Jump to content

Man Jumps off Cruise Ship


Recommended Posts

I am a Clinical Psychologist in practice for close to 30 years  and it is even difficult for me to explain. Some of these individuals no doubt have some serious mental issues already, such as bipolar disorder;  alcohol doesn’t improve that problem and creates its own. I’ve always thought it was one of the most final ways however. If they think it’s going to be a dramatic situation that they will survive, they are most certainly wrong. So sad for the families left onboard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a person who maintains a fairly rudimentary website with a list of cruise incidents, including people overboard. Oddly, it seems to happen more on Carnival ships on average than RCI. In fact, according to this website, of the 5 ships to have at least 5 people go overboard since 2000, 4 are Carnival ships (none are Royal ships.) 

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jeffmw said:

There's a person who maintains a fairly rudimentary website with a list of cruise incidents, including people overboard. Oddly, it seems to happen more on Carnival ships on average than RCI. In fact, according to this website, of the 5 ships to have at least 5 people go overboard since 2000, 4 are Carnival ships (none are Royal ships.) 

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

 

 

Geez.  I hope not too many people read this, they might get more grandiose  ideas.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, jeffmw said:

There's a person who maintains a fairly rudimentary website with a list of cruise incidents, including people overboard. Oddly, it seems to happen more on Carnival ships on average than RCI. In fact, according to this website, of the 5 ships to have at least 5 people go overboard since 2000, 4 are Carnival ships (none are Royal ships.) 

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/Overboard.html

 

 

I suspect the singles / party crowd on Carnival accounts for this, as opposed to the more family-centric crowd on Royal. Just a guess, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/17/2022 at 11:13 PM, AlohaLivin said:

I am a Clinical Psychologist in practice for close to 30 years  and it’s is even difficult for me to explain. Some of these individuals no doubt have some serious mental issues already, such as bipolar disorder;  alcohol doesn’t improve that problem and creates its own. I’ve always thought it was one of the most final ways however. If they think it’s going to be a dramatic situation that they will survive, they are most certainly wrong. So sad for the families left onboard.

I often wonder what kind of state they have to be in. I mean, a cruise ship isn't as accessible as say a cliff, train tracks, tall building. It's not cheap and most cruisers have at least 1 cruise partner. So there are already a lot of mental "obstacles" in the way. But then you add in the possibility of being seen and stopped and the physical barriers (both the railings and overhanging lifeboats) it just seems like one has to be so so so low that nothing in the way to stop them makes them...well..stop...

 

 

I hope the family is not being bombarded and that they find peace.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, CrimsonCruiser said:

I often wonder what kind of state they have to be in. I mean, a cruise ship isn't as accessible as say a cliff, train tracks, tall building. It's not cheap and most cruisers have at least 1 cruise partner. So there are already a lot of mental "obstacles" in the way. But then you add in the possibility of being seen and stopped and the physical barriers (both the railings and overhanging lifeboats) it just seems like one has to be so so so low that nothing in the way to stop them makes them...well..stop...

 

 

I hope the family is not being bombarded and that they find peace.

It is extremely hard to comprehend. A high percentage of suicide are actually people with bipolar disorder, not when they are low but when they are moving to the “high” (the impulsive behavior can be extreme). It is not uncommon for those with this disorder to have issues with substance abuse which would only enhance the impulsivity. Clearly I’m not diagnosing this person, but this statistic can help explain why somebody would go on a cruise and the situation could suddenly turn.

A couple of years ago we were returning home from a cruise in Orlando and as we were just entering the airport one of the TSA agents committed suicide by jumping from one of the balconies in the connecting hotel to the area between the two main terminals. This is not only a sad situation for this individual, but also for the hundreds of grandparents that were there with their little grandchildren in Disney costumes (I can’t imagine what the little children that watch that felt) and the scores of people who missed weddings and funerals because the airport was shut down for hours (everyone was pulled off planes and the terminal empties leaving a overwhelming mess). It turned out that he worked a full day as an agent and only then jumped in a very public way so many others were impacted. It was impossible to make sense of it.  A difficult topic, no doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, AlohaLivin said:

It is extremely hard to comprehend. A high percentage of suicide or actually people with bipolar disorder, not when they are low but when they are moving to the “high” (she. impulsive behavior can be extreme). It is not in common for those with this disorder to have issues with substance abuse which would only enhance the impulsivity. Clearly I’m not diagnosing this person, but this statistic can help explain why somebody would go on a cruise and the situation could suddenly turn.

ahh...that would make some sense. like you said, though, it's so hard to make sense of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I was also in the Orlando airport on that same day the TSA agent jumped!!  Shocking and sad.  Cruises are usually full of fun, but for those with mental challenges, perhaps seeing everybody enjoying themselves can push someone in the opposite direction.  I know one person who went on a cruise with family members and hardly came out of the cabin, and certainly did not get off at any ports.  I am guessing alcohol could also compound the issues.  In any cases, my deepest sympathy for the individual, the family, and all crew and passengers involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, PhillyLady said:

I was also in the Orlando airport on that same day the TSA agent jumped!!  Shocking and sad.  Cruises are usually full of fun, but for those with mental challenges, perhaps seeing everybody enjoying themselves can push someone in the opposite direction.  I know one person who went on a cruise with family members and hardly came out of the cabin, and certainly did not get off at any ports.  I am guessing alcohol could also compound the issues.  In any cases, my deepest sympathy for the individual, the family, and all crew and passengers involved.

That was a day that I hope never to repeat. Horrible, sad, difficult day. Made worse by the fact the airport was in no way prepared for such a scenario and there were so many people packed in without any idea which way to go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...