Jump to content

Not another solo cruise! Oasis, September 25 - October 2nd 2022 Bahamas


ellcee
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm finally starting to feel the excitement of a booked cruise after 3 canceled solo trips! The first two were canceled by Royal in 2020 and then this past January I chickened out and canceled my upcoming March cruise. I just wasn't ready. Was talking to a work friend one day and saying I had all of these FCC's I needed to use but the thought of cruising solo after basically being alone for two years did not interest me at all. She said she was interested and we booked. This isn't necessarily my dream itinerary but when we booked in March flying didn't sound so good and neither wanted the extra expense of hotels and flights. Luckily it's Oasis so there is plenty to see and do.

 

The Ship - Oasis, first time on this ship for me!!! Out of NJ, about an hour and change from my Long Island home. I love the idea of getting in my car after the cruise, even better it's a Sunday, traffic wise. 

The Where - Orlando, Nassau and CocoCay. 

The Who - 2 ladies above 40, that's all y'all need to know. 

Staterooms - We have 2 balcony staterooms on the 12th floor. I don't think I've been that high in a while. Solo rooms tend to be lower but no solo room for me this time. I love this friend but not enough to share a room and thank goodness she's on the same page.

Drink Package for both of us - I have dreams of making this package work for me and 100% forget that even in college and part of the pandemic learning to make fun cocktails I have a low tolerance. Wish me luck. Ordered water for the room because I had extra OBC. I drink a lot of water anyway.

3 Night Dining Package - I had a ton of OBC so I got this for both of us. I'm a little picky. I don't hate the MDR but can't do it every night, I've done Unlimited Dining but that's also too much food wise. 

Excursions - Orlando, not getting off the ship. I don't see a purpose and we have a perfectly good ship to run around or relax on.

Nassau - forgot the exact name but the VIP Cabana for 2. Unlimited drinks and plenty of food. Gonna have to run to guest services Day 1 because it won't let me add my friend's name and when I bought it said "for 2" - now the price is double. Worst case scenario I'll buy it for her without telling her. This is something I wanted to do so it's not her fault if I messed it up.

CocoCay- we did the beach club. From what I hear we'll be able to find loungers with little issue. She's looking forward to the food. I just want to be served and be lazy. Maybe I'll paddle board if I can find it, maybe I won't leave the lounger, we'll all find out that day.

Randoms - I booked 2 days for casitas. I hear mixed reviews but yet again, I had extra OBC and if it means not having to be mad at seat savers well then it's worth it to me. Booked a massage for myself because, duh, vacation.

 

It's helped to read all your blogs and how you've all fared - whether covid wasn't a big deal to you or not. Thanks for sharing (and if you made it this far, thanks for reading!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

Out of NJ, about an hour and change from my Long Island home. I love the idea of getting in my car after the cruise, even better it's a Sunday, traffic wise. 

That sounds lovely! I was just saying to Hubby how nice it would be to be able to just drive to a port and be home relatively quickly after a cruise. Looking forward to following along and so happy that you are getting back to sailing! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally exciting!  The wife and I are on her for the cruise leaving Sept. 11th, so let me know if you have any questions!  This will be our first cruise back since the pandemic, so we're totally looking forward to it!  

For excursions, we have the shuttle to Disney (just a quick jaunt to Disney springs for some shopping/food), and we've also booked the beach club, so I'm excited to see how that is - the last time we were at Coco Cay, it was all still under construction.  Nothing crazy in Nassau - I might head to Pirate Republic Brewing... we shall see.

I'm sure I'll enjoy reading your blog since I'll be in the post cruise blues phase at that time 😛

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2022 at 8:08 AM, firebuck said:

  Nothing crazy in Nassau - I might head to Pirate Republic Brewing... we shall see.

