Jump to content

Military discounts


Recommended Posts

I understand that Canadian and US military (current and past served) receive a discount on cruises.  Why is it that Australians don't?  Isn't it time that RCCL treats all servicemen equally?  Australians stand side by side with the US and Canadian servicemen in an attempt to keep peace in the world.  My husband served 20 years in the Royal Australian Navy but that seems to be worth nothing to RCCLRCCL have said that "retired" Canadian and US military will receive the discount.  They quantify "retired" as enlisted personnel or officers with a minimum of 20 years of service.  If RCCL are going to offer the discounts to our friends, the Canadians and Americans, then they should be doing the same for the Aussies, the British and all the allied forces that are serving or have served.  ALL these men and women put their lives on the line when they go into combat.  Australians cruise A LOT and Royal Caribbean have enjoyed bringing their ships Down Under for many, many years to reap the financial rewards of those cruises otherwise, I'm sure, they wouldn't bring their ships here.  Double standards and favouring one over another doesn't sit well with Aussies and that's certainly the message RCCL are sending to the Aussie cruisers.  Come on, RCCL, step up and do the right thing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are all just fans of Royal Caribbean here, no employees participate on this site and it isn't run by or affiliated with Royal Caribbean, but I''ll ping @F1guynz for his thoughts since he is in your region.  Perhaps he can send you a private message with any contacts he might have.

I have family in the service so I understand your position.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

While Royal technically has a military discount, it almost never applies.  I’ve received a military discount on Carnival and NCL but never on Royal

I was going to offer that but it's a bitter pill to swallow... "North American guests are offered a fake discount, so you aren't missing out." 

Time to let Royal know how guests feel.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy to float this boat (excuse the pun ?) and I just tried to contact Susan Bonner being the relatively new Vice President and Managing Director of Royal Caribbean for Australia and New Zealand via email.  The email address was [email protected].  It's the only one I found after searching.  I just received a bounce back with fatal errors so I guess that address was wrong.  Any help with a contact person/s email would be greatly appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, fonemanbob said:

Sad it has taken all these years to come out.  I personally have asked that question many times.   Getting a state discount is a joke also.  Or a senior discount or a disabled discount.  And so on and so forth.  To all who have served THANK YOU.

Yes, I must say, we have never been able to achieve a senior discount either on any cruise line and we sure fit into that category!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree , if RCL consider to be an International company they might conclude it for all , the issue I guess it will be problematic to prove it , each country have different documentations ...  they solve it for policeman were you have an international police organization which issue international police card (International Police Association - IPA)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

I'm retired U.S. Army and have never been given a military discount. Sure the place to put it in the booking is there but it never yields anything valuable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, I'm appalled!  I actually believed the Canadians and Americans were receiving the discounts and the Aussies and Kiwis were snubbed - kinda seen as less deserving.  Apparently not!  This sort of advertising is blatantly playing on the military, seniors and the like to make the company look good - "hey look at us, we're handing out discounts!" - but in the end nothing comes of it.  I've also tried to tick the "seniors" box but it means diddly squat (sorry if this is Aussie slang)!  Come on, isn't it time this stopped?  It's an insult to the military who risked their lives so that others might live.  Shame on RCCL and the other cruise lines doing this.  As I said earlier, we have received military discounts from P&O and Princess so pat on the back to them.  And thanks to @fonemanbob for appreciating the military service alliance.  It works towards keeping our respective countries safe and without that we have nothing.  ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I agree , if RCL consider to be an International company they might conclude it for all , the issue I guess it will be problematic to prove it , each country have different documentations ...  they solve it for policeman were you have an international police organization which issue international police card (International Police Association - IPA)

I appreciate what you are saying, Traveler, but surely a certified copy of your Certificate of Service (irrespective of where it came from within the allied countries) provided to the cruise line is good enough?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all PR smoke and mirrors.

 

Never got the military discount, either.  I mean, if you're going to have it as an option, then use it; otherwise, don't even have it 

in the registration process.  It really is a bit of a slap in the face.

 

Oh, and Flossy, I'm pretty sure "diddlysquat" is universal!  ;-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AshleyDillo said:

RCL tends to make their "sales" not combinable with other offers and they always have some form of a "sale" going on, so most aren't able to get a military discount applied because it's either equal or less than the current sale offer.

Hi Ashley, this didn't matter with P&O or Princess here in Australia - it was separate to other offers - just extra OBC added as a "thanks".  It was simply a matter of "yep, you qualify, it's yours".  I live in Queensland but come from Sydney so a bunch of us took a 2 day cruise from Brisbane to Sydney to see friends and family for fun.  The OBC on Princess was $50.  I thought that was pretty good for 2 day cruise.  I personally think it's time that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines advertising these sort of discounts do so or stop advertise them.  It just should be an added irrespective of what offers are on the table.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Flossygirl said:

I appreciate what you are saying, Traveler, but surely a certified copy of your Certificate of Service (irrespective of where it came from within the allied countries) provided to the cruise line is good enough?

