Corkage Fees?

stevendom57

48 minutes ago, TXcruzer said:

I do th esame, but it is prudent to note, a corkage fee has nothing to do with the actual process of opening the bottle.

Yep, just like on land a corkage fee is only applicable if you take the bottle to a restaurant or other venue that servers drinks to make up for the lost revenue of not purchasing a drink there.  A corkage fee doesn't apply to in cabin usage.

we bring a champagne stopper for this reason, fill up our flutes (with one of the two bottles) before we leave the room, and have never been charged. sometimes our travel agent will also throw in a bottle. on our last cruise, we had a total of 4 in our room at one point 🤣

we particularly like to have champagne for sailaway.

honestly the hardest part is often getting a big enough bucket and then hiding it afterwards so they don't take it away and we can fill it with ice ourselves on the other days.

0C1B5893-CB5F-46CE-AAC4-C65DE64C0046.thumb.jpeg.4a504acd92e0705c38794d585c067353.jpeg

4 hours ago, TXcruzer said:

We take a bottle to dinner almost every night; I have never been charged a corkage fee.  Sometimes I am asked if I am aware of the fee, but have never actually been charged.

I bring 2 bottles on every cruise and always bring them to dinner.  The waiter/assistant opens and serves it and I have never been charged a fee.  I am very aware of the fee and would pay if asked.

We brought bottles on our last cruise.  I asked the room steward for a corkscrew as I forgot to pack one.  I opened the bottle in the room, Mrs Fan had a glass while getting ready, then carried the opened bottle to dinner. Asked them to keep the bottle for next night and they did. No corkage fee and no one batted an eye on me bringing in an open bottle (with the cork stopper in the bottle)

3 hours ago, FSUFAN said:

We brought bottles on our last cruise.  I asked the room steward for a corkscrew as I forgot to pack one.  I opened the bottle in the room, Mrs Fan had a glass while getting ready, then carried the opened bottle to dinner. Asked them to keep the bottle for next night and they did. No corkage fee and no one batted an eye on me bringing in an open bottle (with the cork stopper in the bottle)

Wow!! a bottle lasts you for 2 nights? My liver aches for you...lol

On 12/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

Wow!! a bottle lasts you for 2 nights? My liver aches for you...lol

It lasts that long for Mrs Fan. Keeps us from buying the DBP. I could cover the cost but she wouldn't come close. I get a double bourbon on the rocks with dinner. She might get a mimosa for breakfast while I get a bloody mary. 

Just another confirmation. No corkage fees mentioned across 4 nights of bringing unopened bottles on Allure this week. (4 bottles because of 2 cabins)

I think there's such a focus on your head waiter getting a perfect score on the review, that they don't mess with it. We plan to tip extra for their bottle service. (But not because of their lost revenue -- that's their own business problem to resolve.

36 minutes ago, mac66 said:

How would the ship personnel know if the wine bottle you have wasn't given to you by your TA (i.e bought through the ship) or a gift/prize of the ship? Answer: They wouldn't.

We brought two bottles of wine one time and there were two more (gift) bottles in our cabin.

I haven't seen it in a few years but at one time my CAS wines had a sticker on them indicating they were from the ship.