ashonthesea

Favorites at Windjammer

We were on the Symphony in May. Normally, we don't eat dinner in the Windjammer but we did on the last night of the cruise. All the way in the back of the WJ they had this Mongolian type service where you pick out your ingredients for a stir fry and it was absolutely amazing. Actually, it was better than our local Mongolian restaurant. Three thumbs up!

As a Spaniard I can say that what is in WJ is not "Paella" but a kind of rice cooked with a lot of ingredients, far from what a real paella is. Let me say that "Paella" is the container in which the recipe is made. It would be more correct to say "rice in paella".
Well, there are many delicious things in WJ. On this last cruise in addition to the delicious burgers with all their fixins, I really liked Indian food and everything I could find in Avocado Station with different recipes every day.
There were also a couple of days with exceptional ice cream with a lot of toppings in which both my children and I enjoyed it very much.

We rarely eat dinner/supper in WJ but much to my wife's chagrin I do like to do a walk through after we eat dinner.  It seems that there is a theme to each nights dining which leads to different main dishes along with about half of what is available being the same every night.  Although my wife likes to eat in the MDR, I could easily find enough variety in WJ.  In fact some nights I actually see something that makes me wish I had eaten dinner at WJ.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

In that case, I've seen the Windjammer do apple pie "paella" 😂  They really get some good use out of that super huge pan.

Is this what you are referring too? They served this on Grandeur of the Seas on one of the last sea days of a 9 day cruise. I couldn’t believe it!

7275DC75-B274-46D4-9BC3-8BF8EF212128.jpeg

4 hours ago, CruiseGus said:

We rarely eat dinner/supper in WJ but much to my wife's chagrin I do like to do a walk through after we eat dinner.  It seems that there is a theme to each nights dining which leads to different main dishes along with about half of what is available being the same every night.  Although my wife likes to eat in the MDR, I could easily find enough variety in WJ.  In fact some nights I actually see something that makes me wish I had eaten dinner at WJ.

So what's preventing you from grabbing a plate and eating the 2nd dinner there? 😁

On 8/8/2019 at 9:20 AM, WAAAYTOOO said:

Boy I’m gonna hear about this one....but I actually like the hamburgers in the WJ. When I’m just looking for a “bite” I usually grab one.  While they don’t look all that appealing (I’ll concede that), they taste pretty good.  

I agree with you also but why is it that the condiments are before the burgers?  Based on the typical direction of the line.  Makes it odd to put your burger on a bun then go backward to the toppings

7 hours ago, marti314 said:

I agree with you also but why is it that the condiments are before the burgers?  Based on the typical direction of the line.  Makes it odd to put your burger on a bun then go backward to the toppings

Never noticed that !  How funny.

7 minutes ago, ellcee said:

RC Dining has this, odd to some, thing about putting raisins in apple pies. I don't get it. Never had a raisin in my apple pie until my first cruise.

Also, what's with apple pie with cheese on top?

43 minutes ago, FManke said:

Also, what's with apple pie with cheese on top?

A super sharp piece of cheddar cheese on top of a piece of apple pie is pretty good..gives it a nice contrast.

I don't understand the raisins though..is it supposed to give the filling some kind of texture?