diamonds go AGAIN!! (an oasis reprise) ~ 2.4.2024-2.11.2024 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Between cost and other factors, I'm not sure I'd be cruising if I couldn't drive to a port... as much as I love it.

^^This^^

Dan and I have discussed many times, recently, that we would be out of the cruising business if we had not moved to FL when we did.  It's not just a matter of $$$, but the stress of flying these days has gone up exponentially.  Add the inconvenience of a hotel stay and it is just overwhelming.  My hat is off to those of you who are flying in these days.

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

You guys know this but obviously no judgment ever meant in my comments... if something makes you happy and can afford it, awesome!

Being as frugal as I am, I can obviously cut costs by sailing interiors with group rates, not doing a ton of specialty dining (although that's more personal preference), etc. But the prices of of hotels and airfare I see mentioned boggles my mind. I am thankful and feel spoiled that we can drive an hour to PC. Between cost and other factors, I'm not sure I'd be cruising if I couldn't drive to a port... as much as I love it.

This is why I'm happy to have Cape Liberty close by, but the itineraries from NJ get a bit repetitive so we still have to travel down to FL. We have the MSC cruise in December from Miami, and I'm already looking for hotels so I can get one as cheap as possible... all we need is a bed a shower! lol

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

This is how I feel how I feel about this property as well. We have stayed here so many times over the years, but they have jumped their price considerably, and for what they offer, I would rather spend that money elsewhere.

yes this EXACTLY. 

if i’m going to spend that money, it will get me farther elsewhere. 💚

1 minute ago, Neesa said:

one back pack & one carry on size roller

That's even less than us, lol. We have a full size roller each (although they're not necessarily full) and usually one backpack or beach bag to carry on.

Ironically, that's the same exact amount of luggage we took for 18 days in Alaska except we each had a travel backpack. Doing laundry halfway through the trip before the cruise portion was the difference.

12 minutes ago, Neesa said:

All that luggage!!!

I don't think @Ampurp85 had that much for her S2S2S! 

oh @Ampurp85 definitely did not!!!

i know i give @Jax a run for their money!!!

the pink bag is filled with chips and snacks 😂 for sailaway times. 

the giant duffle is filled with all my cruise specific gear - and goes DIRECTLY to the longshoremen when we arrive. i also put my travel pillow in there so it’s one less thing to carry. 

there is also coconut water and hint water and almond milk and my traveling pharmacy (in case we get hungover, dehydrated, or fall down a flight of stairs. …again.)

i don’t travel light, but i do travel with what i need to get it done 😂😂😂

yall we BREEZED through security. i didn’t even get through that fast when we were in a suite. 

it was insane. 

now we are sitting with gen pop waiting to be called for express boarding. 💚

there are supposed to be key guests with us as well. 

our plan is to hit the MDR first to sort out the MTD/early seating debacle that we are ensnarled in, yet again. then we will go to guest services, and cafe promenade if they have tuna sandos to deconstruct. (might be less confusing than the tuna melt that remains unmelted). 

i finally had some of my cold brew and am feeling like my brain cells have come firing back to life. 

you guys. i think this is gonna be the sailing WE NEED. (because last time certainly wasn’t the one we deserved 😅😅😅😅)

Yaaaaay express boarding.

I gave up Uber years ago, they definitely charge a higher premium when your a subscriber, I've experienced it with my BFF. I have Lyft Pink through my Reserve card and get priority pickups.

I book B2B or S2S particularly because I have to fly. But my hack is to pay everything on my Reserve, including my gambling, so I can use points on hotels. I'm shocked at how these rooms cost $300+ a night and have no real amenities above breakfast.

But oooh portside and Aqua80, you living the dream😍💜

well friends, we have already run the gamut around the ship!

we went to guest services to make change, and also to see if there were any random upgrades 😂 spoiler alert: there weren’t. 

the officer said we are sailing at full capacity 😳

from there, we went to 5 to sort out dinner reservations but that was not to be on deck 5. so we plummeted (safely) down to deck 3 to make sure the arrangements were set. we are in fact in the early seating at 5pm, since MTD has been pushed from 6:45, to 7:45 and now sits at 7:15.

i know think we will do portside tonite, and maybe playmakers one night. contemplating if we want a specialty dinner to make use of my diamond plus BOGO….

after that, we ventured to deck 10 to try @WAAAYTOOO’s trick and see if the seapass cards were out… there WERE seapass cards, but they ran out by the time i got to our cabin. 

our plan was to head to park cafe for tuna sammies BUT. the rain here has other ideas. it was torrential rain, going sideways and the trees in central park were swaying alarmingly. the good news is, it should mellow out considerably by another hour or so. and then stop altogether i think around 3pm. 

