Crowns Edge on Icon - charge for booking for Sea Days

44 minutes ago, TheMaxRebo said:

The Crowns Edge activity is now bookable for my upcoming Icon Cruise, at least for Sea Days, listed at $89.99/person .... wondering if will be like North Star and will be "free" on port days

image.thumb.png.25b63a280c702f7bc705867f95f6b161.png

when is your sailing?  it isn't showing on mine yet.  Mine is Aug 2024.  They had said it would be a charge item, I'm guessing they will charge all the time, but who knows.  The insurance liability on that is probably insane.  

11 minutes ago, LandstromCruise said:

when is your sailing?  it isn't showing on mine yet.  Mine is Aug 2024.  They had said it would be a charge item, I'm guessing they will charge all the time, but who knows.  The insurance liability on that is probably insane.  

February 17, 2024 ... I do only see it when logging in the website, I don't see it on the app

10 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

$90 for that? I'm sure it will sell, but jeez, that's insane.

That's a bummer.  I'm part of the problem, because we will pay it and do it.  I was expecting around $40 which I also thought to be high.  I'm not seeing it in mine @TheMaxRebo, is there no listing currently for Port Days?

4 hours ago, Xaa said:

That's a bummer.  I'm part of the problem, because we will pay it and do it.  I was expecting around $40 which I also thought to be high.  I'm not seeing it in mine @TheMaxRebo, is there no listing currently for Port Days?

I am only seeing for See Days for my cruise - and I only see it when viewing on the website, not the app

Little more details, they only have reservations available on those sea days from 11am to 3:30pm - so not sure if those are the only times available or if times outside of that might be no charge or for Key members or something like that

Also, here are the restrictions/requirements:

Minimum age: 6 years
Minimum height: 49 inches
Maximum height: 83 inches
Minimum weight: 44 lbs
Maximum weight: 297 lbs

Here comes that old man with too much time on his hands dragging that ol' soapbox into the public square again.....

Ya' knows... there are established firm policies against climbing on railings or the throwing of things overboard; but now <scratching head> there is an exception and that is unless you are on this thrill ride? The Cloe Wiegard accident, the other kids that have fallen onto the floor of the Centrum, the idiot diving into the water in Nassau; the extending of anything over a cruise ship railing is a No. An absolute, without exception No. It includes things that you are trying to dry on your balcony. It includes fishing. It includes frustrated people throwing their balcony furniture overboard. The penalty for violating this policy on ANY cruise line is overwhelmingly being dismissed from continuing the sailing and let off at the next port. But Crowns Edge is somehow different? Hard to believe...

And another thing, and perhaps more important. The testing of a 44lbs bag of sand in the manufactures warehouse in Bulgaria might yield the results you'd like to see. The mocked up rendition in Miami might reassure decision makers they are making the right choices. Or, at least tell them how far stepping stones should be from one another. But I'm a guy who has been on dozens of cruise ships. And I've been to Labadee a bunch of times too. From my experience on cruise ships I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is always windy as hell on the top deck when underway. More often than not, it is uncomfortably windy. So ya' mean to tell me you are going to allow this thrill ride to happen while at sea? Nobody has thought what happens (for a good example ) when a tall, lanky teenager with no real mass loses all momentum headed into a stiff headwind? Not one of you have been to Labadee to see that it is very commonplace for zipliners to get stuck and not make it to the end? Especially after sand and salt spray has caused corrosion on the cables overtime and slowed the speed of the ride all while increasing friction? 

Finally, I don't know nutt'in about rollercoasters or theme park rides. Especially how they are designed or engineered. But I tell ya' once you get on one of them, that ride is going to bring all its' occupants back to where it originated whether they like it or not. If someone faints, has a medical condition, panics, or even has misgivings....they are forced to return to where the ride originates. This is not the case on the Crown's Edge. So yeah I'm tellin' all ya' alls this poorly designed and not well thought out.

Does this thing make money and pay for itself? Yeah. Is it a unique marketing plus? Affirmative. Is it another example that your cruise fare is just a price for admission and everything onboard is going to cost more money? Does it add to cruisers becoming more competitive with one another and lead to bad behavior? Yes and Yes!

