Royal Caribbean Blog

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It only took me a trip to divorce court.

CDC - Hold my beer..

You are correct with what you say, the article does state that a cruise may in fact be safer than going on a vacation to a city such as London....HOWEVER it says in a Covid environment at no point doe

@crisgold52 I was mostly meaning that I can't get a refund if they cancel again, instead of FCC. I almost wish I would have opted for the money and just did something else with it. However, I'm trying to have something to look forward to. This all HAS to end EVENTUALLY! We can all sit and be pessimistic about how things will go and it is easy to. But, there is that small ray of hope that since there are previous CDC and government officials on the panel that it will help/speed up the time frame of getting back into the water. They know the ropes of the CDC and can keep that in mind while working on the new policies. If we can't get going by Sept. 16, then maybe Oct. 1st. We cannot stop looking towards the brighter spots of hope.

On 7/6/2020 at 8:06 PM, danv3 said:

JMO, but I think November 1 would be pretty optimistic.  September 16?  No chance.  

Arrgh, my next cruise is on Nov 1st.  All this uncertainty is driving me crazy!

At this point, I am kind of just waiting for the cruise start date to be pushed out again...

34 minutes ago, YOLO said:

Arrgh, my next cruise is on Nov 1st.  All this uncertainty is driving me crazy!

At this point, I am kind of just waiting for the cruise start date to be pushed out again...

Same. I'm hesitant to rebook my extras for my Oct. sailing. I may just sit on the money until closer to sailing. It may cost more if we do get to go, but then I won't have to worry about waiting on refunds again.

I think Nov 1st seems like a more realistic restart, nothing scientific just thoughts. As we heard the panel has been meeting for a few weeks, and it will hand in the first draft report by late Aug, then it has to be gone through, then presented to the CDC. That gives them a very short time to get it all approved, then collect all of their staff and be ready to sail Sept 16. I think it is more realistic that the plan is hopefully approved by Oct 1st and restart Nov 1st.  I wish I could be more optimistic, I have no problem wailing til we get the ok from RCCI, just wish it would be sooner than later.

Last night I heard one manufacturer who hopes to have a vaccine ready for distribution early in 2021.  That's just one or many working towards a vaccine.  Hopefully someone else can get one out in 2020 otherwise I don't see cruising occuring in the US in 2020.  Even if a vaccine starts to become available in November the CDC will need to see a firm trend of declining numbers before they'll give a green light to cruising and that could take a few months after a vaccine is ready. 

The massive case count and ICU utilization we see today are what happens when you open up too much.  Like bars and restaurants, cruising falls into that "too much" category.  The virus isn't becoming less contagious and we haven't managed to kill off all of our most vulnerable or at risk yet despite America's efforts to so absent of the virus just disappearing out of the blue I don't see bars, restaurants or cruising coming back soon.  

I booked a cruise for December hoping I'm wrong but it's refundable so I'm good either way.  

42 minutes ago, Mike.s said:

Mrs Thomas, Not sure I agree with your London Crime rate comments??

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/16/murder-graph-shows-london-killings-compare-us-cities-9971033/

A lot of Americans are constantly fed information about how dangerous big cities are.  I live in one and I'll take my chances walking my dog around the block ahead of going on a cruise right now and possibly getting Covid

The situation is very volatile at the moment and hoping I’m wrong, it could remain this way for quite a while.  The problem with cruising is that everyone on the sailing will be affected by any covid related incident.  Someone testing positive, foreign ports closing, US restrictions tightening, etc can all turn what would have been a nice vacation into a nightmare.  Some have compared cruise ships to theme parks, but nobody stays inside a theme park for 4 to 5 days or more. Plus, people can go home if a covid case presents itself.  But we’ve all seen what happened on cruise ships with covid cases when this was just starting.

Even if Royal resumes operations in September, there are many ports that can’t operate at that time.  I have Florida ports in mind.

2 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Thank you for posting this! The article says that it may be safer than a vacation in London. With their crime rate, I would have to agree.

You are correct with what you say, the article does state that a cruise may in fact be safer than going on a vacation to a city such as London....HOWEVER it says in a Covid environment at no point does it mention crime rate. 

My question would be have you ever been to London or are you just going by reports in newspapers. 

London is no different to any other major city in the world! It has its good and bad areas, good and bad citizens, US cities will have far worse crime rates, shootings, killings and thats just the police! 

11 minutes ago, TempoGL said:

I'll take my chances

That’s the word right there, “chances”.

Some people have taken chances and nothing happened.  But unfortunately for some, they got the covid.  In my circle, we’ve got one who suffered a stroke while being treated for COVID in the ICU,  one on rehab for impaired brain function, one who had to go on dialysis, and sadly, one who died.

