I miss cruises so much I did something sad. ?

Ok, I miss cruises so much and it just hit me this morning how much, so I did a virtual drive from my house to Cape Liberty which is where we sail from. Went through every step on Google maps from house to Cape Liberty and then did a little Google maps look around the whole port. 

Even I did not realize just how much I was missing it. I mean it really hit me and got depressed especially seeing the port. Anybody else get depressed at no cruises that you did a virtual drive to the port? 

At 90 minutes to Cape Liberty that would be a lot of clicking! However, it does make me sad thinking of my last actual drive there. It was a bunch of friends and we rented a shuttle that a friend got for such a great deal. All the girls were singing and drinking white claws lol ... Fun start to the vacation.

14 minutes ago, sk8erguy1978 said:

At 90 minutes to Cape Liberty that would be a lot of clicking! However, it does make me sad thinking of my last actual drive there. It was a bunch of friends and we rented a shuttle that a friend got for such a great deal. All the girls were singing and drinking white claws lol ... Fun start to the vacation.

We are only 30-35 minutes south of of Cape Liberty so a lot less clicks. That drive in is the best because it's cruise day. It's concentration time getting to the port safe, it's talk cruise time in the truck because we are all so excited. Then you get to that long stretch of highway in Bayonne that follows NJ Transit light rail line and then you know you are close. 

Although the last time we went GPS took us in a very different way. It was almost a weird shortcut like a road had been opened up to skip some of the drive in. Anyway sometimes I bring up Cape Liberty on Google Earth too, Coco Cay also. ? Hopefully next August ? we will be taking the drive to Cape Liberty and visiting Coco Cay for real, not virtual. 

1 hour ago, RCIfan1912 said:

We are only 30-35 minutes south of of Cape Liberty so a lot less clicks. That drive in is the best because it's cruise day. It's concentration time getting to the port safe, it's talk cruise time in the truck because we are all so excited. Then you get to that long stretch of highway in Bayonne that follows NJ Transit light rail line and then you know you are close. 

Although the last time we went GPS took us in a very different way. It was almost a weird shortcut like a road had been opened up to skip some of the drive in. Anyway sometimes I bring up Cape Liberty on Google Earth too, Coco Cay also. ? Hopefully next August ? we will be taking the drive to Cape Liberty and visiting Coco Cay for real, not virtual. 

Ha ha! When I drive it's a bit more stressful! Usually fine until we hit the NJ Turnpike LOL! After the 16W merge and toll it clears up and we are at 14A in a few.

Last ride with the shuttle he (the driver) kept passing all the opportunities to get to port, finally I asked him if he needed directions. That's when I noticed an old GPS and saw it would be a few minutes... Assume maps not updated to all the traffic changes. 

Oh well, we arrived just before boarding and basically walked from curb to Windjammer! (With a group photo or two and a bar stop or three in between!)

4 minutes ago, Jill said:

There’s nothing like driving into any port and you see that first glimpse of the ship. Gets me every time. 

Oh Lord yes. When you see that beautiful ship and that little bit of smoke from the exhaust it's the best. Then you see the hustle and bustle of the terminal. It's cruise vacation time!

WE have been making basicly the same trip for over 20 yrs for work, same rest stops same fuel stop (Phillipsburg,NJ). It´s 6 hr drive from near Pittsburgh.  Rt 70, to New Stanton, turnpike to Carlisle , Rt 81 to Rt 78 to NJ turnpike to exit 16W to Rt17 Carlstadt. Spend night, bagels at Goldbergs, Liberty State Park (you can see the ship), Then to the ship. The first sight of the ship never ceases to get me to my happy place. We did the straight thru to the ship, ONE time, NEVER again. TOO much stress. Retired, but still make the trip for a friend to help him out once in a while, 3 wks ago I actually made the trip and dragged my wife along and we made a detour to Port Liberty, just to see how far they have come with the new roads and the housing construction. Sad no ship to get on but the area still has plenty of port traffic. Hopefully we will be hearing of all the new protocols and will be cruising again soon.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:18 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

Ok, I miss cruises so much and it just hit me this morning how much, so I did a virtual drive from my house to Cape Liberty which is where we sail from. Went through every step on Google maps from house to Cape Liberty and then did a little Google maps look around the whole port. 

Even I did not realize just how much I was missing it. I mean it really hit me and got depressed especially seeing the port. Anybody else get depressed at no cruises that you did a virtual drive to the port? 

It's going to be ok! We're here for you.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:18 AM, RCIfan1912 said:

I've done this before when I was between cruises. I live in the Atlanta area, but am in Central Florida quite a bit (well, pre-COVID...). I routinely take the time to drive out to Port Canaveral if I'm able just to get a glimpse of my happy place.