Jump to content

Shows


Recommended Posts

I’m on allure right now.  Just boarded.  Some shows need a reservation.  Besides those shows is there an other show every night, like all the other cruises I’ve been on?  Or are those the only shows?

can’t find the compass either. 
is it on the app?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 2ball said:

I’m on allure right now.  Just boarded.  Some shows need a reservation.  Besides those shows is there an other show every night, like all the other cruises I’ve been on?  Or are those the only shows?

can’t find the compass either. 
is it on the app?

There will be shows that do not require reservations in the longes. The main shows on Oasis class require reservations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Compass will be in your room once its ready. Yes, you can look in the app. It has everything from dates and times. Plus you can add them as reminders but remember  you still have to reserve some shows. The app will indicate that ones that need reservations. Be sure to get on the ships wifi to make reservations. You do not need an internet package for this. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, mamie said:

Compass will be in your room once its ready. Yes, you can look in the app. It has everything from dates and times. Plus you can add them as reminders but remember  you still have to reserve some shows. The app will indicate that ones that need reservations. Be sure to get on the ships wifi to make reservations. You do not need an internet package for this. 

They have stopped that practice of putting the compass in the cabin.  If you are lucky you can get one put in your cabin every night.  Ask your stateroom attendant or ask at Guest Services.

The app should have  the shows.  See if you can get a copy of the entertainment for the week at Guest Services or ask them for a printout.  If things require reservations don't hesitate to make them.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

They have stopped that practice of putting the compass in the cabin.  If you are lucky you can get one put in your cabin every night.  Ask your stateroom attendant or ask at Guest Services.

The app should have  the shows.  See if you can get a copy of the entertainment for the week at Guest Services or ask them for a printout.  If things require reservations don't hesitate to make them.  

 

Last week on Symphony of the seas we were provided a compass every night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

They have stopped that practice of putting the compass in the cabin.  If you are lucky you can get one put in your cabin every night.  Ask your stateroom attendant or ask at Guest Services.

9 hours ago, mamie said:

Last week on Symphony of the seas we were provided a compass every night.

@Pattycruise, what ship were you on?  I think I heard of a ship having problems with their printers.

@mamie, I got a Cruise Compass every night in my cabin on the Wonder too.  One thing I also noticed is that they had Cruise Compasses on racks again in the Promenade (just can't remember exactly where)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Coach9 said:

Does anyone know is RC still bringing on the cover bands to play on the ships? Example U2, Aerosmith, journey

On Symphony they had tribute bands of Elton John and Earth Wind and Fire. The main band played a good mix. It seems the music is back. They also had jazz bands. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Coach9 said:

Does anyone know is RC still bringing on the cover bands to play on the ships? Example U2, Aerosmith, journey

I don't remember on which ships but they has tribute bands for Aerosmith, Beatles, Journey post COVID

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't cruised since before COVID.  However, isn't the Compass in some way, shape or form on the TV in your room.  And the App, at least used to, have the daily list of activities.  Not as complete as the Compass but enough to get you going in the right direction.  Hope not all is lost because of COVID or other reasons.  I'd really prefer to fold up the Compass and put it in my pocket for quick reference, I really don't like carrying my phone around, especially on sea days.  I like to free myself from the imaginary tethering of a phone to my body when I cruise.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When should the reservation options show up in the cruise planner?  Or don't they anymore?  we cruise on Oasis next week and I don't see anything available.  The cruise calendar also only shows a magic show the first 3 nights but nothing else as far as i can tell.  And that shows as a first come first serve show for one of the main theaters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, PG Cruiser said:

@Pattycruise, what ship were you on?  I think I heard of a ship having problems with their printers.

@mamie, I got a Cruise Compass every night in my cabin on the Wonder too.  One thing I also noticed is that they had Cruise Compasses on racks again in the Promenade (just can't remember exactly where)

Freedom in January, -stateroom attendant told me he could not get it for me, guest services had a small pile behind the counter for those who asked.  Anthem for 2 weeks in February, first week told no by guest services when requested one nightly so had to swing by daily. 2nd week guest services said they’d have stateroom attendant put it in my cabin (and it was there, like it used to be pre-Covid, after dinner)

the Adventure in August, Oasis in the fall all announced “enjoy it while you can”.  They plan to phase it out as part of being green.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ctriopelle said:

When should the reservation options show up in the cruise planner?  Or don't they anymore?  we cruise on Oasis next week and I don't see anything available.  The cruise calendar also only shows a magic show the first 3 nights but nothing else as far as i can tell.  And that shows as a first come first serve show for one of the main theaters.