Should yes , but remember that part of the countries , English is not the official language used on the certificates  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Flossygirl said:

Hi Ashley, this didn't matter with P&O or Princess here in Australia - it was separate to other offers - just extra OBC added as a "thanks".  It was simply a matter of "yep, you qualify, it's yours".  I live in Queensland but come from Sydney so a bunch of us took a 2 day cruise from Brisbane to Sydney to see friends and family for fun.  The OBC on Princess was $50.  I thought that was pretty good for 2 day cruise.  I personally think it's time that Royal Caribbean and the other cruise lines advertising these sort of discounts do so or stop advertise them.  It just should be an added irrespective of what offers are on the table.

I completely agree it should be an "in addition to" rather than an available discount. 

Unfortunately, Royal doesn't feel the need to compete at the same level for this segment of clientele.  I don't see them heavily touting the discount or advertising it (at least in the US market) aside from it being an option to check when booking.  I don't foresee that changing absent of a lot of negative press.  All you can really do is ask and then take your vacation dollars elsewhere if what Royal offers isn't to your liking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Ok here is my take on this.

I served and I have received discounts here and there, however I have never ever "asked" for them.

I did not serve to get discounts later on in life. If others get discounts and I don't, so be it. I will not ask my "share".

My freedom and that of my family and fellow countrymen is good enough for me.

Thank you for your service and I understand your reasoning. 

To the OP's point though, why should only US and Canada service men and women be recognized for their service?  

Since the discount often doesn't actually apply, it seems odd to proudly offer something that isn't really a thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As retired U.S. Air Force I feel a bit compelled to weigh in here....with a response that may surprise!  I think they should get rid of the military discount altogether!  Here is why...First, it only exists on paper.  It rarely if ever actually gets applied.  Meanwhile you ruffle the feathers of those non-U.S. non-Canadian military personnel.  There is seemingly no problem with state-side companies offering discounts to U.S. service personnel only, as they are stores/restaraunts etc. that are based in thr u.S. and physically located in the U.S. (I would not expect to get a military discount at McDonalds in Japan.....   BUT despite the fact that TC is suposedly a U.S. company, their market is very international including international ports, routes, and indeed crew!  So to only offer the military discount to certain countries defenders slights others and in today's world of reading-to-much-onto-everything could even be viewed as a political statement.  Offering the military discount to ALL military likewise doesn't work..do yo offer the discount to military from opposing countries?  If not, s soon as you elimnate one you make a statement.  Too many pitfalls here.  Get rid of it I say!   (Now, free drinks for veterans i could support!  ?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me I would get rid of it completely, but again my position is that I think this is a market research program under the guise of discounts.

Not one poster here has been able to use it.  Just like they have discounts for certain state residents or age group.  RCCL, just like many hospitality companies will not let you pile on discounts you are eligible for when you book. Again, we are now retired military and hubby works for the govt.  My oldest is currently ADAF living thousands of miles away from our home.  None of us has found that the military discount works for airlines, cruises or hotels.  Disney Shades of Green, yes.  Certain stores, like American Eagle yep.  However, if I contact Marriott today and ask for the rack room rate, 10 will get you 20 it will be cheaper than the military discount, and on top of that they will tell me, just like RCCL that I can't combine the two.

Just saying.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Semi-related question - why do they "offer" a discount based upon which state you live?

Are they more desirous of inland states' passengers, or do they want to sway folks who 

live in a state with an active cruise ship port?   

 

I never have quite understood that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Floski said:

Semi-related question - why do they "offer" a discount based upon which state you live?

Are they more desirous of inland states' passengers, or do they want to sway folks who 

live in a state with an active cruise ship port?   

 

I never have quite understood that.

When I click on the FL Residents Specials box to search for cruises with that discount, it defaults my search to the dates May '19 - Sep '19.  Every single one of the 35 cruises that shows up in the results leaves from somewhere other than Florida..deals on last minute cruises in the Mediterranean and Alaska.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Yep, never have had a military discount apply for any royal cruise we have priced or booked. Sometimes I feel companies have these options  advertised on the website because it looks good  as PR.  It’s a business, that’s fine but then don’t advertise a discount that so rarely applies it’s hard to find anyone who’s ever been able to use it. 

