hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

45 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

I thought we were bad with products, but you put us to SHAME!! 🤣🤣🤣

i am painfully honest and will own my bougieness. all my stuff has a purpose though!! also you can’t tell from the pic but they are all super tiny or travel sized products.

the irony is that i am that person who will roll out of bed, hair unbrushed and be ready to go (after my skincare routine, of course). i am surprisingly otherwise low maintenance. 

its just more work on the front end/hair washing days 😂 typically i’m a 1-2x a week gal but vacation is like every other day (unless i’m in the ocean or pool). 

ALAS!!!

I get that. I normally wash my hair 2x, maybe 3x, a week because my hair is dry and keratin treatments are crazy expensive. The more i wash, the sooner my treatment fades. But on cruises i wash way more often.

I always laugh at the "luxury or upgraded" products offered in suites.  I'm not sure about the new brand Royal is currently using, but I've yet to find anything color or keratin safe (e.g., sulfate and paraben free) on any cruise line. Norwegian's "upgraded" line has body wash doubling as shampoo,  which pretty much tells you all you need to know. Umm, no, just no ... 🤣

20 hours ago, SweetPea said:

I get that. I normally wash my hair 2x, maybe 3x, a week because my hair is dry and keratin treatments are crazy expensive. The more i wash, the sooner my treatment fades. But on cruises i wash way more often.

I always laugh at the "luxury or upgraded" products offered in suites.  I'm not sure about the new brand Royal is currently using, but I've yet to find anything color or keratin safe (e.g., sulfate and paraben free) on any cruise line. Norwegian's "upgraded" line has body wash doubling as shampoo,  which pretty much tells you all you need to know. Umm, no, just no ... 🤣

that’s another reason I only book suites.  All in one shampoo/conditioner/body wash what???  I have very short hair & any shampoo and conditioner will mostly do but they have to at least be separate products!

On 4/4/2023 at 11:29 PM, asquared17 said:

i always joke that i’m high maintenance but only so far as it is incumbent upon me. i hate to inconvenience others; if i know the food could be an issue, i’ll bring snacks or my own thing; always travel with my own water if i can; and i’m the one who has the arsenal of various over the counter meds and remedies, depending on what ails you 😂

(this is also why my luggage pushes the weight limits and i cannot travel with carryon alone. rip me 😂)

I fell behind in this blog this past week but I am dying laughing! You and I are more alike than you know. I might be the one who can put you to shame with the toiletries, I kid you not! lol

This is also why I can never travel with just carry on. And I fully understand the NEED for all those products. 

BTW, from one product junkie to another, I used to be a huge Dermalogica fan (for years), but over the last 6-7 months, I have discovered Eminence Organics and I am telling you, Dermalogica cannot even compare.

Hair...I am an Alterna/Pureology/Big Sexy fan myself. IYKYK lol

YESSSSSSS!!!!! product junkies unite!!!!!! 

High Five Nbc GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

i am def rosa in the leather jacket (my jacket of choice always haha)

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I fell behind in this blog this past week but I am dying laughing! You and I are more alike than you know. I might be the one who can put you to shame with the toiletries, I kid you not! lol

BTW, from one product junkie to another, I used to be a huge Dermalogica fan (for years), but over the last 6-7 months, I have discovered Eminence Organics and I am telling you, Dermalogica cannot even compare.

Hair...I am an Alterna/Pureology/Big Sexy fan myself. IYKYK lol

i will look at eminence organics!!

i actually love beautypie (marcia kilgore’s brand; she did bliss spa products and fit flop) and get most of my stuff there but use dermalogica for the superfoliant and daily spf for the face as my skin doesn't get angry at me when i use it. 

this is why i was DYING when your luggage was lost — i was envisioning all the stuff you couldn’t get at the local CVS. 

also this does not include all the other not so cute looking toiletries; toothpaste, mouthwash, shaving cream, deodorant etc.

so fam, there is in fact a THIRD toiletry bag!!!! 🫠🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃 

and i will crosspack some toiletries in my carryon — not necessarily always shoes or clothes, mind you — but toiletries… YES. 

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

so fam, there is in fact a THIRD toiletry bag!!!! 🫠🙃🙃🙃🙃🙃 

and i will crosspack some toiletries in my carryon — not necessarily always shoes or clothes, mind you — but toiletries… YES. 

Listen to yourself! You need to drive to the port and just don't know it yet! 😆

i will look at eminence organics!!

You most definitely need to. It is like no product line that I have ever tried, and I have tried many! 

this is why i was DYING when your luggage was lost — i was envisioning all the stuff you couldn’t get at the local CVS. 

