How does this work - Southwest Air

KJ1231

Feel free to delete if not appropriate for RCCL discussion....

So last month I booked a 3-nighter to the Bahamas to celebrate  anniversary and birthday. We got a good deal but airfare was high. We normally fly American because Philly is a hub and I have a fair amount of points. Rather than book air I was waiting to see what Southwest fares would be but at the time they were only taking reservations through 3/6/19. We were flying to Orlando on 3/7 and returning on 3/11. Originally it said the schedule would be updated on 8/16 and when 8/16 arrived it got pushed back until 8/30.

I checked the Southwest website twice a day for the last month in case they started taking reservations early. Nothing. Last night I stay up until about 1:00 AM EDT still nothing. I get up at 6 AM this morning. Nothing. Shower and get ready for work. Nothing. Check the app on my phone on my way to work. Nothing. Get to the office and use computer - Most non-stop flights are already sold out and those that aren't are about triple the low price ($118). A whole bunch of people must have been doing the same thing I was :2_grimacing:

Fortunately there was a later flight (7:45 PM) Thursday night for $118 so I just took the one-way. Booked another one-way on AA for the return on 3/11 at double that. Pretty bummed about paying almost as much for airfare as I did for a 3-night cruise.

Good news is the thread on the MCO --> Port Canaveral popped up this morning. I had told Michelle at MEI I would use the RCCL transfer at a cost of $150 R/T for the two of us but she need flight info to book it. Thanks to that thread this morning (and Michelle being on vacation!) I saved $70 which made the airfare pill a little easier to swallow.....

Time to look at sailings from Bayonne and Baltimore!

5 minutes ago, KJ1231 said:

Feel free to delete if not appropriate for RCCL discussion....

So last month I booked a 3-nighter to the Bahamas to celebrate  anniversary and birthday. We got a good deal but airfare was high. We normally fly American because Philly is a hub and I have a fair amount of points. Rather than book air I was waiting to see what Southwest fares would be but at the time they were only taking reservations through 3/6/19. We were flying to Orlando on 3/7 and returning on 3/11. Originally it said the schedule would be updated on 8/16 and when 8/16 arrived it got pushed back until 8/30.

I checked the Southwest website twice a day for the last month in case they started taking reservations early. Nothing. Last night I stay up until about 1:00 AM EDT still nothing. I get up at 6 AM this morning. Nothing. Shower and get ready for work. Nothing. Check the app on my phone on my way to work. Nothing. Get to the office and use computer - Most non-stop flights are already sold out and those that aren't are about triple the low price ($118). A whole bunch of people must have been doing the same thing I was :2_grimacing:

Fortunately there was a later flight (7:45 PM) Thursday night for $118 so I just took the one-way. Booked another one-way on AA for the return on 3/11 at double that. Pretty bummed about paying almost as much for airfare as I did for a 3-night cruise.

Good news is the thread on the MCO --> Port Canaveral popped up this morning. I had told Michelle at MEI I would use the RCCL transfer at a cost of $150 R/T for the two of us but she need flight info to book it. Thanks to that thread this morning (and Michelle being on vacation!) I saved $70 which made the airfare pill a little easier to swallow.....

Time to look at sailings from Bayonne and Baltimore!

Speaking of Baltimore ---- with BWI being a Southwest hub .... I wonder if you could've saved some money by driving down I-95 and flying out of there.

17 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Speaking of Baltimore ---- with BWI being a Southwest hub .... I wonder if you could've saved some money by driving down I-95 and flying out of there.

Should have thought of that. Could have saved $140. Probably 2.5 hour ride each way and since we don't want to take time off on Thursday to get a Thursday evening flight it wouldn't have worked this time. Will definitely keep it in mind for next time!!

An alternative airport for Port Canaveral could be MLB (Melbourne). Smaller regional airport, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. ~28 miles from the Port, similar travel time as MCO if no traffic on either route. Pretty drive up right up the coast past Patrick AFB (very pretty, actually) through Coco Beach. Much better that the BeeLine expressway. 

I have found that Southwest is no longer the cheapest option.  I think you are looking at the start of spring break and that is my problem too.  Today I purchased 1 ticket, used our companion pass and then bought 4 tickets with miles.  This is only for the arriving flight and my options are limited as one of the 2 last flights of the day as the rest of the day was sold out.  My return flight the "wanna get away" fares are booked or very late.  I am researching the return flight and  to start looking at MIA as an option too.

I had checked Allegiant that flies from Allentown, PA (ABE) to SFB a couple weeks ago and fares were so-so. They are running a small sale so canceled Southwest/AA (no fee within 24 hours) for an Allegiant roundtrip and even with bags, seats cancelation (flex) was $100 cheaper. Plus my sister lives in Sanford so win/win. Just need a SFB/Port Canaveral Shuttle now..

2 hours ago, melski94 said:

I have found that Southwest is no longer the cheapest option.

Southwest rarely is for me.  As a business traveler I routinely under 30 days notice, very often under 2 weeks notice.  In most cases Southwest is higher than the the big three.  

Having said that those $79 fares on Southwest between Tampa and Ft Lauderdale are coming in handy for my trans-Florida S2S cruises. 

2 hours ago, KJ1231 said:

I had checked Allegiant that flies from Allentown, PA (ABE) to SFB a couple weeks ago and fares were so-so. They are running a small sale so canceled Southwest/AA (no fee within 24 hours) for an Allegiant roundtrip and even with bags, seats cancelation (flex) was $100 cheaper. Plus my sister lives in Sanford so win/win. Just need a SFB/Port Canaveral Shuttle now..

