JLMoran

Packing Cubes -- What brand / type do you all use for your longer trips?

I am back from my pre-cruise summer vacation to the Grand Canyon and got to use my new cruisin' cubes in a trial run! I recommend them, pretty cheap ($36 for this set that also included a laundry bag I used for shoes) and seem well made. 

Gonex Compression Packing Cubes - Amazon

They worked better than anticipated and once all my clothing was packed, left quite a bit of room in the suitcase for other things (on the cruise it's for floats, towels, plastic bottles, beach sheet and tent!) including my big a** hiking boots! 

I found them somewhat tricky to compress at first but once you know perfect finger placement to keep it from zipping up the interior fabric into the zipper, they are so convenient.

This is a standard 22" carryon from Samsonite and as you can see once they were all in the suitcase, I still had plenty of extra room at one end and an extra 2 inches all over for putting things on top like my toiletry bag, cooler purse and stupid brimmed hiking hat. 

The small one I am holding in the last image contains 4 tank tops! Crazy! Overall in these cubes I packed: 2 long sleeves, 5 tank tops, 6 shorts, 1 pair of leggings, 5 dresses/rompers and 8 pairs of hiking and regular socks. Seems like plenty of items comparable to 7 days of cruise wear. The dresses I rolled into the largest of the cubes and I found I didn't have that many wrinkles to iron out upon arrival. 

I will get some more use out of these on a quick trip to Detroit for a wedding before my August Freedom sailing so I will update if they start showing any signs of wear and tear. 😎

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d0c.jpg

A2Z5Tx9rTgmx2icd6upOjg_thumb_2d0a.jpg

IMG_9108.jpeg

26 minutes ago, DDaley said:

I am back from my pre-cruise summer vacation to the Grand Canyon and got to use my new cruisin' cubes in a trial run! I recommend them, pretty cheap ($36 for this set that also included a laundry bag I used for shoes) and seem well made. 

Gonex Compression Packing Cubes - Amazon

They worked better than anticipated and once all my clothing was packed, left quite a bit of room in the suitcase for other things (on the cruise it's for floats, towels, plastic bottles, beach sheet and tent!) including my big a** hiking boots! 

I found them somewhat tricky to compress at first but once you know perfect finger placement to keep it from zipping up the interior fabric into the zipper, they are so convenient.

This is a standard 22" carryon from Samsonite and as you can see once they were all in the suitcase, I still had plenty of extra room at one end and an extra 2 inches all over for putting things on top like my toiletry bag, cooler purse and stupid brimmed hiking hat. 

The small one I am holding in the last image contains 4 tank tops! Crazy! Overall in these cubes I packed: 2 long sleeves, 5 tank tops, 6 shorts, 1 pair of leggings, 5 dresses/rompers and 8 pairs of hiking and regular socks. Seems like plenty of items comparable to 7 days of cruise wear. The dresses I rolled into the largest of the cubes and I found I didn't have that many wrinkles to iron out upon arrival. 

I will get some more use out of these on a quick trip to Detroit for a wedding before my August Freedom sailing so I will update if they start showing any signs of wear and tear. 😎

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2d0c.jpg

A2Z5Tx9rTgmx2icd6upOjg_thumb_2d0a.jpg

IMG_9108.jpeg

This is the EXACT set we purchased. Actually, three sets. I have done a "mock" packing just to check weights and the utility of these. WOW! I'm sold!! Glad I purchased them. My advice to others, is that if you're on the fence about these, buy one set. If you're going on a cruise, they're not expensive. Try them. Heck, just do a mock packing and you'll see why folks are recommending these.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:00 PM, ThyriC said:

I use the packing cubes from ebags.  I get 2 large, 4 medium and 4 smalls and those fill my 2 suitcases with room for things that dont fit in the cubes.  I love them.  I dont use any compression cubes because I'm horrible at compressing things that much, and I dont have a vacuum for vacuum bags while on the cruise to repack.  

Mine are purple because.... they're PURPLE I have to have them!  

I'm also a purple freak.  There's a store in Seattle near Pike Place market called The Purple Store.  Mr. SpeedNoodles might not ought to have brought me in there. He almost couldn't drag me out.

We have several sets of packing cubes ( all Amazon ) but have starting using a better system: Jumbo slider seal zip lock bags. These are rated 2 1/2 gallon , and measure 14 1/2 by 16 inches. Inexpensive. Easy to bring spares. Pack by category and all visible. To compress, just sit or lean on them and zip up. If bag breaks, replace!  Can pack by day, various trip segments, weather, clothing type, dirty clothes. Used on multiple trips with weather varying from 90 degrees plus to below freezing, and all in one under 50 pound suitcase. Very easy to partially unpack when traveling pre- or post-cruise. We also take plastic clothes pins for overnight laundry; these go in a quart zip-lock bag. 

Resurrecting this thread so y'all can see what I ended up getting as my first set: LeanTravel Compression Packing Cubes Luggage Organizers for Travel with Double Zipper - Set of 3 - Color Black

Received as a b-day gift, and I have to say after taking a good look at them that I really like the design and construction; I had these on my "Cruise Prep" list as one of many options, and I think they might be the best of the bunch. Probably going to buy the 6-pack option on these (2 large, 2 medium, and 2 small) so that I have cubes for both the checked and carry-on suitcases. Given some of the stuff I'll be packing for the Iceland & Greenland trip (in just over 6 months now!!) -- fleece-lined chinos, mock turtlenecks and other medium-weight layers, t-shirts, dress shirts, suit... having the compression and being able to stuff more into the carry-on without busting it at the seams will definitely be a good thing! Also leaves room for the dress shoes! 😁

I tend to only use them for loose items and also for laundry. I prefer the lightweight ones as I am carrying around everything on my own. I have found they are more useful for organization than for actual space saving. 

You are going to Iceland? Is that part of your cruise or after cruise segment? If cruise, which itinerary? I didn’t know any ships went there, that would be amazing!

1 hour ago, Adriana said:

You are going to Iceland? Is that part of your cruise or after cruise segment? If cruise, which itinerary? I didn’t know any ships went there, that would be amazing!

It’s a transatlantic on Celebrity, going to Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and ending in Dublin. Royal does have one or two cruises each year that go to Iceland, typically a transatlantic / repositioning cruise for whichever Radiance class ship they had in Northern Europe. But those are typically in April / May for the ship’s repositioning to Boston for the summer season, where this cruise is in August and lined up better with family availability around school / college.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

It’s a transatlantic on Celebrity, going to Canada, Greenland, Iceland, and ending in Dublin. Royal does have one or two cruises each year that go to Iceland, typically a transatlantic / repositioning cruise for whichever Radiance class ship they had in Northern Europe. But those are typically in April / May for the ship’s repositioning to Boston for the summer season, where this cruise is in August and lined up better with family availability around school / college.

Thank you! ... That is so cool!! You are going to have an amazing time!! 

Love my packing cubes, I use them to organize by clothing type, cosmetics. When I get to my destination, ship or hotel I do not unpack the cubes. I put them directly in drawers or cabinets already organized and ready to go. The exception would be my hang up items.....I can always find everything.

We picked up a couple sets of packing cubes from IKEA recently, so will be giving them a try in October. We picked up a set from Walmart before our sailing in August and they worked quite nice.