Omg...I found stuff, but let's just say that my hair was pretty unhappy that entire week. My face products were safe though. When we travel with two kids, I take 3 of the ziploc bags that we are allowed to take on the plane. Kids get 1, Hubby 0.

We all agree that should our luggage get lost again, his products are the easiest to find at a local CVS or Publix lol.

@Pooch i don't want to say you are cute because that can come off as impertinent/disrespectful, BUT -- you have a very youthful face + great smile!!! i am envisioning you guys on the pool deck somewhere on a ship in this picture and that makes me happy 🥰💚

26 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Listen to yourself! You need to drive to the port and just don't know it yet! 😆

oh man the way i would do this if i could... if only i could sail the atlantic, EVER. 🙃 bayonne would be a dream.

20 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

You most definitely need to. It is like no product line that I have ever tried, and I have tried many! 

Omg...I found stuff, but let's just say that my hair was pretty unhappy that entire week. My face products were safe though. When we travel with two kids, I take 3 of the ziploc bags that we are allowed to take on the plane. Kids get 1, Hubby 0.

We all agree that should our luggage get lost again, his products are the easiest to find at a local CVS or Publix lol.

that is really smart. i am getting complacent because we always travel non stop, arrive earlier than we probably should, and i use air tags to track my bags like a hawk. J laughs at me because i'll go, "where are they now? LET'S CHECK" while she just sits back and calmly watches everything arrive the way it should. united actually is good about tracking the bags too and sending text notifications/keeping you posted when they've been boarded onto the flight, etc. still... i have lost/gotten delayed bags before and it's not fun.

you are right for your husband to be the forfeiter (is this even a word??😂), nay, casualty in this delayed baggage war!!!

since we are just under the 20 day mark,  i pulled up my outfit list (ostensibly so i don't over pack, and yet somehow i still do) and there are a lot of blanks/days to fill in. i run off an outfit list and then a regular packing list, and typically between the two, i am good as far as not forgetting things.

last time i forgot the PLUG to my diffuser, which was brutal. we (i say WE, but i think we all know that J probably could care less) like to just run it with some lavender at night to help sleep (we didn't have it on symphony and sleep was elusive 🤔), and it keeps the cabin from being really dry since we/I run the AC at its coldest setting non stop.

you guys would laugh that its typed up and then color coded with a highlighter... but this helps me help myself!!

i swear i did not used to be this Type A when i was growing up. then i hit my 30s and everything changed...

It is important to know what works for you. If you can manage it, keep it up. I found basic, gentle soap and some oil works for me. If I put anything else my face, it gets weird. I will be 38 next month and according to most people I don't look but two days over 21 🤣

I also have to admit seeing your beauty regiment just reminded me of how not girly I am. No makeup, no heels, no jewelry .......I love me a good dress though.......but it has to be simple. No cleavage, sparkles, poofiness (my made-up word), truthfully, I like dresses because they are one and done. Just pull over or on......done. This is how I survive with a carry-on. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

It is important to know what works for you. If you can manage it, keep it up. I found basic, gentle soap and some oil works for me. If I put anything else my face, it gets weird. I will be 38 next month and according to most people I don't look but two days over 21 🤣

I also have to admit seeing your beauty regiment just reminded me of how not girly I am. No makeup, no heels, no jewelry .......I love me a good dress though.......but it has to be simple. No cleavage, sparkles, poofiness (my made-up word), truthfully, I like dresses because they are one and done. Just pull over or on......done. This is how I survive with a carry-on. 

Now THATS me!  I always said the “girly” gene skipped a generation.  Mom was a fashion plate in her day and my daughter loves to dress up.  Me? Not so much unless she makes me.  I also HATE to shop.  She has to drag me kicking & screaming.  I am truly envious of people with fashion sense.  I’m just not one of them.

BTW, my maternal grandmother used very cold water & ivory soap and paternal grandmother swore by Ponds cold cream.

