Are some areas of activity a bad choice Royal did?

Censored

Have you ever noticed how some venues on board look like they took a lot of time and money to create on a cruise ship?  On Oasis class ships there are up to 6,000 cruisers or more.  Ask yourself how many of those people went rock climbing??    Waited in line for the flow rider?  Played mini golf?  The north star... sky pad  etc etc....  The sky deck for suite guests are hardly used.. with an empty bar at most times.  Private loungers in a sealed off area extremely hot, no pool,   ...the whole area to me is just poorly planned.    NCL has the "haven" Is that a better idea?  The robotic drink makers.... Ive watched it, but dont get it.  That novelty wears off quickly...... to me a waste.   Agree? Disagree?

I

Your opinions on certain amenities/offerings sound like they may not appeal to you, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of others that enjoy them.

As an example, you could not pay me to go on the Flowrider. I have no interest in it, but I know there's lots of others that like it. Different strokes for different folks.

So I don't think these areas/options are a waste. Just not your cup of tea. 

Not every feature or activity appeals to every single cruiser.  That's actually the point, that is the design.  

When you have 5,000 guests you'll never find one activity that appeals to everyone.  The entire concept of Oasis class was to spread out those 5,000 guests so they aren't all trying to do the same thing at the same time.  Royal Caribbean provides a multigenerational family cruise experience.  In order to do that they need to provide activities that will appeal to each generation.   Grandparents may not climb a rock wall but they can watch their grandkids do it.

At the same time on a typical Oasis class cruise there are just over 50% of the guests that have never been on any Royal ship.  The Bionic Bar may be a gimmick to you but it is something that can be marketed as a feature that is appealing to someone who has never seen it before and never been on a Royal ship. 

The Suite Sun Deck isn't packed every cruise but to say it is never used is not accurate.   Why would a suite guest pay a premium for access to a suite sun deck if it was small and packed and you could never get a seat?  They've sized it so that suite guests can usually get a lounger if they want one.  However not all suite guests are sun seekers who want to layout in the sun.  This will vary one cruise to the next.

When someone who has never cruised before looks to pick a cruise ship and cruise line it is often the small details that can sway them into choosing Royal Caribbean.   There are guests who only book Royal just for the Flowriders.  If waiting in line for a Flowrider isn't your thing those guests appreciate you since that means there is one less guest lining up for it - they are very popular.  

There are activities that small kids can't do because of their size and there are activities that old folks won't want to do because of their age.  In the middle are guests that will be drawn to one activity or another based on their personal level of activity and different classes of ships provide different activities for the same reason - so that all kinds of different people can find something that appeals to them.

Our loyalty to Royal is based on the activities you listed above - the main one being Flowrider.  No other cruise line offers this activity.  Some of the smaller / older RCCL ships do not have Flowrider, rock climbing etc, so I would think that those who enjoy the quality and service that Royal offers may enjoy those ships more since they are perhaps not looking for the other activities and amenities mentioned in OP.

We don't do everything, but while we were on Allure and Oasis, folks were participating in all of the activities. I'm too chicken to do the Flowrider, but my wife has done it before. She won't do the zipline, but I plan to finally try it when we sail on Wonder. We both love the slides and Ultimate Abyss... on an on. I do believe it helps disperse the crowds a little bit as well. 

Royal aims to appeal to all audiences, especially families and folks that want to be active. There are many other lines that cut out most of these activities like Celebrity that appeal to those that have no interest. Like retail stores, I'm sure Royal does constant analysis of what gives them the best bang for the buck per valuable square foot, etc. When the Bionic Bar shine wears off, they'll replace it for sure.

It looks like Royal is following in NCL's footsteps now that Wonder has the exclusive suite deck (8th neighborhood) like the "Haven".

Conversely, other lines are apparently starting to copy Royal... MSC has designed a ship with interior balconies and a dry slide... NCL is adding dry slides as well. The exact reason why Royal keeps details of their new ships quiet until the last minute!