 

Have you been before?  Is it walking distance?  I don’t think we are getting off the boat in Nassau but if we are, it might be fun to hit a couple breweries!  Jane

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/31/2022 at 4:57 PM, ellcee said:

The Ship - Oasis, first time on this ship for me!!! Out of NJ, about an hour and change from my Long Island home. I love the idea of getting in my car after the cruise, even better it's a Sunday, traffic wise. 

Oh we know exactly how you feel! Love sailing out of Cape Liberty as we too are on Long Island (located not too far from MacArthur Airport in Holbrook).

October was the first time we sailed on Oasis (Cape Liberty) and we both absolutely loved it!

Have an amazing time! 😎

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2022 at 10:41 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Have you been before?  Is it walking distance?  I don’t think we are getting off the boat in Nassau but if we are, it might be fun to hit a couple breweries!  Jane

Yep!  as Ashley said, it's easily walkable.  It's been a few years since I've been to Nassau, and that's the only brewery I'm aware of, but they could have more by now... not sure. Pirate Republic is kind of smallish, but they do have good brews - I had a coconut porter that was fantastic.

 

*Edit It looks like there's another one about a 16 minute walk down the street from Pirate Republic https://www.riptyd.com/ - looks worth checking out too!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/17/2022 at 10:56 PM, JohnK6404 said:

Oh we know exactly how you feel! Love sailing out of Cape Liberty as we too are on Long Island (located not too far from MacArthur Airport in Holbrook).

October was the first time we sailed on Oasis (Cape Liberty) and we both absolutely loved it!

Have an amazing time! 😎

I’m on Fire Island right now on a family trip and it’s great but can’t wait to be relaxing on crystal clear water. I’ll be thrilled to not have to cook and clean for a week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2022 at 4:57 PM, ellcee said:

I'm finally starting to feel the excitement of a booked cruise after 3 canceled solo trips! The first two were canceled by Royal in 2020 and then this past January I chickened out and canceled my upcoming March cruise. I just wasn't ready. Was talking to a work friend one day and saying I had all of these FCC's I needed to use but the thought of cruising solo after basically being alone for two years did not interest me at all. She said she was interested and we booked. This isn't necessarily my dream itinerary but when we booked in March flying didn't sound so good and neither wanted the extra expense of hotels and flights. Luckily it's Oasis so there is plenty to see and do.

 

The Ship - Oasis, first time on this ship for me!!! Out of NJ, about an hour and change from my Long Island home. I love the idea of getting in my car after the cruise, even better it's a Sunday, traffic wise. 

The Where - Orlando, Nassau and CocoCay. 

The Who - 2 ladies above 40, that's all y'all need to know. 

Staterooms - We have 2 balcony staterooms on the 12th floor. I don't think I've been that high in a while. Solo rooms tend to be lower but no solo room for me this time. I love this friend but not enough to share a room and thank goodness she's on the same page.

Drink Package for both of us - I have dreams of making this package work for me and 100% forget that even in college and part of the pandemic learning to make fun cocktails I have a low tolerance. Wish me luck. Ordered water for the room because I had extra OBC. I drink a lot of water anyway.

3 Night Dining Package - I had a ton of OBC so I got this for both of us. I'm a little picky. I don't hate the MDR but can't do it every night, I've done Unlimited Dining but that's also too much food wise. 

Excursions - Orlando, not getting off the ship. I don't see a purpose and we have a perfectly good ship to run around or relax on.

Nassau - forgot the exact name but the VIP Cabana for 2. Unlimited drinks and plenty of food. Gonna have to run to guest services Day 1 because it won't let me add my friend's name and when I bought it said "for 2" - now the price is double. Worst case scenario I'll buy it for her without telling her. This is something I wanted to do so it's not her fault if I messed it up.

CocoCay- we did the beach club. From what I hear we'll be able to find loungers with little issue. She's looking forward to the food. I just want to be served and be lazy. Maybe I'll paddle board if I can find it, maybe I won't leave the lounger, we'll all find out that day.

Randoms - I booked 2 days for casitas. I hear mixed reviews but yet again, I had extra OBC and if it means not having to be mad at seat savers well then it's worth it to me. Booked a massage for myself because, duh, vacation.

