Should I really pack it ? ...

Traveler

As part of pre packing preparations for my next cruise (I can only blame some FB group for starting today), I tried to figure out why my suitcase wight so much. I went over the stuff that are being left in it between flights and cruises, here are some and my excuse for carry them. Am I over packing , maybe ...

stuff.thumb.jpg.5c3e3b126e4b1826c0461737845c8b30.jpg

Some extra thrush bags , always good for dirty cloths and packing bottles.  Zip bags , 

disposable cutlery - Mainly for pre cruise if I want to buy something in the supermarket to eat .

wide tape - for the suitcase tags (anti rain system) and for bottle packing.

Small tape - Fix small things , I even fixed my old passport with it once.

small cutter - to help me create packing boxes for bottles and the tags.

Matches - From Farvor steak house in Buenos Aires (very recommended, the restaurant not the matches) 

Nyquil bottle - our saver if catching cold , and now the pills are not the same :-

Screwdriver - to fix eyeglasses, basic electronics (which mean I will open the device which is not working , look on it , do not know what to do and close it again) , Picked up in Fry's , I should be allow to go to this store (at least my spouse would prefer me avoiding it).

Small fake Lederman , the Original was stolen  - goof also as a door stopper .

Emergency antibiotics - Mainly for the times I travel to Asia and South America. 

Anti stain wipes - actually they never work , but will give them last chance.

As you can see you can also call it my nerd kit ...

Any strange things you pack and never use ? 

The picture of your "stuff" looks about right to me.  I pack like that and then some.  I pack a lot of "stuff" in terms of very small incidentals like you that I rarely have used, HOWEVER, when you need something (for instance bandaids and antiseptic) you need it immediately.  If the ships in port, the ship's stores are closed so you can't get anything there.  You hate to waste your time seeing the doctor for something so small if they even have office hours at that time.   When you get off the ship in port, now you have to find a drug store to get that necessary item, so you waste a lot of time there looking for a drug store.  I'd rather come well equipped for every minor emergency then not have it and be miserable.  Way to go!!!!

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've brought matches on a couple cruise lines.  They work in a bathroom if only briefly used.  Sulphur covers many odors.  I'm always surprised when they don't get confiscated but don't you dare bring a simple extension cord.  

Exactly , sometime matches can save the day ::-) 

14 hours ago, rjac said:

You left out an ambidextrous wine bottle opener, how gauche. :3_grin:

No corkscrew....NO problem.    First, you remove the protective foil covering the top of the bottle (known as the "capsule.") Then, you place the bottom of the bottle inside the shoe to protect the glass, and then bang the sole of the shoe against the wall repeatedly until the cork eases out of the bottle.

14 hours ago, Traveler said:

As part of pre packing preparations for my next cruise (I can only blame some FB group for starting today), I tried to figure out why my suitcase wight so much. I went over the stuff that are being left in it between flights and cruises, here are some and my excuse for carry them. Am I over packing , maybe ...Any strange things you pack and never use ? 

Most of those things I don't even have at home....can't imagine why I would go buy them to go on a cruise.  

Here's a neat little tool that fits in my wallet, it's called a "pocket monkey" and comes in very handy. https://zootility.com/products/pocketmonkey. What can it do you may be asking?  How about a Bottle Opener, Flat Screwdriver, Philips Screwdriver, Micro Screwdriver, Phone Kickstand, Bottle Opener, Letter Opener, Door Latch Slip, Hex Wrenches, Ruler, Headphone wrap, Straightedge and Orange Peeler. Check it out, had no problem at ship security with it this past March either. :27_sunglasses:

3 minutes ago, rjac said:

Here's a neat little tool that fits in my wallet, it's called a "pocket monkey" and comes in very handy. https://zootility.com/products/pocketmonkey. What can it do you may be asking?  How about a Bottle Opener, Flat Screwdriver, Philips Screwdriver, Micro Screwdriver, Phone Kickstand, Bottle Opener, Letter Opener, Door Latch Slip, Hex Wrenches, Ruler, Headphone wrap, Straightedge and Orange Peeler. Check it out, had no problem at ship security with it this past March either. :27_sunglasses:

Thanks , I saw something like that that was offered in the in flight duty free magazine and wanted to check it out. I might try to order it.