MSC (World Europa)...

104-metre-long-promenade-is-half-open-with-breath-taking-ocean-views-scaled.jpg

NCL (Prima)...

primaslide.jpg

I love that there are different things for different people.  My husband and myself don't gamble or drink alcohol.  Some people would wonder how we could possibly have fun without doing those 2 things?   But we love the food, entertainment, solarium, flowrider, rock wall, ice skating later tag, trivia, etc...  I like that there is something for everyone.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Not every feature or activity appeals to every single cruiser.  That's actually the point, that is the design.  

When you have 5,000 guests you'll never find one activity that appeals to everyone.  The entire concept of Oasis class was to spread out those 5,000 guests so they aren't all trying to do the same thing at the same time.  Royal Caribbean provides a multigenerational family cruise experience.  In order to do that they need to provide activities that will appeal to each generation.   Grandparents may not climb a rock wall but they can watch their grandkids do it.

At the same time on a typical Oasis class cruise there are just over 50% of the guests that have never been on any Royal ship.  The Bionic Bar may be a gimmick to you but it is something that can be marketed as a feature that is appealing to someone who has never seen it before and never been on a Royal ship. 

The Suite Sun Deck isn't packed every cruise but to say it is never used is not accurate.   Why would a suite guest pay a premium for access to a suite sun deck if it was small and packed and you could never get a seat?  They've sized it so that suite guests can usually get a lounger if they want one.  However not all suite guests are sun seekers who want to layout in the sun.  This will vary one cruise to the next.

When someone who has never cruised before looks to pick a cruise ship and cruise line it is often the small details that can sway them into choosing Royal Caribbean.   There are guests who only book Royal just for the Flowriders.  If waiting in line for a Flowrider isn't your thing those guests appreciate you since that means there is one less guest lining up for it - they are very popular.  

There are activities that small kids can't do because of their size and there are activities that old folks won't want to do because of their age.  In the middle are guests that will be drawn to one activity or another based on their personal level of activity and different classes of ships provide different activities for the same reason - so that all kinds of different people can find something that appeals to them.

A very thoughtful and insightful answer.  Im sure the researchers for Royal have figured out the math on how much these venue/activities are used.  I hardly saw anybody going down the "dry slides " on Oasis. Rock climbing always sporadic.   The suite sun deck has potential for great improvement .Regardless, different strokes for different folks.... Royal does an amazing job to appeal to many.  Thx!

5 hours ago, Matt said:

Your opinions on certain amenities/offerings sound like they may not appeal to you, but that doesn't mean there aren't lots of others that enjoy them.

As an example, you could not pay me to go on the Flowrider. I have no interest in it, but I know there's lots of others that like it. Different strokes for different folks.

So I don't think these areas/options are a waste. Just not your cup of tea. 

Of course I know that there are others who like things I don't like. The premise of the question was pointing to the investment cost and overall usage of the venue/activity  to determine if it was a good idea, or a bad one.   One day I will muster up the courage to do the flowrider.  

I LOVE rock climbing!!  I'm 60 and hope to rock climb in March on the Oasis!    My last cruise in 2010 on Independence, I rock climbed...I'm older now, but still hope to do it!!  This will be my husband's first cruise and I KNOW he will rock climb, do the water slides etc!  We are big kids!!   (There was always a line, if I remember correctly)

Over time Royal does re-evaluate activities and replaces some of them.  At one time some ships had wrestling and later inline skating areas.  When these activities proved to be used by dwindling numbers they added Flowriders and other activities.  With ships lasting 30 years or more there will be an evolution of activities over the decades.  

One thing my wife and I both enjoy about the Oasis class ships and their amazing amenities is that you can sail on the same ship multiple times and create a new experience for each sailing. 

We are doing our third Oasis class adventure (sailed Symphony twice thus far) on Wonder next month, and since we're traveling with our 31 year old son this time, he and I will try out some things (rock climbing, flow-rider, etc.) that my wife wouldn't be interested in doing at all.

