Joe01

Harmony LIVE ~ 6/30 & 7/7 ~ Eastern/Western Caribbean

Seems like I'm now "Pinnacle" on here. 🙂

Any tips on how to prevent sunburn in the Caribbean? Got sunburned in London, can only imagine that the Caribbean will be worse. The joys of being Scottish (and a little bit Irish).

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Seems like I'm now "Pinnacle" on here. 🙂

Any tips on how to prevent sunburn in the Caribbean? Got sunburned in London, can only imagine that the Caribbean will be worse. The joys of being Scottish (and a little bit Irish).

Congrats on Pinnacle rank here! 😄

Best advice I can give is:

• Get a sweat-proof and non-greasy sunblock like Coppertone Sport, in at least SPF 15 (30 or 50 is probably better), that blocks UVA and UVB
  • Apply before you even leave your cabin, and bring it with you to reapply every 2-3 hours; even if you don't go in the water and it's a sweat-proof sunscreen you need to reapply more often than you think
  • Don't forget to apply to your ears and the back of your neck below the collar of your shirt; I'm Italian and don't generally burn if I'm sensible, but I can't tell you how many times I've come back modestly tan everywhere but my ears and neck, which got burnt to boiled lobster levels
  • If you're not in the water, have a shirt and shorts on / do your best to keep covered up without looking like a vampire
  • Wear a baseball cap or something else to help protect your face or neck (depending on which way you orient it)

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:
  • If you're not in the water, have a shirt and shorts on / do your best to keep covered up without looking like a vampire

As a fellow Scot, I have to say I've gotten to nearly full vampire look many times. I'm just happier the next day. I swim in a long sleeve shirt always, and I *never* stand/sit/hang out in the sun -- always aim for the shade! Also, SPF 15 is not enough. 

You'll never see any of these people again, so who cares if they think you're crazy 😉 

Two other places to apply sunscreen - just below your adams apple, where the opening to a collard shirt would be...easy to forget.

And experience has definitely taught me to put it just below the backs of your knees, on the upper calves.  You'd be surprised how

badly they can burn if your doing a lot of walking in the sun.

Oh yeah - never forget your feet (just the tops, though).

A BIG CONGRATS on your Graduation!  Also a B2B Harmony cruise to celebrate is definitely the way to go!!!  So very happy for you!  We loved Harmony back in May 2017 and can't wait to get back on Her!  We are doing your exact Eastern Itinerary on September 1st.  I would really appreciate if you could send Matt the Compasses to post!  That would help me a ton.  We have the Ultimate Dining Package for the first time and want to be careful booking times each day around the additional entertainment shows in the compass besides our already prebooked shows we did 2 months ago.  The last time we went on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale and arelooking forward to sailing her out of Pt. Canaveral this time!

I'm definitely on team Cheesecake Factory!  My husband's all time favorite dessert is Cheesecake on top of it!

Enjoy!

Michelle

Congrats on your graduation!  Best way to celebrate is with a cruise (we will be on majesty in 3 days to celebrate my daughter's college grad!).  I hope you have an amazing time.  I totally say Disney is truly amazing.... But super pricey for a one day trip so be prepared.  Cocoa Beach near Orlando is fun but would definitely interfere with your vampire necessity!  So funny the restaurants we take for granted...I totally love Tim Hortons when I go to Canada, but Dunkin here is just a regular old coffee run for me!  I agree with whoever mentioned Disney springs... That's free, gives you a feel for Disney and has some really quality restaurants.  

Again, have a great trip! Jane

On 6/12/2019 at 6:04 AM, Cruising to Retirement! said:

A BIG CONGRATS on your Graduation!  Also a B2B Harmony cruise to celebrate is definitely the way to go!!!  So very happy for you!  We loved Harmony back in May 2017 and can't wait to get back on Her!  We are doing your exact Eastern Itinerary on September 1st.  I would really appreciate if you could send Matt the Compasses to post!  That would help me a ton.  We have the Ultimate Dining Package for the first time and want to be careful booking times each day around the additional entertainment shows in the compass besides our already prebooked shows we did 2 months ago.  The last time we went on Harmony out of Ft. Lauderdale and arelooking forward to sailing her out of Pt. Canaveral this time!

I'm definitely on team Cheesecake Factory!  My husband's all time favorite dessert is Cheesecake on top of it!

Enjoy!

Michelle

I'll make sure to send the Compasses. Might just post them during the cruise - I've now got my hands on a device that allows me to import photos from the camera to laptop, so can post photos/compasses live from the ship.

