Jump to content

Thinking Positive Revisit Luggage Hacks


Neesa
 Share

Recommended Posts

To all my fellow cruisers, being from Tampa area (so spoiled driving to ports) I am guilty of bringing way to much luggage. If I am going to have to "air to sea"  my desire is to be prepared for a 7 night sailing with just carry on luggage, one per each of us. Can it be done? Probably would forego the "formal night" but with the extra costs and logistics I believe less is more concerning this topic. Could we have some fun and revisit personal hacks & suggestions? Looks like carry on size is 22x14x9 and a personal bag, maybe a smaller size back pack? I look forward to your responses. 

pack packing GIF

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think one of the best hacks to pack less, is to be open to wearing something more than once. As long as you don't sweat through a shirt or the like, you can wear the same thing, let's say for dinner at least a couple of times. I'm sure it has happened on past cruises with other passengers, but to be honest, I've never noticed. I've never said to myself, "Hey! What a minute! They wore that two nights ago!" I know, easier said than done for a guy.

 

Happy Cruising!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

16 minutes ago, Sharla said:

Packing cubes! They help a lot. Also if you want to plan on doing laundry one day that will help, you can even bring a couple of laundry soap pods for simplicity. 

And hooks- the walls are magnetic, can help dry out clothes such as bathing suits or workout gear 

Excellent advice...thank you! ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While "currently unavailable" a backpack like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078N6SVS2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) can hold a significant amount of clothing. I purchased it in 2018 and it's my go to for weekend (and overnight) getaways. It holds a few days worth of clothing, my laptop and more. It could help fill the gap of what doesn't fit in a carry on.

Besides that, re-usability will be key - re-wear jeans, less shoes, etc. As @Sharla suggests, doing laundry will help, and organizing with packing cubes might too. Check out YouTube, lots of packing tip videos.

Finally, think about what you're saving to do laundry, buy a new backpack, packing cubes, etc, vs just paying to check a bag... Price might be comparable. 

Finally, Finally, some airlines give you a checked bag as a perk if you have their branded CC (or some CC offer cash towards an airline of your choice) of course this usually comes with a yearly fee.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

Finally, think about what you're saving to do laundry, buy a new backpack, packing cubes, etc, vs just paying to check a bag... Price might be comparable. 

For one or two cruises, this might be a wash. As soon as you get to three or more trips with flights required, the savings will start to add up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wear your bulkiest outfit on the plane.  I bring several brushed cotton swing dresses.  They roll up to take up very little space, wrinkles fall out in a steamy bathroom, can be washed by hand and drip dry quickly.  I pair them with both flip flops and nice flats for day or night and add a light sweater for evenings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Neesa said:

To all my fellow cruisers, being from Tampa area (so spoiled driving to ports) I am guilty of bringing way to much luggage. If I am going to have to "air to sea"  my desire is to be prepared for a 7 night sailing with just carry on luggage, one per each of us. Can it be done? Probably would forego the "formal night" but with the extra costs and logistics I believe less is more concerning this topic. Could we have some fun and revisit personal hacks & suggestions? Looks like carry on size is 22x14x9 and a personal bag, maybe a smaller size back pack? I look forward to your responses. 

pack packing GIF

 

 

Yep - even with formal.  My wife and I have always seen it as a challenge - and have met it.  7-day carry on.  Watch the shoes - they drive volume, other stuff can be rolled.   You can aways turn things inside out too!

  Although you must forget the snorkeling gear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too agree......packing cubes and the roll method in general. I use to always check a bag, but I hated waiting for it after the flight. I am a chubby girl, aka bigger clothes,and I once packed 17 days in a carry-on/backpack for a solo trip to the UK. I am pretty monochromatic when it comes to pants, only took 5 in total, so I packed tops that would go with any of them. Rolled up my dresses and rocked a pair of Merrell Mary Jane's, that literally went with everything and were so comfy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Pooch said:

Wear your bulkiest outfit on the plane.  I bring several brushed cotton swing dresses.  They roll up to take up very little space, wrinkles fall out in a steamy bathroom, can be washed by hand and drip dry quickly.  I pair them with both flip flops and nice flats for day or night and add a light sweater for evenings.

Bulkiest outfit?  Amateur hour.  Bulkiest outfitS? Now you're talking!  In all seriousness though, I have a bag that is extremely similar to @sk8erguy1978's that came with packing cubes designed to fit it.  It has saved me tons of money on checked baggage over the years.

0_Philippine-woman-wears-25kg-worth-of-clothes-after-her-overweight-luggage-gets-rejected.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/21/2021 at 8:44 AM, FManke said:

I think one of the best hacks to pack less, is to be open to wearing something more than once. As long as you don't sweat through a shirt or the like, you can wear the same thing, let's say for dinner at least a couple of times. I'm sure it has happened on past cruises with other passengers, but to be honest, I've never noticed. I've never said to myself, "Hey! What a minute! They wore that two nights ago!" I know, easier said than done for a guy.

 

Happy Cruising!

spacing out when you repeat the wearing goes a long way to making it less noticable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...