CruiseHabit Ric

Mariner of the Seas Live(ish)Blog 9/17-9/22

The morning in Nassau started with breakfast in the Windjammer. The buffet was so full, the staff offered Jamie’s Italian, which has its entrance in the lobby of the Windjammer as a place to sit. I happened to run into the same couple I had met the day before, so we sat together for breakfast and had another great conversation. While we were sitting in Jamie’s looking out onto Nassau Harbour and the western tip of Paradise Island, someone spotted a waterspout (a tornado touching down over water) in the distance. Even the staff was moving up to the windows to get a better look. A few minutes after the waterspout dissipated, the Disney Dream joined us in port by backing up into the slot right next-door. After breakfast, I took a few minutes to walk around and take in views of Nassau.

While I was walking around the ship, I found the Peek-a-boo Bridge. On the deck above the bridge, the Mariner features windows looking down from a covered deck area into the bridge. In the middle of the area, there is a table with a map of the bridge explaining the bridge positions and functions. There are also two monitors which show the ship’s current navigational information including speed, heading, where we’ve sailed since departing, and where we’re heading to next.

Later in the day, I visited Playmakers with someone I had met at The Bamboo Room the evening before. I noticed in the corner of Playmakers, there was professional lighting equipment and a tripod for a video camera set up. While we were having drinks, the area was staged with food from Playmakers. Then, a cameraman came in and set up followed by Hugo the Cruise Director and his assistant Assata. The filmed some promotional videos for the shipboard tv channel, and thankfully, I was just out of frame.

I went back to my room to take a nap, then woke up to get some food before setting out on the Sunset Harbour Cruise. Most ships visiting Nassau depart before sundown, but this cruise on Mariner of the Seas stayed in Nassau until midnight. This unusually longer time in port gave me the opportunity to do an excursion not normally offered. If you’d like to read more about the Sunset Harbour Cruise, I’ve written an Excursion Spotlight post on CruiseHabit.com. I booked this excursion through the Royal Caribbean Cruise Planner, but it's also possible to book excursions through outside companies. For more information on making that choice, you can check out this article on CruiseHabit.com.

After the Sunset Harbour Cruise, I came back to ship and had dinner. I spent the evening visiting the venues around the ship, and listening to the live musicians. At some point, I returned to The Bamboo Room and tried the On The Run. This is best described as an adult Capri Sun. It’s served in a pouch with a straw. This pouch features a built-in handle — perfect for carrying around.

I ended my night with a stop at Cafe Promenade to pickup a couple of slices of pizza and a sandwich to take back to my room. Once back in my room, I turned on the tv to see the broadcast that Hugo and Assata filmed earlier that day.

IMG_9904.JPG

IMG_9904Z.PNG

IMG_9905.JPG

IMG_9907.JPG

IMG_9908.JPG

IMG_9913.JPG

IMG_9915.JPG

IMG_9941.JPG

IMG_9942.JPG

I found the Peek-a-boo Bridge. On the deck above the bridge

Will you please provide a bit more detail on how I can find this area?  I love finding semi-hidden more private areas.

Also I have read  that the sports level is  a quiet area.  Would it have drink service by sports courts?

2 hours ago, toober93 said:

Will you please provide a bit more detail on how I can find this area?  I love finding semi-hidden more private areas.

Also I have read  that the sports level is  a quiet area.  Would it have drink service by sports courts?

@toober93 Sure. Take a forward elevator to Deck 11. There will be a sliding glass door on the port (left) side leading to a deck. Follow that deck around the the front of the ship, and you'll see the Peek-a-boo Bridge right at the front under a blue awning. There are a couple of steps down, but an elevator for a wheel chair is built into the starboard (right) side of the Peek-a-boo Bridge. I'm pretty sure a crew member has to operate it.

For another semi-hidden area, take the promenade around Deck 4 to helipad at the front of the ship. The helipad is accessible to everyone and even has benches so you can enjoy the sun and wind. There are about 10 steps to get up to the deck. 

The sports deck was very quiet when I went by. That's one thing that I could have done better on this cruise is getting up to the sports deck. It's tough to see it from anywhere else on the ship, and the times weren't listed in the app, so it was a bit "out of sight, out of mind." I don't think there is drink service on the sports deck. The closest bar is the Sky Bar on Deck 12. 

5 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of some of the menus for the specialty restaurants? I will be on her on November and I am curious about the menus. All that are posted on RC Blog are from before the refurb. Thanks.

I got off the ship on Friday. I'm continuing to post here to recap my trip. I'd recommend checking out the same restaurant, but on an Oasis or Quantum class ship. Those menus should be the same for Jamie's Italian and Chops Grille. Here's a link to the Jamie's Italian menu on Anthem of the Seas: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus/jamies-italian-dinner-menu-anthem-of-the-seas

One difference between lunch and dinner is that the lamb scottadita is only served at dinner.

5 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

Would it be possible to get a picture of some of the menus for the specialty restaurants? I will be on her on November and I am curious about the menus. All that are posted on RC Blog are from before the refurb. Thanks.

24 minutes ago, CruiseHabit Ric said:

I got off the ship on Friday. I'm continuing to post here to recap my trip. I'd recommend checking out the same restaurant, but on an Oasis or Quantum class ship. Those menus should be the same for Jamie's Italian and Chops Grille. Here's a link to the Jamie's Italian menu on Anthem of the Seas: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/menus/jamies-italian-dinner-menu-anthem-of-the-seas

One difference between lunch and dinner is that the lamb scottadita is only served at dinner.

I don't know about Chops but the Jamie's menu was not the same as Anthem or Harmony.  It was similar but not identical.  I am a huge fan of the arancini from Jamie's and Mariner did not have that. Here is the Jamie's menu from Mariner (photo credit to Nick Vitani). @twangster also just sailed Mariner, he may have menus in his photo vault.

IMG_1238.thumb.JPG.cea0b2d11b791c644638e52df96578aa.JPGIMG_1239.thumb.JPG.4705eb090557537489ff6d6c4bf79e81.JPG

On 9/24/2018 at 11:29 AM, monctonguy said:

Looks good....every picture and review of the ship gets me more excited to be on her in 27 days!....sounds and looks like playmakers and bamboo rooms are 2 musts!

We will be on the 10/21 sailing also... SO Excited!