Nassau - Is it even worth getting off the ship?

skwak

We have been to Nassau several times via various cruise lines.  We have tried and tried to enjoy the port but honestly we find it to be a hard place to like while visiting with a family.  We will be back this January and are thinking of just staying on the ship for that day.

Nassau defenders - what are we missing?  🤨

Are you going on your own next month? If so try getting an all inclusive resort day pass. I liked the RIU, mainly because it's adults only. But if you're going with family who has not been to Nassau before, they may be interested in seeing the island. There's always the option for you to do one thing and your family do something else too.

I've been twice, and I just can't find stuff to do.  I'm sure the resorts are beautiful, but I can do the same type relaxing on the ship with my drink pkg so we aren't getting off the ship.  I'm hoping everyone else gets off so I can have less crowds on the pool deck!  Jane

We felt the same way our 5th, 6th, 7th time to Nassau...

Then we discovered RESORT DAY PASSES.

My favorite was the Hilton Colonial. They used to include drinks with their day pass for a really good price. Now, it's just access to their pool and chairs. But, it's great because it's walking distance.

We've tried a few of the options found here and have never had a bad experience.

image.thumb.png.49318e835f72a9d54ebc95feb2dde925.png

I think this Hilton closed. The Margaritaville hotel day pass is fun (especially with kids as they have a great pool). My only complaint is the staff is slower than slow and getting a cocktail or some food by the pool is a mission. We used to frequent the British Colonial Hilton which had excellent service and the food & drink vouchers were a nice touch. 

On 12/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, skwak said:

We have been to Nassau several times via various cruise lines.  We have tried and tried to enjoy the port but honestly we find it to be a hard place to like while visiting with a family.  We will be back this January and are thinking of just staying on the ship for that day.

Nassau defenders - what are we missing?  🤨

You are missing nothing. My vote would be to stay on the ship and enjoy the pool while everyone is walking around the downtown being harassed by street vendors. 

22 minutes ago, WAYNO said:

For many reasons, folks have favorites and least favorites.  Nassau is at the bottom for me too.  And I can't put a finger on why.  When I see cruise packages including Nassau, I keep looking. 

The only issue with that thought is if you axe Nassau then you almost always axe coco cay. IMHO Coco cay is one of the best stops so we continue to rough it through Nassau. 

On 12/10/2022 at 2:21 PM, tonyfsu21 said:

The only issue with that thought is if you axe Nassau then you almost always axe coco cay. IMHO Coco cay is one of the best stops so we continue to rough it through Nassau. 

Maybe it's my imagination, but I think RC is working Cococay into more itineraries.  They spent big on it and need to keep it busy.  We have a Western Caribbean trip in October going to Mexico and Cococay without a Nassau stop.

Nassau is the price you pay......for CocoCay.

Here's our typical Nassau routine.  Out of guilt, we need to make an effort....off we go to observe the progress of the new piers, pretty views of the waterway, how much larger RCCL boats are over the other ones in port (walk a little taller because of it), watch people losing themselves in selfies and missing the experience trying to capture it, look at the progress of the new cruise port terminal, walk past a dry version of what appears to be a Wet Market feel gathering, walk into Nassau, avoid cars, listen for horns, walk the town, say no to 100 people, begin to feel the need for a beverage, circle back around to the dock area and see the progress made, tell ourselves someday this will be nice when everything is built up, really feel the need for a beverage.....walk 20 minutes back to the boat......go to Chops for lunch and Wonder why we left.  It's the price you pay for CocoCay.

19 hours ago, CharmMicah68 said:

Nassau is the price you pay......for CocoCay.

Here's our typical Nassau routine.  Out of guilt, we need to make an effort....off we go to observe the progress of the new piers, pretty views of the waterway, how much larger RCCL boats are over the other ones in port (walk a little taller because of it), watch people losing themselves in selfies and missing the experience trying to capture it, look at the progress of the new cruise port terminal, walk past a dry version of what appears to be a Wet Market feel gathering, walk into Nassau, avoid cars, listen for horns, walk the town, say no to 100 people, begin to feel the need for a beverage, circle back around to the dock area and see the progress made, tell ourselves someday this will be nice when everything is built up, really feel the need for a beverage.....walk 20 minutes back to the boat......go to Chops for lunch and Wonder why we left.  It's the price you pay for CocoCay.

This very accurately sums up Nassau, although we pretty much bypass the whole part involving stepping foot on land and fast forward right to lunch at Chops! 

On 12/10/2022 at 11:21 AM, tonyfsu21 said:

I must've missed the memo.  Our last two cruises were at Coco Cay, and we missed Nassau.😎

We went to Nassau for the first time in about 25 years in April 2019.  I dived, my wife stayed on board. It was fun.  That was on an Eastern Caribbean cruise which also included San Juan, St. Maarten & Labadee.

Most Bahama & West Carib cruises from the east coast of Florida stop at  CoCo Cay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 7:47 PM, USFFrank said:

Are you going on your own next month? If so try getting an all inclusive resort day pass. I liked the RIU, mainly because it's adults only. But if you're going with family who has not been to Nassau before, they may be interested in seeing the island. There's always the option for you to do one thing and your family do something else too.

What is RIU?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've always opted to stay onboard in Nassau (other than our first time where we did a short walk, bought a t-shirt or two and went right back onboard). Last week when we visited on Oasis, we decided to try something new. Found a tour operator online on the other side of the island that ran dive boat excursions (where you could snorkel, SCUBA or SNUBA depending on the package you chose). The dive shop picked us right up at the port, drove us the 30 min or so to their facility (which was not fancy and under construction so not impressive but I look forward to seeing what it will become) and got us loaded onto their morning dive boat excursion. I think there were 15 of us or so; mainly from the resorts. 

What a fun experience!! We chugged out a ways from the shore to beautiful blue water with coral reefs where we snorkeled, etc, etc. At one point the staff even brought us to an area with sharks and fed them while we watched onboard. We did SNUBA and they were great with us. After the excursion was over, the bus brought us back to the port. We were back to the ship by 1pm or so to enjoy a full afternoon onboard. 

In short, getting away from the resorts and canned experiences was a lot of fun. We got to see more of the island and had a wonderful morning. We definitely see Nassau in a different light now. 

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 12:08 PM, Rakaia said:

We've always opted to stay onboard in Nassau (other than our first time where we did a short walk, bought a t-shirt or two and went right back onboard). Last week when we visited on Oasis, we decided to try something new. Found a tour operator online on the other side of the island that ran dive boat excursions (where you could snorkel, SCUBA or SNUBA depending on the package you chose). The dive shop picked us right up at the port, drove us the 30 min or so to their facility (which was not fancy and under construction so not impressive but I look forward to seeing what it will become) and got us loaded onto their morning dive boat excursion. I think there were 15 of us or so; mainly from the resorts. 

What a fun experience!! We chugged out a ways from the shore to beautiful blue water with coral reefs where we snorkeled, etc, etc. At one point the staff even brought us to an area with sharks and fed them while we watched onboard. We did SNUBA and they were great with us. After the excursion was over, the bus brought us back to the port. We were back to the ship by 1pm or so to enjoy a full afternoon onboard. 

In short, getting away from the resorts and canned experiences was a lot of fun. We got to see more of the island and had a wonderful morning. We definitely see Nassau in a different light now. 

Do you happen to know the name of the tour operator or a link?

• 2 weeks later...