 

It's helped to read all your blogs and how you've all fared - whether covid wasn't a big deal to you or not. Thanks for sharing (and if you made it this far, thanks for reading!)

 

Hey Long Island!! Me too!  

I also travel solo.  Have an awesome time!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

One week!

Finally saw my coworker/friend who's joining me. We've done video calls throughout but I haven't seen her in person since pre pandemic - even though we've been back to the office since October. Ooops. Great to see her in person - neither of us are huggers but couldn't help it. Very few coworkers become true friends, at least for me. 

I forgot how much fun a cruise when you're seeing it through someone else's eyes. Her excitement is contagious. I originally wasn't thrilled with the itinerary (still not my fav) but she's got me looking forward to actually doing things on the ship. Once we make the dinner rez I'm pretty much open to whatever as long as I have time to just chill and read a book. I do all the planning pre cruise so I can go with the flow during the cruise.

This week I'll be trying to pack when I can, it's a busy week already and I have a few tasks before the weekend besides actually working. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ellcee said:

One week!

Finally saw my coworker/friend who's joining me. We've done video calls throughout but I haven't seen her in person since pre pandemic - even though we've been back to the office since October. Ooops. Great to see her in person - neither of us are huggers but couldn't help it. Very few coworkers become true friends, at least for me. 

I forgot how much fun a cruise when you're seeing it through someone else's eyes. Her excitement is contagious. I originally wasn't thrilled with the itinerary (still not my fav) but she's got me looking forward to actually doing things on the ship. Once we make the dinner rez I'm pretty much open to whatever as long as I have time to just chill and read a book. I do all the planning pre cruise so I can go with the flow during the cruise.

This week I'll be trying to pack when I can, it's a busy week already and I have a few tasks before the weekend besides actually working. 

 

 

Yay! get excited!  

I always get that excited feeling in between cruises. I'm a month away from my next and I'm antsy already!!  

Can't wait to see your live blog when onboard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know this isn't normal for a cruise blog but I'm going to list the books I'm bringing. Reading is a huge part of my day whether it's for my 2 hour a day commute or relaxing any day of the week. I typically read about 2-4 books a week depending on the book length. I "save" certain books for vacation reading. I suspect I'm going to be busy a lot of the time but this is mostly a sea day trip with only 2 port stops. RC's tv situation is lacking (I KNOW but I work in tv...tv's sorta my thing and always on at home) so I will likely read in the morning before I get out of bed, on the beach, at the casita and before bed. I'm known to say goodnight and read for another 2 hours. 

 

Fairy Tale - Stephen King. This just came out and my fav author since I was 13. Preordered to my Kindle Oasis.

The Temple House Vanishing - Rachel Donohue. Got a bunch of books for Christmas. Physical books are rare for me because of the cost. I've been saving the few I got for special occasions.

All the Devils are Here - Louise Penny. First physical book I've bought for myself in years. I love this series.

 

This is how I relax.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, ellcee said:

I know this isn't normal for a cruise blog but I'm going to list the books I'm bringing. Reading is a huge part of my day whether it's for my 2 hour a day commute or relaxing any day of the week. I typically read about 2-4 books a week depending on the book length. I "save" certain books for vacation reading. I suspect I'm going to be busy a lot of the time but this is mostly a sea day trip with only 2 port stops. RC's tv situation is lacking (I KNOW but I work in tv...tv's sorta my thing and always on at home) so I will likely read in the morning before I get out of bed, on the beach, at the casita and before bed. I'm known to say goodnight and read for another 2 hours. 

 

Fairy Tale - Stephen King. This just came out and my fav author since I was 13. Preordered to my Kindle Oasis.

The Temple House Vanishing - Rachel Donohue. Got a bunch of books for Christmas. Physical books are rare for me because of the cost. I've been saving the few I got for special occasions.

All the Devils are Here - Louise Penny. First physical book I've bought for myself in years. I love this series.

