diamonds go AGAIN!! (an oasis reprise) ~ 2.4.2024-2.11.2024 ~ oasis of the seas

asquared17

i am all packed. 💚

today was a long day, and i pushed to get a ton of work done before i left for vacation. i will not be checking my email or slack while i am gone. it’s time for a break. work has been extremely busy and we are doing a lot of restructuring. it will be good in the end but it’s that very uncomfortable period of time where there’s a lot of change happening and not enough people because we need to hire, sort of thing.

anyway, middle of the day, after lunch, i’m DRAGGING. like it’s taking everything i have to send emails. i chalk this up to end of week fatigue, which wouldn’t be wrong, EXCEPT.

E X C E P T.

i had put a dropper full of rescue remedy in my water cup today to try and support my stress load, etc. i won’t actually travel without rescue remedy, it’s a good time. 

i just discovered… I PUT THE SLEEPING RESCUE REMEDY IN THE WATER INSTEAD. 

https://a.co/d/0rDrk5p

CAN CONFIRM IT WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!!!!!

🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠🫠

i need a vacation 😂

ps: did i mention i’m breaking in a new pair of shoes tomorrow? 😅

happy to report that we breezed through security and are now in the new united club at terminal A. 

19 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

...and here I thought you were a pro...

🤔😍

my new shoes are like walking on a cloud!!! 

IMG_7847.thumb.jpeg.f5aa8c906adc5467a9205a442466ac3a.jpeg

highly recommend these platform birkenstocks. they are supportive and easier to maneuver in than most of my other birks. 💚

2 hours ago, MaryS said:

I love those shoes❤️.  

thank you!! they will feature heavily throughout my dinner attire choices on the cruise as well 😂

we are seated and ready for takeoff ✈️ just confirmed my bags are on board also 😊

i’ve never been so happy to be going somewhere warm and bright. 

our dinner plans are up in the air for now. we plan to hit up publix at some point. contemplating grabbing something light from there 🧐

we landed VERY early! 

time to get off this plane and into the sun. 😎

1 hour ago, GregD said:

I feel you are in for good things because........It's actually sunny and nice here for a change!!!! I'm sending you all the good vibes I possibly can. I'm seriously jealous because we love Oasis. 

thank you!!!!!

we will strive to have all the fun on oasis for you guys!!!

30 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we landed VERY early! 

time to get off this plane and into the sun. 😎

thank you!!!!!

we will strive to have all the fun on oasis for you guys!!!

Yay! Just you are starting just as we are going home. This is a perfect way to pass the time! Enjoy Oasis. We’ll be on her in 36 days! 

quick update:

we had major uber shenanigans. 

i ordered an uber comfort, because they are newer/bigger with extra legroom. we have always gotten a midsize suv or hybrid SUV with the comfort. 

well they picked a camry. 

and our bags would not fit. 

so the driver pulled up, looked at the bags, and said he couldn’t take us. and that we had to cancel the ride. 

we did. 

and then 5 mins he came back, got OUT OF HIS CAR (this is where i became concerned) and asked if we were good. and i was like sir we cancelled like you asked. and he said well i’m back here. 

…not for us!!!!!

then the second uber arrived and the app wasn’t working so none of the driver’s messages were coming through. he was 5 feet away and almost left. 

….thinking i may try lyft next. 😳

12 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

I hope you don't get charged the fee for cancelling!

we did but i fought it 😬

okay update!

we made our publix run. this time i finally noted the la bamba sign for @Lovetocruise2002IMG_7854.thumb.jpeg.9cf0030351db635ed84c83693319e2e3.jpeg

on our walk there, we heard the ship horns of a departing cruise ship! if we didn’t have to go get some supplies and the checkin process had not devolved the way it did (more on that tomorrow), we would have hiked up the bridge to watch. alas. 

publix was a ride. i somehow wound up with two kinds of chips, a huge bag of smartfood, multiple waters (hint blackberry and the white box vita coco pressed coconut water), and a yogurt for tomorrow. 

i know there is an included breakfast but we typically avoid the mayhem. 

i’m already looking forward to my bed and sleeping 😂 i can’t wait to lay flat. 

we went back and forth with a couple options for dinner but ultimately settled on shake shack. it felt safe 😂

now we are just sitting outside in the calm florida warmer air and taking it all in. 

we typically would be just arriving now, so it’s weird to have all this extra time on our hands. 

we are in for the night! 

the shower pressure was almost non existent and the water was tepid at best 🫠 

i never thought i’d be looking forward to a space tube shower so much in my entire life 😂

dinner was what we needed; low key and relatively quiet. i find that i crave peace on travel days because there’s so much to manage and do. 

after dinner, we walked for a bit and saw the empty port everglades and caught a nice bit of the sunset behind the clouds. 

it’s 6:58pm and this pre vintage is looking forward to laying flat and reading her kindle for the rest of the night 😂

IMG_7859.jpeg

IMG_7860.jpeg

I'm glad you made it safely and relatively shenanigans free.

I notice in Miami they don't assume you will have big luggage and end up with a prius or something small.....or they pull shenanigans and show up in a car not on the app.

