Jump to content
Royal Caribbean Blog

Please help us decide. Switch or Stay? Odyssey related


Recommended Posts

My wife and I and our 2 children are booked for April 9th 2021 on Odyssey.  I know we're about 11 months out but with the news that new ships (Odyssey and Wonder) will be delayed, I'm worried.

So I'm looking for advice and opinions.  Keep the Odyssey booking and keep our fingers crossed that the delay doesn't affect our cruise?

Or, book a different cruise?

We really want to go back to Southern Caribbean and that's why we picked Odyssey, new ship with an 8 day Southern Itinerary sailing from Florida.  I also saw that Brilliance has an 8 day Southern sailing from Florida in that same time frame.

As a side note.  Our sailing booked on Odyssey is the last sailing in the Caribbean before it heads to its home port in Rome in May.  Not sure if this will play a factor in Royal Caribbeans plans for this ship.  

Thank you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Huntr104 To put this into context we are to be on the Odyssey Thanksgiving week 2020 and I was fraught with the same decision, to stay put or not. Worried yes, but no. I decided I really would like to sail on the new ship this Thanksgiving but if she is delayed I am comfortable planning another trip last minute.  Honestly I am putting it out of my mind and allowing the "universe" to decide. 

I personally would keep the sailing as it is in 2021 UNLESS you would be devastated not sailing that week. There seems always to be some type of availability so why change now, at least wait until the date is much closer, then jump on another ship if you feel strongly she won't sail. 

I have never sailed the Brilliance so I can't offer an opinion there but like you stated the Odyssey is slated to home port in Rome, that is a lot of extra monies just to get to embarkation, We are excited about sailing her from the States instead of flying over to Rome, unless we wait for her to return and mama does not like to wait! 

In my humble opinion I would keep the booking, but that's me, who knows what surprises will reveal themselves in the future. Good luck, stay healthy & safe! 

confused dog GIF

Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked on Odyssey's inaugural and after the news this week, I have a bad feeling as well.  That led me to do some looking (as I really do want to sail Odyssey sooner rather than later), and I ended up booking the 8 night on Odyssey 03/12/2021.  Now, I did say to a friend yesterday that might be cancelled too depending on how long Odyssey gets delayed for but that is way too far off to predict right now. 

Fortunately for us, we are able to put down the deposit and hold it for now and as @Neesa said, let it play out.  So at the moment, I am holding two bookings for that week in March.  Allure (which I was originally booked for that week but now disappointed that she won't be amped) and Odyssey (in case that inaugural doesn't go through as planned).  I am hoping that by December (final payment time) we will have a more clear picture of what this will look like.  

At the same time, I also grabbed the 8 night on Brilliance that you are talking about, but for July.  I too have been wanting to head back the the Southern Caribbean and the July itinerary on Brilliance has St. Lucia as a port of call.  This is also my Plan B in case I decide not to go the Norway GC.  I have always been a book cruises way in advance person, but this is getting crazy.  I am starting to lose track of all the Plan A, B, C, Ds that I am juggling at the moment lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are booked on Odyssey's inaugural and after the news this week, I have a bad feeling as well.  That led me to do some looking (as I really do want to sail Odyssey sooner rather than later), and I ended up booking the 8 night on Odyssey 03/12/2021.  Now, I did say to a friend yesterday that might be cancelled too depending on how long Odyssey gets delayed for but that is way too far off to predict right now. 

Fortunately for us, we are able to put down the deposit and hold it for now and as @Neesa said, let it play out.  So at the moment, I am holding two bookings for that week in March.  Allure (which I was originally booked for that week but now disappointed that she won't be amped) and Odyssey (in case that inaugural doesn't go through as planned).  I am hoping that by December (final payment time) we will have a more clear picture of what this will look like.  

At the same time, I also grabbed the 8 night on Brilliance that you are talking about, but for July.  I too have been wanting to head back the the Southern Caribbean and the July itinerary on Brilliance has St. Lucia as a port of call.  This is also my Plan B in case I decide not to go the Norway GC.  I have always been a book cruises way in advance person, but this is getting crazy.  I am starting to lose track of all the Plan A, B, C, Ds that I am juggling at the moment lol.

Shoulda gone for 3/28 on Odyssey. That Aruba, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary is about as perfect as an itinerary for my wife. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Can't.  Kids are not out that week.

