monctonguy

Another "included" perk being removed......

So full charge for room service for anything but breakfast.

And doubling the cost of it as well.

Anyone else hear about this and happy about it?!....

Is it just me or is Royal really going down a path to differentiate  themselves from the other cruise lines....for what I would consider all the wrong reasons??!

While I wouldn't expect passengers to have the warm and fuzzies about this, it isn't out of line with the industry.  Carnival has some complimentary items, but many things come with a charge.  NCL does something similar, though I beleive there is a "delivery charge" for all items (don't quote me on that).  Up to this point, hot breakfast items being complimentary was a real outlier, even some premium lines restrict hot breakfast room service to suite/concierge guests.

What remains to be seen is if this practice will increase the speed of delivery or quality of the food - both of which seem poor on many cruise lines.

I would be lying if I said I didn't think this was a money grab.  I have been loyal to Royal Caribbean since the very start, never wanting or needing to cruise with another line.   I know the argument can be made that it is simple to walk to *insert dining venue here* and get your breakfast and take it back to your room.   That's not the point, the point is there is a perceived value in cruising, and by slowly eliminating all of these values, aren't they becoming less of a value and more of an expense?   I fully understand the bottom dollar, and I can appreciate all of the suite benefits, and specialized offerings Royal offers.  But to me, this feels like just one more thing that now has an additional fee outside of my cruise fare, and when will it stop?  

To roll this out in 12 days seems very ill-timed at best.  I sail on Allure in 45 days and I have the 12 night Anthem scheduled for December for my annual Christmas vacation.  I love Royal Caribbean but the disappointment is very real for me as a consumer who gets to choose where his discretionary dollars are spent.   I think it's time I start exploring what the other lines do and do no offer, and what their value is.  

I ordered room service once. That was all I needed to know that I wasn't going to do it again. There needs to be a huge quality improvement for people to use the service, I think. 

I wish this was designated for staff, because they will be the ones who lose additional tips.

I ordered room service once. That was all I needed to know that I wasn't going to do it again. There needs to be a huge quality improvement for people to use the service, I think. 

I wish this was designated for staff, because they will be the ones who lose additional tips.

From what I've read, at least about hot breakfast, people aren't really missing much. I think at least keeping the complimentary continental breakfast is a good move. In the end, if somebody really wants room service they will pay for it. I think a lot of people just order it for the novelty of it and maybe that staff will be better used elsewhere?

I wouldn't  mind as much a 2 tired menu then...some complimentary and others that you pay for sure...

But now NO options....

Maybe include "snacks" and such and charge for meals? Continental breakfast is for me, a snack not a meal. Maybe that explains my waistline! :P 

Oh.....and maybe this is to hide the fact the gratuities are going up as well....seems to be lost in the uproar about the room service.....smart on their part I guess but just another negative mark on RCI as far as I am concerned.

Disappointed with this news to say the least.

How does this compare to other cruise lines? Is RCCL just playing catch up? It's hard to be a leader when you seem to be following.

Ordered room service breakfast once and never again. Showed up 1 1/2 hours after the requested time (we had given up waiting, gone to and gotten back from the WJ) and I sent it back. No tip, no nothing. Another indication of the continuing, ongoing deterioration of RCL's quality and commitment to customer service

How does this compare to other cruise lines? Is RCCL just playing catch up? It's hard to be a leader when you seem to be following.

RC was the hold out.  Other main stream lines have had something like this in place for years.

I wouldn't  mind as much a 2 tired menu then...some complimentary and others that you pay for sure...

But now NO options....

Not entirely true. There is a continental breakfast option that is entirely complimentary. Also, suite guests do not incur this charge at all.

Oh.....and maybe this is to hide the fact the gratuities are going up as well....seems to be lost in the uproar about the room service.....smart on their part I guess but just another negative mark on RCI as far as I am concerned.

Gratuities go up annually and are independent of this change. Not sure about you, but I welcome my annual pay increase at my job.  

If I can play devil's advocate for a moment, aren't you usually the guy on here lamenting any change that increases cruise fare? Would you prefer that RC increase the cruise fare and keep room service complimentary?

Personally, I don't love the change by any means but I barely ever order anything from it.  I think most people rarely, if ever, order from it too. It's certainly nice to have, but now it makes my decision all the easier to skip it.  

In 39 nights at sea iv only ordered room service once. Because I stay in inside rooms and would rather eat at a table it's not really my thing.

But I'm still disappointed, that was a nice perk, I used to bring it up when trying to sell people on cruises.

I'm sure it was allot of work and not cost effective but it was a feature, and a good one.

I'm not happy about this and have said it elsewhere even though I haven't used room service in quite some time. While I recognize that Carnival and NCL have done this for quite some time, they're also less expensive cruise lines.

In 39 nights at sea iv only ordered room service once. Because I stay in inside rooms and would rather eat at a table it's not really my thing.

But I'm still disappointed, that was a nice perk, I used to bring it up when trying to sell people on cruises.

I'm sure it was allot of work and not cost effective but it was a feature, and a good one.

I think your experience sums up what a vast majority of cruisers have done too. Room service was something that they used sparingly, but it was nice to know it was there.

Of course, if you feel strongly about the change, let RC know.  Dynamic Dining was canceled based on guest feedback, room service policies can garner a change too.

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. Even those that never used it or ever planned to use it. Just the idea of "losing" something that they had for free, is upsetting. I think this brings up the general question, should they make everything included and charge more for the cruise, or charge less in general and make more things a la cart?

I think the fact that they are now charging for something that was "free" has people upset. 

I like to think of it as losing something they were already paying for...

Still, I prefer this to the effect of higher fares.

You'll find me in the MDR and sometimes the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch...and hopefully at a cookout on the pool deck...with an ice cold beer. And not to forget a mimosa or bloody mary with breakfast.

So full charge for room service for anything but breakfast.

And doubling the cost of it as well.

Anyone else hear about this and happy about it?!....

Is it just me or is Royal really going down a path to differentiate  themselves from the other cruise lines....for what I would consider all the wrong reasons??!

I'm just curious, how often have you used room service and what's your honest opinion about it? Or is it just the principle of the matter?

Dining in the cabin is not always optional, as when there is an outbreak of illness and some passengers must remain in their cabins per direction of the ship's physician. I wonder if these passengers would receive a fee waiver?

Also, is the customary 18% gratuity added to the $7.95?

Still, I prefer this to the effect of higher fares.

In essence, this is a fare increase for those that utilize the service. They're now paying for something that was previously included in the fare. The same has happened in the past, too. Soda used to be complimentary in the dining room, Johnny Rockets was once complimentary, room service was once 24 hours a day without charge, etc.

In essence, this is a fare increase for those that utilize the service. They're now paying for something that was previously included in the fare. The same has happened in the past, too. Soda used to be complimentary in the dining room, Johnny Rockets was once complimentary, room service was once 24 hours a day without charge, etc.

And gas used to be a $1 a gallon!