Carnival Implements 2 Day Test Requirement as of Sept. 13, 2021

@cruisellama haha I was like wait do they not understand I was talking about testing. I saw the wink and thought you were being extra obtuse. I always forget that this blog is full of nice people.

Oan........ I think testing will be a thing until maybe spring. I believe they will announce 2 day testing soon. I also don't think RCG can really afford to take on anything else. Between the customer service reps, interns and well just plain employees, they haven't really been able to ensure smooth sailing. There has been the B2B botched protocols, crazy unvax lady, the confusion over C&A perks, vax/covid testing confusion, and the general wording of their protocols. I mean both Royal IT and Royal math has been crazy😛.

8 hours ago, Ampurp85 said:

@cruisellama haha I was like wait do they not understand I was talking about testing. I saw the wink and thought you were being extra obtuse. I always forget that this blog is full of nice people.

Oan........ I think testing will be a thing until maybe spring. I believe they will announce 2 day testing soon. I also don't think RCG can really afford to take on anything else. Between the customer service reps, interns and well just plain employees, they haven't really been able to ensure smooth sailing. There has been the B2B botched protocols, crazy unvax lady, the confusion over C&A perks, vax/covid testing confusion, and the general wording of their protocols. I mean both Royal IT and Royal math has been crazy😛.

To me, this testing issue is a greater inconvenience than getting the jabs.  I think everyone  shares the frustration of the constantly moving goal lines, after you comply with something there's a - "wait a minute - now do this....".    Like running a marathon and getting to the end, then they tack on another 3 miles....   If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could hypothesize that by compressing embarkation test opportunities, you make it much harder for those who must fly into a port from greater distances; hence you begin limiting convenient cruise opportunities to passengers' local ports/regions.  (almost looks  likes like evolving isolation of the guests by continent:  N America, Europe, Asia etc ) That keeps guests, who have to use air travel experience on their way to a ship to inner continental flights.   You have to be an adaptable enthusiast to jump through all the new hoops.  I have a number of bookings lined up, but I will not make anymore new ones until I get through these late '21 early  '22 events.   Overthinking it as usual.

2 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

To me, this testing issue is a greater inconvenience than getting the jabs.  I think everyone  shares the frustration of the constantly moving goal lines, after you comply with something there's a - "wait a minute - now do this....".    Like running a marathon and getting to the end, then they tack on another 3 miles....   If one were a conspiracy theorist, you could hypothesize that by compressing embarkation test opportunities, you make it much harder for those who must fly into a port from greater distances; hence you begin limiting convenient cruise opportunities to passengers' local ports/regions.  (almost looks  likes like evolving isolation of the guests by continent:  N America, Europe, Asia etc ) That keeps guests, who have to use air travel experience on their way to a ship to inner continental flights.   You have to be an adaptable enthusiast to jump through all the new hoops.  I have a number of bookings lined up, but I will not make anymore new ones until I get through these late '21 early  '22 events.   Overthinking it as usual.

I got vaccinated solely so that I could cruise without dealing with this garbage.

If I have to deal with the garbage anyway I will probably go find something else to do pretty soon.

19 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I got vaccinated solely so that I could cruise without dealing with this garbage.

If I have to deal with the garbage anyway I will probably go find something else to do pretty soon.

And that is exactly the conclusion the CDC wants you to reach.

I'm NOT going to cancel because %$#^ the CDC.  I am not going to let them win.  

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  I would hate to get to the port and find out I can't board.  But I think the lines should bring in a test contractor, in the terminal area,   so the embarkation test can be the most current (which is what they should want to show).  Heck - add it to the price of the cruise.  There needs to be a better job at making these added requirements seamless when you're paying $$ for a vacation.  I think if they adopted that model, those coming from greater distances would have a desire to mitigate risk on their end before getting turned away at the port.

8 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  

While true, PCR tests don't tell you if you're infectious or not, just if you've been exposed to the virus at some point in the last several months.

It's quite disappointing we're still using test strategies that are a year or more old and that with all the brainpower we have, there hasn't been a more accurate test created.

3 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

In these times, its probably prudent to know your "infectious" state before you get on a flight to a port.  I would hate to get to the port and find out I can't board.  But I think the lines should bring in a test contractor, in the terminal area,   so the embarkation test can be the most current (which is what they should want to show).  Heck - add it to the price of the cruise.  There needs to be a better job at making these added requirements seamless when you're paying $$ for a vacation.  I think if they adopted that model, those coming from greater distances would have a desire to mitigate risk on their end before getting turned away at the port.

I took an MSC cruise when they were including antigen testing in the terminal.  It worked out pretty well.  I was just under one hour from walking in the door to walking on the ship.  

The problem with this approach is with unknown positive cases showing up at the terminal and waiting in the same waiting areas as everyone else for their test result. The person two seats away in the waiting area gets called out with a positive test result.  I was six feet away for 45 minutes.  Am I a close contact now?  Do they flag everyone in my waiting area?  

The benefit to advance testing is keeping unknown positive cases away from the port entirely.  

It's also interesting to see the different expectations placed on cruise lines.  Should airlines test everyone boarding a flight?  Should a resort in a beach destination test everyone arriving?  Should Vegas test everyone going to gamble?  Should Amtrak test everyone boarding a train?  Why should cruise lines be required to do what no other vacation is required to do?

2 hours ago, twangster said:

And that is exactly the conclusion the CDC wants you to reach.

I'm NOT going to cancel because %$#^ the CDC.  I am not going to let them win.  