3 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

see i often think it’s a state of mind; when you wear what you feel good in, you are “girly” or feminine. (don’t want to be offending anyone here with pronoun usage; you know what i mean.) 

working in retail for 10+ years definitely shifts the perspective. i usually feel most comfortable in jeans and a classic v-neck tee and a leather jacket. now, if there is an event to be had, i will rise to the occasion, but even i know my limits. like you, i have things i steer clear of - most pastels, anything ruffled, nothing too “twee” (sweet) or pretty pretty princess. i will always rock a “casual sequin” but i’ll mix it up with a tee shirt or leather jacket. makeup is usually simple too; mascara and a red lip and that’s it. and of course, i never brush my hair once i’ve washed and styled it the first time 😂 so i tell myself it all evens out!!

i remember the first time my cousin was getting ready to go out with friends and it was so early, like an hour and a half before. it was a whole new concept to me that there was this beautification process before hand. give me 5 minutes with a curling iron (if that) and a red lipstick — and i’m out. 😂

dresses are phenomenal; i agree with you on the one and done. i’ve gotten into jumpsuits too, although they can be trickier on airport days with bathroom shenanigans 😅 J already knows my “boarding outfit” is a black jumpsuit, i wear it on every embarkation. 

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Now THATS me!  I always said the “girly” gene skipped a generation.  Mom was a fashion plate in her day and my daughter loves to dress up.  Me? Not so much unless she makes me.  I also HATE to shop.  She has to drag me kicking & screaming.  I am truly envious of people with fashion sense.  I’m just not one of them.

BTW, my maternal grandmother used very cold water & ivory soap and paternal grandmother swore by Ponds cold cream.

if we lived closer, @Pooch, i would bring the shopping to you!! i used to have a lot of clients who felt the same way. a lot of the time it was because they got frustrated by the whole experience, which i totally understood. in a perfect world, i would come to CT and personal shop so it was a better experience 💚😊 and you wouldn’t need to deal with the hassle. 

also i love the very cold water tip. i have heard ponds cold cream is phenomenal too. 

i love learning new tricks/hacks from everyone here 💚💚💚

see i often think it’s a state of mind; when you wear what you feel good in, you are “girly” or feminine. (don’t want to be offending anyone here with pronoun usage; you know what i mean.) 

working in retail for 10+ years definitely shifts the perspective. i usually feel most comfortable in jeans and a classic v-neck tee and a leather jacket. now, if there is an event to be had, i will rise to the occasion, but even i know my limits. like you, i have things i steer clear of - most pastels, anything ruffled, nothing too “twee” (sweet) or pretty pretty princess. i will always rock a “casual sequin” but i’ll mix it up with a tee shirt or leather jacket. makeup is usually simple too; mascara and a red lip and that’s it. and of course, i never brush my hair once i’ve washed and styled it the first time 😂 so i tell myself it all evens out!!

i remember the first time my cousin was getting ready to go out with friends and it was so early, like an hour and a half before. it was a whole new concept to me that there was this beautification process before hand. give me 5 minutes with a curling iron (if that) and a red lipstick — and i’m out. 😂

dresses are phenomenal; i agree with you on the one and done. i’ve gotten into jumpsuits too, although they can be trickier on airport days with bathroom shenanigans 😅 J already knows my “boarding outfit” is a black jumpsuit, i wear it on every embarkation. 

if we lived closer, @Pooch, i would bring the shopping to you!! i used to have a lot of clients who felt the same way. a lot of the time it was because they got frustrated by the whole experience, which i totally understood. in a perfect world, i would come to CT and personal shop so it was a better experience 💚😊 and you wouldn’t need to deal with the hassle. 

also i love the very cold water tip. i have heard ponds cold cream is phenomenal too. 

i love learning new tricks/hacks from everyone here 💚💚💚

I must see this jumpsuit!

i have been shopping for one that doesn't make me look like a toddler. (I'm five one.) 😅

@Pooch Your service is to be commended.

My first retail job was Circuit City and after one black Friday, I was done. I hate shopping but love research, so I am the go-to person when it comes to finding a deal. 

@asquared17 I can tell your people skills are on point. Because this blog has taken some sweet turns. I have enjoyed all the extra stuff. 

My brother calls all jumpsuits, onesies, as a 5'3" round person.... they are never in my future. My travel outfit is always Crocs, leggings, and a comfy T-shirt. I don't own jeans and have only worn a pair once......they turned my legs dark blue and the hypochondriac in me thought I was dying. 

My skin care routine is pretty simple and I never wear makeup.  I do have one whole suitcase with nothing but food products because I am gluten free.  I bring my own oatmeal in packets, snack items and dehydrated soup.  I used to try to fit everything into one suitcase but I don't want to spend any of my vacation at a grocery store so I bring my own food in the second suitcase.

