hoping to be reunited on harmony... (4.29.23-5.6.23 ~ harmony of the seas)

asquared17

just received our email for cabin preferences! i requested extra blankets and for the beds to be separated. it’s anyone’s guess if they will be 😅 but sorted easily enough once onboard. 

after work today, i have a pre-vacation pedicure 💚 still tracking clothes that are due to arrive but may need to call it what it is. we’ll see…

1 hour ago, Pooch said:

I blame you guys trying to make me look good!

we admit nothing 😏

Star Wars Revenge Of The Fifth GIF

11 hours ago, She Sails Away said:

Let's see that pedicure! 

i will spare everyone a foot pic but will share when i get them in a cute pair of shoes for an outfit! 💚 my nail technician always laughs because i have been wearing the same color for years; it's like a dark red/burgundy almost looks black. its my standard look.

also... CRISIS IN MY WORLD. (not really, but...)

so the cold brew that i drink comes in a relatively large/hefty glass bottle when you purchase it from a store/local coffee shop. the bottle is great because it doesn't leak, but as you might imagine, it's ~heavy. once upon a time i ordered it from the brewery instead of picking it up at the local store and they shipped them in a plastic same size bottle. IT WAS PERFECT. so now i save the bottle and just transfer it over before i pack it. swear it saves me like 2-3 pounds. (IT ADDS UP, GUYS.)

GUESS WHO COULDN'T FIND THE PLASTIC BOTTLE ANYWHERE???????

before we talk about couldn't you transfer it to a reusable water bottle or other vessel -- yes. i could. but this one is the perfect size for mini fridges everywhere and even if i did transfer it a reusable water bottle, then i'd have to get it out and into another sealed container so that i could use my actual water bottle.

(is this an appropriate time to mention that i bring an insulated/stainless steel stemless champagne flute for sailaway and also a coffee cup to keep my cold brew cold? who am i kidding, y'all have seen my packing list by now 😅)

thankfully we sourced some on amazon that can have same day delivery between 2-6pm. bless you, bezos. (things i never thought i'd be saying 😅) i have been burned by same day delivery not showing up before, so let's see what happens.

also the vacation round of clothes ordered sunday are technically out for delivery today. so we may just be in business.

stay tuned...

You make me feel better about MY overpacking.  I don’t think I hold a candle to you🥰.  Anyway, I just finished all the ironing,  now on hangers everywhere.  3 dresses and 13 shirts all had to be ironed.  I won’t pack them until next Thursday so they will only look semi-wrinkled when I unpack.  I am just so darn excited for you.  

the clothes arrived in time!!!!

and… the pants are too big. so is one of the dresses. i am currently racing to the store to make the exchange. i already called to see if they still have the last pair i tried on sunday (that i should have just grabbed at the time) which they put aside for me. but what a wrench in the works.

also the health questionnaire opened today and i panicked that the cruise was somehow tomorrow and i’d fouled everything up. (it’s fine. we sail saturday. i was thinking the questionnaire opened 24 hours in advance and not 48.)

since i will be working tomorrow right up until we leave, it’s going to be a bit of a whirlwind. i have been running errands or doing stuff for the trip every day this week after work and even on my lunch breaks; needless to say, i am READY to go on vacation. typically i build in a buffer day between but we agreed not to take off any more time than was necessary. 

normally it wouldn’t be an issue but things at work have been especially crazy, so i’ve been working harder than my usual hustle to get everything wrapped up ahead of time for my team while i am out next week. 

7 hours ago, Pooch said:

You make me feel better about MY overpacking.  I don’t think I hold a candle to you🥰.  Anyway, I just finished all the ironing,  now on hangers everywhere.  3 dresses and 13 shirts all had to be ironed.  I won’t pack them until next Thursday so they will only look semi-wrinkled when I unpack.  I am just so darn excited for you.  

hahahaha i don’t wish this kind of packing nonsense on anyone!! but i will say i’m very impressed by your ironing. i DESPISE ironing. but i will use a steaming on any/everything. it’s very cathartic to watch the wrinkles disappear 😂 

i’m happy we’ve been in this journey together 💚💚

Wooo!!!!!!, today is my brother's big 4-0 and I am eating delicious cake, wishing I was cruising. But at least in only two more days you will be on a ship, Harmony at that. 

Can I ask how many bags will you be checking? 

I also hate......no loath ironing. I brought a new dress and blouse on my cruise with my brother in Jan and had to iron them at the hotel. I vowed never to buy anything that could get wrinkled......then I realized I could fit some of my circa early 2000s clothes and I invested in a steamer and still hate it, but it is a lot easier than ironing. 