I agree with the sentiment but with about $20,000 sitting on various cruises at the moment, I am about ready to back off and go do something that isnt going to have me wound up and irritated.

2 hours ago, cruisellama said:

When we did the Freedom in July we had an unvax party member with us, the testing in the terminal was no big deal.

If it was just that for the whole group I wouldnt have a problem, but its having to chase down tests for all the party and have backup plans and backup backup plans, etc

1 hour ago, twangster said:

It's also interesting to see the different expectations placed on cruise lines.  Should airlines test everyone boarding a flight?  Should a resort in a beach destination test everyone arriving?  Should Vegas test everyone going to gamble?  Should Amtrak test everyone boarding a train?  Why should cruise lines be required to do what no other vacation is required to do?

Because the f'ng CDC says so. 

Just got back from a Walgreens rapid test 2 days before my Sunday cruise.  

My standard approach has been PCR test at 3 days (because CVS here only has PCR tests but offers them 2 weeks in advance) followed by a Walgreens rapid test (because Walgreens only offers tests within the next 48 hours but they are rapid).

Each is a backup to the other in case the facility closes or lab screws up.   

And just in case both CVS and Walgreens let me down I have the Binax proctored test 6 pack as my final back up which I can do the day before the cruise if it really comes down to it.

As someone who has been getting tested within 2 days for a number of cruises the switch to 2 day testing will have no impact on my ability to cruise.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

Just got back from a Walgreens rapid test 2 days before my Sunday cruise.  

My standard approach has been PCR test at 3 days (because CVS here only has PCR tests but offers them 2 weeks in advance) followed by a Walgreens rapid test (because Walgreens only offers tests within the next 48 hours but they are rapid).

Each is a backup to the other in case the facility closes or lab screws up.   

And just in case both CVS and Walgreens let me down I have the Binax proctored test 6 pack as my final back up which I can do the day before the cruise if it really comes down to it.

As someone who has been getting tested within 2 days for a number of cruises the switch to 2 day testing will have no impact on my ability to cruise.

Seems like the time is ripe for  a frequent tester loyalty program.  🤣    The "Swabee" program? 

I am sure, not really a conspiracy theorist, that the CDC keeps moving the goals because they don't want cruising happening. From a scientific standpoint I get that 2 days is better than 3, as 3 day was better than 5, but come on! Work with me people! The lines are doing way more than other business and yet the CDC keep trying to flux it up. As I travel from Chicago to the ports, I am only required to wear mask. I don't have to show vax proof or negative test to stay in hotels. Granted I want to cruise, its been 2 years since I went on an actual vacation. But like @twangster I refuse to book anything else until things become a bit more standard.

25 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

But like @twangster I refuse to book anything else until things become a bit more standard.

What?  I'm booking more every week.  It's a great time to cruise.  No lines, no elevator wait.  

My test results from this morning just came in...

1718022971_ScreenShot2021-09-03at11_48_48AM.thumb.jpg.c4aceaaf8513bb92046a013f48d15919.jpg

I'm cruising this weekend!

Bring.  It.  On.    

3 hours ago, twangster said:

To answer your questions:

Yes

Yes

Yes

and Yes

Also, with college football starting, should those going into a stadium be tested? I

If the CDC is placing these requirements on the cruising industry, then those same requirements should be placed on everything else. But they won't do that because as has been proven, the CDC does not like the cruise lines. I wonder if the CDC Director had a really bad experience on a cruise ship once and now she's like, "Cruising bad, I will make it stop"  

23 minutes ago, twangster said:

What?  I'm booking more every week.  It's a great time to cruise.  No lines, no elevator wait.  

My test results from this morning just came in...

1718022971_ScreenShot2021-09-03at11_48_48AM.thumb.jpg.c4aceaaf8513bb92046a013f48d15919.jpg

I'm cruising this weekend!

Bring.  It.  On.    

Awesome!!!

When we were on Allure last week, we did not have to wait for a single elevator. Our cabin was on deck 14 and we could go all the way to 4 and back up again without stopping.

We have 8 cruises booked with 5 in the next 5 months. Vaccinated early and boostered this week (is that even a word?). Purchased enough Binax tests to cover us and a year's insurance policy. Why, BECAUSE I AM GOING CRUISING AND NO CDC CRAP IS GOING TO STOP ME! Started last month with Adventure and going to enjoy ourselves from our year and a half stoppage of vacations. The ships and folks aboard are cleaner and nicer than what we visit weekly and a whole lot less crowded. Only 3 more weeks till the next one.

5 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

While true, PCR tests don't tell you if you're infectious or not, just if you've been exposed to the virus at some point in the last several months.

It's quite disappointing we're still using test strategies that are a year or more old and that with all the brainpower we have, there hasn't been a more accurate test created.

Untrue - the PCR test (according the the Cleveland clinic) indicates if you have COVID-19.   An antibody test tells you if have been exposed to the virus (not if you are infectious).   It's a very distinct and important difference as a PCR will indicate if you are infectious and is also why an antibody test will not suffice for travel.

PCR is the gold standard and is more sensitive and accurate than antigen testing which is commonly accepted in the US for travel

(and unfortunately not in Canada as PCR are double the cost)

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diagnostics/21462-covid-19-and-pcr-testing

4 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

There hasn't been a more accurate test created b/c they still cannot even isolate the SARS COV-2 virus !

Also untrue - the covid virus has been isolated (last year).  See link for details.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html