Southern Caribbean- Ship or Ports

Hello All,

When looking at Southern Caribbean ports would you lean more towards a bigger ship (Freedom) or more rare ports (Tortola, etc.)

For me, both itineraries are appealing, but I am curious as to everyone else's opinion. I feel like this is a similar conversation as to Alaska...

Those who have sailed S. Caribbean, what ports did you go to and what was your favorite ports?

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ship is less of a factor on this itinerary because it's so port intensive.  If you've never done Southern Caribbean, you can make an argument for Freedom. 

Personally I'd go for the more rare ports just because I've done Freedom and "traditional" Southern Caribbean ports a few times.

Matt, which ports in the S. Caribbean have you been to? what was your favorite

I think once I do E.Caribbean in October, S.Caribbean will be next on my list since there are so many different ports, I'd also eventually like to go back to Cozumel but that isn't going anywhere soon. 

Southern Caribbean was amazing!  I would go with the rarer ports first, and not worry about the ship.  We went on adventure pre-amped and it was fine...big enough to have some room, but not tons of stuff we didn't have time for.  And since the southern Caribbean often goes out of San Juan and it costs more to fly, I was happy to save a bit of money on the ship.  Jane

Navigator 9 night ABC islands Southern Caribbean in February.  

I just did Navigator 9 night to the ABC islands out of Miami in December.  This ship is getting AMPED right now.  Once upgraded she’ll be the best ship to reach into the far Southern Caribbean.  

By cruise industry standard the Voyager class including Navigator is a big ship - bigger than any Carnival ship including their newest ships   

For whatever reason Tortola is more common on Celebrity itineraries.  

I’ve done 1 out of San Juan and I’m planning another one. I would pick one that has ports that are not usually on 7 night itineraries from Florida on a traditional 7 night cruise. St Thomas, st Martin, and even St. Kitts are visited from Florida now. So for my next one, I’m looking for Martinique, Grenada, or th abc islands to the south. Would definitely go back to Barbados and st Lucia. Just my 2 cents.

eric reeves

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

I just did Navigator 9 night to the ABC islands out of Miami in December.  This ship is getting AMPED right now.  Once upgraded she’ll be the best ship to reach into the far Southern Caribbean.  

By cruise industry standard the Voyager class including Navigator is a big ship - bigger than any Carnival ship including their newest ships   

I thought I head seen somewhere that Navigator was going to be doing the shorter cruises to CocoCay once she was amped.....? I know I saw it offering a 3 or 4 day cruise there out of Miami...maybe that is just a seasonal thing for her to share with Marnier?(but isn't Marnier heading to Port Canaveral leaving just Navigator out of Miami to do the 3/4 day Bahamas/Cococay cruises)

I cant keep up!

27 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I thought I head seen somewhere that Navigator was going to be doing the shorter cruises to CocoCay once she was amped.....? I know I saw it offering a 3 or 4 day cruise there out of Miami...maybe that is just a seasonal thing for her to share with Marnier?(but isn't Marnier heading to Port Canaveral leaving just Navigator out of Miami to do the 3/4 day Bahamas/Cococay cruises)

I cant keep up!

She will, eventually.  In the near term she is doing some 5/9 Western/Southern runs.

Thanks All! 

I was on Mariner in November and loved the size of her, and will be on Adventure in October (very excited). When I went on my first cruise ever, they were the largest ships. 

I am not against doing a Celebrity cruise (blasphemy). They have an amazing Southern trip next year that is pretty tempting for my 30th. 

I also saw that Vision and Serenade at doing Southern's (Vision from San Juan, Serenade from PE)...Lots of options in my future! 

I am really interested in going out of SJU because I would like to be able to enjoy the city a little before the trip. I can get some reasonable direct SW flight tickets also which helps.

53 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I am really interested in going out of SJU because I would like to be able to enjoy the city a little before the trip. I can get some reasonable direct SW flight tickets also which helps.

That's the beauty of departing from San Juan - it's a port of call all unto itself so it's like getting an extra 'free' port on your itinerary.  

2 hours ago, twangster said:

She will, eventually.  In the near term she is doing some 5/9 Western/Southern runs.