 

This is how I relax.

Whoo! just about a week left until you sail.

Thanks for posting, I will look some of these up. I heard Fairy Tale was good, it is also on my read list. I am an on/off reader with Stephen King and his son, they can get a little wordy and drag on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

I know this isn't normal for a cruise blog but I'm going to list the books I'm bringing. Reading is a huge part of my day whether it's for my 2 hour a day commute or relaxing any day of the week. I typically read about 2-4 books a week depending on the book length. I "save" certain books for vacation reading. I suspect I'm going to be busy a lot of the time but this is mostly a sea day trip with only 2 port stops. RC's tv situation is lacking (I KNOW but I work in tv...tv's sorta my thing and always on at home) so I will likely read in the morning before I get out of bed, on the beach, at the casita and before bed. I'm known to say goodnight and read for another 2 hours. 

 

Fairy Tale - Stephen King. This just came out and my fav author since I was 13. Preordered to my Kindle Oasis.

The Temple House Vanishing - Rachel Donohue. Got a bunch of books for Christmas. Physical books are rare for me because of the cost. I've been saving the few I got for special occasions.

All the Devils are Here - Louise Penny. First physical book I've bought for myself in years. I love this series.

 

This is how I relax.

Thank you for reading. I take 3-4 books with me. My TV is off at home. I love reading.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ONE MORE SLEEP!

 

Fellow cruisers are losing their minds about the storms. I'm very aware of the weather on a daily basis and have lived through hurricanes...I get it. I knew when I booked a cruise during hurricane season this was a possibility. I don't freak out about these type of things, just get me on the ship. My only meh, which seems like it couldn't happen anyway is if they went north instead. No offense to Canada, I love Canada and went to school right near the NY/Can border. It's just not a cruise destination to me. I've also lived through many storms that DIDNT happen. Last year we were evacuated from Fire Island (small island off of Long Island) back home. We had some wind and rain. Nothing too crazy. We were evacuated and nothing happened. (for the record, we all knew the deal and while disappointed we know this is life)

 

Finished up the last of my work for the week and did most of the packing last night. I overpacked. Nothing new. Today is packing for the pup who knows something's up and is more clingy than usual which is saying A LOT since she's stage 5 clingy on an average day. She stays with a close friend who spoils her more than I do. When she's there she's carried, hand fed people food (hate this - she loves fries because of this family and cries if i ever have them in the house) and sleeps on their pillows at night.

 

Traveling with a friend from work and we've been hit a little. Two coworkers died this week. One always had health issues, the other a late cancer diagnosis, completely unexpected but both way before their time. My friend was very close to one and I had known the other since high school. It's a teeny tiny world - the one I grew up with is related to my traveling friend's boss, who was also mourning the loss of the other co worker who passed. If I made it confusing the world is small and there are more connections then just work connections. We'll be missing all services so we figured we'd do something from the ship. I'm not looking for condolences, I knew both but wasn't close to either, I'm just sad for both, especially since I know some of the families. It's bad enough to lose a loved one, it's horrible to lose them before their time.

 

Tomorrow is the drive. I'll leave about an hour an a half early. Some people have gotten emails about us all being on board by 2:30 for "marine traffic".  I don't care. I'll be there. I did all my planning so the rest is out of my hands.

 

Got the Key a few weeks ago because it was less than VOOM. $16 or $17. Can't remember what I paid because the price went up each hour that day. It'll be worth it no matter what because of the price but we'll see if it's something I'd purchase in the future. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ellcee said:

Check in was an orderly mess. There was order but holy crap was it messy. Computers were down so Key was not helpful. I made it on the ship for muster and welcome lunch so it’s all good. Prosecco was the first of the drinks. The ship is crowded. 

Glad you got on board! When was your check-in time, if you don't mind me asking? How long did it take you to get from "Car to bar"?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check in time was 11. Pulled up around 1040, took 20 minutes to park and get in. Another 30 to check in and make it on the ship. 
 