36 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Can I ask how many bags will you be checking? 

i will be checking one large suitcase and then J will carry my spare duffel through security for a gate check. 

…because i will still have my wheeled carryon and personal item (which is sizeable). 😅🙃🫠

…yes. yes i will have four (4) bags. 🙃🙃🙃🙃

11 hours ago, Pooch said:

I blame you guys trying to make me look good!

@Pooch you look GREAT!! Our pharmacy includes “what if and just in case” daily prescription meds. OTC supplements/concoctions , body wash, sunscreens, after sun, moisturizers—def fills an entire luggage .   DH size 13 dress shoes, athletic shoes and water shoes def take up enormous space in luggage #2. The older we get the more indecisive we are.  Pack  now; and pick later😂😂.  

a different dress i’d gotten on poshmark is going to work instead of the wide leg pants (they are too long with the heels i’m packing) but i’m in the process of running it through the laundry in the next cycle and then hopefully it will be dry by tomorrow when i close the suitcase 😳

update to the coffee saga: the container works perfectly. although i may not have left a lot of room for expansion on the plane…

IMG_3007.jpeg

tonite i have a few things left for my carryon to pack - makeup is one of them - and the final outfit run down. it’s almost better that one of the other dresses didn’t work, it will require me to take one less backup outfit. somehow, i should be in good shape by tomorrow, surprisingly. 

i don’t know why i am always so shocked when it comes together in the end. i am glad i took sunday to do it all though; definitely too frazzled from work this week to be doing it tonite/tomorrow, other than the few lingering things that need to be done. 

56 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I’m glad you mentioned the “health check” timing.  For the past 2 cruises we have been receiving ours 48 hours in advance vs 24 hours.  Not sure if they are changing the timing or if it’s just a [totally not surprising] glitch.

i literally panicked when it came through and i doubted everything. i’m glad you guys have been getting yours at 48 hours too. 💚

the next 24 hours are going to be the hardest to get through 😅 does anyone else get ~weird (if you followed my symphony blog, you know this term 😂) on travel days???

i have no issues with flying or anything to do with the plane; all my stuff stems from - are we going to miss our flight? will our bags make it? what if i get sick on the plane and we're trapped in the air?

for the record, NONE OF THESE THINGS HAVE EVER HAPPENED. i am not sure why they are running like a loop of greatest worst hits in my head -- and will continue to do so until we touch down in miami tomorrow. 🙃

last night i was staring blankly at my passport on my desk and had the a ha! moment that i should probably bring it... can you tell i am overdue for a vacation??

the last minute dress is dry (!) so i'm about to pack it now and hopefully close up the suitcase. stay tuned to see if it's under 50 lbs... then i find out what i need to move/shift around. probably should take a shot of all my luggage at some point so you can have a good laugh. 😂

hope everyone is having a good friday!!

I get those feelings, particularly that I will get to the airport and act brand new. Or my fear is that I will get to my seat and someone else will be there and I mixed up the gates.......never mind how irrational it is that they scanned my ticket and let me on so.....🙄

But I wish you all the good vibes and goodness. Let's hope your luggage is only 44lbs.

okay so the first time, suitcase was only 54lbs!!!!!!

(not discussed here: the struggle i had while zipping and unzipping and playing the russian roulette version of repacking five pounds, give or take.)

the upside of this is that my skincare routine now lives in my carryon, so no fear of leaving that behind.

suitcase is zipped up and ready to go downstairs. the duffel bag is too.

i have my actual personal item/duffel and roller carryon left to go. just a few more things to finish here and we should be good to go. i hope i sleep like a rock tonite, seriously guys.

just keep telling myself... this time tomorrow, you'll be on harmony, with your bags (hopefully!) and in your cabin. it will be okay. just have to make it through the next 20 hours or so...

2 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

I get those feelings, particularly that I will get to the airport and act brand new. Or my fear is that I will get to my seat and someone else will be there and I mixed up the gates.......never mind how irrational it is that they scanned my ticket and let me on so.....🙄

But I wish you all the good vibes and goodness. Let's hope your luggage is only 44lbs.

BRAND NEW. that's the perfect term for this. like clearly i have a modicum of experience and??? apparently??? my brain wants to trick me that i am brand new???

i failed you on the luggage 😅

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

Of course i get it! That's why we're only driving to the port right now! You keep making a case for yourself to do the same, and you just don't know it yet 🤣🤣

oh man if i could do it -- either bayonne with the atlantic, or a straight down to florida, i would -- but that has its own challenges.

honestly this is why we don't fly the day we sail and will NEVER take the first flight in the morning again. this was a one and done 🙃

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Wait? How did I miss this? You are flying in the "day of"??

yes and i regret all of my life choices 😅

it is 8pm and i am finally in bed, laying flat. i got a travel mini weighted blanket (don’t come for me, i know i’m extra) and it’s making me feel better already. i plan to read for a little bit and hopefully be asleep by 9:30, the latest. since my appetite has basically abandoned me due to nerves, i’ve been working on a few snack things for a bit. going to drink some more water tonite and take my night supplements which include magnesium, which HOPEFULLY knocks me the heck out. 