In case it happens again, I think AirTran still goes out of Harrisburg to MCO or Sanford but I believe the times are limited (not every day).   I have family in Philly and friends in Hershey that will routinely make the trek to Baltimore as it tends to be cheaper than Philly (enough to make it worth the while).

5 minutes ago, mbk999 said:

In case it happens again, I think AirTran still goes out of Harrisburg to MCO or Sanford but I believe the times are limited (not every day).   I have family in Philly and friends in Hershey that will routinely make the trek to Baltimore as it tends to be cheaper than Philly (enough to make it worth the while).

Airtran was bought by Southwest a few years ago ..... Perhaps you're thinking of Allegiant --- they also operate out of Hagerstown to Sanford

12 hours ago, MrB said:

An alternative airport for Port Canaveral could be MLB (Melbourne). Smaller regional airport, with all the advantages and disadvantages that brings. ~28 miles from the Port, similar travel time as MCO if no traffic on either route. Pretty drive up right up the coast past Patrick AFB (very pretty, actually) through Coco Beach. Much better that the BeeLine expressway. 

I’m from the Palm Bay/Melbourne area and with traffic and stop light the Melbourne airport is the same amount of miles away from Port Canaveral that Orlando is from Port Canaveral. Orlando is 80 miles from the port. The distance from Melbourne to Port Canaveral may be shorter when your looking at a map or on google maps but with traffic and the distance from MLB (Melbourne) airport to US1 and US1 over the Melbourne causeway to A1A (both of which are long roads) and know which cruise terminal letter (cruise terminal A or cruise terminal B) to take to exit can be confusing if you have not been on a cruise from port Canaveral and drove to the port. If first time going on a cruise out of port Canaveral and flying in for your cruise out of port Canaveral fly into OIA (Orlando) instead of MLB. The distance from MLB (Melbourne) to Port Canaveral is 28 miles to port without traffic and the stop and go’s at each stop light and traffic seems like 80 miles which is the same distance from OIA (Orlando) to Port Canaveral. 

14 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Airtran was bought by Southwest a few years ago ..... Perhaps you're thinking of Allegiant --- they also operate out of Hagerstown to Sanford

yep, that's what I meant (long week).   Looked at the Hagerstown options but (at least at the time) all the flights were mid-week

For me, Southwest almost always is the cheapest flying out of Denver.  My April-May cruise dates arent open yet but using March as a test I can fly round trip to Hobby for just over $300.  The cheapest I can do other airlines is $265, but any money saved is easily surpassed by baggage fees.  That combined with the far superior "service" I recieve form SW employees makes this a virtual no-brainer for me.  FYI" Southwest will release thru Jne of 2019 on September 27

On 8/30/2018 at 8:34 AM, KJ1231 said:

Should have thought of that. Could have saved $140. Probably 2.5 hour ride each way and since we don't want to take time off on Thursday to get a Thursday evening flight it wouldn't have worked this time. Will definitely keep it in mind for next time!!

With no change fees on Southwest - you can very easily cancel and rebook at the lower fare.  It's also worth watching, if the fare goes down, you can do a flight change and "change" to the same flight at the lower price with the extra funds being held for future use (up to a year from the original purchase date). If you book on Rapid Reward points, the points simply return to your account when you change flights.  

1 hour ago, jce2 said:

FYI" Southwest will release thru Jne of 2019 on September 27

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I was assuming it would follow the same pattern of only releasing them a month at a time and was planning to check back in October for my mid May 2019 cruise flights. 

1 minute ago, spiralqueen said:

I'm so glad you mentioned this! I was assuming it would follow the same pattern of only releasing them a month at a time and was planning to check back in October for my mid May 2019 cruise flights. 

Yea, I am waitng for April 28-May 5 for my Liberty cruise.  They just this week released thru April 7th and announced they will release thru June 7th on September 27th.  However, i should point out that this latest release was originally scheduled for August 16th and then was slipped to the 30th, so it is possible that the next date might slip a week or two as well but i doubt it

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:01 PM, jce2 said:

Yea, I am waitng for April 28-May 5 for my Liberty cruise.  They just this week released thru April 7th and announced they will release thru June 7th on September 27th.  However, i should point out that this latest release was originally scheduled for August 16th and then was slipped to the 30th, so it is possible that the next date might slip a week or two as well but i doubt it

As of today, September 25, Southwest was showing through April 7.  We just booked our air from Orlando to San Juan for our March 31 cruise on Freedom. $399 round trip.  We had travel funds though from canceled flights to NC during Hurricane Florence, so all we had to pay was $40 for our cruise flights.

• 1 month later...

I also fly out of Philly.  American is usually the cheapest most times to Florida, but I have found some cheaper fares through Jet Blue.  Jet Blue is my preferred travel method.  Great snacks, free carry on bags, free movies/TV.  My kid loves Jet Blue and the free TV.  I had a bad experience with Southwest once and refuse to take it.  I am willing to pay more for Jet Blue based on the customer service. 

7 minutes ago, MelissaM said:

I also fly out of Philly.  American is usually the cheapest most times to Florida, but I have found some cheaper fares through Jet Blue.  Jet Blue is my preferred travel method.  Great snacks, free carry on bags, free movies/TV.  My kid loves Jet Blue and the free TV.  I had a bad experience with Southwest once and refuse to take it.  I am willing to pay more for Jet Blue based on the customer service. 

I only fly out of Chicago-Midway. It is only 20 minutes from home.