I really HATE that they are making all of the newly amped ships go on the 3/4 day itins.  We will never do a 3/4 night as it is too expensive to fly in just for a shortie like that.  I wish they would keep some of the amped ships for the longer cruises.  I guess the O may be the first to get amped and remain on the 7 night itin.  We will be on Oasis in early December, very shortly after she gets amped.

Just now, WAAAYTOOO said:

I really HATE that they are making all of the newly amped ships go on the 3/4 day itins.  We will never do a 3/4 night as it is too expensive to fly in just for a shortie like that.  I wish they would keep some of the amped ships for the longer cruises.  I guess the O may be the first to get amped and remain on the 7 night itin.  We will be on Oasis in early December, very shortly after she gets amped.

At least with Navigator they are delaying that a few months.  She converts to 3/4 when Mariner moves to Canaveral.

I'm not a fan of the 3/4 night cruises either.  However that's all part of their 'Perfect Day' strategy.  

Just now, twangster said:

I'm not a fan of the 3/4 night cruises either.  However that's all part of their 'Perfect Day' strategy.  

That's a very observant point (of course it is !!).

Last month, when we were on Grandeur and attended the Suites luncheon, someone asked John Denton (HM) why they were not going to offer the Christmas + NY cruise hereafter (we were on the last one) and he was very honest.  He said that RCCL is pushing the Perfect Day at CoCo Cay and that the longer cruises that did not stop at CC were being re-routed.  Now...why they couldn't just stop at CC and STILL have the Christmas/NY cruise wasn't obvious to me but his honesty in saying that the cruise line is focusing on pushing their private island was somewhat refreshing.  I really like John Denton.  IMO, he is the finest Hotel Manager in the Fleet and why they have stuck him on Grandeur (no offense to Grandeur...but his talents could be so much better put to task on some of the other ships) for at least the past 2 years escapes me.  Normally I do not focus on who any of the officers are.  I don't care who the captain is, I don't care who the Cruise Director is, don't care who the Activities Manager is and normally don't care who the HM is but I am always happy to see JD and I think he does an outstanding job.

If you look at the fleet-wide itins for next holiday season, you will find that there is NOT ONE cruise that covers both Christmas and NY this year or next year.  I really LOVE the longer cruises that cover both holidays.  SOO sorry that they are discontinuing them.

12 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If you look at the fleet-wide itins for next holiday season, you will find that there is NOT ONE cruise that covers both Christmas and NY this year or next year.  I really LOVE the longer cruises that cover both holidays.  SOO sorry that they are discontinuing them.

By separating them they can get 4x the price for two different cruises (one over Christmas and one over NYE).  When it's combined they only get 4x for a single cruise.

5 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

He said that RCCL is pushing the Perfect Day at CoCo Cay

Yeah, just look at the Symphony 2021 itineraries. East & West Caribbean with Coco Cay. Was hoping to do the Symphony but those itins do not appeal to us. ?

2 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The NYE celebration on board is great.  A fun atmosphere.  It gives you that Times Square feeling without the freezing cold weather.

Ooh thats enticing enough. My BF wants to go to Times Square for NYE at some point and I'm over here like... "But we don't like crowds and we don't like the cold..." lol

23 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Ooh thats enticing enough. My BF wants to go to Times Square for NYE at some point and I'm over here like... "But we don't like crowds and we don't like the cold..." lol

Never mind the people who decide that Times Square is the best place to relieve themselves, rather than losing their place in sight of the ball drop. ??

We would rather do New Years eve in the 80 degree Caribbean then below  freezing temps  or a monsoon in Times Square.  Mingling on the Promenade is a no brainer .   Heat stroke is better than frostbite.    We are looking into a cruise to do both holidays. We hate to be  UN LOYAL TO ROYAL.      BUT !!!!!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, mworkman said:

We've done the Southern Caribbean on Serenade and hit the majority of the islands. We are picking up the South American/Caribbean on Serenade this Dec 9th and that should finish us off with all the Caribbean islands.

Which islands did you hit originally? and which did you like best?

13 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

lol, and to add to your point, unless you are at a hotel or bar over looking you're outside for hours and hours with little to no access to bathrooms.