Own luggage

JanD

Hi Guys

Does anyone know if you can take your onboard luggage onto the ship on embarkation day and put outside your cabin (we know our cabin number) instead of handing it to the porters and waiting for it to be delivered to your cabin later on? Many thanks

You CAN bring it on but it would have to stay with you until they allow access to the cabins.  The hallways are closed until then so you can't just drop it outside your cabin.  If you board early enough that could mean hours of lugging your luggage around the ship including to lunch.  You likely wouldn't make many friends trying to push luggage through the buffet line and seating areas.  If you're willing to wait to board until 1:30-2PM, then you're likely to be able to go straight to your cabin.

I think you might encounter some resistance with security if you try and bring large bags into the terminal.  They make you drop your bags outside for a reason.   Most large bags would struggle to get through the security scanner.  Even if the bags would fit through (which they most likely would based on an experience we had in Bayonne), security might give you a hard time about putting them through the scanners.  Honestly, it’s probably not worth the hassle you would most likely encounter.  If you have only carry-on’s then you wouldn’t have a problem.

It has to fit through the x-ray machine AND you must be capable of dragging it up the gangway to the ship.  Once on board you have to drag it around until cabins open.  

Probably not a great idea with kids or family members that will struggle and block gangways.  However if you are capable and able, as long as it fits through the x-ray machine.

24 minutes ago, PL8SWPR said:

Have no idea why you would even want to to do this.  Much more hassle than it's worth.

I haven't checked luggage in about 50 cruises.  It's much more convenient unpacking as soon as cabins open without having to check to see if luggage has arrived every 30 minutes. Before there was eMuster I used to be unpacked and ready to cruise long before it was muster time.  

While I do not carry on my luggage onto a cruise ship, I must say that I have had more damage to my luggage done on cruise ships or with porters at the docks that with the airlines. I have been on over 50 cruises and have to fly to all of them.  I do carry on my carry-on bags and my other luggage is just over carry-on size. I no longer have large luggage.  But I always carry off all of my luggage. 

13 hours ago, twangster said:

I haven't checked luggage in about 50 cruises.  It's much more convenient unpacking as soon as cabins open without having to check to see if luggage has arrived every 30 minutes. Before there was eMuster I used to be unpacked and ready to cruise long before it was muster time.  

There's always that one...🙄