Honestly, not awful. Just so many people at once. They moved up last check in to 2:30 so I’m assuming this is why. I’ve left from Bayonne before without this issue. I’m on a cruise so it’s all okay, just maybe a little stressful for the first hour 
 

No cruise compass copies - all through app. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning from I don’t know where. I’m so happy I have a balcony, I woke up and got a latte at Cafe Promenade and watched the sun rise. A little cool at the moment but just slightly. 
 

Oasis is in great shape. A little wear and tear in the furniture but overall great room. Haven’t tried the chairs yet but I’m not a crowded pool person so not important yet. 
 

I learned my friend can drink. I cannot keep up nor would I try but let’s say what’s ever I paid for drink package was worth it yesterday. Oof. 
 

MDR dinner. No complaints. My friend didn’t love her fried chicken but said it was fine. I got the battered seafood and I liked it. Service was good, loved our server. called it an early night and read in my room til sleep. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a great sea day. Park Ave salad and hot dog place for lunch. I suggest the German hotdog, my friend wasn’t loving the regular one but I was happy. 
 

Dinner was Giovanni’s. Friend didn’t realize what pork belly was so was surprised when it came out. 🤣. Besides that we were happy with our meals. Our waiter even found us limoncello to end the meal. He was a doll and that little touch was appreciated. He got a good tip. 
 

I’ve learned I can’t blame waking up early on my dog. Today it was 5:30. I gave up at 6 and got myself a coffee to watch the sunrise and read. Both mornings I’ve been doing a little jogging. Testing a knee injury from February. My friend and I are meet up mid morning. I’m quiet in the morning and she’s raring to go so we do our own thing in the mornings. 


Today is the casita. We’re stopping in Orlando.  Made it til just now and rain. Not too worried. Hoping it’s a passing storm but you never know. 
 

we keep missing any shows because we’re exhausted by 10 and like later dinners. No complaints at all though, we both seem to be content. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Casita was great, even in extreme wind and a little rain. 
 

MDR is the MDR. I’ve actually enjoyed the few meals we’ve had and the service is great. 
 

CocoCay was fantastic, not worth the price we paid for the beach club but absolutely no complaints. Lunch was fantastic and the service was also fantastic. There was only our ship so we really could’ve gone anywhere but now I know.  


Today is Nassau and after 20 minutes we finally were in the right spot- RC didn’t do a great job of marking the areas. We had the private cabana for 2 but last minute canceled when they offered money back for weather. I don’t mind rain but they mentioned lightning and since our transportation is a boat and the winds have been nuts it felt risky. I don’t take risks on vacation. Back in the ship and 💯 okay with it although this was the excursion I was looking forward to most. It’s nice when the ship is a little less crowded. Speaking of crowds, not really an issue and 💯 capacity. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may be my first experience with seasickness. It’s really rocky and I like it when I’m sleeping but idiot me tried to workout this morning and had to leave. 
 

it’s not awful but not fun either. Hoping it’ll pass or that I can get out of bed soon. I’ve never been seasick before, I grew up on boats but I started getting carsick in the back seat a while ago so maybe they are related? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still rough seas but nothing like it was. Got out of bed around 10 and forced myself to find my friend but we spend over an hour looking for one another because internet was down. Can’t be mad because who knows what was going on with Ian. I gave up and got myself a drink. Was it the smartest with not feeling great? Probably not but it was fun.   
 

Rained on and off all day til later afternoon but we drank the day away first at the pub then Vintages and then naps since we were both a little queasy. Lunch was the MDR- meh. Wasted some time in the casino. 
 

Dinner. Dinner. Dinner was 150 CP. what a lovely dinner. The food was great and we were both very happy. Still trying to get through my OBC so I splurged on a bottle of Moët. My friend isn’t fancy but she enjoyed it. Got the cheese plate for dessert. Holy crap. Real cheeses, good cheeses. Even a perfect sized spread of Allouette. Every dinner has been decent to good so far (Giovanni’s, Izumi) but this felt special. 
 