But we sail on Freedom in May  so I may check put labamba.

Also I consider myself pre-vintage. Cuz I find myself shaking my fist at tiny humans,  clutching my pearls at bad behavior, and going to bed before 11 on cruises 🤪 🙃

we got up and walked to see the ships in port and then hoofed it to starbucks and back. a good walk! about 2.5 miles or so; symphony, ascent, holland america, disney and caribbean princess in port.

IMG_7867.thumb.jpeg.0b3b9637acdcd3992f398968477c550f.jpegIMG_7868.thumb.jpeg.f0f3e798d27c014802cad80e8ebc704e.jpegIMG_7869.thumb.jpeg.fbfa4144b83e08221b2c615e9a65ad79.jpegIMG_7869.thumb.jpeg.fbfa4144b83e08221b2c615e9a65ad79.jpegIMG_7870.thumb.jpeg.8dd52e495fd505b494f41bfd57ae5ec1.jpeg

my mom is getting texts from royal to come later because of the inspection but we are getting notifications in the app to come at 10:30. so we will see what happens. we are planning to split the difference in time.

i just priced out an uber and a lyft and so far lyft seems cheaper. 

i did a trial for uber 1 just for this trip and i swear to you the fares have gone UP since i agreed. 

grabbed a protein shake and almond milk for my coffee at starbucks but not feeling super hungry. will probably wait until we can get closer to being on board. 

time to change and pack up!

my best friend just texted me that a major storm is headed our way 😅🫠

we are in our lyft to the port. we should be there just before 10. which would be far too late if we were actually the 10:30 boarding time but if royal is to be believed, we aren’t supposed to arrive until 11:30. 

it’s going to be what it’s going to be. 

now some details about our stay. 

we stayed at the holiday inn express on 17th street. we started staying here when J and i first began cruising together. the rate was just about $185-210 a night. and that was good for us. 

but i can say that will be our last stay there. 

the rooms are now close to $400 a night and it feels like the only thing we are paying for is the included breakfast, which we do not even eat. 

when we arrived yesterday, it was a total scene at 3pm. i was checked in by a young man who seemed a bit newer, which was fine, except he announced our room number loudly. so i immediately requested another room. they had us on floor three, which i thought was unusual because i didn’t recall even seeing a floor three in the elevators we usually take. there was no direction from the checkin which elevator to take, they had to call me back to sign off on the registration form but that was it. 

turns out, we went to the wrong elevator. so we had to get off with all our luggage and traipse through the lobby again to go to floor three, in the other elevator, which immediately gave me a bad feeling. the bad feeling turned out to be correct, because we were deposited in the older section of the hotel (HOW ARE THEY CHARGING $400 A NIGHT FOR THIS) and the room was not clean. 

there was paint peeling off and the room was tiny and cramped; nothing like the usual room we stay in times past here.

so we went BACK downstairs and got assigned a third room which was better and ultimately wound up being where we stayed. i will say the in-room AC unit is rough because it goes off at the worst of times and then we melt of heat at night. also i feel slightly like it’s just blowing moldy air into the room. (we know i am a germphobe, guys 😂)

IMG_7853.thumb.jpeg.435febe6207ecad81b247db31973579d.jpeg

there was also almost no water pressure to speak of, and the water got lukewarm at best in the shower. 

i never thought i’d look forward to a hot space tube shower so much in my entire life 😆

the good news is, we slept. we got up the morning and acquired some supplies 😂 and now we are heading to the ship.

anyway, enough negativity!! 

our lyft came promptly and seems to be a sane and safe driver. i think i am done with uber and their shenanigans!!!!

also. we have SO much luggage, guys.

IMG_7873.thumb.jpeg.1caa4cb9574a26c914729bd6536e63ec.jpeg

and you know most of it… is mine. 😆

6 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@asquared17 can you do me a favour and see if Portside BBQ is open for lunch today? In my app, it says it does not open until 5pm on embarkation day, but I suspect that is wrong.

you got it!! 

we are planning to head there for dinner tonite, but we will make sure to see if they are avail for lunch for you 💚💚

31 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

we stayed at the holiday inn express on 17th street. we started staying here when J and i first began cruising together. the rate was just about $185-210 a night. and that was good for us. 

but i can say that will be our last stay there. 

the rooms are now close to $400 a night

This is how I feel how I feel about this property as well. We have stayed here so many times over the years, but they have jumped their price considerably, and for what they offer, I would rather spend that money elsewhere. That is one of the reasons we picked the Hilton in December when we sailed Odyssey. And definitely agree about that older part of the hotel, no thank you. 

And the amount of luggage! Omg lol

You guys know this but obviously no judgment ever meant in my comments... if something makes you happy and you can afford it, awesome!

Being as frugal as I am, I can obviously cut costs by sailing interiors with group rates, not doing a ton of specialty dining (although that's more personal preference), etc. But the prices of hotels and airfare I see mentioned boggles my mind. I am thankful and feel spoiled that we can drive an hour to PC. Between cost and other factors, I'm not sure I'd be cruising if I couldn't drive to a port... as much as I love it.