Off the beaten path recommendations for Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel?

Bowen

We'd like to do an excursion in at least one port, but we like to do things in our own little group of 10 ish people. We did the monkey/sloth thing in Roatan last time and it was a lot of fun. The guide even took us to his buddy's house and opened up coconuts for us so we could drink the water. It was really a great excursion. Is there anything more personalized like that that any of you would recommend in any of those three ports?

Thanks!

• Bowen changed the title to Off the beaten path recommendations for Roatan, Costa Maya, and Cozumel?

We actually have a cruise booked on the Wonder leaving December 3, going to all these places.  We booked an excursion in Roatan that does the "glass bottom boat" and the the monkey/sloth park.  We've been to Cozumel before and did the ruins, this time we're doing the Jeep, hidden ruin and beach excursion.  We haven't been to Costa Maya before so I'm interested to see that place.  You have the right idea, I think sometimes finding something a little different is a lot more fun!  

15 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

We have a private tour booked in Cozumel via Viator. It's just us, the guide, and the vehicle. We get to choose where we go based on our desires from a list of about 10 things/places. Maybe something like that?

This was my first thought.

We did something exactly like that in St. Kitts last year and had one scheduled in Roatan in 2019 but high winds kept the ship from docking. 😭

We'll be trying a Roatan re-do with the same guide next Summer. We want to see sloths/monkeys but he was also going to take us to his home town, visit a local school to donate school supplies, etc. So some touristy stuff and some not so touristy stuff.

3 hours ago, SimGuy said:

In Costa Maya, look into Maya Chan Beach.

Ex-US pat owned/operated.  Nothing resort fancy just good food, good drink, great service, and they love groups.

Quiet and relaxing.  $60 US/person and everything is included.  Even transportation.

I second this!

Roatan Fun Tours basically did a private all day tour for two of us for about $150. Started with sloths and monkeys, did the rum and chocolate factories, snorkeling, had fried lobster for lunch and watched others zip line. 

Costa Maya - Taxi to the beach village. Lots of shopping stalls, restaurants, bars and $25 an hour massages... 

Cozumel. We did KaoKao chocolate factory tour then spent afternoon snorkeling at "money bar". Had enormous plate of nachos two cokes each for about $15 and they let us stay for several hours...   😄

The last two times we were in Roatan, we used Rony's tours with driver Arnold. He was great both times. You can organize your own tour and he'll take you wherever you want to go. The first time we went to a local supermarket (just something we like to do), took us a high point with the ship in the background for a photo op- also local vendors with items for sell. Took us to the Rust Nail and Chocolate factory. Stopped for a couple hours in West Bay for beach time (this did cost extra for the resort- don't remember the price-wasn't expensive). We then stopped for lunch at local place high above the ship and had awesome fried shrimp.

The second time he took us to the glass bottom boat (extra cost for boat). He took us to the non-touristy side of the island which was a change and also back to some of the same places on the first visit. 

Arnold is fantastic!

1 minute ago, Rage Shifty said:

The last two times we were in Roatan, we used Rony's tours with driver Arnold. He was great both times. You can organize your own tour and he'll take you wherever you want to go. The first time we went to a local supermarket (just something we like to do), took us a high point with the ship in the background for a photo op- also local vendors with items for sell. Took us to the Rust Nail and Chocolate factory. Stopped for a couple hours in West Bay for beach time (this did cost extra for the resort- don't remember the price-wasn't expensive). We then stopped for lunch at local place high above the ship and had awesome fried shrimp.

The second time he took us to the glass bottom boat (extra cost for boat). He took us to the non-touristy side of the island which was a change and also back to some of the same places on the first visit. 

Arnold is fantastic!

Good to hear. The tour I mentioned above that we never go to do in 2019 b/c Harmony couldn't dock due to high winds was with Rony.

Sorry for the potential hijack, but wanted to ask a related question.  I see a few recommendations for Rony's tours & Getaway tours, has anyone used Victor Bodden tours?  They have a private tour that is 100% what we're looking for, but I'm sure we could custom-build it at either of the suggested vendors if need be.  Just looking for a potential comparison if anyone had one.

11 minutes ago, USCG Teacher said:

Sorry for the potential hijack, but wanted to ask a related question.  I see a few recommendations for Rony's tours & Getaway tours, has anyone used Victor Bodden tours?  They have a private tour that is 100% what we're looking for, but I'm sure we could custom-build it at either of the suggested vendors if need be.  Just looking for a potential comparison if anyone had one.

I've read good things about him too, his operation is just on a larger scale from what I've gathered. When researching our original Roatan trip in 2019 (when we couldn't dock), we chose Rony because he was smaller and offered a trip to visit his local school to donate supplies which my teacher wife liked. We actually left a large duffel bag full of supplies onboard Harmony. After signing papers with some officer behind guest services we were told they would drop it off later that summer but I think someone dropped the ball and Rony never got the donation.

