From Canada…to Canada: Discovering Liberty, Eh? – LB 08/24/23 – 09/02/23

Lovetocruise2002

We left the cabin at 8:00am. Let Lorena at Boleros. Disembarkation was speedy and no issues. However, we waited almost 30mins for Lyft and then security took another 30-40mins at the new Terminal A here at EWR. So from cabin to gate it took us 2hours total. LyftXL was $35.62

I just remembered that I never did final thoughts for the cabin.

We had Cabin 8414. As many of you already know, this was a 2 Bedroom Grand Suite. There was more than enough space for all 4 of us. Perfect setup for our family. Gave us separation from the kids but still kept them with us. Like I mentioned, Liberty is a bit tired. There were signs of that in the cabin too. But we still enjoyed being in that room.

Sad to report though that for us, we never got used to the superstructure in the way of the wake. I would probably not book an aft cabin on Freedom class for this reason, unless it was specifically for the 2 bedrooms. None of us really enjoyed the balcony as much this cruise, partially because of the weather on sea days, and I think we all agreed that those beams really messed with the views. 

13 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Thank you all for the well wishes for a safe trip home. So far flight is still a go. And the best part? @PPPJJ-GCVAB every few years I take a year off, and this coming school year is my year off, so no classroom to go back to on Tuesday! 

What!!!!

I think that wraps up everything for this cruise. Again, ask away if I forgot something. No sailing for us now until Odyssey for New Years. We are all pretty excited for that one!

In the next few months, my sisters and I are headed to NYC for a girls trip, Hubby is headed to Arizona for a boys trip, and the freeloaders are going back to school 😁

3 minutes ago, Sweety said:

What!!!!

Yes lol. Ever since having the kids, I take a year off every few years. Our school board has a great plan for that. I have taken advantage of that over the last ten years and some. This is my last one though. After this year off, it will be the home stretch to retirement. And that “Hell to the Bell” cruise 😂

Vacating the room by 8am, such an ungodly hour! Universally the worst part of any cruise. I feel like your trip was over in the blink of an eye!

The only question i forgot to ask was if you saw any anti-cruising signs in Bar Harbor? I watched a YT video the other day, and there was some clear resentment (shop owners posting signs on their doors with things like 'come back as a real tourist,' etc).

Well I'm glad you made it to the airport safely, and now i hope the plane cooperates!

18 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think that wraps up everything for this cruise. Again, ask away if I forgot something. No sailing for us now until Odyssey for New Years. We are all pretty excited for that one!

In the next few months, my sisters and I are headed to NYC for a girls trip, Hubby is headed to Arizona for a boys trip, and the freeloaders are going back to school 😁

Looking forward to an Odyssey Live Blog ... we are on her in JAN 2025.  We will send a detailed list of scouting to do.

😉

Thanks for taking us along for the ride ...

Curt from Canada

4 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

The only question i forgot to ask was if you saw any anti-cruising signs in Bar Harbor? I watched a YT video the other day, and there was some clear resentment (shop owners posting signs on their doors with things like 'come back as a real tourist,' etc).

No, we did not see anything like that at all. And everyone there was really nice, I would never have been able to tell if you didn’t mention that. Going to have to go home and look that up. 

4 minutes ago, Curt From Canada said:

Looking forward to an Odyssey Live Blog ... we are on her in JAN 2025.  We will send a detailed list of scouting to do.

😉

Yes, feel free to! Not a problem at all! 

3 minutes ago, Curt From Canada said:

😉

Thanks for taking us along for the ride ...

Curt from Canada

Curt, what Odyssey sailing are you on? It may be a hard sell to my better half, but we're booked on the 11 night 1/5 (he just doesn't know it yet 😀). I wanted the 12 night, but there were no rooms left that we wanted by the time i realized booking had opened. 

Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

No, we did not see anything like that at all. And everyone there was really nice, I would never have been able to tell if you didn’t mention that. Going to have to go home and look that up. 

Yes, feel free to! Not a problem at all! 

Careful ... you have not seen the list yet.  Think 4th year University Deformable Solids Class difficulty.

😉

Curt from Canada

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Laughing so hard at this! 

Oh our friend will tell you! 

I had to clandestinely email her from the same room Batman & I were in together to put a hold on the cabin. And then the next day, i had to call her from my car outside my nail salon to process the deposit because i was finally alone 😆.

He is not a fan of the GLs, so this should be good. However, it will be a birthday cruise for him and i think I'm going to sell it as his retirement cruise. Odds are about even, though lean slightly in my favor because i know exactly how to ask for what when ....  😂 

3 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Curt, what Odyssey sailing are you on? It may be a hard sell to my better half, but we're booked on the 11 night 1/5 (he just doesn't know it yet 😀). I wanted the 12 night, but there were no rooms left that we wanted by the time i realized booking had opened. 

Hilarious ... "we're booked on the 11 night 1/5 (he just doesn't know it yet 😀)."

My soulmate gets similar treatment. 😂

JAN 16 (We love Barbados and The Yoda Guy) ... Looks like another scouting report will be available (tell your better half that you have an assignment now).

