Returning to the "Scene of the Crime"...........NOT!!!!

It will be two years in February since Mr. & Mrs Geezer took our  first cruise. A birthday gift for Mrs. Geezer. 4 nights on Mariner, Grand Suite, Nassau & Coco Cay, total fare (including port charges, gratuities & travel protection from Royal, $1801. Yes, one helluva deal.

Fast forward to today. For fun,  and at the urging of the 'absolutely last day of the cyber sale' e-mail, I looked up the same itinerary, same ship, same accommodations; it even falls on the same calendar days (Feb8-12th). Fare & port charges, nothing else....................over $6900!!!!! 😱😱😱

We're booked for a 7 day Caribbean itinerary on HAL (Nieuw Amsterdam) next November in a Signature Suite for $2700 less. C'mon man!!!!!! Yeah, inflation, fuel, corporate debt, demand, yada, yada, but does Royal really have to pay off its debt in one cruise????????????

To borrow from a George Harrison song title.......MY SWEET LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what's up with that? Well, at least we'll have done 5 cruises.

16 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Part of the issue is that it's so close to sailing date. Not much inventory left. 

Not even sure that matters now. Our 5 day Western Caribbean (Cozumel  was the only port) we did last month was booked 45 days out and was just under 2K for a balcony on deck 9.

I get apples to apples comparison of cruise fares with Royal or any other line is like trying to pin Jello to the wall, but Geez........when they say dynamic pricing they ain't lying.

51 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Not even sure that matters now. Our 5 day Western Caribbean (Cozumel  was the only port) we did last month was booked 45 days out and was just under 2K for a balcony on deck 9.

I get apples to apples comparison of cruise fares with Royal or any other line is like trying to pin Jello to the wall, but Geez........when they say dynamic pricing they ain't lying.

Last minute sailings are a huge gamble, and always have been.  I've found some great last minute bargains. I've also been stunned at how high the prices can get in the weeks leading up to a sailing. There's just no telling.

In my experience, a combination of 3 strategies yields the most consistently low prices.

1. Book as early as possible. Ideally, book within the first week or two of the itineraries being announced.
  2. Ask your travel agent if they have any special group rates available.  This works best with travel agents that are affiliated with a large company. MEI does this. So does Cruise Planners.
  3. Check back for lower fares frequently. Ask for repricing if you find a better deal.

1 hour ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Oh, it matters. The only way to get even a hint of decency regarding price is to book out to 2025 at this point. In two days we are going to book Star for Thanksgiving 25 because that one is going to get a bit crazy regarding pricing if you hold off. 

We knew our first cruise was an aberration given it was during the post covid restart and sailing with a 50% capacity limit. As I recall, it was booked under a 60% off  for both  our fares,  Florida resident kicker & a senior discount.  First cruise ever? In a suite? Hell yeah!!!!

Those were the days....... Still, nearly 7K for 4 days on a 21 year old ship?

Our April trip in a Junior suite on Wonder was less (not by a lot), and 3 days longer. I know the cruise lines price by seasonal demand, but the value proposition isn't there for us, but that's us. 

20 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

We knew our first cruise was an aberration given it was during the post covid restart and sailing with a 50% capacity limit. As I recall, it was booked under a 60% off  for both  our fares,  Florida resident kicker & a senior discount.  First cruise ever? In a suite? Hell yeah!!!!

Those were the days....... Still, nearly 7K for 4 days on a 21 year old ship?

Our April trip in a Junior suite on Wonder was less (not by a lot), and 3 days longer. I know the cruise lines price by seasonal demand, but the value proposition isn't there for us, but that's us. 

I wouldn't book that cruise at that price either. However,  if you plan further out or gave greater flexibility on dates, itineraries and ships, you can still get some pretty good cruises for acceptable prices. 