I appreciate anyone who has stuck around this far to listen to me. I apologize distracting from the thought that the discussion is about sign up is available or it's price. I think for $90 you'll be able to do it as many times as you want on your sailing; it's not a one and done thing. <mumbles> Thanks again. <more growling>

<the scrapping sound of the ol' soapbox on concrete fades as the old man slowly walks away>

Anyone remember Sky Pad ?  How 'bout Up, Up and Away ?  These fall into the "seemed like a good idea at the time" category, only to be pretty much failures in the end.  Not sayin' it will be, but the whole Crown's Edge thing seems like it might be one of those, too.  I guess we'll see....  I do hope that everyone who chooses to do this experience have a fun and safe time.

24 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Here comes that old man with too much time on his hands dragging that ol' soapbox into the public square again.....

Ya' knows... there are established firm policies against climbing on railings or the throwing of things overboard; but now <scratching head> there is an exception and that is unless you are on this thrill ride? The Cloe Wiegard accident, the other kids that have fallen onto the floor of the Centrum, the idiot diving into the water in Nassau; the extending of anything over a cruise ship railing is a No. An absolute, without exception No. It includes things that you are trying to dry on your balcony. It includes fishing. It includes frustrated people throwing their balcony furniture overboard. The penalty for violating this policy on ANY cruise line is overwhelmingly being dismissed from continuing the sailing and let off at the next port. But Crowns Edge is somehow different? Hard to believe...

And another thing, and perhaps more important. The testing of a 44lbs bag of sand in the manufactures warehouse in Bulgaria might yield the results you'd like to see. The mocked up rendition in Miami might reassure decision makers they are making the right choices. Or, at least tell them how far stepping stones should be from one another. But I'm a guy who has been on dozens of cruise ships. And I've been to Labadee a bunch of times too. From my experience on cruise ships I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is always windy as hell on the top deck when underway. More often than not, it is uncomfortably windy. So ya' mean to tell me you are going to allow this thrill ride to happen while at sea? Nobody has thought what happens (for a good example ) when a tall, lanky teenager with no real mass loses all momentum headed into a stiff headwind? Not one of you have been to Labadee to see that it is very commonplace for zipliners to get stuck and not make it to the end? Especially after sand and salt spray has caused corrosion on the cables overtime and slowed the speed of the ride all while increasing friction? 

Finally, I don't know nutt'in about rollercoasters or theme park rides. Especially how they are designed or engineered. But I tell ya' once you get on one of them, that ride is going to bring all its' occupants back to where it originated whether they like it or not. If someone faints, has a medical condition, panics, or even has misgivings....they are forced to return to where the ride originates. This is not the case on the Crown's Edge. So yeah I'm tellin' all ya' alls this poorly designed and not well thought out.

Does this thing make money and pay for itself? Yeah. Is it a unique marketing plus? Affirmative. Is it another example that your cruise fare is just a price for admission and everything onboard is going to cost more money? Does it add to cruisers becoming more competitive with one another and lead to bad behavior? Yes and Yes!

I appreciate anyone who has stuck around this far to listen to me. I apologize distracting from the thought that the discussion is about sign up is available or it's price. I think for $90 you'll be able to do it as many times as you want on your sailing; it's not a one and done thing. <mumbles> Thanks again. <more growling>

<the scrapping sound of the ol' soapbox on concrete fades as the old man slowly walks away>

SO.... the only thing I have on this is that it does clam to bring you right back where you started.... you go up, you walk across, get "dropped" from the ledge, and the zipline whips you back to the starting point. But you make some good points about wind and movement of the ship...I see it being shut down almost as often as the balloon on Coco cay or the Aqua show is due to wind or weather related issues. 

I don't want to step on anyones buzz. I don't want anyone to overreact, including myself. This is a big feature of the new ship and they made the lightest bags of sand they could find work so this means that anyone can participate; if they want to. Great.

But I am also the guy who finds fault with nearly every waterslide that Royal has installed, so consider the source.

47 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Anyone remember Sky Pad ?  How 'bout Up, Up and Away ?  These fall into the "seemed like a good idea at the time" category, only to be pretty much failures in the end.  Not sayin' it will be, but the whole Crown's Edge thing seems like it might be one of those, too.  I guess we'll see....  I do hope that everyone who chooses to do this experience have a fun and safe time.

I was reading after I booked that the 15 minute experience is mostly getting in jump suit, harness, and instructions.  The "experience" is only 90 seconds.  That's $1 / sec.  I'll probably cancel.

