hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

Our regional airport in Connecticut is just so easy to use.  Small, close to home (like 10 minutes!). I can check bags, clear Security and be at my gate in 20 minutes from my front door.  Yes I am spoiled.

this is basically like private jet dreams for me 🤩 i will live vicariously through your airport endeavors 😂

44 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

@asquared17 Trenton is like that, if you're willing to deal with Frontier!

i think we flew out of AC once and i was told trenton was fairly similar.

good to know, although frontier may not jive for my not-so light traveling ways… 😂😅😩🤣 i had a former coworker who loved it and could travel with a backpack only. it was inspiring to me but i also was fully cognizant that it probably wouldn’t work since i’m usually pushing the 50lb limit as it is 🤣

brief update: 

edocs available online; weirdly, our luggage tags say emerald… neither J nor i are emerald... so... there’s that. 😂

last time our luggage tags had her status (platinum) and not mine (diamond) so i bypassed them entirely and just handed off to the porters. wondering if if even makes a difference though, and might just use them this time around anyway. 

to be honest, we got our bags so quickly on symphony last time, it kind of didn’t matter. no idea if it will be like that again; i have heard that harmony is notorious for late bag delivery. 

at least we are not bringing a bottle of champagne this time around — although that reminds me, i need to pack in my checked luggage (since we fly and sail same day) two shelf stable cartons of silk unsweetened almond milk for drinking with my cold brew in the morning. past experience has been incredibly hit or miss with almond milk; sometimes it’s clumpy and doesn’t stir well, sometimes they only have flavored/sweetened, and once (ironically) when we were sky class, they actually ran out in CK. 😳😮💨

i don’t mind bringing it; will likely just have to disperse something else of equal weight into my carryon until we get down there. 

does anyone else bring random/weird stuff with them??

i always joke that i’m high maintenance but only so far as it is incumbent upon me. i hate to inconvenience others; if i know the food could be an issue, i’ll bring snacks or my own thing; always travel with my own water if i can; and i’m the one who has the arsenal of various over the counter meds and remedies, depending on what ails you 😂

(this is also why my luggage pushes the weight limits and i cannot travel with carryon alone. rip me 😂)

I could be your mom, no doubt, but we could also be friends. 😁 I pack a host of things that I'm sure many would scoff at. I too have an arsenal of drugs.  I'm one who goes to the doc, explains I'm traveling outside the country and asks if she would consider prescribing xxx, just in case. I once traveled to Mexico for 10 days and the day before scored prescriptions for cough medicine with codeine and an antibiotic. Spoiler: someone in my immediate family actually needed the cough medicine while we were away. I turned the antibiotics back in to the doc after we returned so she knew i was honest 😅

I also pack bleu cheese stuffed olives. 😋 

Interesting re: the prescription meds.  My doc will always give us a scrip for Cipro and Zpak for our cruises in case we contract some kind of tummy bug.  So far, not needed but better off having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it.  Of course, I always take our hyroxychloroquine and Ivermectin but haven’t needed those either.  

Just a little humble brag:  since the cessation of the vaccine and testing requirements, Dan and I have been on 8 cruises and have not contracted so much as a sniffle - this, despite taking no vaccinations and never being tested for COVID.  We are very glad we waited it out.  It seems like every cruise we have been on, someone blogs afterwards that either they, or some member of their traveling party, contracted COVID (ship suspected but never a confirmation, of course).  Either we are the luckiest people cruising or we made the right decision to not get vaccinated.  I would suggest the latter given our abysmal onboard gambling record (although I am currently “up” on EX  🥳🥳).

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting re: the prescription meds.  My doc will always give us a scrip for Cipro and Zpak for our cruises in case we contract some kind of tummy bug.  So far, not needed but better off having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it.  Of course, I always take our hyroxychloroquine and Ivermectin but haven’t needed those either.  

Just a little humble brag:  since the cessation of the vaccine and testing requirements, Dan and I have been on 8 cruises and have not contracted so much as a sniffle - this, despite taking no vaccinations and never being tested for COVID.  We are very glad we waited it out.  It seems like every cruise we have been on, someone blogs afterwards that either they, or some member of their traveling party, contracted COVID (ship suspected but never a confirmation, of course).  Either we are the luckiest people cruising or we made the right decision to not get vaccinated.  I would suggest the latter given our abysmal onboard gambling record (although I am currently “up” on EX  🥳🥳).