@Pooch i love it!!! what a great color for you!! fits nicely at the waist and the length is good too 💚 denim jacket will be a great contrast to the berry color 😍

8 hours ago, Montemy2419 said:

I do have one whole suitcase with nothing but food products because I am gluten free.  I bring my own oatmeal in packets, snack items and dehydrated soup. 

this is smart. my mom has a lot of dietary restrictions also, so she brings her own snacks and food as well; i have started bringing peanut butter and crackers with me and a carton or two of coconut water. although last time i didn’t eat it and we didn’t have room/weight to bring it home so i had to leave it behind 😩 we asked our stateroom attendant if he would take it, as it was unopened and he said sure! i was hoping he could trade it for something else if it’s not what he likes. 

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

My brother calls all jumpsuits, onesies, as a 5'3" round person.... they are never in my future. My travel outfit is always Crocs, leggings, and a comfy T-shirt. 

my dad calls all onesies, rompers. i have tried to explain many times that a jumpsuit has the long legs and a romper has the short ones… to no avail. maybe it’s a male thing 😂 i like your travel outfit. mine is usually leggings, a black v-neck tee (i will die in a v neck i swear 😂) and a lightweight jacket or sweater. 

9 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I don't own jeans and have only worn a pair once......they turned my legs dark blue and the hypochondriac in me thought I was dying. 

i’m crying 😂😂😂 dark denim has the tendency to do this! a good trick is to wash in cold water with a bit of white vinegar to keep the color “set” - you can actually do this with any fabric if you are worried about dye/color transferring. 

when i was growing up, i had such a hard time finding jeans that actually fit. i vowed to never have anyone else experience that when i worked in retail. it was always a proud moment for me when someone who said they never felt good in jeans, would find a pair they felt great in, because i knew that discouragement all too well. my parting gift would always be care advice; wash inside out in cold water and hang to dry - never put in dryer for more than 15-20 mins on low/medium — people think the dryer makes your jeans shrink back to size but it actually weakens the integrity of the stretch over time and paradoxically causes the denim to sag/stretch out.

okay i’m off my soapbox about denim care now 😂

my latest favorite has been good american; they are definitely pricey but you can snag them on sale if you shop around and know what style works for you best. i like also how they do a range of fits in case you don’t want a straight leg or a high rise, etc. khloe kardashian has horrible taste in men 😅 but she sure knows her denim, and i love that the brand is so size inclusive. 

18 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

I must see this jumpsuit!

i have been shopping for one that doesn't make me look like a toddler. (I'm five one.) 😅

this is the one in currently in rotation:

8A89273D-3D37-452D-AFC4-F3FAB5898E41.jpeg

but i used to favor a wide leg version with a cropped leg and lower back that was super comfortable also. 

1109B372-BD45-4F69-ADCC-10A74ACFE9D5.jpeg

958D94AA-AB82-4C39-97F1-BA720E548AEF.jpeg

9E80ECC7-6849-41C5-B712-901AC4A96F93.jpeg

i typically don’t wear black unless i am in a ~mood (ie, don’t mess with me, i am on a mission 😂😂) except for when i travel.   then i’m like, give me ALL the black because travel is messy!!

And that was my thought too (although I am still on the fence about it).  Tried one on & said OMG NO!!!!!  But for a change I didn’t give up.  I actually found I was trying on a size too large.  Dropped a size & they looked better.  I am an old, round 5’3” so if I can find one, we all can!

8 hours ago, Pooch said:

Ok that’s gorgeous and I will never post a picture of myself here again!  After the cruise blog is over can you start a “Fashion for Dummies” blog?

pfft you look GREAT!! 

that would be so much fun!!! i don’t know if i have the discipline to start up a blog 😂 but maybe i can work it into my live blogs here or we can all join a random fashion thread “how to make this outfit cruise worthy!” 🤩 and we can all cheer each other on.

now i’m envisioning matt’s face as we try to figure out which sub-forum it would need to be in 😆

4 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

Wow, I love both of those jumpsuits! You gals are rocking it.

proportion is really the biggest takeaway (as with most clothes 😂) - at 5’1, we just need to find you one that is cropped in length and has a short or fitted sleeve so you don’t get lost in the fabric. 

…oh dear, my inner stylist is coming out. 

QUICK!! stuff her back into the box ! 😂

My first thought about the pictures of the toiletries - was WOW!  That is so much NOT like me.  

My second thought about the toiletries - WOW - what great labels! Again - so much NOT like me. 

Love this post and how we got side tracked.  My toiletries: 1 shampoo, 1 cream rinse, 1 liquid body soap, 1 face product, 1 styling gel.  I do go crazy with my mouth care: 2 types of tooth paste, fluoride rinse, 2 toothbrushes, 2 types of floss, and a mouth guard. 

And let us not get started on the OTC drugs.....  

