Masks???

Returned Saturday from Europe. We and a few others wore masks, especially on buses. Most didn't, even when required locally. Seatbelts mandatory on bus, but not enforced. A few crew members wore masks, but most didn't. I got sick when I arrived home but am negative for covid. Wife is fine. Bottom line--most have given up precautions, so I expect a bad winter.  PS. Positive 2 days later.

We sailed on the Voyager OTS the last week of October.  Mrs Fan and I wore a mask pretty much anytime we were moving around the ship.  But I would say the percentage of people using masks was <5%.  Once we sat down at a table, or if we were sitting in a corner of a bar, the masks came off. 

I caught a raging head cold somewhere between the last day or two on the ship or on the flight home (figuring 2-3 days of incubation).  Not Covid (tested negative twice). 

I'll keep wearing my mask when in crowds or shopping around town. My choice. Also, we are vaxed and triple boosted with the latest variant.

The Flu is raging here in Middle Tennessee. So much so that they shut down the county schools for two days last week. A couple of neighboring counties are shutting down for a few days this coming week. 

3 hours ago, Swar said:

All the sudden the flu is back - wonder where it went the last two years. lol  Wear a mask if you want to, don't wear a mask if you want to: 'Merica, Europe, and the World (except for Singapore and China). I think the winter in Florida is going to be INCREDIBLE. 

I was speaking to a business owner about 6 months ago with some idle chit chat. He said the greatest gift that COVID ever gave us is that it seems to have completely eliminated the flu. In 2 years not one employee called out sick for they day with the flu, they all called out with COVID for the week! 😂🤣

we tend to mask in densely populated indoor areas; we are planning to mask when traveling through corridors, elevators and the promenade. outside/fresh air, we're good with masks off -- and of course in no way would we insist on others around us to wear masks. it's just an added layer of protection for us since we have immuno-compromised members of our families.

having said that, we also recognize that we are in the minority. it will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of weeks/months, as this is typically always the worst time of year for upper-respiratory stuff anyway, given flu season, the mass traveling, holiday/indoor events etc.

pre-pandemic, i worked retail for many years and holiday season was always a free for all with both staff and customers' health. we often had customers coming in, visibly ill -- i'm talking aggressive coughing, runny noses, clearly needing some rest/recuperation and insisting that they were fine and it was just "allergies." they felt the pressure was on to get holiday shopping done and had limited timing because of other priorities. the rest of us used our hand sanitizer a bit more aggressively after those folks, and made sure to clorox bleach everything at the cashwrap.

certainly not pinning it all on them (we had just as many on our staff who would do the same thing) but at least here in the northeast, our winter/holiday season was often a challenge for this reason, and the rapidly changing temps didn't help either.

during covid though (or at least winter 2020), it was shocking how few people got sick or seemed to pass around those germs... but we were all masked by then, so the majority of it was somewhat contained -- or at least, seemed that way 😅😂

We may be a little over the top, but years ago, the big deal on cruise ships was Norovirus (and it still flares up). We still (and did) bring Lysol/Clorox wipes and the first thing we do in our rooms is to wipe down all knobs, switches, drawer pulls, tv remote, balcony chairs and railing, bathroom faucet, you name it. If a hand would have potentially touched it, it gets wiped. Takes just a few minutes. 

5 hours ago, Boba Milk Tea said:

Are masks available to use for free or we have to bring our own on the ships?

Since the restart I’ve had 2 masks in my cabin. Individually wrapped surgical style, white with the RCL logo.  I’ve yet to use them.  I do throw them in my car as a spare for things like the Dr or Dentist who still want masks.

I’ve heard Royals mask are “scratchy”, though I’ve no idea if that’s true.  Royal has also supplied a free small hand sanitizer in the cabin since the restart.  
I don’t know how much longer they’ll be doing this though 

20 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Do the cruise terminals require them?  Like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.   

...in florida? 🤣 pretty sure it's been mask free/at your choice for a long time down there.

we flew out of florida earlier in the sping (before the rules were relaxed on planes) and there were very few masks to be seen in the airport terminal. i imagine its probably the same for the ports.

22 minutes ago, TravisMA81 said:

Do the cruise terminals require them?  Like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.   

Ports are generally under federal control so while there was a general order requiring masks on public transportation and related infrastructure that policy has been removed for several months now just as federal policy on masks on planes and trains has been removed.  

17 hours ago, asquared17 said:

love this and fully agree. also we are those people clorox wiping down the seats on the plane 🤣

I've been doing this for years on flights. I seem to catch something every time I fly so I deal with the smirks and stares. I'll offer a wipe to those who make a comment. most people will take one. I've had a few people yell at their spouses for saying it's silly. Nothing sucks more than being on day 2 or 3 of a trip and coming down with a cold or sinus infection.

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I've been doing this for years on flights. I seem to catch something every time I fly so I deal with the smirks and stares. I'll offer a wipe to those who make a comment. most people will take one. I've had a few people yell at their spouses for saying it's silly. Nothing sucks more than being on day 2 or 3 of a trip and coming down with a cold or sinus infection.

I don’t know why people feel the need to comment.  I’m a people watcher, I’ve seen enough nose pickers and worse to realize wiping down public transportation is the way to go. 

On 11/7/2022 at 5:15 AM, smokeybandit said:

THe LA cruise terminal required masks in July. It was funny since that was the only venue that tried to enforce the various mask mandates LA had at the time.  Put a mask on for about 3 minutes, then take it right off again.

LA's requirement came from county mandates for all transit hubs, but they dropped that at the beginning of October. But even then, as soon as you got outside the building to walk to the gangway, they almost all came off. (Don't know if it was from mask mandate being dropped in LA, but now there's facial recognition for CBP clearance too so that makes things great for that!)