Everyone’s immune system is different.  Neither of my kids have had covid but they never caught any childhood diseases either.  I’m glad your decision was right for you and am so glad you are on the high seas again!

53 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Everyone’s immune system is different.  Neither of my kids have had covid but they never caught any childhood diseases either.  I’m glad your decision was right for you and am so glad you are on the high seas again!

Ditto with my family.  I can count at least 4 different families where this has happened with.  One family member would come down with COVID while their spouse does not - even without taking precautions. I think it is weird how it can be a hit/miss. 

22 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I could be your mom, no doubt, but we could also be friends. 😁 I pack a host of things that I'm sure many would scoff at. I too have an arsenal of drugs.  I'm one who goes to the doc, explains I'm traveling outside the country and asks if she would consider prescribing xxx, just in case. I once traveled to Mexico for 10 days and the day before scored prescriptions for cough medicine with codeine and an antibiotic. Spoiler: someone in my immediate family actually needed the cough medicine while we were away. I turned the antibiotics back in to the doc after we returned so she knew i was honest 😅

I also pack bleu cheese stuffed olives. 😋 

we ARE friends 💚🥰

i had not considered the olives... while i don't like blue cheese, i do prefer green olives... our shared experiences strike again, perhaps?? 🤣 now you're making me crave a glass of champagne and olives from vintages...

12 hours ago, Pooch said:

I, too, pack every OTC med known to man.  No way I am paying for something that my Medicare advantage plan gives me for free!  Lord I am so cheap.  Beyond that I am pretty low maintenance.  I think the heaviest bag I’ve ever checked was maybe 40lbs and that was 1 bag for 2 people.

you're not cheap!!! you're SAVVY, nay -- fiscally responsible!!

give me my beloved advil cold and sinus or GIVE ME DEATH. legit this stuff has saved my life. i have been known to pick up at the local pharmacy/CVS/publix when we get to florida on a non-fly+sail day. we actually RAN OUT of the gelcaps up here in NJ a few months back and i had to get a coworker from denver to ship to me 😅

...also i feel like i should clarify; i don't necessarily TAKE it all the time. it's just that i need to have it. it's my security blanket of over the counter meds.

and i'm jealous of your packing. my hard suitcase alone weighs 10 lbs and its a lightweight/thin for its class. oh man. now i'm staring forlornly at my pile of things slowly building that we will be taking with us. guess i have some streamlining to do.

11 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Interesting re: the prescription meds.  My doc will always give us a scrip for Cipro and Zpak for our cruises in case we contract some kind of tummy bug.  So far, not needed but better off having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it.  

[...] Dan and I have been on 8 cruises and have not contracted so much as a sniffle - this, despite taking no vaccinations and never being tested for COVID.  We are very glad we waited it out.

i'm so glad you guys are safe and healthy 🥰💚

...meanwhile i am still thoroughly in my germaphobe state of being THAT person when at the jammer or elf who picks up the buffet serving utensils with a napkin and washes their hands BEFORE and after going through the food lines. 🤣 J looks at me like, "are you OKAY?!"

a question for the ages, truly.

8 hours ago, FireFishII said:

Ditto with my family.  I can count at least 4 different families where this has happened with.  One family member would come down with COVID while their spouse does not - even without taking precautions. I think it is weird how it can be a hit/miss. 

after i left the retail world during peak pandemic, my entire family was very fortunate and fairly safe because we all work from home. but this is not always the norm for everyone, and i am very grateful for our circumstances.

it definitely can be hit or miss and a lot of it has to do with your environment and existing (or non-existing) health conditions. i'm just hopeful everyone can stay healthy and cruise happy!!