3 hours ago, FireFishII said:

Love this post and how we got side tracked.  My toiletries: 1 shampoo, 1 cream rinse, 1 liquid body soap, 1 face product, 1 styling gel.  I do go crazy with my mouth care: 2 types of tooth paste, fluoride rinse, 2 toothbrushes, 2 types of floss, and a mouth guard. 

And let us not get started on the OTC drugs.....  

okay so i do bring one electric toothbrush and one regular one. 😅 to be fair, the electric one comes in my carryon!!!

also you guys are gonna laugh but i bring a tiny avengers kids brush because the bristles are soft 😂 and i am told that i am too aggressive a brusher. 

https://www.amazon.com/Avengers-Superheroes-Toothbrush-Friendly-Designed/dp/B085WB7JTD/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=kids+avengers+toothbrushes&qid=1681266328&sr=8-3

otc meds i bring my (beloved) advil cold + sinus, excedrin migraine, and regular advil mini liquid gels. this does not include my vitamins, which are… extensive. you will all be ready to throw me overboard when you see those as well, i am sure 😂

most of those are just to have, in case i need them. not that i take them every day. 

i also have some more homeopathic stuff for seasickness, food poisoning, upset stomach, etc. and liquid IV packets to restore minerals etc if it was A Day or i’m feeling depleted from the sun and stuff. i know the sodium content is high, so i do also bring a 40oz reusable water bottle that i try to fill up and finish every single day as well. 

4 hours ago, Pooch said:

No no let her out!  I need all the help I can get!  Truly so glad I joined this thread.  What wonderful supportive people!  God bless you all.

we have a fantastic group 💚🥰💃🏻 i am so happy to have you all and i love our side convos as well. i hope being on the actual ship yields some good stories ala @Ampurp85 or i fear i will be severely slacking on the content. 😂

I enjoyed your last blog, so keep up the good work. Traveling solo means I see/experience shenanigans a lot because I'm interacting with strangers or they interact with me 😅🤣.

I also bring an electric toothbrush but also a basic Reach one. I am a big believer in bringing everything you need just in case. It's just my needs happened to be minimal. Truthfully I usually have two/three packing cubes for most trips and maybe three/four for trips two weeks or longer. That maybe fills one side of my luggage, the rest is stuff I can't function without like fans, snacks, first aid, renuzit cones, etc.

I too had to switch to a soft and small head toothbrush.  Boy, those can be hard to find sometimes. 

My doctor recommended that I stop using Advil and like products (NSAIDs) because there have been issues found with Advil and post menopausal women.  (increase of stroke, heart attack, and death).  But sometimes Tylenol just does not cut thru the pain. 

Love the liquid IV. 

15 minutes ago, FireFishII said:

I too had to switch to a soft and small head toothbrush.  Boy, those can be hard to find sometimes. 

My doctor recommended that I stop using Advil and like products (NSAIDs) because there have been issues found with Advil and post menopausal women.  (increase of stroke, heart attack, and death).  But sometimes Tylenol just does not cut thru the pain. 

Love the liquid IV. 

Wow didn't know this. I only use Tylenol because I had a bad reaction from Advil. 

1 hour ago, Ampurp85 said:

Wow didn't know this. I only use Tylenol because I had a bad reaction from Advil. 

Back about 15 years ago, I had a bad reaction to naproxen (aka Aleve).  It was a possible allergic reaction.  I had to stay away from all NSAIDs for a year.  But I finally went back to Advil.  Fortunately for me, no bad reaction.   

Funny thing, my father had issues with Advil but could tolerate Aleve.  

How many more days before @asquared17 trip?  I am getting excited for you!

Can we go back to the packing lists for a minute? I was on my cruise and couldn't weigh in, but I am a list-maker!!

My primary packing list is typed up and saved, and it is organized by levels in my home so I don't have to backtrack so much (I'm in a rowhome with 4 stories, including finished basement where luggage is stored). This is my packing list for everywhere, no matter how long or where we're going. It includes subcategories like "in summer" and "in winter." Each member of my family has a travel toiletry bag that had duplicates of all items we use at home that is stored with luggage. When something is close to running out when we're away, I make a note and try to get it replaced when we get back so I don't have to deal with it before we leave. 

THEN, I create a Google doc for specific vacations which outlines our schedule, our reservations, our confirmation numbers, helpful hints, AND another packing list for things specific to this trip. As I'm reading the forum messages or as I think of things, I just add them to the bottom of this list.

Even with all of that, every time I leave for vacation, I get that awful sinking feeling that I've forgotten something really important.