Refunds

TonyK

I'm.kinda confused as to why people are getting refunds before FCC in some cases. You'd think royal would want to give the FCC over refunds.

I'm do for my fcc on April 30th. Im chomping at the bit to upgrade my room just waiting to see how much I'll be getting back. I've done the calculations two different ways (based on how I've seen it done or others) and both ways I think I can upgrade our room.

Also want to get in cruise planner and book my stuff but again waiting on the cruise planner 125% credit. Totally missing the $49 drink package which kills me

6 minutes ago, Kcusack89 said:

I'm.kinda confused as to why people are getting refunds before FCC in some cases. You'd think royal would want to give the FCC over refunds.

Issuing the FCC is more complicated and way more of a manual process to issue.  Since they are issued per passenger, they have to separate out the cruisefare per passenger and then calculate the 125% and issue the FCCs.  Most rooms are at a minimum double occupancy, so that's at least two FCCs that have to be created.  Then you have the cases where FCCs had been applied from things like the Dorian affected cruises or the Oasis crane collapse, so those original FCCs have to be reissued and subtracted from the figure they use to calculate the 125%. 

The FCC was also the default opt-in by doing nothing, so they need to make sure that no refund was requested.  I'm not sure I ever saw a deadline to request the refund and it appears you can change your mind through December 31, 2021 and get the refund instead which is a crazy amount of tracking and recordkeeping in the future.

Compound it a little more that they have to still issue the cash refund for the port fees/taxes..but that goes as a lump to however it was paid.

22 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Issuing the FCC is more complicated and way more of a manual process to issue.  Since they are issued per passenger, they have to separate out the cruisefare per passenger and then calculate the 125% and issue the FCCs.  Most rooms are at a minimum double occupancy, so that's at least two FCCs that have to be created.  Then you have the cases where FCCs had been applied from things like the Dorian affected cruises or the Oasis crane collapse, so those original FCCs have to be reissued and subtracted from the figure they use to calculate the 125%. 

The FCC was also the default opt-in by doing nothing, so they need to make sure that no refund was requested.  I'm not sure I ever saw a deadline to request the refund and it appears you can change your mind through December 31, 2021 and get the refund instead which is a crazy amount of tracking and recordkeeping in the future.

Compound it a little more that they have to still issue the cash refund for the port fees/taxes..but that goes as a lump to however it was paid.

Very good explanation ?

So, before my June 4 cruise on Adventure was cancelled, they changed the itinerary due to Canadian port closures and offered us up to $450 in refundable OBC if we chose to sail, as opposed to cancelling for a refund or an FCC. I was curious, so I messaged the RCCL social-media team on Twitter last week. After checking into it, they notified me today that I'll still receive that OBC, and it'll be issued along with the FCC on or about May 22.

I shall wait to see how that unfolds.

We received our full Cruise fare refund back to our credit card today. Here are our details, hopefully it will help those still waiting. 

- Original sailing: April 5th, cancelled but RC

- Requested refund: March 14

- RC told me it was “processed” on March 16

-Excursion refunds received on March 20

-Full fare refund posted to our credit card on April 27th.  Exactly 30 business days from the “processing” date.  

Hope that helps.

I hope this helps  someone. My sailing date was April  5th. RC Cancelled on March  13th,  I, I received  my cruise  planner  money  promptly.  On April  19 I received money  for  my taxes. After following  this board and realizing that refunds  were starting  to trickle in, I called RC today. To inquire  about the status  of my situation.  The first  agent  transferred  me over to a different  department.  After  explaining my situation I was told that since  I booked  with  a TA  they would  have to call.  After speaking  with the TA, she called me back and this  is what  RC told her. Someone put  a request  into my account  on March 25 for a FCC.  They would  override  that request and I should  get a refund  in 30 to 90 days. I will say that both  of the agents that I spoke to were very  friendly  and cordial.

8 hours ago, GlassSlipper said:

We received our full Cruise fare refund back to our credit card today. Here are our details, hopefully it will help those still waiting. 

- Original sailing: April 5th, cancelled but RC

- Requested refund: March 14

- RC told me it was “processed” on March 16

-Excursion refunds received on March 20

-Full fare refund posted to our credit card on April 27th.  Exactly 30 business days from the “processing” date.  

Hope that helps.

This post gives me hope. I called to find out about our refund today and was told it is "pending" and should be in the account sometime this week. Our original sailing was April 4th, requested refund on March 14th, processed on March 20th, excursions received on March 20th and 24th. Lets see if it appears by May 1st?

21 hours ago, Chadster said:

So, before my June 4 cruise on Adventure was cancelled, they changed the itinerary due to Canadian port closures and offered us up to $450 in refundable OBC if we chose to sail, as opposed to cancelling for a refund or an FCC. I was curious, so I messaged the RCCL social-media team on Twitter last week. After checking into it, they notified me today that I'll still receive that OBC, and it'll be issued along with the FCC on or about May 22.