I don’t know what’s going on with either of us but we’ve been content to skip entertainment every night. Dinner has been at 730 and if we make it til 10pm it’s late. No complaints, we just are tired. 

3ED09653-C674-48B1-A084-8E4D4CD8BDC3.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our last sea day was similar to the day before. Rain and high winds. We were able to enjoy the casita on and off. For anyone who's on the fence - you get to pick your spot. It comes with towels. Waters. Bar service with a call button that we never really used because they were attentive. Also an afternoon fruit plate. Depending on the cost it's worth it if you find a spot you like and just want to relax. I've heard midday gets too hot but we didn't encounter that issue. It also helped to have a roof so when it rained we were able to sit there for quite a while.

 

Izumi Hibachi was the last dinner. It was fun. I may have not loved the cramp spaces making everything louder than a normal hibachi but my friend loved it. To me it was a little sensory overload. Food was great. My friend had a seafood allergy so they cooked hers in the back. She wasn't thrilled because she got her food last and when she normally goes to a hibachi place they cook her food on the grill first then the seafood. I figured they had a dedicated grill and didn't want to be responsible for cross contamination but she wasn't having it - until her food came out and then she was happy again.

 

Spent last of OBC at casino and cashed out the rest. Had a few drinks and called it a night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Debarkation was easy but a little depressing. We had gotten a note in our rooms telling us due to marine traffic we'd need to be off the ship by 745 the latest. Woke up around 430am to open curtains to see the beautiful skyline and fell back asleep for another hour. By 6am we were ready to go and see if we should get breakfast from the Key offering but it was just too early and felt too rushed. We wound up just leaving. Luggage was easy for me but my friend's duffle was missing. After some yelling and a lot of back and forth it magically appeared in the area - I think someone grabbed it accidentally or it was left on the rack because we turned around and it was right there. I mean, right there. lol. I was in my car by 643. If my friend didn't have luggage issues I would've been in my car by 625.

I had worried about the parking situation because I forgot to take note of the parking lot area I was in. It was ridiculously easy. I was worried about the overcrowded lot I was in. Again, ridiculously easy. Made it home in a little over an hour. Because it was so early I went home, unpacked, went food shopping and then told my friend I was home so I could pick up my dog.

I had heard our ship never moved because of the high winds so the early debarkation was not necessary. Not thrilled about it but it was nice to be home. I had had a house cleaner friend clean my house for the first time ever. THAT was fun to come home to. I'm pretty clean but DAYUM she got every crevice and molding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stray observations. 

The staff was amazing. Not one complaint. We've all been reading things about staff issues. I did not have one issue or complaint. The staff was lovely, every single person. Our Izumi waiter (we'd had gone 2 nights) was so nice and kept giving us discounts on our food and drinks. (some allergy issues for my friend and things we assumed didn't have seafood, did). I tipped a lot because I had OBC and not sure when my next cruise was, didn't want to lose it. 

I was on the facebook group and we never met up with anyone. Way too much complaining. Complaining about the amount of kids, the amount of rude people and the large asian groups. That made me feel pretty uncomfortable because while there were a lot of large groups of Asian/Indian I didn't find any issues with them or anyone. This is cruising. You will find large groups of ANY type of people. I dunno. My friend and I didn't notice any issue with them. All people crowd the elevator - no matter the race. 

 

Some might find this a sensitive topic so feel free to skip. My friend and I are both on the cautious side. We wore masks in the elevators. It made us more comfortable. We both ride mass transit so in crowds it's second nature for us to. She's immuno-compromised and I have family who is. We were among the 2%. We got some looks but I don't care. I don't care who does what, it made me more comfortable and that's what's important. I'm claustrophobic and elevators are already a big deal for me, when people crowd in on the best of days I wanna hold my breath. Did not hear anything about covid while onboard. Nothing from the facebook groups either. The family in the room between my friend and I were coughing from day 2. Wasn't my business and not sure what was going on but every time I was in my room relaxing the husband was out on the balcony with a deep cough. We both heard the wife coughing from day 3 on. 

