Royal Caribbean Blog

RC asks to Delay Galveston Terminal

It makes sense that this would be a cut. Might as we'll finish the refurb on Allure and other ships that they've more or less already paid for and delay the new port building since it's not even really started. They have to prioritize somewhere and prioritization of improving assets they already have makes sense to me

I got a feeling there will be more of these type announcements and repositioning of ships as they deal with all of this. Even once cruising does start back, we are going to see scaled back options for the next couple of years and higher prices. Not a pretty picture at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:49 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

4/13/21

"A decision about whether to give Royal Caribbean Cruises more time to fully commit to building a third terminal in Galveston will wait another two weeks, the Galveston Wharves Board of Trustees decided Monday."

https://www.galvnews.com/news/free/article_48caa8ab-1a9b-5216-9e98-7a1ace114e9d.html

thank you for the update !

6 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

Is there any possibility for Galveston to deepen the port, allowing for Allure OTS to reach the dock and use the existing RC terminal? Or is Allure just too large for that?

I'm not sure how they could do this without shutting down the whole channel. It's a relatively narrow waterway that's not directly open to the ocean, so the equipment may block all marine traffic through there to deepen the area.

1 hour ago, melmar02 said:

I'm not sure how they could do this without shutting down the whole channel. It's a relatively narrow waterway that's not directly open to the ocean, so the equipment may block all marine traffic through there to deepen the area.

I understand that it will block other traffic but it will do that when they build the new terminal eventually, right? Or is the new terminal to be in a different location?

55 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

I understand that it will block other traffic but it will do that when they build the new terminal eventually, right? Or is the new terminal to be in a different location?

The new terminal is closer to Seawolf Park, but that's a great question. @Galveston Steve posted these maps on another thread. It looks like the new terminal will be right where the channel starts to open up, so they may have enough room to leave it open to some traffic. I'm not sure how much they'll need to dig out. According to the Port of Galveston's website, they dredge it annually to maintain a 45 foot depth. https://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=99 Hopefully they if they need to go deeper it could be done during that planned operation.

image.thumb.png.ae2f5b3e4bece63df54673253d678670.png

image.thumb.png.7b5b08fb38a1eb6f3dc3633c2a9ea6cb.png

14 hours ago, melmar02 said:

The new terminal is closer to Seawolf Park, but that's a great question. @Galveston Steve posted these maps on another thread. It looks like the new terminal will be right where the channel starts to open up, so they may have enough room to leave it open to some traffic. I'm not sure how much they'll need to dig out. According to the Port of Galveston's website, they dredge it annually to maintain a 45 foot depth. https://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=99 Hopefully they if they need to go deeper it could be done during that planned operation.

image.thumb.png.ae2f5b3e4bece63df54673253d678670.png

image.thumb.png.7b5b08fb38a1eb6f3dc3633c2a9ea6cb.png

In addition to the depth, I believe the turning basin will also need to be widened for an Oasis class ship to make the 180 degree turn 

Galveston's Port Director will present his monthly report to the Board of Trustees on Tuesday.    There are some very interesting items in the report:

• The Port is working with Royal Caribbean on the possibility of receiving Anthem of the Seas at the current Cruise Terminal 2
  • A decision on approving Royal Caribbean's request to delay the new Terminal 3 by one year is on the agenda
    • Target completion date would now be September 1, 2022
    • Royal Caribbean management has reiterated that Galveston is an integral part of Royal's strategic plan
  • Cruise Terminal 3 progress is continuing even during the Covid-19 crisis:
    • City of Galveston has approved the building permit for the cruise terminal building
    • Phase II Environmental Site Assessment shows no significant concerns
    • Utilities design is ongoing and will be complete in June. 
    • Roadway layout is under development and traffic study simulations are being incorporated 
    • Ready to issue a contract for wharf repair design work
    • Construction work is ongoing to relocate existing operations to make way for Terminal 3
  • The conceptual plan for the East End Cruise Corridor (shown below) includes not only the new Royal Caribbean Terminal 3, but an additional 4th cruise terminal at the current Del Monte terminal.

778154263_ScreenShot2020-04-26at6_38_02PM.thumb.png.b6022ca91e4e44eb85f77a00fe6b90c4.png

10 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

Galveston's Port Director will present his monthly report to the Board of Trustees on Tuesday.    There are some very interesting items in the report:

• The Port is working with Royal Caribbean on the possibility of receiving Anthem of the Seas at the current Cruise Terminal 

That is pretty interesting.  I wonder when they were thinking that would be.  Would they cancel the currently scheduled Anthem cruises in late 2021/early 2022, or would it be May 2022+ (when the ship might have went back to the UK for the summer)?

6 minutes ago, karl_nj said:

That is pretty interesting.  I wonder when they were thinking that would be.  Would they cancel the currently scheduled Anthem cruises in late 2021/early 2022, or would it be May 2022+ (when the ship might have went back to the UK for the summer)?

I'm assuming that with all the Coronavirus turmoil it would fill the gap due to the impending 1-year delay in Galveston's Cruise Terminal 3, so from late 2021 to late 2022.  But that's just my opinion.

🚨 It’s Official 🚨 Port of Galveston voted this afternoon to allow Royal Caribbean a one year delay in building Cruise Terminal 3. New target completion date is September 1, 2022. Neither the Port nor Royal Caribbean wanted to cancel the contract and felt the best option was the one year delay.

26 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

🚨 It’s Official 🚨 Port of Galveston voted this afternoon to allow Royal Caribbean a one year delay in building Cruise Terminal 3. New target completion date is September 1, 2022. Neither the Port nor Royal Caribbean wanted to cancel the contract and felt the best option was the one year delay.

Anything more about that bullet point re: Anthem?

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

Good news...i didn't think the contract would be voided anyways...but like you said, at least now the delay is official...they can proceed forward.

Is it just the terminal that can't accommodate Allure in Galveston, or is there something about the physical landscape of the pier/channel that prohibits it as well? (Asking because there's a "discussion" on a FB page saying that it would just be "inconvenient" for the current terminal to accommodate that many passengers but they'd find a way.

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Is it just the terminal that can't accommodate Allure in Galveston, or is there something about the physical landscape of the pier/channel that prohibits it as well? (Asking because there's a "discussion" on a FB page saying that it would just be "inconvenient" for the current terminal to accommodate that many passengers but they'd find a way.

The current terminal is designed for 1,500 passengers per hour in each direction (embarking/disembarking), and the Port refers to its capacity as a 5,000 passenger terminal. Liberty and Anthem can each carry just under 5,000 passengers, while Allure's capacity is 6,780.  I think it would be very crowded but it might be done with some adjustments, such as passenger arrival timing, installation of facial recognition for Customs and Border Protection, etc.  Before the current terminal was expanded a few years ago they set up a large air conditioned tent to handle the overflow, for example.

The channel depth all the way in to the pier is 46 feet, so that's not an issue.  There are a few areas of the channel that will be dredged this year to maintain that depth.  The pier is a 1,000 foot pier, which would be a little short but the aft could extend a bit to the west, so I do believe Allure could physically fit alongside.  I believe the limiting factor may be the mooring bollards which may be under-designed to safely handle the wind load of such a large ship.  This was an issue when Liberty of the Seas came to Galveston and they had to add additional mooring bollards to accommodate her.