On 6/12/2019 at 12:30 PM, mom2mybugs said:

Congrats on your graduation!  Best way to celebrate is with a cruise (we will be on majesty in 3 days to celebrate my daughter's college grad!).  I hope you have an amazing time.  I totally say Disney is truly amazing.... But super pricey for a one day trip so be prepared.  Cocoa Beach near Orlando is fun but would definitely interfere with your vampire necessity!  So funny the restaurants we take for granted...I totally love Tim Hortons when I go to Canada, but Dunkin here is just a regular old coffee run for me!  I agree with whoever mentioned Disney springs... That's free, gives you a feel for Disney and has some really quality restaurants.  

Again, have a great trip! Jane

Thanks! I definitely agree that cruising is the best way to celebrate. Not so sure about Disney - it looks fun but expensive and my folks aren't really roller coaster types. One of them is feeling humiliated at the prospect of even going to Orlando so that may be an uphill climb. 

Have fun on Majesty!

16 hours ago, Joe01 said:

I'll make sure to send the Compasses. Might just post them during the cruise - I've now got my hands on a device that allows me to import photos from the camera to laptop, so can post photos/compasses live from the ship.

Wow!  Your new device sounds great!  I can't wait for your big trip!  I'm excited to follow along!  The Grease Musical and the Aqua Theater shows on Harmony are some of the all time greats!

2 hours ago, Joe01 said:

Just had a graduation prom. Final ever event with my school. 

Anyone else get really emotional at the end of a life chapter? 

Those are the moments you will cherish forever!  The fabulous news is Joe you are in for a lifetime of more fantastic moments like that!   

Celebrate!!!!

Michelle

2 weeks until we are onboard. It's getting real now. 

Finally got a hotel booked in Orlando. Fingers crossed that we enjoy it there. Shame that I'm not in the USA during DWTS season though (don't ask my opinion on Bobby Bones winning unless you have an hour to spare).

Thanks for the live blog.  I will be following along.  I have the western Caribbean cruise on Harmony in October with the same ports.  I haven't been to Costa Maya or Roatan either so I am interested to see what you do there.

9 hours ago, Jedi Jason said:

Thanks for the live blog.  I will be following along.  I have the western Caribbean cruise on Harmony in October with the same ports.  I haven't been to Costa Maya or Roatan either so I am interested to see what you do there.

Great to you have you following the blog. Not sure yet about Costa Maya or Roatan. TBH, we rarely find anything to do in the Caribbean ports (we don't like beaches much) but I'll try and provide some info.

1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

1 week & 11 hours until it all begins!

Just checked the flights - got a 6 hour layover in EWR on debarkation day. Do you think we would have enough time to go to Manhattan for lunch?

From my research lately on trips from EWR to Manhattan, I would say that it is not worth it.  You would have to deal with traffic first and foremost.  And then it can be quite costly to even get into the city.  Unless you plan to take public transit like the NJ transit system or PATH train.  But that would still be some travel time and 6 hours is not that much time really by the time you go back and forth.

To add to what @Lovetocruise2002 said, you have to factor in the time to go back through security again. 6 hours when you’re already in the middle of the city is one thing, but 6 hours when you need travel time to/from (figure 1 hour minimum round trip), plus security re-check (at least 30 minutes), is pushing it at lunch rush. Time to find a place, time to get seated, time for food prep and actual eating, time to get back to the mass transit stop or get a cab...

Let’s just say there are reasons I avoid the city even though I live about 30 minutes away...

On 6/20/2019 at 12:49 AM, Joe01 said:

got a 6 hour layover in EWR on debarkation day. Do you think we would have enough time to go to Manhattan for lunch?

This is what you need to take into consideration :

1. you will land most likely in terminal B with 12 more fight from Europe.
2. Most of the flight are with people with the Visa waver program which mean the temp visa being done on the spot , for some flights it takes time , you might have lines between 30 to sometimes 2 hours (depends which flight landed before you). just for immigration 

3. As it is your first gate to the US you will need to take you suitcase in EWR and pass custom, for some reason in EWR it takes a while until they bring the suitcases - 15 - 30 minutes  
4. You have the custom 
 lines , again , depends on how many flight and if they are looking for something it can be between 5 to 30 minutes.
5. after you drop your suitcase again you will need to take the shuttle to rail station - the train comes every 8 to 15 minutes , the ride takes 10 minutes.
6, you will take the train to PEN station  - around 20 -25  minutes 15 $ each way.
7. 15 - 20 minutes using the subway to go were you want to go (or just to walk).
8. 30 minutes back or more depends  how long you will wait for the train.
9 15 minutes to terminal C.
10. 30 minutes security.

Now that you will do with your carry on , is it worse it , well you will do the calculation.