6 minutes ago, Biaggio said:

I hear you Geezer. Affordable cruising is behind us. I have 5 upcoming cruises with RCL that I booked 2 years ago and at these prices I’m done. 🎼 Those were the days my friend….🎶

We've got the HAL cruise next November to look forward to. Wanted to experience something different. Saw Nieuw Amsterdam docked in Aruba alongside us (Jewel) last Thanksgiving and figured why not? Suite under 5K for 7 days, and the a la carte booze cost is cheaper. And we like the smaller  ships. With Brightline service available, we can see life outside of Port Canaveral. 

After that......?

It seems to me that this week's Going, Going, Gone sale has some pretty good bargains (rci_sales_event_USD.docx (rccl.com))

For example, Jan 22, 2024 Voyager of the Seas 5 night, ocean view cabin for $299 per person.

Or an 8 night Symphony of the Seas, Jan 27, 2024 for $979 per person in a balcony.

Or a 9 night Explorer of the Seas for $599 per person, ocean view stateroom.

No matter how I slice it, those prices don't look excessive to me.

Interesting…Everything I read suggests to book far in advance when prices are posted for the best rate.  You’re looking under 2 months out. Guess the only downfall would be cabin selection. Also past the final payment date so you can’t get a reduction on a previously booked cruise. 

1 hour ago, Biaggio said:

Interesting…Everything I read suggests to book far in advance when prices are posted for the best rate.  You’re looking under 2 months out. Guess the only downfall would be cabin selection. Also past the final payment date so you can’t get a reduction on a previously booked cruise. 

well and airfare + accommodations if needed. 

my running joke is that if i ever lived in florida, my family would never see me because i’d always be on a cruise ship 😂 but getting the time off and a last minute flight from NJ would often make the GGG rates as desirable for me. 

however, for the folks who actually are based there, the deals are very good. 

1 hour ago, Biaggio said:

The deals can be very good.  They can also be very lackluster.  Waiting for the last minute is a gamble. This week,  it appears to be a good gamble. 

Imo, you should plan your vacations as far in advance as possible, but check the GGG sale regularly.  If something comes up and it fits your schedule,  then bonus! If not, then you're not really risking anything. 

My point in posting this week's sale, was a response to the thread. It had turned in to gloom and doom. Kinda whoa is me...last minute deals are gone forever. At least for this week,  it doesn't look that dire to me.

14 hours ago, steverk said:

It seems to me that this week's Going, Going, Gone sale has some pretty good bargains (rci_sales_event_USD.docx (rccl.com))

For example, Jan 22, 2024 Voyager of the Seas 5 night, ocean view cabin for $299 per person.

Or an 8 night Symphony of the Seas, Jan 27, 2024 for $979 per person in a balcony.

Or a 9 night Explorer of the Seas for $599 per person, ocean view stateroom.

No matter how I slice it, those prices don't look excessive to me.

How do you get this sheet? Email? Travel agent? Etc.. thank you

45 minutes ago, JFCruise said:

@steverk - How do those fares work? I am looking right on the site. According to the flyer, a Voyager Outside View for 1/22 is $299. But it is listed at $926.

The price is pp before taxes and fees. But there is also only a certain number of rooms at that price. So $299+ the $112 is like $411*2 is $822, if you add grats for two people you can get to the $926

22 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

The price is pp before taxes and fees. But there is also only a certain number of rooms at that price. So $299+ the $112 is like $411*2 is $822, if you add grats for two people you can get to the $926

The $926 was per person, though. But if there are only a certain number of rooms at that price, then maybe they ran out of them.

44 minutes ago, steverk said:

I've never actually booked one. If I found one that fit, I'd call a travel agent 

Me too,  I have no idea how you actually GET these rates.  I doubt that a TA would be too interested in booking a GGG cruise....my guess is their commission is negatively affected....but I don't know that for a fact.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

I have no idea how you actually GET these rates.

If they are actually available you will see them when you go to book a cruise through the website just like any other. A TA can also book them of course.

