Don't get hurt in Mexico.

silentfaith

14 hours ago, Biaggio said:

Not shocked Xaa, I’m a motorcycle enthusiast. 

I don’t find it an inviting place where solders are patrolling the beach with AR-15s 

I guess you aren’t setting foot in Europe either. 

I’ve never seen soldiers with AR-15s on a beach in Mexico (and I am in Mexico ALOT)

15 hours ago, Biaggio said:

Not shocked Xaa, I’m a motorcycle enthusiast. 

I don’t find it an inviting place where solders are patrolling the beach with AR-15s 

Cozumel is a different ballgame. I share your same sentiments about mainland Mexico but Cozumel seems safe. I doubt the cartels want to waste time with turf wars on that little island. I personally wouldn’t go to Cancun, Tulum or even Cabo at this point and assume the elevated risk of getting robbed or kidnapped by the cartels (especially with young children in tow). And as far as the scooters go in Mexico or even the Bahamas for that matter, you are embarking on a death mission and will be killed or seriously injured by the garbage they pass off as a motor vehicle. 

You don't want to get hurt at all on any cruise, and you certainly don't want be cruising without travel insurance and your passports.

Some years ago my husband and I were on MSC a 12 night cruise that visited South America and Panama (the ship didn't go through the Panama Canal) before returning back to Miami.  My husband go sick and MSC medically disembarked us in Panama. Although they said someone from the ship would follow up no one did.  The MSC Divina sailed away and that was the last we saw or heard from MSC and we were on our own.  I'm a world traveler many of you already know I work for an airline but I had to keep my husband who was clearly sick calm because he didn't want to go to a hospital in Panama and it took 4 hours for Panamanian Authorities to process us and let us in the country.  It also cost us over $600 dollars (cash no credit or debit card accepted) to enter the country (not sure if that charge was legal or not but I was not about to argue but I was adamant about getting a receipt).   They called us a cab and God bless us with an awesome taxi driver he drove us to a pharmacy, he waited in the car with my husband while I went in to get him some pain medication. We are in Colon Panama its now night time we have no place to stay and all our luggage the guy drives us to this hotel and was like it is safe and its clean  nobody is going to bother you he told us.  He asked us where we were going tomorrow before we got out the cab.  I was like I need to get to Panama City tomorrow because I need to get my husband home to Chicago as quickly as possible and PTY is the only airport with daily nonstop service to the U.S.. I just needed to get my husband back to the US and if we couldn't make it all the way to Chicago at least we would be in the U.S..  He said okay I'll be back tomorrow just tell me what time does the flight leave. The guy showed up not only on-time but early called the hotel front desk had them call our room and he drove us all the way from Colon on one side of Panama to Panama City's international airport on the other side of Panama . For all of that (picking us up from the port, driving to the pharmacy, finding us a safe and yes clean hotel, then driving us all the across Panama to the airport ) he only charged us $100 dollars I gave him a $150 dollar tip which at first he refused and I was like no you made my life so much more easier because I'm still dealing with my sick husband. 

Luckily we had our passports (I never cruise without a passport), luckily we had travelers insurance not only did they cover all our expenses (except the tip I gave the driver) including the outrageous medical charges MSC charged us.  They also reimburse us for the remainder of the cruise that we didn't get to enjoy.  Before this incident it never entered my mind that a cruise ship could just throw you off in any country and sail away.  Luckily I was prepared and thank God that he was looking out for us as well.  This is why I now tell people always  always always have your passport ( they don't care if you have your passport or not when the ships doctor and chief security officer make a determination to disembark you you have ZERO recourse and when they say representatives will reach out to you to make sure you are okay, LIES.....  That is nothing but a lie you are on your own).  And always, always, always, have travelers insurance, with travelers insurance as long as you have receipts they cover it.  I didn't have to argue, with the representative all I had to do was  fill out the paperwork she sent me online and submit it will all my receipts and they covered everything. 

We've booked a cruise for next November, and for the first time bought a travel policy not sold by the cruise line. Inclusive as it was, it contained a 'high risk activities' exclusion, which pretty much included everything anything on land or water involving a motorized conveyance, ziplines, any other activity involving height, diving, and on and on. Of course there is an additional cost rider you could purchase for that.

And the linked story posted? Old news. Local media in Orlando market covered it over 2 weeks ago.

But count me among the advocates of a passport over not having one, and as robust a travel policy as one can afford. We have exclusively booked cruise line sponsored excursions and take the recommendations/cautions posted with them to heart. Figure I'm close enough to my expiration date without hastening the process.....