Need some FEEDBACK please

skings8

Hello I will be 80 years young in August. Am trying to complete my Bucket List. Have a problem deciding which transatlantic to board this fall. My family is of no help because they do

not cruise. The problem is as follows Enchantment of the Seas or Symphony of the Seas. I will be combining a med 7 day with either of these cruise so all in about 24 days with hotels on each end of flight to Europe. Have been on Enchantment and for the money this is the cheapest but I am afraid I will get board with the ship with the limited dining venues and entertainment. I use a walker so visiting ports is not a consideration since I do not book in advance as I never know how I will feel day to day. The difference in price is about $1000, Central Park Balcony) which could be used on a MSC med cruise. I am not poor but do have a budget. Have never been on Symphony but on Oasis and Allure, love the choices of free dining and people watching. My budget says Enchantment (oceanview) but at my age I think Symphony because this might be my last trip to Europe. Suggestions or feedback I am Platinum and either of these trips will make me Diamond since I cruise solo.

Tough call: what your heart wants vs what your brain knows is best.

It sounds to me that while Enchantment will be a better value, you'll regret not going on Symphony and/or constantly think what could have been (aka regret).

If Symphony wont break your finances, I'd say go for Symphony and do the ship you would greatly prefer to sail on. But don't ruin your financial situation over it.

in my heart, i feel like symphony is the way to go.

but this is easy for me to say, as an outside observer, with no insight into your finances and other decision making factors.

enchantment may be overall easier to navigate due to the drastic reduction in passengers compared to symphony -- but won't perhaps provide the variety of people watching, dining and general things to do.

is there a different cabin category you can select that would reduce the price on symphony to make it a little more palatable for your budget? (you may have already looked into this) or perhaps a travel agent that can get you a better rate/rate with some perks? i've found the best deals working with travel agents this way and they always seem to have more options/perks for the oasis class ships.

either way, it sounds like you will have a wonderful time and i hope your travels are spectacular!! 💚

1 hour ago, skings8 said:

Hello I will be 80 years young in August. Am trying to complete my Bucket List. Have a problem deciding which transatlantic to board this fall. My family is of no help because they do

not cruise. The problem is as follows Enchantment of the Seas or Symphony of the Seas. I will be combining a med 7 day with either of these cruise so all in about 24 days with hotels on each end of flight to Europe. Have been on Enchantment and for the money this is the cheapest but I am afraid I will get board with the ship with the limited dining venues and entertainment. I use a walker so visiting ports is not a consideration since I do not book in advance as I never know how I will feel day to day. The difference in price is about $1000, Central Park Balcony) which could be used on a MSC med cruise. I am not poor but do have a budget. Have never been on Symphony but on Oasis and Allure, love the choices of free dining and people watching. My budget says Enchantment (oceanview) but at my age I think Symphony because this might be my last trip to Europe. Suggestions or feedback I am Platinum and either of these trips will make me Diamond since I cruise solo.

Symphony. 100% 

I am a fan of the smaller vessels, and larger one require a lot of walking to get from point A to point B.  Thus, if mobility is a factor, I'd favor the Enchantment of the Seas.  However, I have never sailed transatlantic, and there is a question of which vessel handles rougher waters more efficently/gracefully.  If money and walking are restrictions, the Symphony would be my choice for overall safety and dining/entertainment options.

I feel Symphony is the cruise to choose.  As @ChessE4 noted the larger vessels likely handle the rougher waters more easily and with this being a Transatlantic you just might sail into a few areas of active seas!  Also more variety on a larger ship will help keep you less bored!

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy your long awaited bucket list vacation!  I hope when I hit 80 (13 years to go!) I am still able to pursue any left over Bucket List items! 

I’d vote for Symphony due to the likelihood of a better sailing across the Atlantic and the ability to people watch, enjoy the outside in Central Park and all the rest Symphony would have to offer.  
that said there would be a lot more walking so I’d try to pick a cabin carefully and I will say my choice  would be anything closer to aft as that’s where windjammer and the main dining room are located off the aft elevators, which is likely where you’ll eat 3 of your meals.
You could also take an elevator down to 8 and stroll through the park to go to the forward elevators for  the shows.

also, maybe consider an electric scooter for the ship So you could do less walking. 

16 hours ago, skings8 said:

Symphony for sure.  I do transatlantic every year and always go for the newer larger ships.  Way more to do, more dining options., etc.   I really enjoy the central park balconies too.   Personally I would not even consider Enchantment for a transatlantic cruise.

Happy birthday in advance! …and my sympathies on having ‘non-cruisers’ in your family.😂

I agree with the majority of comments…bucket list + not wanting to be bored + people watching + no regrets = Symphony!

Lots to do should you decide staying aboard most of the time is your best option. More entertainment, dining choices…lots more people to be watching!

I’d also say in my opinion, after the shutdown…I realize that things can change at any time so I want to make sure I don’t miss out. Do what makes you happy! Happy cruising!

I will say that for a trans Atlantic, an ocean view balcony, does not have a great deal of return value, at least for me. The view is pretty much the same 7/24. Ocean, horizon, sky. You mentioned people watching so I think I would go Symphony and pick either a Central Park or Boardwalk balcony. They are bit cheaper than ocean view balconies. Central Park view would be more relaxing where Boardwalk will probably have more activity. The larger ship will definitely have more variety.

So, my choice for you would be interior balcony and close to the elevators, maybe near the centrum. I say the centrum because there is almost always live entertainment and you have the choice of several decks you can sit, listen, people watch etc for those times you do not feel like hiking all over the ship.

Also, on the open ocean, the bigger the ship, the better. Its not like near shore cruises like the Med or Caribbean where for the most most part waves are 6-10 feet and a large ship barely feels them. In the open ocean you can have smooth days and rocky days and bigger is better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update you on my ship. I realized that I would be Emerald with Crown and Anchor after my 10 day Vision of the Seas cruise in May. So when I did a dummy booking using my Crown and Anchor number received $200 for Central Park Balcony. That was the deal breaker clicked on placed my deposit. So thank you all for you help.