Family Friendly?

EK Travel

We love RC for our family of 5, 3 children ranging from 9 to 14. We booked a cruise for next year and saw that there will be a very large group on the ship (Oasis) called Atlantis. They specialize in Gay men’s travel. From the pictures, it looks like one huge party!  Has anyone been on a cruise with this group and know if it would be family friendly?

1 hour ago, EK Travel said:

We love RC for our family of 5, 3 children ranging from 9 to 14. We booked a cruise for next year and saw that there will be a very large group on the ship (Oasis) called Atlantis. They specialize in Gay men’s travel. From the pictures, it looks like one huge party!  Has anyone been on a cruise with this group and know if it would be family friendly?

I think it would depend on your definition of family friendly.  I would expect a rowdier group than normal.

I could have sworn I read here they chartered the entire ship. 

This question (by a first time poster) is impossible to answer. Also, it screams let's cause trouble and divisiveness.

I believe you alone can and should make this decision. No good will come from the rest of us chiming in with personal opinions.

I beg everyone to please don't take the candy.

7 hours ago, EK Travel said:

Atlantis fully charters ships so your post is suspect as others have noted.

On the outside chance you're just mistaken and this is a serious question, only you can and should decide what is friendly for your family.

18 minutes ago, EK Travel said:

Sorry, I really was not trying to cause trouble. We booked the cruise and I have searched Facebook to find a group for the cruise and this is what I have found. Oasis, next January. 

If this is the case, you may want to check with RC and make sure the ship isn't chartered and you are going to be asked to change dates. I'm sure they would have reached out but sometimes things get lost in emails

9 hours ago, EK Travel said:

I just checked the website and they have 3 cruises listed, July, August and October. So someone may have wrong info on your facebook group

1 hour ago, ScottD said:

I just checked the website and they have 3 cruises listed, July, August and October. So someone may have wrong info on your facebook group

Agreed, I think check it out and you'll likely see this isn't combined with your cruise.  The answer to your initial question about Family Friendly is still completely up to you.  That's just a personal decision on what you consider friendly for your family.  Come back and let us know what you discover.

Interesting.  I suppose it's possible that they will charter it and notify those already booked.  Seems late in the game for that.

That does look like a fun cruise, love Oasis and you have PDCC and Labadee along with Fallmouth to do the Chukka Horse Swim.  Now I'm jealous and want to go.

13 hours ago, EK Travel said:

One of our first cruises had a similar group booked, but we didn't know it at the time. It was not family friendly at all. I've never seen adults act in the same way in twenty years of cruising. I'm not a prude by any means and I was way past uncomfortable.

4 hours ago, EK Travel said:

This is what I have found on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/857454448689889. And this is the same cruise we are booked on.

I guess I can just call RC  and ask.

I would call. Atlantis typically charters an entire ship and charters can pull the rug out from underneath people who have that cruise booked. But that cruise is still bookable.

15 hours ago, EK Travel said:

If and when the charter contract is finalized, RC will cancel your reservation. Atlantis only allow adults on their charters so you don't have to worry whether it is family friendly.

2 hours ago, Bowen said:

One of our first cruises had a similar group booked, but we didn't know it at the time. It was not family friendly at all. I've never seen adults act in the same way in twenty years of cruising. I'm not a prude by any means and I was way past uncomfortable.

And your reply to this question has now made me feel uncomfortable. 

You never saw adults act that way on any other cruise because none of those were gay cruises. 

No good will come from giving this question answers with personal views.

I will not stand for any group being talked about here in negative terms. 

37 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

And your reply to this question has now made me feel uncomfortable. 

You never saw adults act that way on any other cruise because none of those were gay cruises. 

No good will come from giving this question answers with personal views.

I will not stand for any group being talked about here in negative terms. 

What are you talking about? Are you implying I’m saying they acted differently because of their sexual preference? That’s a you thing, not a me thing.

13 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

No. I'm implying they did act differently because of sexual preference. But you clearly had issue and couldn't handle it.

You’re right, I don’t want to go on a cruise where adults in bondage gear are leading other adults around on leashes. That’s why I replied. I’ve been on one of these cruises accidentally, I had my kids on board with me. It was not family friendly. You do you, I’ll do me.

13 minutes ago, Bowen said:

You’re right, I don’t want to go on a cruise where adults in bondage gear are leading other adults around on leashes. That’s why I replied. I’ve been on one of these cruises accidentally, I had my kids on board with me. It was not family friendly. You do you, I’ll do me.

I'm with you on to each his own. This is America. Thank God all that could happen. 

Maybe we can agree on this.

The original poster asked a question they already knew the answer to. Also, nobody can or should tell someone what's right for their family. It's a gay cruise. But let me ask a bunch of strangers if that's cool for my kids. Yeah, OK. Whatever. I just don't think answering them will help them or this group on a whole. Maybe we can agree on that.

I think the OP was just worried about their cruise and what it was all about.  I thought the same as you initially, but I've come around on the OP and actually would like to hear how it resolves for them and if their cruise actually gets taken by a charter and how Royal accommodates them if so.

13 minutes ago, Xaa said:

I think the OP was just worried about their cruise and what it was all about.  I thought the same as you initially, but I've come around on the OP and actually would like to hear how it resolves for them and if their cruise actually gets taken by a charter and how Royal accommodates them if so.

OK, I'll do innocent till proven guilty. 

I still maintain they knew their own personal answer before asking the question.

And I do stand firm on not telling someone what's right for their family.

I absolutely believe Royal should refund or reschedule anyone from a group trip they are not a part of. 

I wouldn't do any group cruise. Who wants to feel pushed around and out of place. But who needs strangers to tell them that either???

Let's see what happens

If it helps the OP at all I did send an email to Royal after the cruise asking why they hadn’t notified passengers that there was a group cruise booked. They said it wasn’t in their policy to do so. It will be up to the OP to figure out if the group is booked. If it’s not a full cruise booking then RC doesn’t inform you of any other groups booked. I look up my cruise dates now and check to see if there are any bookings for groups of any kind. There are some you’d never expect, like a quilting cruise, dialysis cruise, fitness cruise. Something for everyone.

14 minutes ago, Bowen said:

If it helps the OP at all I did send an email to Royal after the cruise asking why they hadn’t notified passengers that there was a group cruise booked. They said it wasn’t in their policy to do so. It will be up to the OP to figure out if the group is booked. If it’s not a full cruise booking then RC doesn’t inform you of any other groups booked. I look up my cruise dates now and check to see if there are any bookings for groups of any kind. There are some you’d never expect, like a quilting cruise, dialysis cruise, fitness cruise. Something for everyone.

How do you search for groups?

17 hours ago, EK Travel said:

If you still have time, I would move this booking to a good travel agent.  They can ensure you are notified in a timely manner if the full cruise is chartered.  No one wants thier vacation plans changed at the last minute and a good travel agent can assure things go smoothly.  Good luck.  

18 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

How do you search for groups?

You just go to your favorite search engine and type in the name of the ship and the dates. You can also add the terms “group cruise” and you’ll see if anything pops up. You can also go to those pages that pop up and it’ll tell you typically how many rooms they’ve blocked, so you can decide if it’s a small enough group that it won’t change the feel of the cruise, or if it’s very large, in which case the line might actually add or remove onboard activities to suit.

18 hours ago, EK Travel said:

Have you contacted Royal? Planning to stay on board or change dates?