thus needing to be diverted, and DREADING the jammer as i feared the masses, especially with the need for a covered venue, we went to ELF!

and we had the place to ourselves!!!

i got some guac and doctored it up with @OCSC Mike’s trick of using chipotle tabasco and my trick of a freshly squeezed lime or two, and it’s delicious. 

i had been craving a quesadilla since yesterday. 

it is breezy here outside right now but relatively mellow. there is some loud thunder and i saw a crack of lightning before but seems to just be raining. 

some folks have their hoodies on; i am in my green field jacket + typical black wideleg jumpsuit with platform birks. the platform came especially in handy, as we stepped out onto deck 15 into a large lake of puddles. they have been sweeping it into the drains, but i think it will dissuade most people from coming here for a while. 

we’ve been discussing what to do/where to go next, but i think we will just hang tight here for at least another half hour, and then head back down to 10 to drop bags when they open up the cabins. 

hopefully the breeze quiets down soon. it already feels a little calmer. 

our muster station is at the aqua theater… and i am in no rush to go out in the rain. hopefully they’ve staged them closer to the interior entrance of the boardwalk so we don’t have to go that far into this weather.

…i want to unpack. 😂

38 minutes ago, GatorCruiser said:

But I do have tiny humans

i love tiny smalls!**

i would have had ducks for them if we were sailing together 💚

**and i also LOVE returning them to their parents at the end of the night 😂 i joke around that i am in my mysterious hot auntie phase. red lipstick, big sunglasses, traveling abroad. 💃🏻😎💚

10 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i got some guac and doctored it up with @OCSC Mike’s trick of using chipotle tabasco and my trick of a freshly squeezed lime or two, and it’s delicious.

Glad you liked it. I haven't actually tried the guac since my first traumatic experience; I've just used the tobasco on tacos, but I'll give your version a shot next month.

10 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i think we will just hang tight here for at least another half hour

Some ELF is good, more is better!

On Wonder, ELF has its own tequila bar attached with a few unique options. I'd happily be trapped there for quite a while. 😋

12 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

i love tiny smalls!**

i would have had ducks for them if we were sailing together 💚

**and i also LOVE returning them to their parents at the end of the night 😂 i joke around that i am in my mysterious hot auntie phase. red lipstick, big sunglasses, traveling abroad. 💃🏻😎💚

My tots  love looking for ducks for now. It’ll be sad when they loss that joie de vivre

also can confirm, portside is open all day today including lunch @Lovetocruise2002 💚💚

we asked a server and also got the hours of operation.

i’m not sure if they extended the hours as its an indoor venue and the weather is poor here, or if its open all day traditionally. but seems silly to have such a highly trafficked section with great visibility closed off for lunch on embarkation day.

IMG_7895.jpeg

IMG_7894.jpeg

How are the quesadillas? They used weird cheese on Allure, but they were super good on Oasis and Wonder.

I totally want tortillas and guacamole now......and some portside.

I won't judge your bags for only 8 days of vacation😂🤣😂🤣😂.....  I should mention my bags may increase soon 😆 🤣 😂 I have to increase my snacks like popcorn and chocolate. Royal dessert aren't living up to standards.

12 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

How are the quesadillas? They used weird cheese on Allure, but they were super good on Oasis and Wonder.

Glad you mentioned this. I had a bad one on Wonder (it had been sitting out too long) and never bothered trying them again on either ship. I'll add them back to my "try again" list. The more included snack options the merrier!

Probably a moot point now (nearly 1300) but even if you weren’t able to snatch your Seapass card from your cabin hallway, you can always go up to the Crown Lounge and bang on the door.  There’s nearly always someone in there that will let you in.  If you have to hang out, that’s the place I would soonest do it !

3 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

But the prices of hotels and airfare I see mentioned boggles my mind. I am thankful and feel spoiled that we can drive an hour to PC. Between cost and other factors, I'm not sure I'd be cruising if I couldn't drive to a port... as much as I love it.

Yes, prices are super high right now on all travel. We have to cruise during peak times because of school schedules. In order to get the lowest flight price at decent times this year (which is still double what it was a few years ago), we are flying from an airport 1.5 hours away instead of the one 15 minutes away, we're flying one airline into FLL and then flying a different airline back from MIA. All other choices were 3x and 4x more. Our hotel has not-great reviews (the Homewood Suites - I do Hilton loyalty when I can and need a suite with the 2 teens) and I just repriced it for $325 down from $375. After our March sailing, we're taking a break from cruising for a while and switching to land vacations for the next few years. International flights don't seem to have gone up as much as domestic flights. 