57 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

it’s 3:40am and the fire alarm is going off.

That's really smart. I wouldn't have thought about checking the fire alarm hours before I go on a cruise. But I like the idea at least you know now that it works even while you are cruising.

we stayed at a hotel near the airport last night - we got a good rate and thought it would be better to shave the time off our getting to the airport. 

if i’d slept and the fire alarm hadn’t woken us up an hour or so before we needed to be awake, it probably would be been a good decision. 

on the plus side, we sailed through security. it was actually faster than i expected, so i had to chug my protein shake and take some fortifying sips of my cold brew before abandoning them to go through the lane.

the gate crew has already told us that the flight is oversold and they are requesting bags to be checked now. j got the spare duffel through security without an issue so i was able to get it tagged here at the gate. one less thing to carry onto the plane.

also despite my suitcase being 51-52 lbs, by some miracle it only read 22.8 on the scale. 

i hope to catch a few winks on the plane and then have a speedy bag retrieval when we land in miami. it’s supposed to be quite hot when we land and be almost 90 at the hottest part of the day - knowing how wiped i am right now, we’re probably going to find somewhere quiet and climate controlled to wait for the cabins to be opened. 

5 hours ago, asquared17 said:

well… it’s 3:40am and the fire alarm is going off at the hotel.

we’re standing outside. in the rain. in 40 degree weather. in pajamas. outside the building.

on the plus side, we won’t be missing our 4:15am alarm. 

on the minus side, i didn’t fall asleep until 1am. 🙃

I'm pretty sure this is your 237th argument for driving to the port. 🤣 Atlantic waters aren't that bad. 

Most of the time .... 😇

6 hours ago, asquared17 said:

well… it’s 3:40am and the fire alarm is going off at the hotel.

we’re standing outside. in the rain. in 40 degree weather. in pajamas. outside the building.

on the plus side, we won’t be missing our 4:15am alarm. 

on the minus side, i didn’t fall asleep until 1am. 🙃

OMG! This is like fiction, but it's not!

Glad you made in on the plane.

It's cruise day!!!!

4 hours ago, asquared17 said:

also despite my suitcase being 51-52 lbs, by some miracle it only read 22.8 on the scale. 

Sounds like the scale was in kilograms ... odd, but 50ish lbs can't get to 22.8 lbs on this planet.

😉

Have a great trip ... and no complaints about the heat (it is less than 50 degF here with rain and no end in sight).

Curt from Canada

we landed (!!!) thank god. 

we had to pull some crazy u-turn to come in so the captain already said it’s going to be longer to get to the gate. our boarding slot kicks off in 30 mins. 

i did the emuster on the plane with J. 

now we just need to get our bags and get the heck outta here. 

i also need to remember to pull out my cruise tags and affix them, and move my cold brew from my suitcase to my carryon so i don’t have to journey down to the brig later to retrieve it. 

Screenshot 2023-04-29 at 9.53.39 AM.png

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

so far we have 1/3 bags. meanwhile, J’s set sail pass isn’t loading and she didn’t print out a copy 🙃

…we are going to get on that ship, but lord if the universe isn’t making us WORK for it this time. 

PAPER COPIES!!!  Yes I am old & anal retentive but for half a cent worth of paper, I am always covered.  Please keep us posted.

WE MADE IT, FAM!!!!!!!

ya girl has got her tuna fish sandwiches (and hopefully her appetite back). we are parked in dazzles to wait until the staterooms open. 

i have embarkation tales to share but i haven’t eaten anything of substance in about three days due to travel anxiety. so this tuna will have me feeling good i think. 

IMG_3030.jpeg

IMG_3029.jpeg

IMG_3032.jpeg

IMG_3033.jpeg

1 hour ago, asquared17 said:

so far we have 1/3 bags. meanwhile, J’s set sail pass isn’t loading and she didn’t print out a copy 🙃

…we are going to get on that ship, but lord if the universe isn’t making us WORK for it this time. 

It has been my experience that:

"The most important things in life are rarely easy"

I put "Vacation ... Relaxing ... Cruising ... Relationship Building" in the important things category (amongst a bunch more).  The more difficult the trials now will result in a better payoff.  Best of luck and make this cruise an extra special one.

Curt from Canada