O it's definitely just for PR...sad but true...I went to Alaska last year with Princess and got $200 on board credit for being military...Royal has it's pro/cons for sure just like any other cruise line, but not celebrating military is a huge down fall. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mellibee said:

O it's definitely just for PR...sad but true...I went to Alaska last year with Princess and got $200 on board credit for being military...Royal has it's pro/cons for sure just like any other cruise line, but not celebrating military is a huge down fall. 

I agree with @mellibee.  If one wants to use it as a PR stunt then at least honour it like Princess and P&O or don't offer it at all.  It's misleading.  My hubby and I actually don't care if RCCL take it away because we never got it anyway from RCCL and it seems that no one else has either.

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Since the discount often doesn't actually apply, it seems odd to proudly offer something that isn't really a thing.  

Agree with @twangster.  It's simply a ploy for puffing out chests and gaining brownie points but actually doing nothing for the right to do so.

@Jolly Ogre my hubby didn't serve 20 years in the RAN to get his "share".  He is a wonderful human being and did it for the safety of his fellow man but there is such a thing as fairness and most definitely a difference between right and wrong.  It is our belief that RCCL definitely have it wrong in this case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Pima1988 said:

To me I would get rid of it completely, but again my position is that I think this is a market research program under the guise of discounts.

Not one poster here has been able to use it.  Just like they have discounts for certain state residents or age group.  RCCL, just like many hospitality companies will not let you pile on discounts you are eligible for when you book. Again, we are now retired military and hubby works for the govt.  My oldest is currently ADAF living thousands of miles away from our home.  None of us has found that the military discount works for airlines, cruises or hotels.  Disney Shades of Green, yes.  Certain stores, like American Eagle yep.  However, if I contact Marriott today and ask for the rack room rate, 10 will get you 20 it will be cheaper than the military discount, and on top of that they will tell me, just like RCCL that I can't combine the two.

Just saying.  

Marriott has FANTASTIC military rates. We would go every memorial and Labor Day weekend when we were stationed at Fort Hood to the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country. Never less than 380-500/night for the cheapest garden view room, we never paid more than 129.00/night including holidays and they often upgraded us to pool views.   We are also booked at a Marriott chain hotel for our night before the cruise out of Port Canaveral in August.  They always have super rates.    

Do we expect companies to give discounts no, but if they advertise them- then yah. It’s nice to see if we can save some money.   The problem with Royal is no one everrrrr seems to qualify.   

We love Royal and it’s certainly not a make it or break it for us, but at this point it’s just- remove it already and if you want to say you support the troops for PR purposes or whatever, give veterans or military a welcome drink- helll I would be really happy with one of those writing pens with the floating boats in it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we have mentioned a few other military offers I will tell you about one that totally blows my mind.....here in Colorado (and some other states and Canada) we have a season lift pass called the "Epic Pass".  There are many "flavors of this pass but most range in price from $650-$850 and include skiing in multiple locations.  Last year was the 10th anniversary of this pass.  In celebration they chose to offer a special "Military Epic Pass" since many of the ski areas in Colorado had been founded by members of the 10th Mountain Division after their return from World War II (They had been trained in mountain warfare (and skiing) here in Colorado)......The Military pass which includes close to a dozen ski areas and had unlimited/no blackout date restrictions price?.....$99!!!  Needless to say I grabbed one as a single day pass costs more than that!  It is easily the biggest discount I have ever recieved for being military.....much to my surprise they have renewed it for next year (thought he price is now $125!).......Off subject I know but thought I would share as this far into this thread most likely only military folks are reading anyway........Note this pass is good for retirees and their dependents as well 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jce2 said:

Since we have mentioned a few other military offers I will tell you about one that totally blows my mind.....here in Colorado (and some other states and Canada) we have a season lift pass called the "Epic Pass".  There are many "flavors of this pass but most range in price from $650-$850 and include skiing in multiple locations.  Last year was the 10th anniversary of this pass.  In celebration they chose to offer a special "Military Epic Pass" since many of the ski areas in Colorado had been founded by members of the 10th Mountain Division after their return from World War II (They had been trained in mountain warfare (and skiing) here in Colorado)......The Military pass which includes close to a dozen ski areas and had unlimited/no blackout date restrictions price?.....$99!!!  Needless to say I grabbed one as a single day pass costs more than that!  It is easily the biggest discount I have ever recieved for being military.....much to my surprise they have renewed it for next year (thought he price is now $125!).......Off subject I know but thought I would share as this far into this thread most likely only military folks are reading anyway........Note this pass is good for retirees and their dependents as well 

And look at that, Canadian and Australian qualify:

78695513_MilitaryEpic.jpeg.0a6c4fc002e576b4c57e3f34e4f01318.jpeg

I'm an Epic pass holder, non-military.  This is a great deal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...