Can I bring an electrical bicycle on a cruise?

I’m going to the Norwegian Fjords and saw that one of the most popular things to do is to rent a bike at each port. Although the price to rent a regular bicycle or an electrical bicycle is not super high ($25 to $50 per port), it starts adding up quick. Plus there’s the hassle to have to download a different app for every city or sometimes need local currency just for that. So I was thinking if I could bring one of those e-bikes that fold into my cabin to use it on each port? Or if the ship has an area to store it between stops? I checked the list of forbidden items and didn’t see anything about e-bikes. 

1 hour ago, Psycho and Barb said:

Don't have a clue if you can or not but we have seen a group people bring their Harley Davidson's motorcycles on a cruise and ride them in the ports.

Apparently there is a captain that has a motorcycle that he rides in the promenade for some of the parades and parties!  I just saw a picture of it but can't remember what ship!  But to answer the original post, I feel bad because this really seems like one of those things that depends on who you ask. You can call three times and you'll get three different answers. I'd say try it and the worst that will happen is they'll hold it for you until the end of the cruise. But maybe explaining why you have it and that you have no intentions of using it on board may get you on with it

Bringing a road bike aboard is something you'll see from time to time. A totally awesome idea and a great way to get some miles in. Just don't ride them on the pier.

The potential issue with an E bike will be the battery. It's entirely possible you have to chain it to a fence of your debarkation port for a week.

16 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I don't see how an electric bike would be different than an electric wheelchair or scooter at least in terms of battery safety.   Maybe try an electric 3 wheel bike.  But, the OP should probably try and call RCL and find out

The BIG difference between electric wheelchairs and the rest is the amount of testing that needs to go into any medical device. I don't know the testing requirements for a scooter since most scooter users can get up and walk away from a scooter while most wheelchair users can not. But I agree that an electric bike is closer to a scooter than a 'sport gear'. 

For an American cruising out of Europe you'll first need to get an e-bike on a plane.  Most e-bike batteries exceed the size that is permitted on an airplane.  

Recreational devices have different rules than wheelchair and mobility devices so don't try to use allowances for medical devices and apply that to recreational devices like an e-bike.  

I have two batteries for my e-bike and both are way larger than I could ever legally bring on a plane, even the smaller one that came with my e-bike.  The batteries that are allowed on a plane are typically meant to be battery banks that are much smaller when compared to e-bike batteries.  

Then there is the cargo costs that checking a bicycle on a plane come with.  You might want to ask an airline how much they would charge for a bicycle on an international flight each way.  

You may not be savings as much as you think by trying to bring your own bicycle and then there is the issue of transporting it from airport to hotel, hotel to ship, etc.  Plus what if it's raining on the day you arrive in port?  If your trip is premised on riding your bicycle in every port you may end up with nothing to do if the weather is foul on a few days.    

• 5 months later...

Your idea of bringing a foldable e-bike on your cruise to the Norwegian Fjords sounds like a fantastic way to explore the ports without the extra costs and hassles! Plus, you're right; those rental costs can add up quickly.
One thing to consider is insurance for your e-bike, especially while traveling. You may want to look into cyclist insurance, which can cover you for things like theft, accidental damage, and even public liability.
Another practical point—make sure to check the battery regulations for the cruise line and any airlines you might be using. Batteries for e-bikes are usually lithium-ion, and there are often specific rules for transporting them.

7 hours ago, Fairynxis said:

Your idea of bringing a foldable e-bike on your cruise to the Norwegian Fjords sounds like a fantastic way to explore the ports without the extra costs and hassles! Plus, you're right; those rental costs can add up quickly.

This is a fantasy. It does even happen in Key West. You go there and rent a scooter.

• 1 month later...