Cancellations into 2022?

Hi all. A friend just told me that their feb 2022 cruise (Miami to Caribbean on harmony) just got canceled. I came here immediately since I know you all have the scoop, but I didn’t see anything. I am wondering if it has to do with ports that are not allowing visitors any time soon (my friend thought their Jamaica stop might have something to do with it?). I don’t want to spread rumors, but with a March 2022 being pretty much all I’m living for right now, lol, I was wondering if others had heard of cancellations into 2022. 

If the sailing dates were Feb. 6-13, 2022 I can confirm it is because of an all-ship charter. I'm on the charter. 

I feel so guilty seeing that people's reservations were cancelled because of a charter I'm on! I almost hesitate to confirm this news LOL

I am confused why RCG #1 sold tickets for this sailing and #2 are just now cancelling them. This is my first cruise with this group, but to hear it from others who sailed last year (2019) they booked tickets while on their last cruise and when the opportunity was presented to me I was told the ship was  50% sold and this was back in February. 

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I need to find one of these people that can afford to charter a cruise ship and become friends with them.

In our case it's a conference. Basically we are attending a marriage conference at sea. The conference organizers just decided to book a ship instead of a hotel or conference center to hold their meetings. 

Going to put my two cents in here.  I know exactly what charter this is because I follow this group (the one who chartered the ship) on social media.  I would love to go on a cruise with this group but the timing never works out because it's always in February and I have to teach. 

Anyway, while I love Royal, it is not a very nice thing they did here.  This group announced their charter sailing back in November 2020 and it was already open for booking.  Carlos and Alexa Penavega (who many of you know as the god family of SY) are on this sailing and they posted about back in December 2020 on their own social media pages.  Royal did not cancel this sailing until about a month ago.  Quite a few months went by where they were still taking bookings for a sailing that they had to have known was chartered already.  

So yes, I feel awful for the people who were originally booked on this sailing.  I know of a few and from what I understand, they had booked at really good rates too.  

@Elnozyou'll have to come back and tell me about this sailing.  I have my eye on February 2024 with them.  I think I will be able to swing that year.  Hopefully it's not Carnival they charter that year.  With my luck it will be.

25 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Anyway, while I love Royal, it is not a very nice thing they did here.  This group announced their charter sailing back in November 2020 and it was already open for booking.  ... Royal did not cancel this sailing until about a month ago.  Quite a few months went by where they were still taking bookings for a sailing that they had to have known was chartered already.

I wonder if Royal was waiting until the charter had sold a certain percentage before they canceled people that weren't part of the charter?  I don't know enough about ship charters but it seems reasonable to have contract terms about minimum cabins sold to guarantee the charter.

20 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

I wonder if Royal was waiting until the charter had sold a certain percentage before they canceled people that weren't part of the charter?  I don't know enough about ship charters but it seems reasonable to have contract terms about minimum cabins sold to guarantee the charter.

Hmm, that is a good point that I did not think of.  I don't know enough about charters either to answer that.  All I know is that this group charters a ship every February so they are not new to this.

Over the years I have had 2  RC cruises cancelled because they were chartered out.  One was to a German company.  Both times I was not given very much notice.  Like 1, maybe 2 months.  One was B2B and kinda ruined that whole trip with friends.  But, that is just how it goes, and I just rolled with it and booked something else.   It can be a hard thing to adjust to when given short notice.

8 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Elnozyou'll have to come back and tell me about this sailing.  I have my eye on February 2024 with them.  I think I will be able to swing that year.  Hopefully it's not Carnival they charter that year.  With my luck it will be.

@Lovetocruise200 I will happily report back, but I've been lurking long enough to know you are a suite snob - you'll have to settle for a report from a lowly interior cabin ??

It will be very interesting to me to compare our charter to a typical Harmony cruise that I've read so much about on this forum/blog. 

8 hours ago, Atlantix2000 said:

This would seem a reasonable assumption, except that I do not have a RCG reservation number yet. I have been told we won't get those until this fall when everything is reported to RCG. I wonder if this means that Royal Caribbean doesn't know how many cabins have sold...who knows? I'm hoping that we get it before the big Black Friday Cruise Planner sales and that some of the sale prices will be applicable to our sailing. The ones I've seen so far while lurking here have all said Charters aren't eligible...

7 hours ago, Jill said:

So where/how did the Penavega’s get so rich? They’re like babies lol 

I got sucked into watching Love at Sea this past weekend. I swear I only watched for Harmony ?

They are actors, beginning as child actors. Los is also a musician and was a part of the band Big Time Rush and the Nickelodeon show of the same name. He has been in several movies, including for the Hallmark channel, as well as doing voice over acting for some animated shows/movies. Lex was in the movie Spy Kids and continues to act. They have starred together in several Hallmark channel movies - but it sounds like you already knew that ? Now I've got to find Love at Sea to see Harmony in action ?

9 hours ago, Elnoz said:

@Lovetocruise200 I will happily report back, but I've been lurking long enough to know you are a suite snob - you'll have to settle for a report from a lowly interior cabin ??

It will be very interesting to me to compare our charter to a typical Harmony cruise that I've read so much about on this forum/blog. 

This would seem a reasonable assumption, except that I do not have a RCG reservation number yet. I have been told we won't get those until this fall when everything is reported to RCG. I wonder if this means that Royal Caribbean doesn't know how many cabins have sold...who knows? I'm hoping that we get it before the big Black Friday Cruise Planner sales and that some of the sale prices will be applicable to our sailing. The ones I've seen so far while lurking here have all said Charters aren't eligible...

They are actors, beginning as child actors. Los is also a musician and was a part of the band Big Time Rush and the Nickelodeon show of the same name. He has been in several movies, including for the Hallmark channel, as well as doing voice over acting for some animated shows/movies. Lex was in the movie Spy Kids and continues to act. They have starred together in several Hallmark channel movies - but it sounds like you already knew that ? Now I've got to find Love at Sea to see Harmony in action ?

Love at Sea is of course a hallmark movie ?

12 hours ago, Elnoz said:

Haha.  I will never deny that I am!  But seriously, I am very curious.  Would love to hear about it.

3 hours ago, Jill said:

Love at Sea is of course a hallmark movie ?

I wish I could watch that!  I can't get the Hallmark channel here in Canada.  I miss all the good stuff like Love at Sea and Candace Cameron's Hallmark movies.  I better stop now, probably making others cringe lol

23 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I wish I could watch that!  I can't get the Hallmark channel here in Canada.  I miss all the good stuff like Love at Sea and Candace Cameron's Hallmark movies.  I better stop now, probably making others cringe lol

Heather is a huge Hallmark fan as well, and she watches those Christmas Movies ALL......THE.......TIME..........Maybe I should send you my login info for my cable subscription and you can stream them all to your hearts content. (If there are any Spectrum cable executives on these blogs, please ignore that last comment. Sharing of login info never happens)