognize that everyone manages their health differently -- and i am 125% in support of what that looks like for each person (not everyone has to be kind of skeptical of doctors like me 🤣) -- this is just what works best for me 💚💚

the nice thing is that it all fits in one ziplock gallon bag that i bring in my carryon!! and then of course my toiletries are all just mostly minis -- i'll have to take a pic when we get in our cabin for reference 😂

14 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Daughter is driving so she’s in charge of sunscreen, industrial size bottle of Downey wrinkle release and 6 bottles of wine!

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!!!

i usually bring two cans of sunbum spray spf 15 and a spf 30 for anywhere that tends to attract a burn/if i get more sun than i should. J prefers the goopy/non-spray kind, but we once made the mistake of not bringing enough SPF and vowed never again!!

fun fact: my dad calls it "the goop" and we have a family friend whose daughter used to call it "spiff" by sounding out the letters. so we use these terms interchangeably 😂

15 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!!!

i usually bring two cans of sunbum spray spf 15 and a spf 30 for anywhere that tends to attract a burn/if i get more sun than i should. J prefers the goopy/non-spray kind, but we once made the mistake of not bringing enough SPF and vowed never again!!

fun fact: my dad calls it "the goop" and we have a family friend whose daughter used to call it "spiff" by sounding out the letters. so we use these terms interchangeably 😂

I like the spray, hubby the lotion so we always have both.

And now I say this with all the love in my heart, like a doting aunt and coming from a generation who lathered up with baby oil to go to the beach.  You should consider a stronger SPF.  15 & 30 do not provide great protection.  You take such good care of yourself.  Try an SPF 50.  🥰🥰

3 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i didn’t know these were an actual thing?? i thought people just used it as another word for underwear 😆

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok the underoos reference shows how young you really are!  Yes they were an actual brand of children’s underwear.  

I had them! I LOVED my Wonder Woman underoos!! @Pooch - you bring up the BEST stuff from the 80s!

2 hours ago, asquared17 said:

ahahahaha an entire suitcase of toiletries and meds i'm cracking up 🤣

i would say at least a third of what i bring is preventative/precautionary. i will bring extra liquid IV packets in case J or i get wiped out/depleted in the sun or eat something that doesn't agree with us. the rest of the vitamins are just part of my daily routine -- other than the occasional headache, it is rare for me to ever get sick. it's just how i maintain my health since i, like my yia yia before me, pretty much hate doctors/going to the doctor. if you have great doctors, it makes all the difference in the world!! we have had a couple run ins with some not so great ones, and some really good ones, so now i just try to split the difference by keeping up with vitamins, exercise, etc. 

i recognize that everyone manages their health differently -- and i am 125% in support of what that looks like for each person (not everyone has to be kind of skeptical of doctors like me 🤣) -- this is just what works best for me 💚💚

the nice thing is that it all fits in one ziplock gallon bag that i bring in my carryon!! and then of course my toiletries are all just mostly minis -- i'll have to take a pic when we get in our cabin for reference 😂

I'm gonna have to see your travel vitamin/meds and raise you one, once I get around my house to take pictures of the three (YES THREE) different places that I carry them with me on vacation (1. purse, 2. packed in travel medication bag, and 3. packed with toiletries). 

ALSO, is that a Greek yia yia that I see? My mother in law was always yia yia (FIL was papou) to my kids because my husband's family is Greek. 

30 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I'm gonna have to see your travel vitamin/meds and raise you one, once I get around my house to take pictures of the three (YES THREE) different places that I carry them with me on vacation (1. purse, 2. packed in travel medication bag, and 3. packed with toiletries).

i did not reveal my purse and carryon vitamins/meds 😂 ahahahah i'm dying. i will get to those too eventually, though i am willing to concede here; your packing system far outshines mine 😂💚

31 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

ALSO, is that a Greek yia yia that I see? My mother in law was always yia yia (FIL was papou) to my kids because my husband's family is Greek. 

yes!! i am a quarter greek!!

i am half italian (and mostly claim to be italian in full because it feels very true to my personality) and, weirdly, a quarter german. i hardly ever claim the german, although i'm wondering if the organization and packing comes from that side. i am otherwise far too passionate and outspoken and consumed with making sure everyone is fed + watered to truly align with the german side 😅

16 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i did not reveal my purse and carryon vitamins/meds 😂 ahahahah i'm dying. i will get to those too eventually, though i am willing to concede here; your packing system far outshines mine 😂💚

Ok, I fold! I don't think mine outshines yours - we're both neurotic! 🤣 I don't do all the detail around clothing that you do - I do that a bit randomly, on the spot - my packing list just had "clothing" since it changes by trip location and length. Everyone in my family packs their own clothing in their specific packing cubes and then I fit it in the suitcases, allowing for weight limits. And you definitely have more vitamins. My meds include prescription stuff for mostly asthma/allergy/sinus issues and first aid for the most part. Although the older I get, the more vitamins seem to creep into my arsenal...

8 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Ok, I fold! I don't think mine outshines yours - we're both neurotic! 🤣

i am so glad to have found (and be found by) my people!!! 🥰 J sometimes looks at me like i'm nuts (and lets face it,,,,, i definitely am 😅) so it's always nice to find a fellow cruiser with similar tendencies 😂

8 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

And you definitely have more vitamins. My meds include prescription stuff for mostly asthma/allergy/sinus issues and first aid for the most part. Although the older I get, the more vitamins seem to creep into my arsenal...

i think i have an extreme case of FORO; fear of running out -- like i'd much rather have stuff to keep me afloat when i'm aboard than to have to rely on the ship shops or international ports to make up the difference. when we were on odyssey in december, i had eaten something that didn't agree with me and hunting down a powerade was like scaling mount everest. now i just bring my own stuff to support and it's just given such peace of mind. i didn't even think about stuff like this ten years ago and while there is definitely a part of me that longs for that blind confidence and blissful state of being unaware, there is also the part of me that takes comfort in knowing i have my arsenal if need be 😂

since i started working from home, i rarely get dressed up (heck there are days when i don't really "get dressed" out of my pajamas until a certain hour...) and the retail gal in me misses it. i do enjoy that aspect of cruising; getting dressed to have a nice dinner and stroll around to wind down the evening. that's probably why my outfit list is so insane 😂 trying to give all my favorite fashions their time in the sun since they aren't getting much wear in the work world right now.

also this time in two weeks, we'll be sailing!! hooray!

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok, most important precruise purchase done!!  A 1000 page book!  

^^ this is how i feel when i load up my kindle for the trip!! it's soooooo satisfying!!

also i have a confession. my guilt compels me to share more details... and i hate to be the one to say this but... i'm considering cheating on royal... I KNOW I KNOW. it's SHAMEFUL.

i REALLY miss going away with my family and their bougie tastes may have led us to a compromise on MSC. we're... considering it.

now, will this stop me from booking J and i on a february cruise for next year with a next cruise credit once we get on harmony?? HECK NO.

WE ARE GOING FULL STEAM AHEAD, FAM!!!

...is it possible i have a sickness? it used to be, book a cruise once a year, maybe twice if you planned it right. and now we're just booking cruises (with good deals, no less) left, right and center. i've essentially given up on all other vacations.

GIVE ME CRUISES OR ELSE.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office