I shall wait to see how that unfolds.

I’d make sure I kept screenshots of that communication just in case, it seems like something that easily gets lost in the shuffle of refunds. 

2 minutes ago, Andrew72681 said:

I’d make sure I kept screenshots of that communication just in case, it seems like something that easily gets lost in the shuffle of refunds. 

Oh, trust me -- screen-shotted and saved in my Twitter messages! I was actually shocked they told me this...I wasn't really expecting it, but I'm the type who would rather ask for clarification and be told "no" than to miss out on a possibility.

1 minute ago, Chadster said:

Oh, trust me -- screen-shotted and saved in my Twitter messages! I was actually shocked they told me this...I wasn't really expecting it, but I'm the type who would rather ask for clarification and be told "no" than to miss out on a possibility.

I was hoping the system over at Celebrity might screw up and issue me a FCC for my cruise planner purchases that were bought with on-board credit, but alas it looks like they just went back into the ether. 

On 3/21/2020 at 1:59 PM, basil said:

FCC or cash?

Had a cruise on Royal Caribbean adventure of the sea leaving March 14 canceled on March 13. Applied for the cash refund on March 13. Now 45 days later still no refundHad a cruise on Royal Caribbean adventure of the sea leaving March 14 canceled on March 13. Applied for the cash refund on March 13. Now 45 days later still no refund

Has anyone gotten their full 100% refund from RCL yet? I know it can take up to 30 days from the time they cancel your reservation to receive your refund. With that being said I received an email on April 11th from Royal Caribbean International telling me they had cancelled my reservation so I know that I still have a few days before I hit my 30 day mark but I'm just wondering if anyone else has gotten their refund yet.

Edited by Jakefield15
accidentally hit submit before I was done typing.

@Jakefield15

So my cruise was canceled March 24 and that's the day I got my cancellation email. 30 business would be 5/5 but my email says April 30th for a refund so assume that's when my cruise credit should come round too. Some people from my cancelled cruise have said they got their FCC emails already. Sure hope it's this week ?

Just read that another cruise line (granted they only have five ships) will ONLY fully charge for cruises when it hits the 28th day before sailing.  

I hope this catches on with other cruise lines.  Obviously, they can't seem to get our refunds back in a timely matter, they shouldn't take a dime from us until we are closer to the sail date!

They should also allow us to reserve certain on board items from the cruise planner without taking payment.  I am sure if the cruise is a go, they can charge under the 30 days or the first day on board!  

3 minutes ago, ebeck88 said:

Our March 14th cruise was cancelled and we took the FCC for the fare, but haven’t received a refund for cruise planner or taxes for the cruise.  Should I reach out to them or continue to be patient?

Good Luck!  In the same boat and we are reminded everyday to be patient!

An update was just posted on another thread in regards to refunds and I am respecting that person was not looking for comments on that particular thread. Check it out!

It does have some new and good information, however, what baffles me is the go to response that their systems could not handle a situation like this.  How did they create an online process to apply your FCC so fast?

Just imagine if they worked nonstop on the refunds, some of which are well overdue,  the topic would go away!  I am sure we would find something else to squawk about but could move on from this beaten topic. LOL

Unfortunately, it's not going away until people get their refunds!

1 minute ago, RBRSKI said:

what baffles me is the go to response that their systems could not handle a situation like this

I can see it being an issue once the cruise has already passed and thus sailed according to their system.  That's probably partially the explanation some received that nothing could happen until the cruise was officially "over".  At that point money has been shifted to a variety of different receivable accounts.  We saw a variety of fallout from this -- folks had cruises that were called posted as sailed cruises and they received points, the Royal app didn't update to reflect the cruises weren't sailing and pushed through reminder notifications..all signs that Royal does a terrible job of making their systems effectively communicate with each other.  

The cruises that I've seen folks getting successfully refunded were ones that are further out and not the first wave which have "sailed".

Not that their faulty IT should be an excuse to not fulfill their original written expectations, but I can definitely see it.

10 minutes ago, RBRSKI said:

How did they create an online process to apply your FCC so fast?

Have you gotten that to work?  Every time I've gone to use it I get an error to try again later.

Yup,

They were fast to fix the points(C&A) we received on a sailing that we never sailed on!!!  :35_thinking:  Actually, it was quicker then when we get the points when we actually sail!

And I can only count once or twice that my cruise was actually booked directly with Roya, so it would be interesting to see if anyone that booked like this has been successful with this process. 

On 4/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, Kcusack89 said:

@ebeck88 did you receive the email that your cruise planner items are being refunded bc that signals the start of the process

@Kcusack89 I received an email on April 26th indicating all of my cruise planner purchases were being refunded. How long does it take after that for them to actually refund back to my credit card? I am assuming this email is an indication that they are working on my refunds but haven't really received any guidance as to how long to wait for the refund to show up before calling and sitting on hold for a long time. Any help or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks!

