James Van Fleet no longer with RC

21 minutes ago, Geezer Of The Seas said:

Funny, but airlines have managed for years with contract/private meteorologists, none of which probably pointed at a green cloth in front of a camera in a TV studio, reading their script from a teleprompter. 

Maybe that was an on air Zoom audition for the intrepid Mr. Van Fleet? 🤔

Airlines used to fly into storms and planes crashed.  No one warned them not to.  Modern pilots learned a lot about what not to do based on mistakes made by others before them.

For the purpose of weather you can't compare aviation with ships.  Airlines fly fast and can delay a departure to wait for the computer projected clear weather.  They are nimble and can quickly fly in another direction.

Ships move slowly and can't always sail in every direction, for example when near land, their movement is unlike an airline that fly in any direction over land or water.  

He was there 6 six years so whatever audition he submitted seemed to work.   

34 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

I don't think the question was if cruise lines need a meteorologist.

My question is, if they are struggling financially, would an unknown face be cheaper for them than a popular local TV weatherman?🤔

It really depends what the goals for the position are.

Did James Van Fleet turn the position into customer facing with videos and social media interaction or was that the goal all along?  IIRC they sought a met with a TV background.

Plenty of companies have inhouse meteorologists that are not TV celebrities but rather low paid younger graduates who are churning out reports and advisories.  

Is that what Royal wants?  A never seen by the public back office worker churning out data for consumption by bridge crews and management but never in front of a camera?

Royal may desire to have a TV personality so that they can create content, interact with guests and put guests at ease.  

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal may desire to have a TV personality so that they can create content, interact with guests and put guests at ease.  

I think this was the whole reason he was hired to begin with. Much easier to fix things behind the scenes to ensure another Anthem doesn't happen than it is to convince future guests of the same.

23 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I think this was the whole reason he was hired to begin with. Much easier to fix things behind the scenes to ensure another Anthem doesn't happen than it is to convince future guests of the same.

It's also a convenient direction to point the finger if something does go wrong.  A CYA for the executive team.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The question you posted was about an itinerary.  Not about weather on the next cruise.

Setzer is right to defer to the captain when he receives questions about itinerary changes.  How would you have preferred he respond the the twitter question?  It wasn't even a question about weather.  It was about the ship and itinerary.

15 minutes ago, Xaa said:

So your beef is that he didn't say there weren't' any changes now?  He did say the second part that the captain will be making announcements.

Not something I need from a weatherman.

He's going out of his way to avoid any contact with the public. Maybe that's what RC wants out of his role.  But I think that's a huge gap.

On 8/27/2023 at 11:43 AM, smokeybandit said:

As I feared, he doesn't look to have any interest in being a passenger-facing resource.

It looks like you're correct.  Vision is supposed to be in Bermuda today, just checked and she's headed to Nassau.  Per Royal's travel updates page, there are no itinerary changes at the moment.  While I agree with the itinerary change due to hurricane Franklin, the total radio silence from Royal is a bit disappointing.  Weather happens, it's no ones fault and a risk you take sailing this time of year but let's be adults and communicate.  I miss the daily regional updates from Van Fleet!   

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...