ETA: why did no one tell me i’d started three paragraphs in a row with “also”??? 😅🤣

some of the smaller toiletry bags and little travel containers came today! if i can organize it all the way i want, i will try to capture a pic of it and then you can all see first hand how truly Type A i am. 😅

i'm already prepping to take the toiletries in a smaller carryon bag so i can get the almond milk in the suitcase... gosh i wish i was better at math. it's not my strength, guys. i'm better with people/language/reading/writing.

oh well 😂

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

some of the smaller toiletry bags and little travel containers came today! if i can organize it all the way i want, i will try to capture a pic of it and then you can all see first hand how truly Type A i am. 😅

i'm already prepping to take the toiletries in a smaller carryon bag so i can get the almond milk in the suitcase... gosh i wish i was better at math. it's not my strength, guys. i'm better with people/language/reading/writing.

oh well 😂

I thought I was close to being done with shopping... you just reminded me of one more thing I need to get. Some people lose socks; somehow I lose travel containers. For cruises I typically just pack my regular bottles of shampoo and conditioner since we drive to port most of the time. I just bought the giant liter bottles though, and I'm having visions of leakage all over my new clothes. 😱

Vacuum bags !  That’s what use to put all of my leakables in. Dan laughs at me b/c I vacuum seal soooo many things.  Of course, you have the problem of not being able to reseal once you open the package on the cruise, but I’m not nearly so worried about leaking on the way home.  I can easily clean up a spillage once home but not so much, on the ship.

12 hours ago, asquared17 said:

ETA: why did no one tell me i’d started three paragraphs in a row with “also”??? 😅🤣

12 hours ago, asquared17 said:

gosh i wish i was better at math. it's not my strength, guys. i'm better with people/language/reading/writing.

Don't look at me for help.  I am a math type of person.  My sister always tells me that it is a challenge for her to read my writings - trying to figure out what I mean.  Now give me a nice math or logic problem any day of the week. 

This mess is my travel stash.  Full of free samples, hotel shampoo/conditioner/lotion. Toothpaste from the dentist.  I also throw in make up and deodorant that have only a week or so in them.  Use them and toss them.  For those who use liquid foundation, department store make up counters have those little sample containers.  A couple last me 10 days and take up no room at all.

7FFA4330-FEAB-4AEB-9ECE-14DFD37FC99C.jpeg

8C28BE8C-E9E6-460D-A026-E2B152CE4401.jpeg

Like @Pooch I tend to buy the travel version of all my toiletries that way I can toss. But I also found these Amazon liquid covers to put on my large bottles. 

Amazon.com: YUBIRD 10 PCS Elastic Sleeves for Leak Proofing Travel, Silicone Leak Proof Sleeve Travel Covers, Silicone Travel Sleeves for Toiletries, Travel Toiletry Containers Accessories Gadgets for Women : Baby

This is exactly what happens. I find the cool stuff and make everyone a list of items I have brought and works. 

i am excited because my new carryon bag from dagne dover just arrived and it’s both MASSIVE + MARVELOUS. 🤩

i was using the next size down and it was leaving me pressed for space when trying to fold in my jacket/sweater, scarf and small crossbody purse. this will definitely make up the difference and the soft neoprene means it is collapsible enough to look smaller than it will be. (i hope.)

trying to make my travel toiletries somewhat presentable to share next 😂

image.jpg

I use small nylon duffel bags for carry ons.  They were freebies (remember I’m cheap!) when I joined book clubs back in the day.  I have 5-6 of them.  They are big enough to carry a full days clothes/toiletries for 2 or 3 people.  I also pack one in each of our checked bags as they fold super small & flat.  Then I have extra bags when everything doesn’t pack as neatly on the way home!

i was making labels and transferring to smaller travel bottles for my toiletries and had to abandon to make dinner. 

on a side note, my mother recently decided to start booking with my travel agent — totally fine, as she is not MY personal agent 😂 and i’d love for her to have the business — and both cruises in the past week have been an extreme run around. they booked on MSC in the yacht club (similar to the royal suite class/deck 17 on oasis class ships, i believe) and viking. 

when i tell you that she has been on the phone legit NON STOP with the cruise lines customer service over pricing discrepancies over and over; my uncle booked it for 2k cheaper and viking is refusing to honor the pricing for my parents ITS A WHOLE ORDEAL. 

needless to say, i looked at my father and went, “this is why i am loyal to royal.” 😂

i’m not saying RCCL doesn’t have its own set of challenges but… better the devil you know 😅

13 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

Its super funny, I am always called bougie by so many people yet when I cruise, I am okay with any room that's not an OV or forward. 

i mean, i am bougie too 😂 but again, hopefully in a way that minimizes the impact to others and only puts the lift on me. i hate being that person who inconveniences the group just because i prefer/want things to be a certain way.

