twangster

Give Me Liberty, or ...not. An Insurance Claim Live Blog

19 hours ago, twangster said:

to decide if you think they were hoping with enough road blocks, unrelated terminology and verbiage that isn't in my policy that I might just give up and go away.   

100%

They must hope people aren't smart enough or willing to put in the time/energy/frustration to keep going. Glad it all worked out for you but this is a complete and total mess.

I wonder if a letter plus doc sent to your state's Attorney General and State Insurance Commission would help. Although the claim has been "satisfied" I would think they would be interested in all the extraordinary hoops and BS you had to go through just to get that claim satisfied. Agree with@ellcee. Perhaps they put all their claims through the gauntlet just to see who can survive what should seem like an easy walk down paperwork lane.

On 5/29/2019 at 3:03 PM, WAAAYTOOO said:

I fear I am in the same category.  I would definitely have given up and slunk away.  Hell...I didn't even get the cruise line to pay for lost luggage and that is pretty cut and dry.  I think I just buy insurance to make myself feel like I'm covered when I am really, probably not.  My annual Allianz policy is coming up for renewal VERY quickly.  I really, truly do not know what to do....

I am no Twangbot.

My annual policy expired last month, and since we aren't traveling again until October I thought I'd wait and just get a new policy then.  The options have changed so much in the last year it's ridiculously expensive for the same coverage (not that they will write a policy that starts in October yet.)  So we're looking around for a new one. 

On 5/29/2019 at 3:15 PM, Baked Alaska said:

When I have a claim with itravelinsured.com I am able to start the claim process over the phone with one of their agents, finish the paperwork, scan and email. If there is a problem, either the claims rep from itravelinsured.com calls or emails me tell me what is up and if I need to anything. The claim rep represents ME (and has always worked in my interest) when I've had to make a claim, two to date. I am very happy with them. Was considering Allianz just because I had heard nothing bad (notice, nothing.bad.), but they I contacted them they couldn't write me a policy when I needed one for a sail date 2 years away. Then @twangster's issues happened. That told me just to sit tight with my current company.

Baked Alaska, after following Twangster's rather epic battle in this, I was seriously debating if getting any trip insurance from anyone -- Royal, my travel agent's offered policy from a third party, tripinsurance.com, etc. -- was going to be worthwhile or if I might just as well put it in a pile in my grill and use it for starting the charcoal. After reading the above, I'm going to give itravelinsured.com a go for my Iceland & Greenland sailing next year. Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard of this group before.

50 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Baked Alaska, after following Twangster's rather epic battle in this, I was seriously debating if getting any trip insurance from anyone -- Royal, my travel agent's offered policy from a third party, tripinsurance.com, etc. -- was going to be worthwhile or if I might just as well put it in a pile in my grill and use it for starting the charcoal. After reading the above, I'm going to give itravelinsured.com a go for my Iceland & Greenland sailing next year. Thanks for sharing that, I had never heard of this group before.

@JLMoran....trip insurance is something only you can decide if the cost is worth the risk. However, I always suggest making sure to definitely get medical and evacuation coverage. Losing the cost of cruse or plane fare is one thing, but perish the thought, needing to be helicoptered off a ship can bankrupt you. I usually use a credit card that includes trip insurance and then buy the medical plan separately from geo-blue directly or through insuremytrip.com I like geo-blue because they include coverage for preexisting conditions. I will check out @Baked Alaska  suggestion also to see if they work with geo-blue.

Update:  Money received, my epic insurance experience is over.  

My remaining 2019 cruises have insurance from another carrier purchased on a per cruise basis (no annual policy).   I still have some coverage from Allianz.

I still believe in insurance for the unexpected.  

Biggest lesson learned - don't fly in the day of the cruise.  That wasn't an option this time and I thought it would be okay given a short flight to Houston.  What could go wrong?   The best outcome would have been to take the cruise, so fly in the day before.

3 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Let me know how you like this company.  I keep doing Allianz because its easy but they were awful with our Paris trip.  I hate giving them any business.  Jane

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

@Skid and @JLMoran Insuremytrip.com is what I use. I've seen so much discussion on here that I mistyped. I've made two claims. One was denied initially, they assigned me a claim rep as insuremytrip.com sells itravelinsured LX policies, amongst others, and that person pushed my claim through and received my check with 10 days of the reversal. Very pleased. 

Edited by Baked Alaska
Clarification

On 4/7/2019 at 2:19 PM, twangster said:

The heart of the issue:

681004655_LibertyMissedFlight.thumb.jpg.2966eda06962a9ed6bcf3ffbc68c4a05.jpg

This weather front is moving, sliding left to right and would have been on top of the airport right as we flew into the area.  As the pilot put it, no sense taking off only to be placed into a holding pattern waiting for the slow moving storm to roll through.  

fly.faa.gov conformed the pilots claims.

348858240_LibertyMissedFlight-3.thumb.jpg.af53d65e24d5912b1b8c5101ee23956e.jpg1388692490_LibertyMissedFlight-4.thumb.jpg.168b91b37c45ccd4662ef2febc1e57bd.jpg

The result:

116735690_LibertyMissedFlight-5.thumb.jpg.31fcf4f1ae0979439f658011701c9d5d.jpg

While I did look to see what other airlines might offer, the reality is there was no way to reach the ship in time.

I remember this weather event. It affected us up here in Dallas as well. Sorry you missed your cruise.