9 hours ago, Xaa said:

I'm going to assume Crown's Edge won't be in operation while in port for two reasons. First, Royal can't really control the airspace around their ship. For example, if somebody flies a drone in then suddenly there's a potential safety hazard outside the company's control. Two, if there's any accidents on the line then there's less witnesses (and recordings) in the middle of the ocean. An accident in port means there's a chance somebody just made an excellent recording from a good vantage point (and uploaded to the Internet a short while later).

6 hours ago, ScottD said:

Ain't no way any 6 year old I know is doing that, lol. But I guess some of them are little daredevils 

My daughter might have been the daredevil category when she was 6 - she climbed everything that seemed remotely climbable from the time she was 1. She was essentially climbing things in the house before fully walking, like the bars on the exterior of our staircase. Couldn't keep her from diving over and over into the ocean at 2 years old, plus could do monkey bars before turning 2. Climbed up and jumped off a cliff in Mexico when she was 8. I think she might have been more likely to do it at 6 than now at 16...

2 hours ago, Aron_Ross said:

When I found out what they are charging for this, my mouth literally hung open.  Will this price fluctuate depending on the sailing?  The cheapest ICON sailing I'm seeing is for $1651.00 Now assuming that's for an interior and one STILL has to pay that price for Crown's Edge, that is just INSANE!!  

I don't mind a fee to keep lines down and accessibility possible.  I don't think it needs to be 90 bucks to accomplish that, but with RCI, it's not what should it cost, it's what can it cost.

15 hours ago, Xaa said:

I don't mind a fee to keep lines down and accessibility possible.  I don't think it needs to be 90 bucks to accomplish that, but with RCI, it's not what should it cost, it's what can it cost.

Yes I agree with you on that.  I'm ok with a fee, but $90 is just excessive.  When I see pricing like this, it just makes me shake my head and become turned off by Royal.  I have done four sailings with them in the past year and decided to continue to try other lines.  Of course, that doesn't mean I won't return to Royal, but for me they have pros and cons just like the rest of them.  For example, sailed on Navigator of the Seas out of LA for the 3 day, and did the same a few weeks ago on Carnival Radiance.  I actually liked the food better on Carnival (I'm no stranger to Carnival btw), but Navigator as far as a ship goes, blows Carnival Radiance away!  

On 11/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, bobroo said:

Not one of you have been to Labadee to see that it is very commonplace for zipliners to get stuck and not make it to the end? Especially after sand and salt spray has caused corrosion on the cables overtime and slowed the speed of the ride all while increasing friction? 

Have you missed the news stories about people getting stuck on rollercoasters?  Sometimes upside down?  Rides are actually designed with multiple stopping points along the track for evacuations in the event of an emergency.  There are often stairs alongside the rails in those sections so that people can just get out and climb down.  But those are only useful if the emergency causes a controlled stoppage under control of the operator.  Other emergencies may cause the cars to not stop in an official stopping place.  Then the fire department has to raise their ladders and help people out one at a time so it can take hours.

I say that not to scare people but to point out that returning to the origin is not actually guaranteed by the design of the ride.  Whether zipline, rollercoaster, or Crown's Edge, evacuation and rescue is absolutely part of the design and training of the operators.  Pre-Covid (and pre-kid) I was a half-decent indoor rock climber.  I constantly put my trust in the ropes, clips, carabiners, harnesses, and other safety gear required.  I have to believe similar equipment would be used for Crown's Edge and would have no fear stepping over the side of the ship while properly clipped in.  Of course, I'd like to think I would recognize if I were not properly clipped in and I realize most people will not have that option.  There's supposed to be a thrill element that comes with feeling a bit unsafe.

1 hour ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

So how long before the waterpark on Icon is an upcharge as well? 

I'm expecting either The Key having private hours or a priority line pass instead of straight up charging for waterpark access. This provides a unique draw on the front end (book Icon class and your kids have an accessible waterpark aboard every day!) and an up sale opportunity (You want to play more than wait more, right? For only $15 per person, per night of your cruise, you can skip the regular lines at Category 6 during operating hours.)

1 hour ago, Rackham said:

and an up sale opportunity (You want to play more than wait more, right? For only $15 per person, per night of your cruise, you can skip the regular lines at Category 6 during operating hours.)

If they design the staircases correctly they could definitely have dedicated fast pass lines and sell those..or early access wristbands for early AM hours.