Are you booked on the Wonder?  There are several VLOGS on Youtube that say that Wonder is not fully ready for prime time.  The shows are still missing cast members and many rehearsals just can't happen because of the lack of cast.  I think at least one said that they haven't received all the props, yet.  I can't vouch for the information.  I hope it isn't true.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are on Oasis next week.  Makes sense if you can only make reservations when on ships wifi.  It also makes it hard to decide how to plan for my time dining if I have no idea what the evening plans are going to be for the day.  I guess what surprised me most was that I didn't really see anything for the aquatheater even with the cruise calendar, so hoping that isn't going to be something they have an issue with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The two ships that are not providing a Cruise Compass right now are Allure and Jewel.  Other ships are providing them.

During the period of Omicron some ships reduced printing to do crew shortages on board.  That was the period when otherwise healthy crew had to be put on quarantine ships to appease some ports of call.

While we are mostly past that some ships are still struggling with reduced crew numbers. 

Royal's desire to eliminate the paper cruise compass goes back to when the app first debuted pre-pandemic.  The problem was they neglected to account for the time it would take to manage app content on board.  Historically the cruise director staff would constantly make adjustments to the schedules of events and activities as cruises progressed.  The cruising public never knew because we would get a paper compass in our cabins and we never knew any better.  Getting rid of paper compass seemed like a great idea to someone in corporate but they failed to allocate labor resources to managing app content during the cruise. 

The CD staff didn't have spare cycles to take this on so eventually Royal added a "Digital Manager" crew position on ships.  That occurred right before the the shutdown.  The new Digital Managers never did get into the full swing of their new job as the pandemic hit and cruising stopped right after they had joined ships. 

Given the crew shortages during the startup the idea of no paper compasses once again came into the spotlight but no additional development had gone into the app so they printed the compass until there was no crew to print them when Omicron hit.

1 hour ago, jay1021 said:

Are you booked on the Wonder?  There are several VLOGS on Youtube that say that Wonder is not fully ready for prime time.  The shows are still missing cast members and many rehearsals just can't happen because of the lack of cast.  I think at least one said that they haven't received all the props, yet.  I can't vouch for the information.  I hope it isn't true.  

I am not aware of "several" vlogs.  I know of one or two vloggers that like to make dramatic click bait headlines to garners viewers to drive Youtube revenue. 

I don't think any ship has had 100% of all pre-pandemic shows operating during the restart.  That was a direct result of the pandemic shutdown and the level of effort it takes to launch an entertainment production when the entertainment facilities in Miami were shuttered and have remain so until very recently.  

The Effector's on Odyssey debuted late October despite the ship going into service in July.  That's pretty normal.  

Wonder's cast was set to use the Miami based entertainment facility but then Omicron hit and they couldn't.  So they flew to Marseilles to join the ship and meet for the first time on the ship a few weeks before the maiden voyage with guests.

It's not unusual for a new ship at launch to have some shows become available later.  When Symphony launched in 2018 the Flight show and the Hiro aqua show didn't start for several months after the ship started carrying guests in Europe.  That's pretty common for a brand new ship but "normal" doesn't generate Youtube viewers so when the same thing occurred on Wonder some vloggers tried to make a big deal about it so they could profit from creating controversy.  Normal is boring.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Snowchaser said:

Curious, how quick do show reservations fill up?  We have our first cruise since covid on Symphony coming up in April and we have a late boarding time so will we be behind the eight ball when booking shows?

There are A LOT of new cruisers who are unaware of the need to book reservations and others who feel taking advantage of their drink package is priority so they don’t think about reservations. I imagine you will be fine. Worst case is you check for openings if there are cancellations or show up to the shows to see if there are no shows. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, jay1021 said:

There are several VLOGS on Youtube that say that Wonder is not fully ready for prime time.  The shows are still missing cast members and many rehearsals just can't happen because of the lack of cast.  I think at least one said that they haven't received all the props, yet.

Yes, there are a few shows missing show elements, and the aqua show is only in preview  mode.

It's irrelevant because the performances are outstanding and it's still worth seeing because it's that darn good.

A truth of any new cruise ship is the first few months are always an adjustment period. While we all get excited for new ships, every ship needs a little bit of time to get up to 100% efficiency and it's not unheard of for ships to have work done even after its first few sailings.

In my opinion, you are not doing yourself a disservice by sailing on Wonder in its current form at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, there are a few shows missing show elements, and the aqua show is only in preview  mode.

It's irrelevant because the performances are outstanding and it's still worth seeing because it's that darn good.