 

As I said before - the MDR is the MDR. The quality does seem to have gone down a little. It's fine for what it is. My only complaint with the Windjammer is there seemed to be less choices than before and no real change from day to day but the food seemed as usual. Izumi - not as good as I remembered but the hibachi side food was great. The Key Chops lunch was good. Giovanni's wasn't my favorite, I liked Jaime's better but it was still good. 

 

Drink package was used. My friend can drinkkkkkkkkkk. I tried to keep up but no way I could. Only day 1 did I try but after that I definitely got my use but was more careful A 2 day headache was a little overkill. lol.

 

Casitas were worth it for this cruise because it allowed us to stay outside in the rain, both days.

 

CocoCay. LOVED. Loved the Beach Club. Will I pay that much again, probably not but it was fun. 

 

All in all, even though it rained almost every day we made the best of it and had a great time. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2022 at 7:28 AM, ellcee said:

Some might find this a sensitive topic so feel free to skip. My friend and I are both on the cautious side. We wore masks in the elevators. It made us more comfortable. We both ride mass transit so in crowds it's second nature for us to. She's immuno-compromised and I have family who is. We were among the 2%. We got some looks but I don't care. I don't care who does what, it made me more comfortable and that's what's important. I'm claustrophobic and elevators are already a big deal for me, when people crowd in on the best of days I wanna hold my breath.

thank you for including this. 💚

my friend and i are traveling in december + february and i felt like you had read my mind when you shared!! we have a similar situation; immuno-compromised close family members and i am extremely claustrophobic in elevators/enclosed spaces. a lot of times i prefer to take the stairs just to keep moving and not get crushed inside. although on the bigger ships, climbing from deck four to deck 16 can be a challenge 🤣 (THRILLED that the muster drill has changed as a covid update -- getting anywhere after that mass drill was always a real challenge and had me gritting my teeth the whole time. especially when they'd line you up REAL CLOSE in between other people. Y I K E S)

i appreciate that you were aware and share your feelings; like you, we would not demand others wear masks or insist up on it. we just feel more comfortable keeping them on when in highly trafficked areas, as it gives us a degree of relief/control over the situation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awesome, ellcee!!  Bravissimo!

 

So, forgive me if I'm obtuse, but I'm curious about wearing a mask being a sensitive topic.

When we sailed on Harmony this spring, I felt a little "off" (it was not covid!), so unfortunately

spent more time in our cabin, and when I did go anywhere onboard, I wore my mask.  I

don't recall feeling uncomfortable or feeling like people were staring at me.  

It sucked, and I wanted to go maskless, but I try to be a responsible person.  So, I applaud

you and A2 for doing the right thing!! 

Thanks again for the outstanding blog!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People are so weird when it comes to mask, so I understand why @ellcee says it is a sensitive topic. Port of Los Angeles requires a mask while in the terminal. So many people wouldn't put theirs on and threw all the mask staff gave them all over the terminals and gangways. I am always respectful of policies, and I will wear one if I feel like I will be with people who don't respect boundaries. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Floski said:

So, forgive me if I'm obtuse, but I'm curious about wearing a mask being a sensitive topic.

 

 I respect everyone's choices and wasn't looking for a debate or to be told I didn't have to wear one. I know people get upset when it's mentioned and I definitely have left the site when people could only talk about their views on covid. Just trying to be as respectful as I could while still mentioning a topic that can set discussion off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 7:06 AM, ellcee said:

Fairy Tale - Stephen King

I got very confused for a moment, because many years ago I read Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist. Don't suppose you've read that one as well?

I imagine very different subjects / plot lines, but what a funny reminder that there are only so many unique book titles. I wonder how long SK was searching to see if he'd have to use a different spelling, or add a subtitle or something. 😄 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...