@asquared17 I think that you have just the right amount of luggage. Although bringing outside food onto a cruise, I don't know about that 😂  And you have not had a very auspicious start to your trip... I hope it gets better!!!

Sorry I've been MIA for the cruise countdown, but YEAH!!! YOU'RE ON THE SHIP!!

Congrats on the Express Boarding! I'm putting the over/under of this trip's AAA calls at 5....

And P.S. Also team  @WAAAYTOOO, @OCSC Mike, and @ScottD for driving to the port! You've yet to convince me that flying to Florida in Dec and Feb is better than driving to Cape Liberty to sail out of your home state in May or June! 😅

4 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

can you do me a favour and see if Portside BBQ is open for lunch today? In my app, it says it does not open until 5pm on embarkation day, but I suspect that is wrong.

This brings back such great memories. ❤️ Getting on Oasis, Shane 🧞‍♂️ and lunch at Portside BBQ. It remains our best embarkation experience to date.  

20 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

they were good!! 

i find the quesadillas and tuna sandos to be filled a little ~light on day one. maybe they don’t want to run out?? and then by day two, they’re back on track. 

every once in a while there’s an odd one but not odd enough to put me off them entirely. 

cheese + bread product is a main stay of my diet (pizza, pasta, etc) so it would need to be really horrendous to keep me off them forever. 

22 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

I won't judge your bags for only 8 days of vacation😂🤣😂🤣😂.....  I should mention my bags may increase soon 😆🤣😂

at first i felt bad about it but now i do not😂 i need all my stuff!!!

27 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I think that you have just the right amount of luggage. Although bringing outside food onto a cruise, I don't know about that 😂  And you have not had a very auspicious start to your trip... I hope it gets better!!!

it will!! the rain stopped and the sun is trying to come out. we are already doing great! 

3 hours ago, asquared17 said:

i know i give @Jax a run for their money!!!

Haha, nothing to see here! Have you forgotten we stayed in 4 hotels in 8 nights with ALL our luggage. Poor Lindsay and Reyd, hauling all that luggage in and out and they didn’t say a peep. Lol

My biggest biggest fear with Uber/lyft is that our luggage won’t fit.  That’s why I always book the SUV. 

IMG_1478.gif

our cabin is a bit unusual in layout - the bathroom in particular has a little extra space (not complaining!) and the carpet is the new harmony/symphony pattern. 

we also have a new couch!

IMG_7902.thumb.jpeg.6facc5ce131895d3ee56fa7f9afca161.jpeg

also have you ever seen this weird column thing in the middle of the corridor??? i have never, in all my (pre-vintage) years. 

IMG_7898.jpeg

IMG_7899.jpeg

IMG_7900.jpeg

IMG_7901.jpeg

19 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

cheese + bread product is a main stay of my diet (pizza, pasta, etc) so it would need to be really horrendous to keep me off them forever.

Can’t argue with this (although I can easily move on to dozens of other options on a cruise, lol).

It’s hard to make a totally inedible quesadilla… I wrongfully assumed they would constantly have been sitting out too long & gotten stale-ish. I moved on to tacos b/c the tortillas are freshly made & the protein (usually chicken for me) is sitting in a hot pan so they were pretty consistent but now I’m looking forward to some melty cheesy goodness… 6 weeks from today.

52 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

the bathroom in particular has a little extra space (not complaining!) 

IMG_7901.jpeg

How/where is the extra space in the bathroom?

It also looks like you got that totally circular shower rather than the one that is just rounded/semi-circle, is that right? I'm looking at that bright white spot at the edge. Did they create a little triangular pocket of space where it meets the wall? I hated that on Allure because it grew mold...

21 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

How/where is the extra space in the bathroom?

best i can explain it:  there’s extra floor space/it’s wider/longer when you walk in. the shower is at the back of the bathroom and the toilet right next to it - the sink seems longer across from end to end, but narrower in depth. 

it’s an anomaly of a cabin. 

we also have a strange little plug hub mounted directly into the vanity surface and the typical sockets with euro/uk and one standard are below on the side of the vanity. 

IMG_7925.thumb.jpeg.6a6d28b9515bd2c9859df8ad65b5456f.jpeg

IMG_7926.thumb.jpeg.d86ba65b8882152bc629e9dc3f9d5961.jpeg

maybe it’s been too long since i’ve sailed oasis balcony class but i don’t recall this being part of it. 

and this strange little under cabinet? what even? 😂 i‘m not mad at it, but the space is so tiny 😂

22 minutes ago, Sweety said:

I am waiting for the food pictures. Portside is on my bucket list

i will be sure to get you pics when we go tonite!!!!