There's nothing different or special as far as booking goes just b/c the price came from the sale.

16 hours ago, Xaa said:

Or bait and another fish beat you to the score...

My response was to this statement:

18 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

sometimes the prices from the flier will never actually show up.

If the price NEVER shows up, the advertising is classic bait and switch. Nobody beat me to the price that never really existed.

I think you're interpreting one person saying "Never" as being the price never showed up or was never available.  Those two things aren't the same.  One person not seeing the GGG price on some listings is not indicative of Bait and Switch.

Never would mean not for anyone.

It is from a flyer called Going, Going, Gone.  If you don't search until Gone, it means you never saw it, not that it was never there.

5 minutes ago, Xaa said:

Never would mean not for anyone.

I can't prove it but I'm pretty certain some of those prices never show up... for anyone... ever. Others, as you've pointed out, have very low availability and get snapped up quickly.

That said, I don't think there's anything super nefarious going on here. The GGG flier is typically published on Monday and the sale begins on Tuesday. Inventory could change in the meantime and dynamic pricing could kick in and cause certain offerings to never appear.

Regardless, whatever the case, I'd rather have the flier than not, even if it means it's not 100% accurate (which it's definitely not). The last minute cruise I took in October was actually listed at a much higher price on the GGG flier than what I paid.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The GGG rates are legit, but you have to act quickly. There might be one cabin at that rate, but I've managed to get it when watching for the GGG weekly update and pulling the trigger quickly.

Having ONE of something at the price that is advertised is classic bait and switch. It's a long-standing retail practice - "we don't have any more of the $299 televisions advertised, but here are a bunch of $499 and $699 and even more expensive sets you might enjoy." Advertise something to get us into the store/website (bait), then sell us something else (switch).

On 12/4/2023 at 12:27 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

Oh, it matters. The only way to get even a hint of decency regarding price is to book out to 2025 at this point. In two days we are going to book Star for Thanksgiving 25 because that one is going to get a bit crazy regarding pricing if you hold off. 

How did the early Star pricing work out for you?

3 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Having ONE of something at the price that is advertised is classic bait and switch. It's a long-standing retail practice - "we don't have any more of the $299 televisions advertised, but here are a bunch of $499 and $699 and even more expensive sets you might enjoy." Advertise something to get us into the store/website (bait), then sell us something else (switch).

It is not Bait and Switch, it is Loss Leader in the case of GGG.    Classic Bait and Switch the seller never has the intention of selling at the original advertised price.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/bait_and_switch

A “bait and switch” takes place when a seller creates an appealing but ingenuine offer to sell a product or service, which the seller does not actually intend to sell. This initial advertised offer is “the bait.” Then the seller switches customers from buying the advertised product or service that the seller initially offered into buying a different product or service that is usually at a higher price or has some other advantageous effect to the advertiser. This is the “switch.” Normally, the switched product that the consumer buys is usually at a higher purchase price, an increased profit for the seller, or may have a less marketable characteristic than the product advertised.

A “bait and switch” is different from a "loss-leader" sale, which is when a seller specifically notifies the customer that only a limited number of units of a product are for sale at a discount. “Bait and switch” advertising is grounds for an action of common-law fraud, unjust enrichment, and sometimes breach of contract. A “bait and switch” is also a violation of the Consumer Fraud and Deceptive Business Practices Act.

9 minutes ago, Xaa said:

A “bait and switch” is different from a "loss-leader" sale, which is when a seller specifically notifies the customer that only a limited number of units of a product are for sale at a discount.

So it's okay to say "we may or may not have this available" or "sorry, you weren't quick enough to get the ONLY one." Got it. It may not be LEGALLY bait and switch (as defined by Cornell), but it's still deceptive advertising.

I also disagree with the characterization of GGG as a "loss leader." A loss leader is a product or service sold at a price below cost to drive sales of more profitable goods or services. There is no "limited quantity" involved.