Anyway, I'm sure both are good, we just tend to choose the smaller company, all things being equal. Also, I believe Victor owns his own large sloth/monkey habitat (I could be wrong) whereas we plan to go to a smaller one that's part of a national park or something and supposedly less crowded.

In Cozumel, my recommendation is go to Mercado Municipal Benito Juarez to eat cochinita pibil. It's one of the most delicious things you can eat. The place is literally a market - so it's nothing fancy. But the food stalls have some great cochinita.

I was last there about 5 years ago, and my wife and I ended up eating a whole bunch of tacos and gorditas and I can't even remember what else. We ended up paying about $15US total.

Last time I went to Cozumel in 2019 (with NCL, not Royal), XPLOR park was an excursion my group of friends scheduled. It’s a zip line/cenote/cavern swimming/jeep jungle driving experience that was 100% worth the money for me. It’s definitely a high key/active excursion but really made my cruise experience. Between zip lining  above large swathes of trees and highways, through waterfalls, and the included buffet, couldn’t have asked for a better end to the week. 

Keep in mind that it’s a bit of a drive/boat ride from the Cozumel port, though still accessible. It’ll probably be one of the more expensive day experiences but is worth every penny. 

We used Roatan fun tours- had a few packages, all VERY Reasonable. We did one with like 5 stops (chocolate and rum factories, a local craft shop, sloth\monkey\bird sanctuary, roatan sign and a beach bar for lunch and beach time. It was like 48 bucks a person, I think. Tour guide was great, let us skip a stop (rum factory) in order to check another one out longer. Gave us a full tour of the whole island, which is absolutely eye opening when you see the areas away from the port and tourist stops. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of vendors, about 4 city blocks long. Crazy Lobster is a good place to eat. Most places have chairs and tables on the beach. The vendors can be a bit pushy, you just have to be firm with them. Take a taxi for $4 a person one way. There are places that offer all you can eat and drink. I'm sure others will chime in on those.

We really enjoy going to Mahahual when calling at Costa Maya.  We go to the Krazy Lobster and get a $20 1 hour massage on the beach.  That location can have issues with sea grass at times, so your experience may vary based on that....but overall, it's a nice, relaxing beach day and that is something we almost never do (beach day).  You will find $1 Coronas and some tasty snacky kinds of food.  Nothing spectacular, but it tastes great b/c it's right on the beach !

Yes, there are roving vendors on the beach.  Be prepared for that.  Just kindly decline and they will move on. ...but there will be another one right behind them.

A tip regarding the beach massage....  If you decide you want to do that, be SURE that you do not enlist the assistance of anyone (usually someone working at the Krazy Lobster will offer to help you "find" a massage) to arrange the massage.  If you do, the experience will immediately double (or more) the price of the massage.  It is VERY easy to arrange the massage on your own.  Just walk down the beach a couple of steps until you see one of the massage tables set up and negotiate your price.  Of course, they will try and get more money from you, but just tell them that you have been here many times and never paid more than $20 for an hour massage.  We always tip generously b/c we aren't trying to take advantage...but $20 should be your starting "bid". 

Good luck !  

As far as unique and off the beaten path recommendations for Mahahual, truthfully there are not many to be had. Remember, 15 years ago it was a small fishing village that had some hippies living in it. It has come a l-o-n-g way since then. However, one of my favorite restaurants in all of Mexico is located there, it's called No Hoch Kay. I believe they have the best guacamole in the world! And I love chilling under their palapa; all restaurants in the Caribbean should have a sand floor.

As far as off the beaten path for Costa Maya, I'd say just enjoy and recognize the port for what it is. It is extremely well designed. And, not every shop is the usual Diamonds International /Senor Fogs/ Cariloha suspects  There are shops that are unique and locally owned. Bravo Costa Maya Port Authority!

6 minutes ago, bobroo said:

However, one of my favorite restaurants in all of Mexico is located there, it's called No Hoch Kay. I believe they have the best guacamole in the world! And I love chilling under their palapa

We went there several years ago after booking a last minute cruise and a couple of more popular/well-known all-inclusive beach clubs were sold out. We absolutely loved it! It looked more like a small hole in the wall type place but the drinks were good and the food was even better. After having some standard Mexican fare, I was chatting with the manager (I think) and he started asking about what I liked to eat. I eat anything and everything but I said seafood b/c I don't eat it a lot (wife is very picky) and I was looking at the ocean at the time. He asked about shrimp and garlic, so I said sure, and he said he'd have the chef make me something off the menu. It was some sort of simple garlic shrimp and rice dish but it was amazing.

We spent the day chilling under our palapas, occasionally going in the ocean, and drinking tamarind margaritas (I think that's what they were). I also remember a dog that seemingly lived there napping under my lounger for at least an hour, lol.

I'd love to go back but every Western Caribbean itinerary I wind up on leaves Costa Maya at like 2pm and I just wouldn't want to have to leave so early. Someday...