Quantum of the Seas Not Stopping in Skagway

I was recently looking at a Quantum Facebook page and saw that Explore Skagway which is run by the Skagway visitor department says that Quantum of the Seas will no longer be porting in Skagways on Thursdays in 2023. Does anyone have any clue why? So far, royal still has the stop listed and so does the Alaska cruise ship calendar. 

Yeah we are on a June sailing and I've been seeing rumors both ways all over Facebook. I've even seen two different posts saying they reached out to the mayor of Skagway and one says it is true and one says it's still happening. So I'm not holding my breath one way or the other until I hear official word from Royal or the cruises start. 

image.thumb.png.5dced4756bc8b2f207f3474c03d9236c.png

image.thumb.png.81bb79027a5155813d464489a0f68dc9.png

If you do a search on just Quantum of the Seas (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruises?search=ship:QN&sort=by:PRICE|order:ASC), you'll see that MOST of the Alaska cruises in 2023 and 2024 by the ship are from Seattle and go to Skagway. There are a few itineraries that do not, but MOST do. 

Skagway has put in a lot of work to maintain the dock area due to rock slides in the area, but Juneau is the only cruise port that has restrictions on amount of ships allowed to visit per day (and even that doesn't start until 2024). 

Royal isn't going to be able to say Yes/No to Skagway since Quantum has various itineraries that do and do not visit the port. Go by the schedule on the web site. Better yet, you can check Cruise Mapper's port schedule to see when Quantum is there.

image.png

image.png

17 minutes ago, Cactus527 said:

Royal isn't going to be able to say Yes/No to Skagway since Quantum has various itineraries that do and do not visit the port. Go by the schedule on the web site. Better yet, you can check Cruise Mapper's port schedule to see when Quantum is there.

Just as a quick check, Quantum is visiting Skagway 4 times in May 2024 based on the port schedule. 

@Cactus527 Yes, Quantum is currently still scheduled to go to Skagway this year and next year.  But that doesn't address the rumors that it's about to be removed from those schedules.  I've no idea how to judge the strength of the rumors but Royal's website isn't going to change until something is announced (if there's ever anything to announce).

Our group is splitting between two tour operators in Skagway (the ONLY excursions we've booked because this is a fun port). I've emailed and received answers from both for our 5/29 sailing:

"Yes, this is correct, however, this happened last year and then the ship changed their mind (after I had cancelled all tours).  We are waiting to hear from Royal Caribbean so that it is confirmed by them."

"Yes we have heard some rumblings of a change in the Quantum's schedule, but nothing official has been announced. There was a major rock slide that damaged a dock last season and the issue this season is that they aren't sure if the new dock can support a ship as large as the Quantum. All that being said, yes, we will absolutely let you know as soon as we have official word and will keep this reservation until a final decision is made."

I know nobody likes to hear rumors that might effect their long planned out cruise, but personally I'm the prepare for the worst type of person and would rather be aware so I can have other options ready in the back of my mind. Of course I hope there are no changes, but I really hope we don't go to Ketchikan because there are already 5 ships in port that day. Icy Strait only has 2 but appears to be smaller and have much less to do so three ships could be an overwhelming number. I'm not sure there's another option besides those two.

Been following this on social media. Seems Skagway Visitor center is saying no Quantum to people who have called. One set of cruise ship docking reports shows no Quantum. Then you have Cruisemapper saying "Yes Quantum is going to be in town as scheduled. Then Royal says they are going or "maybe"? I remind y'all that a week or two ago Juneau vanished off the RCL radar. Wasn't showing on itineraries, cruise planner, or anywhere. It popped back a few days later like nothing happened. I hope this one does too. Skagway is neat little town and I know people want to go badly. Many based their reservations on it. 

I get a kick out of "I just talked to them (Skagway visitor center)" then  post a text response from them. Same exact response each time. They didn't "talk" to people. They texted and got  back automated responses! Meanwhile Brilliance is in Juneau right now and headed to Skagway to arrive tomorrow morning.

2 hours ago, F1guynz said:

I have generally found that Royal Caribbean will contact you via email if there are any changes to itineraries or time in port, so until you receive an email from them, I would assume you are still going.

Looks like it’s official. Just got this email for our Sept 11 Quantum sailing. 

IMG_9567.jpeg

22 minutes ago, deButler said:

Looks like it’s official. Just got this email for our Sept 11 Quantum sailing. 

We're on that sailing too! I am so sad to miss the White Pass train. Ughhhhhhh this does not make me happy. And why would this have effected our arrival into Sitka as well??? I am contemplating postponing a year. 

We're on the May 29th one, Skagway got swapped to Ketchikan and moved the day for Sitka.

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Last season, landslides in Skagway, Alaska impacted the pier where our ships dock. While repairs have been ongoing, they won't be ready for two large ships visiting simultaneously. So, to ensure we provide you with the best experience, we’ve replaced our visit with Ketchikan, Alaska. To help make up for this change, we’ve added an extra 2.5 hours in Sitka, so you can explore and enjoy everything this beautiful destination has to offer! We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. Nevertheless, we’re excited to sail away with you! Below, please find our revised Quantum of the Seas May 29th, 2023 itinerary.