A truth of any new cruise ship is the first few months are always an adjustment period. While we all get excited for new ships, every ship needs a little bit of time to get up to 100% efficiency and it's not unheard of for ships to have work done even after its first few sailings.

In my opinion, you are not doing yourself a disservice by sailing on Wonder in its current form at all.

I was just thinking about this yesterday.  I think Royal should make guests sailing on maiden voyages sign a waiver about not complaining about incomplete features and attractions on new ships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apparently I touched a nerve with at least a couple of you on this thread.  First, I know I am very new to this message board.  But, if you can and desire to look, I am a very loyal to Royal person and my post wasn't a complaint/false accusation/what ever.  I also said, my very last words, "I hope it isn't true".  Having said all that, was/is anything I say/said/reported untrue.  Yes, there are far too many VLOGers out there that just like to cause trouble and would complain if you gave them a $1,000.00 but it was with old bills.  But, that doesn't mean that everything out of their mouths is untrue.  If you do a search on Youtube, you can find "several", not sure how everybody else defines "several". if you'd like I can change the word to "some", whatever.  If you search one way, you find a verity, if you search another way, you find a different verity.  I watch so many cruising VLOGS on Youtube, but I believe I even watched one that had a cast/crew member say that several/some of the props for the "Ice Show" hadn't showed up yet, even though the show went on without them, modified or not, I don't know.  That's not saying the Ice Show was bad or even noticeable that props were missing.  Just a reported fact.  I don't think it is a bad thing for people trying to do their own due diligence and research all aspects of what they are paying big $$$ for.  Make sure they are getting everything as advertised and so on.  I personally would not avoid Wonder of the Seas based upon the VLOGS I've seen.  In fact, I'm looking forward to cruising oh her when she comes back from the European season.  I love Oasis class ships.  So far, Symphony is my favorite.   

I fully understand that new things don't always go off without a hitch.  I've opened several (that's 3) new parking garages at the Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport and the Detroit airport and none of them went off perfectly.  The defects/unavailable services weren't, mostly, something that was in our control, it just happened.  That doesn't mean we didn't receive critical critiques from our loyal customers or contract administrator (Broward County). 

Well, never mind.  I don't want to sound like I'm getting defensive or offensive, too badly.  I just want it known that I AM loyal to Royal but I'm not afraid to ask questions or even critique aspects of anything, good or bad.  

Edited by jay1021
Error, I edited in the big red "not", I left it out at first
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Yes, there are a few shows missing show elements, and the aqua show is only in preview  mode.

It's irrelevant because the performances are outstanding and it's still worth seeing because it's that darn good.

A truth of any new cruise ship is the first few months are always an adjustment period. While we all get excited for new ships, every ship needs a little bit of time to get up to 100% efficiency and it's not unheard of for ships to have work done even after its first few sailings.

In my opinion, you are not doing yourself a disservice by sailing on Wonder in its current form at all.

I completely agree, especially the last sentence.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Matt said:

@jay1021 In my response, I was just talking about what others had said online that you heard. Not a slight on you. We're all here to share experiences and thoughts.

Knowing your past on here and your live BLOG, I didn't think you were. I left Facebook for many reasons long ago and I'll not initiate a discussion about that here, so I don't see your live VLOG anymore.  But, my wife does and she keeps me up to date.  If I see her no your live VLOG, I may slip in a question, every now and then.  Your Info videos are among the best.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jay1021 said:

Knowing your past on here and your live BLOG, I didn't think you were. I left Facebook for many reasons long ago and I'll not initiate a discussion about that here, so I don't see your live VLOG anymore.  But, my wife does and she keeps me up to date.  If I see her no your live VLOG, I may slip in a question, every now and then.  Your Info videos are among the best.  

I'm also live on YouTube on Monday nights. No facebook required! 

https://www.youtube.com/c/Royalcaribbeanblog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 3/19/2022 at 4:17 PM, 2ball said:

Thanks all.  Yep all require reservations.  Most offered a couple of times so it is easy to see them all.  There are less shows then nights. 

Was there ever a time where a show was completely full and you couldn’t get a reservation? Do you know which ones were most popular?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was on Oasis in March for 2 weeks, and just completed TA/Europe cruise on Odyssey.  We were not provided with Cruise Compass on Oasis, but we did have them daily on Odyssey.   Both ships did not require reservations at Royal Theater, but the smaller venues sometimes did require reservations.  You could always get into a show, with good seats with or without reservations.  Nothing was ever full.   You cannot book any shows until you are on the ship.  Had a great time on both cruises!  Can't wait for the next one this summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...