@copteacher I opted for the 125% cruise planner credit so no refund here. I got the email of my.cruise planner items.being refunded on 4/20. It was a generic email that they send to everyone. I called royal to confirm I'm.getting the credit.

I also was suppose to get my FCC today but they said it's still processing. So I don't have access to my cruise planner to check anything in that regard

1 minute ago, Kcusack89 said:

@copteacher I opted for the 125% cruise planner credit so no refund here. I got the email of my.cruise planner items.being refunded on 4/20. It was a generic email that they send to everyone. I called royal to confirm I'm.getting the credit.

I also was suppose to get my FCC today but they said it's still processing. So I don't have access to my cruise planner to check anything in that regard

@Kcusack89 thanks so much. Luckily I work in a position that designates me essential to the state so, unlike so many, I am still receiving a paycheck. Because of this I am trying to be patient about the time it is taking to see results. I guess I just wish they would communicate to me, and everyone else, what the process is and what to expect. At least then I would know if something wasn't happening when it was supposed to. Thanks for the reply and hopefully we will all look back on this mess in the future and say "remember when....?"

Website advised I would be denied boarding due to health protocols and full refund would be given if I fell subject to restrictions. Called the number as requested told I would have to board a plane and fly half way round the country to get denied boarding refund! They then cancelled my trip and 2 days later the 125%credit and refund offer appears As cruise cancelled. ! I applied for the refund as my sailing was canceled Now they won’t Refund me Got denied boarding or cancelled cruise even though I wouldn’t have called RE boarding if they hadn’t posted health protocols and would have received the offer as all my fellow passengers did. Shameful, illegal, don’t post refund advice on your website and then not follow through. I’ll never book another cruise 

On 3/31/2020 at 5:12 AM, Cruise Happy said:

I did receive all the refunds over $2000 for the many shore excursions, drink packages, photo packages, etc.,. We are/were also expecting a full CASH REFUND to our original form of payment for our cruise booking costs. It has been 17 days since we received the Cancellation notification along with the online form/application for a full refund or 125% credit. We chose the refund and filled out the form, then immediately received the verification/notification that the refund would be coming, but could take up to 30 days and would be credited back to the original form of payment. I have saved all of these correspondences.These emails from RCCL have set a precedent and established the foundation and timeline. RCCL should "man up" and follow through with their "promise to refund". We are "simple, innocent customers" that entrusted our precious vacation dollar to this mega-billion dollar corporation that is obviously now trying to take advantage of us - claiming they made an error. TOO BAD! PAY UP RCCL!  I simply want my money refunded as was written to me. This included my daughter and her reservation. If RCCL chumps us on this situation, who in their right mind would want to ever cruise with them again. All of the extra money we spend with RCCL amounts to much more than our actual stateroom cruise fee. Does RCCL really want that future money going to a competitor? I hope not! We are cruisers! We go on cruises as often as we can find the time to do so. We will be retired soon and plan to go on even more cruises. If RCCL "chumps" us now, they will loose many, many customers for life. I want my Refund NOW, not a future cruise credit with a short expiration date! PLEASE RCCL, honor your word! PAY UP and do the honorable thing!! Salvage your customers NOW. 

On 3/31/2020 at 4:49 AM, Cruise Happy said:

NO!!! In fact, on Thursday March 26 we received an email stating basically "they changed their mind and/or made a mistake and/or jump the gun" and they are not going to give us a refund! This was 2 weeks after we received an on line verification on Friday the 13th of March stating that we would receive a refund back to our original form of payment but it could take up to 30 days. NO COOL!  Did anybody else also get that "contradicting" email? LET ME KNOW ABOUT ANY CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS!!!

I agree me too keep me posted

Be aware that if you choose to cancel your cruise under the "cruise with confidence" policy and you have purchased the Royal Caribbean travel insurance, Royal Caribbean will not refund the cost of the travel insurance.  It does not say that anywhere in the Frequently Asked Questions regarding the "cruise with confidence" program and I was not informed of that when I called to cancel my cruise.  The May 18th cruise has since been canceled by Royal Caribbean and they still refuse to refund the cost of the travel insurance.  I am not a happy customer.  By the way I am a Diamond cruiser with them as well.

Has anyone received their Royal Caribbean refunds yet? Still waiting on mine since 3/23/20. They refunded my $39 internet service quickly but still owe me over $2,000. I’m getting worried they may go bankrupt. 

3 minutes ago, TAM said:

Scrumps I’m glad you received your refund for your 6/5 cruise. Crazy thing is mine was a 3/27 cruise so they definitely aren’t refunding by date order! Very frustrating. 

I feel ya. I'm still on my 5/11 roll call page and lots of my fellow cruisers have received their credit just not me and my other family booked. Very frustrating. Guess I'll wait till May 15 before calling again

Refund finally hit the account for an April 4th cruised, cancelled on March 13th. The refund was sent  in 8 different payment amounts that equalled the expected refund amount. Good luck to those still waiting, I know its beyond frustrating.