Speaking of ill-advised, bad ideas…

I already know this is a bad idea, I've told other travelers not to risk it…

But has anybody in these forums actually transferred from Port Canaveral to Miami (or vice versa)?  With traffic it's easily a four hour trip, but my last few cruises I easily walked off the ship and out of the terminal before 8:30am, so this has me wondering if I could/should book an extra cruise that ends in PC the same day my Port of Miami cruise departs…

Has anybody actually done this transfer successfully in the last year or two?

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

I believe @Lovetocruise2002 has one of these booked and started a thread about it a while back.

I'm sure she'll chime in when she sees this and is free.

Thanks for tagging me!

@Thumper44 I did ask something very similar to this about a month ago. Except I am going to Fort Lauderdale, not Miami. You would probably have to tack on another 45-60mins to go to Miami, or more depending on traffic. But @tonyfsu21 can comment more on that. He lives in that area.

Here is the thread:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/boards/index.php?/topic/45477-going-from-port-canaveral-to-fort-lauderdale-s2s/#comment-482377

Matt posted a video a couple of months back in which he speaks to the ease of taking the new Brightline train from Orlando to South Florida (apx 3.5 min mark). It will be some time (years), but with a yet to be built station in Coco Beach, taking a B2B between Port Canaveral and Miami or Ft. Lauderdale seems almost palatable. 

9 minutes ago, TessFromFlorida said:

Matt posted a video a couple of months back in which he speaks to the ease of taking the new Brightline train from Orlando to South Florida (apx 3.5 min mark). It will be some time (years), but with a yet to be built station in Coco Beach, taking a B2B between Port Canaveral and Miami or Ft. Lauderdale seems almost palatable. 

This would be more of a hassle logistically than just driving IMHO. 

2 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

I already know this is a bad idea, I've told other travelers not to risk it…

But has anybody in these forums actually transferred from Port Canaveral to Miami (or vice versa)?  With traffic it's easily a four hour trip, but my last few cruises I easily walked off the ship and out of the terminal before 8:30am, so this has me wondering if I could/should book an extra cruise that ends in PC the same day my Port of Miami cruise departs…

Has anybody actually done this transfer successfully in the last year or two?

This can very easily be done with minimal risk (especially on a weekend). 

4 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

This can very easily be done with minimal risk (especially on a weekend). 

I would be doing a Thursday morning in mid-January.  I assume you anticipate traffic being especially bad mid-week?

1 hour ago, Thumper44 said:

I would be doing a Thursday morning in mid-January.  I assume you anticipate traffic being especially bad mid-week?

I recall departing out of Miami back in December that getting from I-95 to I-395 ( the causeway to the port entrance) was PACKED at around 9:30- 10:00 am due to construction and the typical Miami rush hour congestion. While I would not recommend driving from PC to Miami the same day as your departure, it can be done with a great deal of patience. 4 hours travel time down I-95 from PC to Miami is about right. But like @TessFromFlorida had mentioned, Brightline will be opening up a station in Coco Beach in the near future. When this happens I would say ABSOLUTELY, 100% you can depart your ship in the morning in PC, Uber or Lyft over to the Brighline station and be in the Miami station within ~ 2.3 to 3 hours. Then from there a rideshare program over to the Miami terminal. 

Good luck. 

3 hours ago, Thumper44 said:

Here’s the lowdown. 
1. Assumes you and whomever you travel with is able body.

2. No major customs issue hold up ship in PC from arrival.

3. Get off the ship WAAAAAAAYYYYY before 8:30am. More like grab the luggage and be downstairs on the departure deck ready to walk off the ship before 7am. 

4. A game plan is in place for a vehicle to get to by 8am and be headed West on the Beeline before 9am.

5. No major traffic accidents on I-95 (if so, transfer to Turnpike).

6. Arrive at Port of Miami between 12-1pm and board the ship.

The rush hour traffic will not impact you because it will end before you reach South Florida in the 10-11am timeframe.

**** Note: disregard everything I just said if you plan to flip the trip and go from Miami to PC on a Thursday in the AM because it most likely will cost you a cruise. 

I've done Miami to PC before with a one-way car rental. I took my own luggage off first thing, got a Lyft to the car rental agency that's less than 10 mins from the port. I dropped the car off and got a Lyft to the port. I don't have the patience for shuttles but they were available to/from the car rental places and the ports. I used Avis. I was boarding in PC a little after 1pm.

11 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

I've done Miami to PC before with a one-way car rental. I took my own luggage off first thing, got a Lyft to the car rental agency that's less than 10 mins from the port. I dropped the car off and got a Lyft to the port. I don't have the patience for shuttles but they were available to/from the car rental places and the ports. I used Avis. I was boarding in PC a little after 1pm.

Weekend? If not, you got lucky because I-95, 395 traffic on any given weekday is horrible until you get north of the Jupiter exit in WPB. I personally wouldn’t chance it after 47 years of this crap under my belt. 

4 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Weekend? If not, you got lucky because I-95, 395 traffic on any given weekday is horrible until you get north of the Jupiter exit in WPB. I personally wouldn’t chance it after 47 years of this crap under my belt. 

It was a Thursday. I would have gone whatever way the GPS told me..likely the turnpike to avoid 95 traffic, but I can't recall exactly.

56 minutes ago, Freegirl said:

In January, we did a S2S with Liberty and Allure.

We walked off Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale about 6:40 am and drove to Port Canaveral. We were on Allure by 10:30 am. This was on a Monday.

Yes, Fort Lauderdale is a world away from Miami (traffic wise) during the week. The trek from South to North during rush hour is a much better scenario then starting from Miami.