Royal Caribbean Blog

I understand that Canadian and US military (current and past served) receive a discount on cruises.  Why is it that Australians don't?  Isn't it time that RCCL treats all servicemen equally?  Australians stand side by side with the US and Canadian servicemen in an attempt to keep peace in the world.  My husband served 20 years in the Royal Australian Navy but that seems to be worth nothing to RCCLRCCL have said that "retired" Canadian and US military will receive the discount.  They quantify "retired" as enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service.  If RCCL are going to offer the discounts to our friends, the Canadians and Americans, then they should be doing the same for the Aussies, the British and all the allied forces that are serving or have served.  ALL these men and women put their lives on the line when they go into combat.  Australians cruise A LOT and Royal Caribbean have enjoyed bringing their ships Down Under for many, many years to reap the financial rewards of those cruises otherwise, I'm sure, they wouldn't bring their ships here.  Double standards and favouring one over another doesn't sit well with Aussies and that's certainly the message RCCL are sending to the Aussie cruisers.  Come on, RCCL, step up and do the right thing!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As retired U.S. Air Force I feel a bit compelled to weigh in here....with a response that may surprise!  I think they should get rid of the military discount altogether!  Here is why...First, it only

Sad it has taken all these years to come out.  I personally have asked that question many times.   Getting a state discount is a joke also.  Or a senior discount or a disabled discount.  And so on and

Ok... now that I would accept.

Posted Images

We are all just fans of Royal Caribbean here, no employees participate on this site and it isn't run by or affiliated with Royal Caribbean, but I''ll ping @F1guynz for his thoughts since he is in your region.  Perhaps he can send you a private message with any contacts he might have.

I have family in the service so I understand your position.  

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

While Royal technically has a military discount, it almost never applies.  I’ve received a military discount on Carnival and NCL but never on Royal

I was going to offer that but it's a bitter pill to swallow... "North American guests are offered a fake discount, so you aren't missing out." 

Time to let Royal know how guests feel.    

I'm happy to float this boat (excuse the pun 😂) and I just tried to contact Susan Bonner being the relatively new Vice President and Managing Director of Royal Caribbean for Australia and New Zealand via email.  The email address was [email protected].  It's the only one I found after searching.  I just received a bounce back with fatal errors so I guess that address was wrong.  Any help with a contact person/s email would be greatly appreciated.

42 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Sad it has taken all these years to come out.  I personally have asked that question many times.   Getting a state discount is a joke also.  Or a senior discount or a disabled discount.  And so on and so forth.  To all who have served THANK YOU.

Yes, I must say, we have never been able to achieve a senior discount either on any cruise line and we sure fit into that category!

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

I agree , if RCL consider to be an International company they might conclude it for all , the issue I guess it will be problematic to prove it , each country have different documentations ...  they solve it for policeman were you have an international police organization which issue international police card (International Police Association - IPA)

2 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

I'm retired U.S. Army and have never been given a military discount. Sure the place to put it in the booking is there but it never yields anything valuable.

Wow, I'm appalled!  I actually believed the Canadians and Americans were receiving the discounts and the Aussies and Kiwis were snubbed - kinda seen as less deserving.  Apparently not!  This sort of advertising is blatantly playing on the military, seniors and the like to make the company look good - "hey look at us, we're handing out discounts!" - but in the end nothing comes of it.  I've also tried to tick the "seniors" box but it means diddly squat (sorry if this is Aussie slang)!  Come on, isn't it time this stopped?  It's an insult to the military who risked their lives so that others might live.  Shame on RCCL and the other cruise lines doing this.  As I said earlier, we have received military discounts from P&O and Princess so pat on the back to them.  And thanks to @fonemanbob for appreciating the military service alliance.  It works towards keeping our respective countries safe and without that we have nothing.  😘

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I agree , if RCL consider to be an International company they might conclude it for all , the issue I guess it will be problematic to prove it , each country have different documentations ...  they solve it for policeman were you have an international police organization which issue international police card (International Police Association - IPA)

I appreciate what you are saying, Traveler, but surely a certified copy of your Certificate of Service (irrespective of where it came from within the allied countries) provided to the cruise line is good enough?

It's all PR smoke and mirrors.

Never got the military discount, either.  I mean, if you're going to have it as an option, then use it; otherwise, don't even have it 

in the registration process.  It really is a bit of a slap in the face.

Oh, and Flossy, I'm pretty sure "diddlysquat" is universal!  ;-)

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

RCL tends to make their "sales" not combinable with other offers and they always have some form of a "sale" going on, so most aren't able to get a military discount applied because it's either equal or less than the current sale offer.

Hi Ashley, this didn't matter with P&O or Princess here in Australia - it was separate to other offers - just extra OBC added as a "thanks".  It was simply a matter of "yep, you qualify, it's yours".  I live in Queensland but come from Sydney so a bunch of us took a 2 day cruise from Brisbane to Sydney to see friends and family for fun.  The OBC on Princess was $50.  I thought that was pretty good for 2 day cruise.  I personally think it's time that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines advertising these sort of discounts do so or stop advertise them.  It just should be an added irrespective of what offers are on the table.

14 minutes ago, Flossygirl said:

I appreciate what you are saying, Traveler, but surely a certified copy of your Certificate of Service (irrespective of where it came from within the allied countries) provided to the cruise line is good enough?

Should yes , but remember that part of the countries , English is not the official language used on the certificates