Variety is the spice of life.

Happy sailing! 🙂 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Over time Royal does re-evaluate activities and replaces some of them.  At one time some ships had wrestling and later inline skating areas.  When these activities proved to be used by dwindling numbers they added Flowriders and other activities.  With ships lasting 30 years or more there will be an evolution of activities over the decades.  

That's a great point. Specialty dining is also another good example of "seemed like a good idea at the time". Certain restaurants never went past a couple of ships, and/or have been replaced by other concepts since.

2 hours ago, Edmund said:

The premise of the question was pointing to the investment cost and overall usage of the venue/activity  to determine if it was a good idea, or a bad one

Ultimately, time will tell whether any concept is good or bad investment. There have been plenty of examples of changes to cruise ships some people thought were crazy and ended up being great (see the Sovereign Class "mega ships" as a great history lesson).

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Wrestling, seriously? That's awesome.

21 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

We don't do everything, but while we were on Allure and Oasis, folks were participating in all of the activities. I'm too chicken to do the Flowrider, but my wife has done it before. She won't do the zipline, but I plan to finally try it when we sail on Wonder. We both love the slides and Ultimate Abyss... on an on. I do believe it helps disperse the crowds a little bit as well. 

Royal aims to appeal to all audiences, especially families and folks that want to be active. There are many other lines that cut out most of these activities like Celebrity that appeal to those that have no interest. Like retail stores, I'm sure Royal does constant analysis of what gives them the best bang for the buck per valuable square foot, etc. When the Bionic Bar shine wears off, they'll replace it for sure.

It looks like Royal is following in NCL's footsteps now that Wonder has the exclusive suite deck (8th neighborhood) like the "Haven".

Conversely, other lines are apparently starting to copy Royal... MSC has designed a ship with interior balconies and a dry slide... NCL is adding dry slides as well. The exact reason why Royal keeps details of their new ships quiet until the last minute!

MSC (World Europa)...

104-metre-long-promenade-is-half-open-with-breath-taking-ocean-views-scaled.jpg

NCL (Prima)...

primaslide.jpg

I'm not sure Royal is following NCL's lead with the 8th neighborhood on Wonder of the Seas.  Keep in mind Wonder of the Seas wasn't built for the US market it was built for the Chinese market.  Take a look at the deck plans for Spectrum of the Seas then look at the deck plans for Odyssey of the Seas paying particularly close attention to decks 15 and 16 forward on Spectrum you will noticed a big difference between those two Quantum Ultra ship one was built for the Chinese market the other was built for the US market. Even though Odyssey was designed and built after Spectrum there are no suites located on decks 15 and 16 forward o Odyssey.  With Wonder Royal is making the best of a situation that is completely out of their control and cruisers here in the US and in Europe will be the beneficiaries. 

The one venue I think in a few years time Royal will take look at either updating or even removing is Bionic Bar. It is a great idea and a great show stopper but only once. After you've done it once for me I just felt like it was a waste of time and I could be better service from an actual bar staffed by humans not robots. In my mind if Bionic Bar is on Icon Class ships then that would signal Royals intent on keeping it and my personal opinion does not reflect the opinions of others who may love Bionic Bar. But if it isn't on Icon Class ships in my humble opinion that would signal the beginning of the end for Bionic Bar.

1 hour ago, JasonOasis said:

The one venue I think in a few years time Royal will take look at either updating or even removing is Bionic Bar.

I agree with you regarding the bionic bar, but with a twist.

While enjoying several wonderful conversations with the Food and Beverage Director for Specialty Dining on our last cruise, he brought up some of the operational challenges of the Bionic Bar. He said that it experiences about 20% downtime due to issues with the robotics and that RCL is always evaluating the P&Ls of this attraction to ensure the profitability of the offering is commensurate with the space it takes up on the ship.