...you guys are gonna die when i post my toiletries. it's mostly just my skincare routine. i am definitely not as low key as @Pooch 😅

round one of why i am a self-managed bougie person:

hair + skincare routine  

D17DD665-EC6B-4682-8512-3E848DC5F95F.jpeg

all drybar products (which are not used everyday to be fair) - dry shampoo not pictured since i ran out on my last trip and need to restock.

to be fair, i do have an insane amount of hair like a lion’s mane - this just tames it so i don’t have to ever really brush it between washing. …which is probably way more than anyone wanted to know but, well. we’ve talked about the air conditioned bathrooms at the coco beach club. i feel we’re all friends here. 😂

01BC3802-07F9-425E-8494-ABA97BDC0CBA.jpeg

mostly beautypie products - the little containers are like .5 ml and are a real departure from the much bigger containers i used to bring.

IM GETTING BETTER, GUYS!!

Ok I don’t even know what to say about all that.  Dear God does your face really need all of that?!?!?  Not my business but do you have some type of skin condition?  I wash my face, apply a moisturizer/firming combo cream and sunscreen.  Sorry to say you can’t stop Time.  We all get old & wrinkly!!

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

I legit thought the first photo was face and hair until I scrolled down. No wonder you cannot get by with a carry-on. My ENTIRE toiletries bag is less than your haircare situation. 

i'm crying 🤣 at least i know this about myself though. and i'm the one who carries all my own stuff, so... self-managed bougie-ness. also my hair is a jungle of its own. it has taken me many years to learn how to navigate it for best success.

30 minutes ago, Pooch said:

Ok I don’t even know what to say about all that.  Dear God does your face really need all of that?!?!?  Not my business but do you have some type of skin condition?  I wash my face, apply a moisturizer/firming combo cream and sunscreen.  Sorry to say you can’t stop Time.  We all get old & wrinkly!!

ahahahahaha i promised myself when i reached a certain age, i'd invest in a good skincare routine. if we met in person, you'd probably think i was 5-10 years younger than i actually am. its just my own beast to manage.

told you guys you'd think i was nuts 😂 even my family thinks i'm a little kooky. in all honesty, i probably could swap out a few vials/potions - i don't use them all every day but i always have stuff on standby just in case of sunburn or any type of weird flare up.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, asquared17 said:

i think we flew out of AC once and i was told trenton was fairly similar.

good to know, although frontier may not jive for my not-so light traveling ways… 😂😅😩🤣 i had a former coworker who loved it and could travel with a backpack only. it was inspiring to me but i also was fully cognizant that it probably wouldn’t work since i’m usually pushing the 50lb limit as it is 🤣

I'm going on a two week transatlantic soon and there are so many people in our Facebook group bragging about how they're only bringing one backpack each. How in the world? Never going to happen here.

PS, I most definitely bring "weird" stuff with me all the time. I always bring a box of crackers or cookies, ginger candy as well, in case I get seasick, which so far has not happened. I bring tons and tons of OTC medication's and items… Better to have them and not need them then the other way around. And I usually need them! It's gone to the point where my suitcase is so taken up by all the extras that there's not a lot of room for clothes let alone shoes

23 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

I'm going on a two week transatlantic soon and there are so many people in our Facebook group bragging about how they're only bringing one backpack each. How in the world? Never going to happen here.

could never be me. NEVER. 

23 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

PS, I most definitely bring "weird" stuff with me all the time. I always bring a box of crackers or cookies, ginger candy as well, in case I get seasick, which so far has not happened. I bring tons and tons of OTC medication's and items… Better to have them and not need them then the other way around. And I usually need them! It's gone to the point where my suitcase is so taken up by all the extras that there's not a lot of room for clothes let alone shoes

THIS!! BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED!!!!

on our past december cruise, i’d forgotten a few things i needed and was kicking myself for the entire week. 

i’ve started bringing jeweled flats instead of heels for night time outfits to save space/weight. which is ironic, because i’m always in a heel. needs must and all that 😅😂

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

I could probably do a week with a backpack but I’d need to do laundry for 2 weeks.

i am always curious laundry aboard because some folks say they’ve had nothing but success with it and others say their clothes were destroyed 😳 we were on seabourn and i did laundry and the clothes just… didn’t feel or smell the same. i was happy to come home and do them. but i think the laundry on royal is much more powerful.