Curt from Canada

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Yes lol. Ever since having the kids, I take a year off every few years. Our school board has a great plan for that. I have taken advantage of that over the last ten years and some. This is my last one though. After this year off, it will be the home stretch to retirement. And that “Hell to the Bell” cruise 😂

Lucky you! My wife has been back to work for like a month already. 😭

24 minutes ago, Curt From Canada said:

Hilarious ... "we're booked on the 11 night 1/5 (he just doesn't know it yet 😀)."

My soulmate gets similar treatment. 😂

JAN 16 (We love Barbados and The Yoda Guy) ... Looks like another scouting report will be available (tell your better half that you have an assignment now).

Curt from Canada

On it! I love Barbados so much, and I'm bummed our sailing doesn't stop there.  However, since we'll be getting off (god willing) when you get on, i'll leave you an Easter Egg to find. I have 491 days to think about what that Easter Egg should be. Could be slightly dangerous. Could be funny. Will be amusing, though probably only to me. 😇

17 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Because of the lights that don’t go off? Or the having to climb the stairs?

Both 😃

But, I'll be awaiting your full report on the stair light sitch on Odyssey. 😊

53 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Forgot you are like me…keeping secrets about cruises from Hubby!  Our cruise is Nov 6 and he was just told about it this past Tuesday night (8/29).  So by my calculations you have until October 26 to break the news!  😂 

13 minutes ago, asquared17 said:

@SweetPea i am dying at batman not knowing about the odyssey cruise 😂😆 

😀 Batman checked in for our Oasis cruise this month and didn't notice the "you have 3 upcoming cruises" banner. He knows about Oasis obviously. He knows about Symphony in May. Hmmm, what could the 3rd be? 

Full disclosure: i hid his readers before he started check in.  😬 🤭 

1 hour ago, SweetPea said:

it will be a birthday cruise for him and i think I'm going to sell it as his retirement cruise.

This made me laugh! I have a similar strategy….it’s either a birthday or anniversary cruise.  How can hubby complain when you sell it like that. Plus mine still hasn’t figured out that we have a genie even as I tell the driver to “go to the purple banner”  🤣 

2 hours ago, SweetPea said:

... i'll leave you an Easter Egg to find. I have 491 days to think about what that Easter Egg should be. Could be slightly dangerous. Could be funny. Will be amusing, though probably only to me. 😇

I am certain our gang will have a blast.  Some boundary conditions, if it is hidden:

• on any Dance Floor, it will be found by the end of Day 2
  • in and around the Flowrider, it will never be found
  • in the Schooner Bar, it will be found by the end of Day 3
  • in the Bionic Bar, it will never be found
  • in the Cafe 270, it will be found on Day 1
  • in the North Star, it will never be found
  • in the Music Hall, it will be found by the end of Day 2
  • in Adventure Ocean, it will never be found
  • in the Windjammer, it will be found by Day 7
  • in the Fitness Club, it will never be found
  • in the Ripcord, it will be found by Day 5
  • in the Sky Pad, it will never be found
  • on the running track, it will be found by Day 3
  • anywhere on the ship AND we max out our drink package, we will never be found 😉

Looking forward to looking ...

Curt from Canada

On 9/2/2023 at 10:18 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are on Odyssey right before you - however we are in an inside cabin....

On 9/2/2023 at 9:21 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I am so jealous! Nothing like this in Texas. 

I'm stealing the "hell to the bell" phrase! I love it! #8moreyears

I could retire in December of 2029, but if I go until Dec 2031 it will increase my yearly pension amount by $5,000. Texas' retirement math is funky & state legislature has not given a cost of living raise to retirees in over 20 years. So even when I retire from public school, I will continue to teach adjunct at the college level online to supplement my income. Gotta pay for cruises somehow. LOL! 

9 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

I could retire in December of 2029, but if I go until Dec 2031 it will increase my yearly pension amount by $5,000.

I started teaching in September 2000. The year 2030 makes an even 30 years for me. I told Hubby long ago, regardless of what my pension is at that point, it's time to go. So that is as long as I am willing to stay. I even made sure that I paid back all my pension contributions when I took maternity leaves when I had the girls. Depending on how much teaching changes over the next few years, I might even be tempted to go before 2030. But the end is definitely in sight, and that is a good feeling! 

14 minutes ago, kadmgs said:

I could retire in December of 2029, but if I go until Dec 2031 it will increase my yearly pension amount by $5,000. Texas' retirement math is funky & state legislature has not given a cost of living raise to retirees in over 20 years. So even when I retire from public school, I will continue to teach adjunct at the college level online to supplement my income. Gotta pay for cruises somehow. LOL! 

Sounds like some of the nonsense my wife will be dealing with here in FL. After 30 years she can continue teaching while receiving her pension at the same time for up to 10 years (it's called DROP, whatever that means, could be an acronym, I'm not sure, lol). One of the big issues for her (aside from how underpaid tenured teachers are here) is that her retirement comes with no health insurance benefits of any kind so there's a big gap between 30 years and medicare when you start teaching right out of undergrad.

On the plus side, she almost never takes days off so she has enough saved up to get paid for an entire year without working (or cashing them out when she actually retires which is what she plans to do).