Eh, just tell the teachers they’ve learned to work from anywhere. We’ll save them some pool chairs while they get their homework done. 
Also, any school system that begrudges a vacation after things get back to normal needs a reality check, so many kids have had their lives put on hold while still forming personalities. We all became who we are from bouncing things off of groups in school. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

We are booked on Odyssey's inaugural and after the news this week, I have a bad feeling as well.  That led me to do some looking (as I really do want to sail Odyssey sooner rather than later), and I ended up booking the 8 night on Odyssey 03/12/2021.  Now, I did say to a friend yesterday that might be cancelled too depending on how long Odyssey gets delayed for but that is way too far off to predict right now. 

Fortunately for us, we are able to put down the deposit and hold it for now and as @Neesa said, let it play out.  So at the moment, I am holding two bookings for that week in March.  Allure (which I was originally booked for that week but now disappointed that she won't be amped) and Odyssey (in case that inaugural doesn't go through as planned).  I am hoping that by December (final payment time) we will have a more clear picture of what this will look like.  

At the same time, I also grabbed the 8 night on Brilliance that you are talking about, but for July.  I too have been wanting to head back the the Southern Caribbean and the July itinerary on Brilliance has St. Lucia as a port of call.  This is also my Plan B in case I decide not to go the Norway GC.  I have always been a book cruises way in advance person, but this is getting crazy.  I am starting to lose track of all the Plan A, B, C, Ds that I am juggling at the moment lol.

I love to plan way ahead too and that's why I think I'm getting nervous.  I'd love to be able to book Brilliance in May of 2021 but there's no possible way I could do 2 cruises that close together.  Do you see any way that I could book Brilliance to lock up a spot and then as we get closer cancel one ?  I'm stumped.  Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Huntr104 said:

Do you see any way that I could book Brilliance to lock up a spot and then as we get closer cancel one ?  I'm stumped. 

I think that with Cruise with Confidence, you have the flexibility to book it and cancel later and get your whole deposit back as FCC.  As long as you don't mind putting down the deposit and you could use the FCC down the road, I don't see any harm in that.  That is what I plan on doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think that with Cruise with Confidence, you have the flexibility to book it and cancel later and get your whole deposit back as FCC.  As long as you don't mind putting down the deposit and you could use the FCC down the road, I don't see any harm in that.  That is what I plan on doing.

Thank you.  That's definitely an option!

Link to post
Share on other sites

So disappointed…..was a great deal....first balcony cruise...scored some "free" dinners....first time on this class of ship..first time sailing on a brand new ship like that...

We are not able to rebook anything else for 2020 due to vacation schedules......and we cant book 2021 vacation till December of this year....so puts us in a real tough and disappointing spot...looks like we lose out on it all....and probably the flights too as we wont have new flights to book before then...

 

2020 sucks and not sure 2021 will be much better when it comes to vacation and travels...

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jeff90 said:

We just booked Odyssey for February 2021. Praying no delay to screws things up. We shall see. 

Should be fine...as of last month, she was on schedule....so booking a cruise 3 months after she was supposed to debut should be ok..

 

However, booking the cruise after her inaugural...not so much...:92_thumbsdown:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 5:45 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think that with Cruise with Confidence, you have the flexibility to book it and cancel later and get your whole deposit back as FCC.  As long as you don't mind putting down the deposit and you could use the FCC down the road, I don't see any harm in that.  That is what I plan on doing.

We are booked on 3/21/2021 on the odyssey as well, and am concerned about it being affected if there was a delay, in ship delivery. Can you have 2 cruises booked at the same time for the same time frame? We have already scouted some cruises that go the same week. I have a refundable fare booked right now for the 3/12/21 sailing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, cman2020 said:

We are booked on 3/21/2021 on the odyssey as well, and am concerned about it being affected if there was a delay, in ship delivery. Can you have 2 cruises booked at the same time for the same time frame? We have already scouted some cruises that go the same week. I have a refundable fare booked right now for the 3/12/21 sailing. 

Yes! I have 3 (double bookings) of those going on right now! Lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cman2020 said:

Haha, that’s awesome. Guess I could book another one with a refundable Deposit, and then Cancel 1, when we know more what’s going on? Would that work ?

I think so.  As long as cash flow (because your deposit will be tied up) is not an issue, you will get it back. 

I have 3 right now double booked:  March 2021 (I have Allure and Odyssey booked), July 2021 (Anthem and Brilliance), and August 2021 (Symphony and Liberty).  Starting to lose track lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I think so.  As long as cash flow (because your deposit will be tied up) is not an issue, you will get it back. 

I have 3 right now double booked:  March 2021 (I have Allure and Odyssey booked), July 2021 (Anthem and Brilliance), and August 2021 (Symphony and Liberty).  Starting to lose track lol.

Curious, did you use a travel agent, or go, directly through RC. I’m booked via Costco on the first one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...