That makes it really dangerous for us.

@Mrs. Thomas @TempoGL

1 minute ago, PG Cruiser said:

That’s the word right there, “chances”.

Some people have taken chances and nothing happened.  But unfortunately for some, they got the covid.  In my circle, we’ve got one who suffered a stroke while being treated for COVID in the ICU,  one on rehab for impaired brain function, one who had to go on dialysis, and sadly, one who died.

That makes it really dangerous for us.

Exactly.  That's why I will walk my dog and go outside in my "dangerous large American city" but I will not be going on a cruise ship any time soon

I live in Chicago and have been to London, crime is quite arbitrary. You could easily end up on a ship with someone who goes crazy and stabs people when they see a man in a speedo. Just like you can walk down any "crime ridden" neighborhood and see children playing. Cruising can be safe with honest protocols. I have no reason to believe the ban will be extended, if the CDC intended to do so they would have already done it.

13 minutes ago, TempoGL said:

@Mrs. Thomas @TempoGL

Exactly.  That's why I will walk my dog and go outside in my "dangerous large American city" but I will not be going on a cruise ship any time soon

I got what you meant.  I just wanted to latch onto the phrase “taking chances”.  Some people like taking a lot of chances, as in Russian roulette style chances.  I’ve even heard of college kids holding parties and betting on who gets covid first.

2 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I live in Chicago and have been to London, crime is quite arbitrary. You could easily end up on a ship with someone who goes crazy and stabs people when they see a man in a speedo. Just like you can walk down any "crime ridden" neighborhood and see children playing. Cruising can be safe with honest protocols. I have no reason to believe the ban will be extended, if the CDC intended to do so they would have already done it.

I’m not sure of the timeline, but was the September 15th date set before or after the current surges?

2 hours ago, Mrs. Thomas said:

Same. I'm hesitant to rebook my extras for my Oct. sailing. I may just sit on the money until closer to sailing. It may cost more if we do get to go, but then I won't have to worry about waiting on refunds again.

That is probably a smart move.  We haven't booked our airfare to Florida yet.  The current state of the virus down there is whole other issue.

@PG Cruiser The CLIA voluntarily extended the no sail in the midst of rising cases. With so many countries and ports already closed, I cannot see the CDC extending the ban. Cruising is going to be very limited and controlled. Unlike restaurants and bars that don't do temp checks or anything in regards to safety. Cruises can test beforehand and eliminate exposure.

FYI I've booked my airfare to Florida already since I rebooked. Normally whenever I do my usual game of musical chairs with rebooking things airfare is the fastest. Its actually best to book airfare when one moves cruises. Reason being is that all airlines offer no penalty cancellations if ticketed by a certain date. So for instance with American or Canada as long as the new fare is ticketed by July 31 then any future changes would not incur change fees of up to $150... just a fare difference. 

@TempoGL @Ray I saw a documentary about all of the crime in Britain, not just London. I wasn't just talking about violent crime. Basically, if you want to be robbed then London is the place to go. Even with the 2 million+ cameras they have, there isn't much the police actually do. That's a lot of money to spend to go somewhere just to be pick-pocketed. However, I'm not planning a trip to any major US cities either, especially right now with a lot of people acting crazy. I'm not naïve. Right now, going to grocery store without my kids is as close to a vacation as I can get. :4_joy:

1 hour ago, Rene Desmarais said:

I'm on a Nov 2nd Sailing, and I'm pretty sure I will not be sailing..

I'm on a Nov 12 3 nighter out of Port Canaveral. As I've mentioned in my other posts it doesnt seem feasible. My final payment is due AUG 30 and I feel that 2020 is pretty much a write off especially in terms of risk and if the ships wish to head out or not and then letting a incident on board occur because there will be incidents. Lots of asymptomatic folks. 

2 minutes ago, crisgold52 said:

Lots of asymptomatic folks. 

This is a general question, not necessarily towards you. But, how do we know that there are lots of asymptomatic people? If a person doesn't have symptoms and doesn't know they are sick, then they are most likely NOT going to be tested. How do we know how many people are actually NOT sick but everyone thinks they are because they don't have symptoms? I'm not trying to make people scared of everyone. I know people can be asymptomatic of many things like strep or the flu as well. I think I may be of strep as my family gets it but I never seem to. What if the majority of people AREN'T asymptomatic and everyone is getting sick from people in the 2 week gestation period? That whole gestation period makes me wonder how well taking a temp before boarding helps. A person could be within that 2 weeks and not know it and not show signs for DAYS after their cruise.