Day

Port of Call

Arrive

Depart

Mon

Seattle, Washington

4:00 PM

Tue

Cruising

Wed

Ketchikan, Alaska

8:00 AM

4:00 PM

Thu

Sitka, Alaska

7:00 AM

5:00 PM

Fri

Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier

5:00 AM

10:00 AM

Fri

Juneau, Alaska

1:00 PM

9:00 PM

Sat

Cruising

Sun

Victoria, British Columbia

5:00 PM

10:00 PM

Mon

Seattle, Washington

7:00 AM

Ketchikan sits at the southern end of Alaska’s Inside Passage – a gateway to the wild landscapes and seascapes of Misty Fjords National Monument. The canned salmon capital of the world, it’s a hub for fishing and outdoor sports. It’s also home to three tribes of Northwest Coast Native Americans, making it a great place to get a taste of the local culture. If you want to get up close and personal with nature, venture into the Tongass National Forest, the largest national forest in the United States. Whatever you decide to do, we know you’ll have a memorable time!

Any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions booked for Skagway will automatically be refunded to your original form of payment. Our Shore Excursions team will automatically reschedule any pre-paid Royal Caribbean International shore excursions affected by this change. In the meantime, feel free to browse all the exciting shore excursion options for your sailing in Cruise Planner to level up your vacation.

Thanks for your understanding. We can’t wait to welcome you onboard Quantum of the Seas!

Sincerely,

Aurora Yera-Rodriguez
AVP | Guest Experience
Royal Caribbean International

I was hoping this was just another rumor myth. I guess its not. I feel bad for those who got shifted but both Ketchikan and Icy are pretty good.  Getting mad at RCL wont help. It wasn't them that left a monster boulder on a compromised hillside above the dock that could drop any second. They have other docks in town but Quantum is just too big for them. While this whole thing sucks better to be safe...

On a competitor Cruise line next week and currently still show Skagway as a port stop.  Maybe it might be that only one large ship can port there at a time due to the landslides and RCL doesn't have priority docking privileges in Skagway?  Just my guess other than Carnival Corp. purchased the White Pass/Yukon Railway in 2018 so they have a bigger stake in that port.

image.jpeg.158d7cd44ed1180da0260e60631d81a0.jpeg

Biggest hassle I see is that looking to do some things now is that due to the change, specifically in Ketchikan, some of the venues are sold out.

The change has put us to the back of the line for excursions.  

Sitka was day 2 and is now day 3.

Ketchikan was not a port stop and now it is day 2.

For what it's worth, we are cruising on Ovation the last week of July ('23). Skagway is still as of today on the itinerary.  I did read an article about "hot berthing" last night - essentially, half way through the day they move the larger ship out and move a smaller ship in; all the while, the larger ship runs on a semi-alert the whole time. It also noted that the White Pass Rail company owns the docks, and are on 8-10 hour watch for any rock movement when ships are in port.

Ships in port our day are a Celebrity Millennium Class, a Silver Seas ship, an NCL and our RC. I believe those first 2 are smaller class ships.

Received an email from Royal Caribbean that our itinerary has changed due to damage at the pier caused by rockslides last season. I received a second email cancelling and refunding our White Pass Railroad excursion so it's true. I do not however see a way to book any of the fun things are Icy Strait Point and not sure if we'll be able to since this was kind of a last minute change.

Screenshot_20230504_155845_Gmail.jpg

On 5/4/2023 at 1:09 AM, DDaley said:

We're on that sailing too! I am so sad to miss the White Pass train. Ughhhhhhh this does not make me happy. And why would this have effected our arrival into Sitka as well??? I am contemplating postponing a year. 

Not sure yet what we’re going to do. We have a group of 10 of us going on this sailing so I’m sure we’ll have to start looking at new excursions in ISP.  It’s a shame that we’ve also LOST time in other ports rather than the “ADDED” time RCCL claims in their emails. 😂😂  I look forward to hopefully meeting up once we get onboard if you decide to still go. 

On Quantum of the Seas beginning May 22.  Juneau has been absent from our online itinerary for the last few days.  I'm guessing this is an IT glitch, since the email I got from Royal about the Skagway stop being cancelled still showed Juneau.  But right now, our day 5, which should be Juneau, simply shows "At sea."  I also can't find any excursions for Juneau.  It kind of gives one an uneasy feeling.  

Update:  I just got off the phone with Royal.  They sent me an updated invoice for the cruise and it does show Juneau for day 5, from 1:00-9:00pm.  

Edited by clanhill
New information

On 5/4/2023 at 9:49 AM, BigKarl said:

On a competitor Cruise line next week and currently still show Skagway as a port stop.  Maybe it might be that only one large ship can port there at a time due to the landslides and RCL doesn't have priority docking privileges in Skagway?  Just my guess other than Carnival Corp. purchased the White Pass/Yukon Railway in 2018 so they have a bigger stake in that port.

image.jpeg.158d7cd44ed1180da0260e60631d81a0.jpeg

Last year when Quantum couldn't go to Skagway in September, and with the engine issues, they canceled the Dawes Glacier portion, I cancelled and switched to the Discovery Princess, which went to Skagway the same day Quantum was going to.  The dock could only have 1 large ship at the time, while smaller Holland America and Norwegian ships docked at the other docks in town.